Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Long time lurker here with a carrot suggestion: Some grocery stores sell carrots in 25 pound bags for horses or juicing, and these tend to be larger and less tapered than "premium" carrots, but still very tasty. They keep well, cost less, and provide a bonus workout from store to car to refrigerator.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Long time lurker here with a carrot suggestion: Some grocery stores sell carrots in 25 pound bags for horses or juicing, and these tend to be larger and less tapered than "premium" carrots, but still very tasty. They keep well, cost less, and provide a bonus workout from store to car to refrigerator.

We can get those bags in Oz, but I don't think I could go through the bag before the carrots went off. I like the idea of a carrot bag grocery store workout though ;)

Friday protein overload bento: 3 egg tamagoyaki, 100g chicken breast marinated in soy sauce, veg, rice. Around 580Cals:
    vcdzc002xbpj.jpg
  • sparklyhippos
    sparklyhippos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mangrothian, I noticed that you marinate a lot of things.. What else can you marinate other than eggs and chicken? And is there any other marinade that you use that does not have sodium? (i.e. not soy sauce or fish sauce)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Mangrothian, I noticed that you marinate a lot of things.. What else can you marinate other than eggs and chicken? And is there any other marinade that you use that does not have sodium? (i.e. not soy sauce or fish sauce)

Most marinades will have a decent sodium component to them, as it's a main component of what helps break down the meat structure to make it tender. If it's not salty, then it's going to be sweet or alcoholic, as those are the other two components that help tenderise and flavour the meat; things like mirin (sweet rice wine), sake or white wine could be used, but they're rather bland on their own. There's also red wine and herbs, but you could only use that for stronger flavoured meats. Honey also works as a meat tenderiser, but it usually needs a salty flavour with it to make it palatable.

If you're trying to drop your sodium content, you can drop the amount of soy by half or a quarter, and make it up with mirin/wine if you're so inclined, or a nice vinegar even. You could technically use fruit juice, but I wouldn't guarantee the flavour. Chicken marinated in pineapple juice sounds kinda good though.

You can also remember that when you marinate, hardly any of the marinade itself actually ends up in the food. I checked it once for mfp logging purposes. I weighed the meat and measured the sauce, and when I was done after an hour only about 4ml of the marinade had soaked into the 100g of meat from the 4 tablespoons that was in the bag.

As to what else you can marinade, the sky is the limit; any protein, including tofu can be marinated quite easily, but you need to use stronger flavours with darker meats. Hell, you can even marinate potatoes before you bake them, but I don't know if that would go down well in a bento ;) you see me mostly marinating chicken because it's a cheap lean protein source that I can fit in my Calorie goals. If I was eating more, you'd probably see a wider range of proteins in my lunches.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Monday bento (excuse the colour of the image, it seems my phone had a bit of a brain fart).

Bento: rice, umeboshi, beef bulgogi meatballs, salad and a hidden pot of tonkatsu sauce (390 cals). For snacks, a tub of peaches in grapefruit juice (94 Cals) and a packet of rice crakers (68 Cals)
    mi0ss0j20cb8.jpg
  • lululapagaille
    lululapagaille Posts: 84 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi all ! I've been stalking this thread, I already had a bento and bought a brand new one on Mon bento (I'm in France and it was the last day of the sales !)
    So I made my lunches for tomorrow and Tuesday. Same ones except this one with feta, Tuesday's with humus instead. I've got pasta with EVOO basil and parmesan, blanched zucchini and red pepper, salad, cucumber, vinaigrette, one orange and in the little egg mold I have two dry figs for a snack (560 calories). Quite Mediterannean. Oh and my bunny ;)wm12kwthsu6b.jpg
    Yay for bento !
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bento for Japan's cat day, today! Could eat the kitty, leftover for tomorrow.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    ^_^
    Leftover chicken strips, potato, and green beans. They ended up on his car floor board, however, the BBQ sauce box stayed closed, the rest ended up in the trash :(
    877653d40de408f8490ae5891bfa3655.png
    Cheese, beef, pulled pork quesadilla with salsa ed9df5db22f1222b842eaa1d0c427d3e.png
    Last in the blues, but not least, quick Korean BBQ chicken with rice and broccoli
    913cb3c9e80b403cc1a0f2754781f99d.png
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I forgot to post, but here are 2 bentos from earlier this week:
    qumkjrnhbe93.jpg
    3ij2njpgv37w.jpg
    They're essentially the same thing: leftover carnitas, rice and veggies in one, a double-helping of veggies in the other, and then peaches and kiwi in the small tier.
  • bibliobetty
    bibliobetty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this on my phone so hopefully it works. ... I'm a long time lurker first time poster but I thought I'd share my bentos from this week. I make them 2 at a time so I don't have to make lunch one day and can just relax after dinner
  • bibliobetty
    Options
    pd4n8hgadufi.jpg

