Cow milk - is it safe for humans to drink? Why the hype?

Mydailytrack
Mydailytrack Posts: 39 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
People are choosing almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk & what not over our age old cow milk. What's your take on the same?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Lactose intolerance -> alternate milk

Everyone else -> milk

Sources:
    Me, because I say so. Milk is positively delicious (and nutritious!)!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Everyone else -> milk

Sources:

And goes great with Oreos! (Seeing if we can hit the Oreo thread trifecta).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I say it varies by each individual. Read labels and compare almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, etc. There are also combinations of each. I have a half gallon of almond / coconut milk in my fridge right now. I prefer the taste and potassium in soy milk but I drink all of the alternate milks. Personally I'm not a fan of cow's milk.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    I like to drink cow's milk, but the ones from farms that treat their cows humanely. Also, the "Simply Smart" brand is good for having low calories, high protein.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Everyone else -> milk

Sources:

Or vegan. Or some just like the taste of the alternate milks.

But yeah. Personal preference.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    They're all called 'milk' but each tastes entirely different in my opinion. The other options are also nice for those who can't, or choose not to, drink dairy.
  • Carlos_421
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Everyone else -> milk

Sources:

And goes great with Oreos! (Seeing if we can hit the Oreo thread trifecta).

Milk's favorite cookie!! (says so right on the package)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I've had this discussion twice recently in RL

People believe in: ingesting cow hormones = bad for body

I didn't understand the points made TBH

• Carlos_421

Everyone else -> milk

Sources:

you mean...alien life forms???
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Some choose alternatives because of ethical beliefs, some do because they have an issue with something in dairy (like lactose), some do because they like the taste, and some do because they think alternative milks are healthier. Whatever your preference is and floats your boat.

Me, I love a tall glass of cold cows milk at times, especially to wash down peanut butter or to drink with chocolate cake. I also drink it with Oreo's, but I am not a dunker so it isn't essential, but it tastes good with the chocolate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Is it safe for humans to drink? Really? 'Cuz it's been around quite some time...

The only time I've used some alternative was when my youngest was a baby and he had a dairy allergy...he grew out of it and we just use dairy now...which, yes...is perfectly safe for human consumption.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Obviously it is safe for humans to drink. Some people are lactose intolerant, some people are vegans, some people just like the taste of almond/soy/coconut/cashew etc milk better.

The unsweetened versions of those milks save a lot of calories vs. regular milk so that's another factor.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Lactose intolerance is very prevalent in adults worldwide (an average of 65% but up to 90% in East Asian populations, for example) so the plethora of alternatives is definitely nice for that segment of the population.

I'm not lactose intolerant but I do find the idea of drinking milk pretty gross as I view it as something for baby cows, but then again I drink Scotch and eat gummy bears (not to mention dairy products like gelato and goat cheese, which I eat as I'm able to forget where it came from), so I'm not really an authority on what the human body is intended to consume. I just think it tastes bad and the concept grosses me out, so I'm glad I can pick up a container of nut "milk" or whatever to use in recipes that call for it or for my occasional latte craving.

Bottom line is that there a huge push from dairy producers in the 60s-90s that milk was this all-important health food but it's really no better or worse than anything else for adults. Mammals don't need milk past infancy so there's no need to drink it unless you like the taste.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Everyone else -> milk

Sources:

you mean...alien life forms???

Pretty sure they like regular milk.

And cats.

34e17a9ffa64e34a9e15249d159f12932b2ddbe02a38ca83d2bf7d626d2e348f_1.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Whatever you like. I prefer cow milk because it's cheaper than the alternatives.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I have a daughter who is lactose intolerant, so it's almond milk for her because from all the choices of "white liquid not from cows" she prefers it. The rest of us use 2% milk. The poor girl also has severe allergies.
  • Redbeard333
    edited February 2016
    Well, there are always alternatives to cow milk, almond milk, coconut milk...

https://youtu.be/Z6HIoXoCcOs
  • Redbeard333
    Some other alternatives:

https://youtu.be/gemfwRuZRmA
  • I heard somewhere that humans are the only mammals that drink milk after infancy/childhood. Don't know if that's true though
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    I just don't like cow's milk. I never have. Every once in a while I can tolerate a nice full fat premium brand of it, but I just prefer the taste of the nut/soy milks.