Cow milk - is it safe for humans to drink? Why the hype?

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerance.
    I can eat cow cheese and other milk products
  • srujana_kanneganti
    Options
    I think it's also an ethics thing for some people (iex factory farming).

Or a taste thing, or a nutritional needs thing.

I limit my cow milk consumption to hot drinks (almond, etc milks taste weird to me when hot), but drink almond/coconut for cold drinks and plain because it lets me minimize my support for factory farms, it has less calories, and I do like the taste.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that humans are the only mammals that drink milk after infancy/childhood. Don't know if that's true though

We're also the only ones that wear clothes, drive cars, cook our food, and post on the interwebs.

Beat me to it. The argument that "humans are the only mammals who <insert (x) here>" is silly and specious at best. We're the only mammals who do a *lot* of things.

That argument can be flipped in the other direction too - we're the most intelligent mammals, so maybe we're the only ones who've figured out that milk is nutritious and beneficial to consume after infancy/childhood.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Actually, give my cat or my dog a bowl of milk, I'm sure they will slurp it down... just saying!

I like almond milk a lot for cooking oatmeal, so I have some in the fridge right now.. but otherwise, it's 1% cow milk.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and know that we don't need dairy in our diets, but I'll be damned if I give up yogurt, cheese and ice cream. As for milk, I drink it occasionally, but mostly with chocolate chip cookies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Milk increases the depletion of calcium from your bones more than it provides (because our bodies can't absorb it well) as well as increases your chances of fracture risk. Calcium enriched milks like almond, coconut, etc. have enriched calcium that body can't easily absorb either (unless it's calcium citrate). Not to mention if you drink non organic milk those cows are pumped with antibiotics and hormones that are just not healthy for you...that's enough of a reason for me not to drink milk.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Have you had human breast milk as an adult? It's not that delicious with cookies.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    I'd think the fact that billions of people all over the world have drank milk for centuries would be pretty conclusive proof all by itself that it's safe for humans to drink. I mean, we're not exactly talking about n=1 for empirical evidence here.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Other than when their nursing cows don't drink cows milk! Why should I? I'll have what that skinny cow over there's having.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Other than when their nursing cows don't drink cows milk! Why should I? I'll have what that skinny cow over there's having.

I'm not sure I understand waht this post means.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Milk increases the depletion of calcium from your bones more than it provides (because our bodies can't absorb it well) as well as increases your chances of fracture risk. Calcium enriched milks like almond, coconut, etc. have enriched calcium that body can't easily absorb either (unless it's calcium citrate).

May I see a citation on this?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I can eat dairy products in moderation ie cheese in a recipe, a small dish of ice cream occasionally, "nacho cheese" Doritos with minimal discomfort, but drinking straight milk and I'll be up all night in the bathroom.

Funny, my Polish mom (I'm adopted from Korea) thought it was important for growing kids to drink milk. I thought everyone had awful stomach pains/diarrhea/gas on a regular basis. Who knew? It wasn't until I was older and stopped drinking it because I never cared for it that I made the connection.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

He wants grass? (Of some sort.)

He wants to eat what a frozen dessert treat eats?
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm pretty sure he's saying he wants to grow a stomach with four separate compartments and a ruminant's digestive system, walk around on all fours, and graze on grass and feed all day so he can be skinny (?) like a cow.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Not to mention if you drink non organic milk those cows are pumped with antibiotics and hormones that are just not healthy for you...that's enough of a reason for me not to drink milk.

^my take on it as well. Plus it's disgusting to me. But I do love cheese and yogurt made from rbgh free milk.

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Cow milk is poison. Which is why we domesticated cows that make milk for us, and we've drank it for 10,000+ years now.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Milk increases the depletion of calcium from your bones more than it provides (because our bodies can't absorb it well) as well as increases your chances of fracture risk. Calcium enriched milks like almond, coconut, etc. have enriched calcium that body can't easily absorb either (unless it's calcium citrate). Not to mention if you drink non organic milk those cows are pumped with antibiotics and hormones that are just not healthy for you...that's enough of a reason for me not to drink milk.

Source please?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't drink cow's milk because of the lactose, when I drink it I get phlem in my throat and feel congested.
    I love the taste but I don't drink it.
    I prefer soy milk.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I love milk. I drink it with chocolate syrup & put it in my tea. My doctor tried to switch me to almond milk. I did try the cashew milk for a little while. It was ok at first, but the more I drank it, the more I didn't like it. I don't have any problems with milk or dairy, her only objection to it was the # of carbs in it--she's very much into the keto diet (which I do not have any health reasons to follow). I just do what I like & don't tell her what I'm eating anymore.
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I became 20 years old I came to the conclusion that to consume the fatty white substance which is pumped out of a bovine's udder is disgusting & it's not ideal for humans nor animals. These days I use the oat liquid or oat drink (can people please stop referring to these types as independant "milks"..) . The chocolate type tastes very good & the regular one gives me the exact same function which cow's milk would've had in for example cerial.