What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 13 out of 40 lbs, but I was shocked this morning when (after realizing I'd gained a pound), I looked in the mirror and the image I saw made me feel like I had gained 10. Thankfully it motivated me to drink a lot of tea and water, so I can now see me in the mirror at my current weight and see the changes, but I couldn't believe how much my mind tricked me this morning.

Soooo true. So so true.
  • Kad4072
    Kad4072 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think back to when I was getting started on a healthier plan, and the challenges I felt to control my eating, like craving sweet or salty foods. Now, the cravings have become much less challenging and I have learned to reach for better choices like an orange. I still eat foods that I love, but in moderation and 1 serving size. Once I got into a healthy behavior plan and practiced it daily, it does get easier. This is something I didn't think was possible.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    That no matter how far you come all it takes is a snowballing effect to knock you off track. Thankfully once you recognize the pattern you can get back to being on top of things.

Some days you'll look in the mirror during your journey and struggle with whether you like the new you you're becoming or not.
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    Nobody told me I would become overly judgmental of others who claim to want to lose weight but fail. A few members, including me, of an all female weight loss group on Facebook are challenging each other to see who can lose the most weight in February. One of the participants has maintained her weight in the last two weeks.This annoys me deeply for some reason. I just don't understand why she would say she wanted to participate but she isn't putting in any effort at all? Another girl in it refuses to post pictures of the scale as proof to her weight loss. We have girls of all levels participating so she has no reason to feel this way. We all also personally know each other so no one would be mean or rude to her even if she was the biggest. This week she didn't even post a weekly check in at all. I saw the challenge as motivation and it has worked. It's only 29 days, come, on!
  • MABMomma
    MABMomma Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Becoming OBSESSED with Tupperware. I recently had to arrange my entire kitchen to give my Tupperware collection its own cabinet.

You also don't realize that your weight rewards no longer revolve around food. My new rewards are shoes or gym clothes.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    That no matter how far you come all it takes is a snowballing effect to knock you off track. Thankfully once you recognize the pattern you can get back to being on top of things.

Yes, I didn't realize how scary the falling part of it was until I was in it three weeks. I've had minor set backs before but nothing like the last three weeks where I gained 7 lbs. Then, out of nowhere, I'm back on track and calculate 3 weeks to make up for the setback. Almost two years doing this, it showed me how easy it is to really undo hard work... I mean EASY...lol

• valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ladidido wrote: »
    5. I poop only once every other day.

I poo much more regularly, now, lol.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1. How small measured out portions actually are
    2. Loose skin hangs everywhere (Finger tips, under-arms, knees, ankles, eye lids, wrists, etc)
    3. 'Rolls' don't just magically disappear, they lose mass, get squishy and shrink down (huge eye opener for me!)
    4. Losing weight can shrink your shoe size (Had no clue my feet were overweight?)

Not sure if this is true for everyone, but I find it's hard to see the change in myself. I am still completely delusional on what I see in the mirror.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    1. How small measured out portions actually are
    2. Loose skin hangs everywhere (Finger tips, under-arms, knees, ankles, eye lids, wrists, etc)
    3. 'Rolls' don't just magically disappear, they lose mass, get squishy and shrink down (huge eye opener for me!)
    4. Losing weight can shrink your shoe size (Had no clue my feet were overweight?)

Not sure if this is true for everyone, but I find it's hard to see the change in myself. I am still completely delusional on what I see in the mirror.

I am the same way, expet My feet have stayed the same size. I use portion size just as a way to calculate calories. I will have double portion of somethings and half size portion of others. Their is no rule that says you have to follow the portion size on the container. WE just have to fit the calories into our budget.
  • WiiWiiWii
    WiiWiiWii Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    *How cold it gets in the winter.
    *How you'll go down one size in shoes.
    *How men don't avoid eye contact with you anymore.
    *How men and women start holding doors open for you.
    *How people aren't embarrassed to talk to you about a fattening recipe in the grocery store.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    35lbs down and people are already a lot nicer. I'm kinda afraid how 100lbs is going to feel like socially. Culture shock?

I can now borrow clothing from 'normal' weight friends. :)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Unless peoople call me a nasty, stupid, *kitten* I take their commnets positively. If they say that I look like I don't need to loose any weight I say thank you.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    BoogeyBrat wrote: »

Your winter coat is now more like a small pup tent. You could fit another person with you in there if you had to in a pinch.

Ha! I donated my size 24 tent and I just bought a beautiful, size 12, leather jacket at the thrift store for $6.50.

I'll have to remember to look for my coat in the camping supply section!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    BoogeyBrat wrote: »

Your winter coat is now more like a small pup tent. You could fit another person with you in there if you had to in a pinch.

Ha! I donated my size 24 tent and I just bought a beautiful, size 12, leather jacket at the thrift store for $6.50.

I'll have to remember to look for my coat in the camping supply section!

I hear that- my coat was not keeping me warm anymore as it was more like wearing a balloon or something. So I looked for a new one last weekend because this time of year they are on clearance anyway. Found a style I liked and saw that they only have large or small. I didn't think a small would fit but it did. A small- what? Plus it was 70% off. Win.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!