What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• Trent1612000
    Trent1612000 Posts: 57 Member
    kar328 wrote: »
    That I could run a 5K without walking, hope for under 32 mins and actually do it in 30:07. At 51.

Well Done!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I am always cold now ... And I have such a problem finding jeans - always too big on waist and umm def fit on hip and thighs - I guess my waist is smaller than I thought

Try low rise jeans. They're made to hit at the hips, rather than the waist. :smile:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I am always cold now ... And I have such a problem finding jeans - always too big on waist and umm def fit on hip and thighs - I guess my waist is smaller than I thought

Try low rise jeans. They're made to hit at the hips, rather than the waist. :smile:

Jeans are tough for me too, my thighs are the problem area now. Low rise and I don't get along, I always feel like they are falling down :)
  • Candothis
    Candothis Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2015
    Bump
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    How strong and fast your fingernails would become! I used to take supplements to make my nails strong, now I just get healthy foods in me and it takes care of itself!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    I have a long commute on mass transit, so hard seats. I miss my butt padding. :p
  • jmarchante24
    jmarchante24 Posts: 30 Member
    I've only lost 13 out of 40 lbs, but I was shocked this morning when (after realizing I'd gained a pound), I looked in the mirror and the image I saw made me feel like I had gained 10. Thankfully it motivated me to drink a lot of tea and water, so I can now see me in the mirror at my current weight and see the changes, but I couldn't believe how much my mind tricked me this morning.

THIS IS TRUE YOUR MIND CAN PLAY ALOT OF TRICKS ON YOU, IT HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME, ALSO
    I ALWAYS SEEM TO LOOK SMALLER OF BIGGER DEPENDING ON THE MIRROR I LOOK IN..

• lisaann0712
    lisaann0712 Posts: 7 Member
    This thread is amazing! I am just starting out (my first week) and I can not wait be able to post some things here.
  • MrsSgtBerger
    MrsSgtBerger Posts: 46 Member
    How much lose skin won't really bother you because it's the result of all the hard work you've put in.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Alidecker wrote: »

Jeans are tough for me too, my thighs are the problem area now. Low rise and I don't get along, I always feel like they are falling down :)

Try finding a denim style called 'curve embracer' or similar. They're a mid rise with a more fitted waist.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    I have a long commute on mass transit, so hard seats. I miss my butt padding. :p
    I KNOW EXACTLY your pain!!! soccer season and hard aluminum benches!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    That I'd have to wear mostly dresses and skirts as dress pants don't fit right because I have no hips. I also miss my booty padding. And I'm always cold.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    SuggaD wrote: »
    That I'd have to wear mostly dresses and skirts as dress pants don't fit right because I have no hips. I also miss my booty padding. And I'm always cold.

The smaller my waist gets, the more I have a jean problem bc of my hips and thighs. My thighs are just big so it makes it hard.
  • eweadock
    eweadock Posts: 31 Member
    rongata wrote: »
    People totally treat you different even though you are the same person!

I used to feel bad about this too. But then I also realised that I'm really not the same person after 60lb loss. I'm just as smart and caring as I used to be. But I am more likely to say yes to opportunities, I go out more, I am a lot more forceful in my opinions on what I do socially because I need to fit it into my diet/exercise mindset. I am a lot more determined to complete things than I ever used to be. I also know how hard I've worked to get where I am and the people who know me and treat me differently it's because of that.

The thing that bothers me most is that people seem to respect me more, as if the opinions I had prior to now weren't as valid! Does that mean that if I lose even more weight then the respect will continue to go up?

This is an interesting phenomena. Studies have even been done on hiring practices with regard to obesity. Many people will hire the thinner job candidate rather than the overweight one, given the same qualifications. Some people will hire the thinner candidate even if less qualified than the overweight one.

I suppose that subconsciously, the interviewer may feel that a candidate who can manage his/her weight is smarter or more capable. We all know that is not true. Having lost 65 lbs does not make me smarter, but it does make me transformed: healthier, more self-confident, more energetic.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    eweadock wrote: »
    rongata wrote: »
    People totally treat you different even though you are the same person!

I used to feel bad about this too. But then I also realised that I'm really not the same person after 60lb loss. I'm just as smart and caring as I used to be. But I am more likely to say yes to opportunities, I go out more, I am a lot more forceful in my opinions on what I do socially because I need to fit it into my diet/exercise mindset. I am a lot more determined to complete things than I ever used to be. I also know how hard I've worked to get where I am and the people who know me and treat me differently it's because of that.

The thing that bothers me most is that people seem to respect me more, as if the opinions I had prior to now weren't as valid! Does that mean that if I lose even more weight then the respect will continue to go up?

This is an interesting phenomena. Studies have even been done on hiring practices with regard to obesity. Many people will hire the thinner job candidate rather than the overweight one, given the same qualifications. Some people will hire the thinner candidate even if less qualified than the overweight one.

I suppose that subconsciously, the interviewer may feel that a candidate who can manage his/her weight is smarter or more capable. We all know that is not true. Having lost 65 lbs does not make me smarter, but it does make me transformed: healthier, more self-confident, more energetic.

I would suggest thats the key - health.

As an employer you would want someone reliable, someone who will always turn up and do their shift.

Of course thin people can be ill as well, but a less healthy person is going to represent a greater chance of ill health.

I agree, I suspect its a subconscious thing, but my suspicion is its that angle rather than thinking the thinner person is smarter or something like that.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!