Second attempt! It's Thug Kitchen 5 spice fried rice with mushrooms and siracha in the sandwich sized container with a teeny orange, an egg, and snap peas with tsatziki. The snack containers are raspberries and pineapple and olives, pickled onions, half a dill pickle and a babybel in the other. All in all about 700 calories for the whole day.
  • reereetuna28
    reereetuna28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Yay! Bento! I'm a bento-er too; well, occasionally. It's fun and you really do get to "eat with your eyes." :) That and the box automatically helps you restrict the amount of calories. I'm maintaining right now but I still make bento occasionally because it's just pretty to look at. :#

http://flyingbentobox.blogspot.com/2014/07/old-bento-pictures.html?m=1

http://flyingbentobox.blogspot.com/2014/06/yummiest-item-dried-jackfruit.html?m=1

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=798630066876901&id=100001897442950&set=a.606681516071758.1073741831.100001897442950

• Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great Value - Cheese - Cheddar - Extra Sharp, 29 gram 113
    Generic - Oranges, 144 g 68
    Marketside - Tri-colored Cole Slaw Mix, 45 gram 11
    Sushi - Rice, 65 g 75
    Chicken -thighs - Baked Skinless Thighs, 75 gram 89
    Eggs - Hard Boiled - Large, 1 egg 78
    totalizkq0mvd3bbz.jpg
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Back on MFP after a week away. Managed not to put any weight on during the trip which is great :D

Today I have a pickled cucumber and apple salad, a onigiri filled with beef sobero, some extra beef sobero on the top layer with some carrots and two hard boiled eggs. I was going to prep more this weekend but I was ill :(

There is also a Greek yogurt for breakfast.

wjlbipseycgs.jpg
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow my camera is blurry, think the lens needs a wipe!
  • bibliobetty
    Options
    I reeeeallly want this to work from my phone... soo4aa6bwbbo.jpg

Today's bento is a mini 7 layer dip, tortilla chips and fruit skewers for lunch, mini banana muffins and yogurt for a morning snack, and cucumber and tzatiki for the afternoon
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For snacks, a tub of peaches in grapefruit juice (94 Cals) and a packet of rice crakers (68 Cals)
    That container says pears.... you've been leading us on!
    Second attempt! It's Thug Kitchen 5 spice fried rice with mushrooms and siracha in the sandwich sized container with a teeny orange, an egg, and snap peas with tsatziki. The snack containers are raspberries and pineapple and olives, pickled onions, half a dill pickle and a babybel in the other. All in all about 700 calories for the whole day.

Thug Kitchen! I bought my friend that cookbook. If you like sriracha, take a look at Epic Meal Time's Deep Fried Sriracha Balls. I make them without the deep frying, and they can be made tiny. Zippy tasty and freeze well.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    For snacks, a tub of peaches in grapefruit juice (94 Cals) and a packet of rice crakers (68 Cals)

Shhh! They're ninja peaches, in disguise!
  • mangrothian
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

Thug Kitchen! I bought my friend that cookbook. If you like sriracha, take a look at Epic Meal Time's Deep Fried Sriracha Balls. I make them without the deep frying, and they can be made tiny. Zippy tasty and freeze well.

I shall perform a dogeza in front of my pantry in way of apologising to the last container of said pears, imploring them to forgive my wickedness in misnaming their flavourful goodness. Then, I shall do the same to the peaches in my fruit bowl.

On another note, I keep damn bloody forgetting to take pictures of my bento's. Today's was a serving of Skillet Chicken with Orzo and Olives.

ETA: I just looked at Thug Kitchen's website. Insta-subscribed. I'm soooo having brunch tamales this weekend.