HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.1" and my weight has stayed within about two pounds (give or take a random jump for whatever reason) for about 1 year. However I am desperately clinging to the smallest hole on my favourite belt even though it's now too big and I have a stack of jeans that haven't fit me for months that I should really sell. My shirts have become tight in the arms and almost sloppily loose in the body. So change happens off the scale!

I lift heavy 3X a week and do about 20 min of interval sprinting and/or stairclimber 1-2 times a week if I feel like it.

(that being said....I'd really like to get a bit of a cut going and see how my body would look 10lbs lighter but haven't sorted out my TDEE/macros etc yet...)
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mek5w7nbpL1ra4tnt_zps88547198.gif

You look incredible! The rest of us heavy lifting 'BULKY OMGZ' women salute you! :drinker:

this ! cheers :drinker:
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    Hi, I love this thread! I started again SL last week Monday and wondering how long did it take to lose weight or see a difference?

I'm 5'2 and 141lbs I started beg of Feb and lost 7lbs in 1 week with cardio and deficit 1350 cals max. I then started SL last week Monday and I've gained back 4.4lbs! I almost fainted and Sunday i ate over 2200cals

how else can i track my progress and keep motivated? I'm a bit agitated because nothing fits with weight gain and I cant buy new wardrobe...

I agree with the above, forget the scale. I honestly touch that thing once a month or two and it never goes anywhere. Remember that progress takes time, after 3 months, I hardly went down two inches total. Most importantly, DO NOT get discouraged if things fit a bit tighter. I can't wear my pants from 3 months ago, but boyyyy... does my butt look fabulous :) Your body will change, take some pictures, I found they are the best motivation for me. Each workout I take a picture of whatever body part I felt looked fabulous that day (back, biceps, calves, butt), so almost monthly, I can go back and see my muscle definition progress.
  • RolemodelmomT
    RolemodelmomT Posts: 107 Member
    Options

@cherriegh Stop it. Just stop it. Put the breaks on the freak out.

While you were pounding away with low calories and doing your cardio, part of the 7 pounds you lost is likely definitely muscle.

Take into account that your muscles will hold on to water to repair themselves. I've noticed I can be up by up to 6 pounds, for myself. It's nothing. Drink lots more water and move along.

1) Get off the scale. It doesn't take body composition into account. Your weight fluctuates more than the stock market anyway.
    2) Determine your TDEE and eat more. You're body will need it for building those dense, slimming, but weighty muscles.
    3) Get a measuring tape, it's a lifesaver.
    4) Take those horrifying 'before' photos. It feels good to have them for comparison after several weeks.

After a YEAR of eating 1300-something calories and losing 56 pounds, I started weight lifting with SL in January. January 9th to be precise. I weighed 164 pounds and, as of today, I weigh 166.4, I lifted yesterday so some water might be in there. In that time (almost 6 weeks) of diligent lifting, I've lost 2.5 inches off my waist and 2 inches off of my hips and GAINED WEIGHT. :scream:

But now I wear a size 8 pants instead of size 10 at the same-ish weight I was almost 6 weeks ago. Weight wise, my body can do whatever, and at the end of this month I'll be taking more progress photos for myself to compare to.

ETA: The time frame at which you begin to see results depends on your effort, your diet, your diligence, your genetics, and epigenetics. It varies person to person and how close you are to your goals to begin with.[/quote]

How many times does this need to be repeated until a mind will finally accept it? I'm so stubborn. I know this, but every couple months it gets me down. But, upward and onward!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    From January to November of last year, I lost about 65 lbs. Since then, I've been stuck at roughly the same number on the scale, gaining and losing the same 5-7 lbs. I started lifting heavy again in November and hoped to encourage the number on the scale to drop, but it didn't...it stayed the same and I became increasingly frustrated. This time, however, I decided to trust the process and determined that I wouldn't let the number on the scale dictate my progress or success. After all...I was getting much stronger and loved the feeling of lifting. It was just hard to wrap my mind around doing all that work and not seeing the payoff on the scale.

Anyway, I decided to compare some pictures of myself from November 2015 to February 12, 2016 and there is exactly a one pound difference. I was pleasantly surprised! I don't have and online album to share my pictures, but my profile picture is my most recent comparison shot. Hope you guys can see it and the difference weight lifting has made. TRUST THE PROCESS even when the scale doesn't move!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think I figured out how to attach a picture. Here's my progress...exactly one pound difference in weight, but a pretty good difference in size. I hope you guys can tell.

2ank9iaj118e.jpg

Fantastic progress. Hopefully the scale catches up to what your pictures are showing, but this is the perfect example of why you shouldn't let the scale get you down.

You look great!!!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I think I figured out how to attach a picture. Here's my progress...exactly one pound difference in weight, but a pretty good difference in size. I hope you guys can tell.

Fantastic progress. Hopefully the scale catches up to what your pictures are showing, but this is the perfect example of why you shouldn't let the scale get you down.

You look great!!!

THANKS SO MUCH! :smile:
  • gandssmith
    gandssmith Posts: 67 Member
    Options

2ank9iaj118e.jpg

That's amazing! There's a huge difference!!! The scale definitely doesn't tell the whole picture. Keep up the great work!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options

2ank9iaj118e.jpg

Yes! The difference is totally visible! Way to go!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Great progress!@Reinventing_Me
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    @Reinventing_Me ... WOW!! :)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    @Reinventing_Me yes, can totally see a difference! Great work!
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    @becbo22 You look absolutely amazing!! Nice transformation. What program you followed and for how long to get these results!!
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @mora982 I didn't follow a specific program but I started out with dumbbells at home, doing basic bicep curls, triceps extensions, ab work, etc. I now do full body strength training 3x a week including deadlifts and squats and hit cardio 6x a week. Once I get down to my goal weight I plan to hit the weights harder and start building some more muscle. For now my goal is just to maintain the muscle I have as I lose fat.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Also @mora982 I've been working on this transformation for over 2 years but took a long break in the middle. I've gotten more serious about lifting for about the past 3 months.
  • TinekaGetsFit
    TinekaGetsFit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!