The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    February goal—None first 1/2 on February 7…just going to try for as many miles as possible in February

2/2—5.2 ish km—the groundhog wouldn’t see his shadow if he existed here
    2/4–3.2 km
    2/7—21.09 km—Condura skyway marathon. Didn’t get the time I wanted as I had to walk a lot due to the heat and humidity and hills. Gee…I thought I was trained and ready.
    2/17—4.78 km
    2/18—4.87 km
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ -Be careful! If you are at all a numbers geek, the Daniels table can suck you in for a good hour or so on any given day!

FWIW, the Daniels table is pretty spot on for me based on my HM PR. It even has my HR nailed down pretty well for each of my paces. But I agree with @Stoshew71 , the term "tempo" is really pretty general. I try not to over think it. My bottom line is that I want to make those 20% moderate/hard miles really count, so I just focus on pushing myself out side of my comfort zone for whatever it is I am doing that day. Whatever I end up with is what I get. Of course, I have goals and numbers in mind, but if at the end of the workout if I can ask myself if I gave it my all and honestly say "yes", then I feel like the workout was a success.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew
    2/7: 18 miles LR
    2/8: 6.1 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/9: Rest day
    2/10: 7 miles speedwork (am), 10 miles (pm)
    2/11: 6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/12: Rest day!
    2/13: 14 miles with Saturday crew
    2/14: 7 miles
    2/15: Rest/lazy day
    2/16: 5 miles
    2/17: 5 miles (am), 12 miles (pm)

This run felt like a comedy of errors in the later middle miles. Sometimes when I do afternoon long runs, I don't get the bathroom timing quite right. So about 2 miles in, I realize I need to pee. And I was going to stop at a port-a-potty around mile 7, but there were a bunch of kids around (who looked strong enough to push over a free-standing port-o-john...) so I waited til the next one. Which was at about 9.75 miles. And between those two spots, I almost biffed it on a rock entering the canal trail, got stopped by geese crossing my path/yelled at the geese for a while to get them to move along, and then had to zig-zag around mud pits on the trail. Then finally, the port-a-potty! There are few things better than getting back into a run with an empty bladder :)

I just about threw in the towel after the geese though. I loathe geese. I am convinced they all want to bite me (an unfounded assumption, I know). Glad I stuck it out. The last couple miles were great and it ended up being a good run overall, even if I spent at least 6 miles thinking I may pee myself at any moment.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift >I am convinced they all want to bite me (an unfounded assumption, I know).

As someone who grew up in the countryside...that is not unfounded at all. geese are worse than satan
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ -Be careful! If you are at all a numbers geek, the Daniels table can suck you in for a good hour or so on any given day!

FWIW, the Daniels table is pretty spot on for me based on my HM PR. It even has my HR nailed down pretty well for each of my paces. But I agree with @Stoshew71 , the term "tempo" is really pretty general. I try not to over think it. My bottom line is that I want to make those 20% moderate/hard miles really count, so I just focus on pushing myself out side of my comfort zone for whatever it is I am doing that day. Whatever I end up with is what I get. Of course, I have goals and numbers in mind, but if at the end of the workout if I can ask myself if I gave it my all and honestly say "yes", then I feel like the workout was a success.

Yup. I try and focus on the purpose of each run. Like Long Runs are supposed to be at your easy conversational pace that last between at least 90 minutes to 2-1/2 hours max. The purpose is to stay in that aerobic zone where you have plenty of oxygen so your body will eventually stop using glycogen so much and use more percentage of fat for energy. The long runs are supposed to stimulate that need for the body to create more enzymes and practice that fat utilization process. The more you do it the better you will become at using fat for fuel and the quicker that transition from glycogen burning to fat burning. The long time on your feet also builds up a good physical and mental endurance/strength too and gives you the confidence you need to run longer races.

I haven't done much speed work but your VO2max workouts are supposed to help with aerobic efficiency and power. Your repetion is supposed to help with turnover rate and your running economy.

Tempo, and again I use that term loosely is supposed to help your endurance.

Your easy runs are supposed to help your cardio vascular system. The longer (over the course of many weeks) you run at this easy pace, the stronger your heart becomes, the more hemoglobin (the amount of oxygen your blood can carry) you have, the more and bigger your mitochondria get (oxygen power houses). So it helps your LT by delaying how fast you need to run to reach LT because the more oxygen you can deliver and the more efficient you can use oxygen, this will make you have to run faster to produce more lactate.

But tempo's help on the other side of the coin of endurance. lactate clearance. In order to reach LT not only do you have to create lactate, but create so much of it faster than you can clear it. So if you can improve your ability to clear lactate then that also improves LT. So there are so many different "tempo" workouts. We already discussed a bunch of them (cruise intervals, tempo intervals, LT steady pace, steady state). But when you run a pace for an amount of time to where you begin to accumulate so much lactate in your blood, you stimulate the body's ability to clear and use that lactate. You can do lactate threshold long runs for example. Run 1 mile around LT or a lil faster, then run the next mile at easy or marathon pace (so your body clears the lactate), then the next mile run at LT again and keep switching between the 2. The purpose is to purposely make lactate, then have the body clear it, then make more lactate.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift >I am convinced they all want to bite me (an unfounded assumption, I know).

As someone who grew up in the countryside...that is not unfounded at all. geese are worse than satan

Agreed! Geese are the worst, I've been chased away from dumpsters and been trapped in my car by geese that hung out by a place I used to work. There were a couple that wanted to hang out by the ponds my husband had put in and I freaked.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Oh, don't get me started on geese! Sometimes it is hard to find something positive about those things! Between the never ending blocking of traffic, relentless geese attacks from all the geese who nest in all of the bushes around all of the houses, buildings everywhere (always by the front door for some reason), to all of the freaking goose poop!!! GAH!!!
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 & @ceckhardt369 & @WhatMeRunning I'm glad I'm not alone in my sentiments toward geese! Everyone in my running group makes fun of me for being skittish toward them. But between those beady eyes and sharp beaks... what a menace!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Feed the geese dry rice (supposed to expand in their wet stomachs and explode their tummies) or Alka-Seltzer tablets. :-)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm not even sure I can get enough of those in bulk from Sam's Club or Costco for the geese around here. :lol: There are literally millions and millions of them. Every tiny little pond has a good hundred or so around it, and any larger bodies of water...fuh-geddaboudit!!!

Funny story though, maybe, at least I thought it was funny...

Everyone used to love going to the local parks and feeding the geese pieces of bread. One local park about 15 years ago chased me and my wife off from doing that (it was one of my wife's favorite things). The ranger told us that it domesticates the wild geese and ducks who get fat, slow and don't migrate any more and just hang out all year to get fed. Then when the time of year comes that the eagles arrive it is not even a challenge for the eagles to eat and they pig out on the fat, slow geese and ducks. That in turn started to have an effect on the eagles who didn't really hunt any more and were hanging out longer than usual. So they had to shut down the "eagle feeding program".

So the next time you are feeding the geese/ducks, an eagle thanks you apparently!

I still have never seen an eagle take out a goose. Not that I doubt it is possible. Just haven't seen it yet. I have seen them take some fairly large creatures though, and I saw a video once of a golden eagle taking out a small deer.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

As someone who grew up just a few blocks from this cesspool, I concur

vfiles18975.jpg
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @7lenny7 THAT IS TERRIFYING. Careful, someone may flag you ;)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The only birds scarier than geese in my opition: swans.
    They look so pretty when they are on the water (and far away), but man, those guys can be really mean if you get too close!
    Though I would totally start feeding the swans, despite all risks to my fingers, if feeding them meant I might watch an eagle swoop in and fly away with a swan in its beak >:) (Or does that only work with geese and ducks?)

Has anyone ever done a vVO2max test?
    There is a running workshop at a hospital in my area in two weeks where you can do one for free. Only catch: you can't sign up online, you have to register in place. I'd have to get up at 6am on Saturday to get there in time, and I'll have to get up early on Sunday as well (in that case, for a ~5k race). That'd be really tough, because I love sleeping in on the weekend ;-)
    Would having that number be of any use to me, or can I get the same planning benefits by planning my training following the Jack Daniels HR math?
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Swans may be able to fight off an eagle with their wings... it's swans that can break an arm with their wings, right? I just stay away from all non-duck water fowl as a rule.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 -- eeks! I can't even watch those spider videos.

Spiders and now geese! This is a scary place!

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - Strength training 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - New PR 2:18:57!!!
    Feb 8 - 3.05 mile recovery run.
    Feb 9 - 1 hour spinning class
    Feb 10 - Strength training
    Feb 11 - 6 miles
    Feb 12 - recovery day
    Feb 13 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 14 - 36 mile bike ride
    Feb 15 - 7.5 miles
    Feb 16 - 3.6 miles
    Feb 17 - strength training

exercise.png

3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Since we are on the subject of geese, I will tell you all this embarrassing story of mine. I shared it on the LDR group last spring, so some of you may remember it (I think you commented on it @kristinegift because I remember feeling glad to know I was not the only one to avoid geese). So anyway, here goes. I was running on a spring (think mating season) afternoon around a busy, busy intersection. You know, strip malls with Target and Pier One and pretty little retention ponds full of lovely little geese. Well, I ran by this goose and just caught her out of the corner of my eye, sitting in the grass. As I ran by, she hissed at me loudly. I continued to run, thinking I was in the clear, when the next thing I know she flew up behind me, squacking loudly and landed on my head! Right at the corner of this busy intersection. She sprayed me with some foul liquid, which I thought was poop, but it was clear, or at least it was not detectable. Nasty. Just nasty. Then she just flew away. I know everyone in the cars were getting a good laugh out of it. I just was hoping nobody pulled out their cell phones and took video. I didn't know what to do. I cussed her out of few times (which I'm sure did a lot of good) and tried to wipe whatever goo was on my head off. Then I just continued on with my run. But it was not a good experience. Now, whenever I see geese I yell at them before they have a chance to yell at me. I hate those little a-holes!
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @lporter229 That's so gross!! I didn't know geese had skunk-like abilities! I do recall this from last spring, but it's just as awful upon retelling!!
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I will never again complain about being chased by geese!! That is the most awful thing I can imagine happening!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 , @_nikkiwolf_ Yipes! I'm lucky, no geese. Just worry about wild pigs, rabid coyotes, and snakes.
    @lporter229 Ewwww! So horrible!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure I can get enough of those in bulk from Sam's Club or Costco for the geese around here. :lol: There are literally millions and millions of them. Every tiny little pond has a good hundred or so around it, and any larger bodies of water...fuh-geddaboudit!!!

Funny story though, maybe, at least I thought it was funny...

Everyone used to love going to the local parks and feeding the geese pieces of bread. One local park about 15 years ago chased me and my wife off from doing that (it was one of my wife's favorite things). The ranger told us that it domesticates the wild geese and ducks who get fat, slow and don't migrate any more and just hang out all year to get fed. Then when the time of year comes that the eagles arrive it is not even a challenge for the eagles to eat and they pig out on the fat, slow geese and ducks. That in turn started to have an effect on the eagles who didn't really hunt any more and were hanging out longer than usual. So they had to shut down the "eagle feeding program".

So the next time you are feeding the geese/ducks, an eagle thanks you apparently!

I still have never seen an eagle take out a goose. Not that I doubt it is possible. Just haven't seen it yet. I have seen them take some fairly large creatures though, and I saw a video once of a golden eagle taking out a small deer.

Some badass eagles!