Cow milk - is it safe for humans to drink? Why the hype?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Milk increases the depletion of calcium from your bones more than it provides (because our bodies can't absorb it well) as well as increases your chances of fracture risk. Calcium enriched milks like almond, coconut, etc. have enriched calcium that body can't easily absorb either (unless it's calcium citrate). Not to mention if you drink non organic milk those cows are pumped with antibiotics and hormones that are just not healthy for you...that's enough of a reason for me not to drink milk.

Your assertion is false.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/41/2/254.short
  • Carlos_421
    tosi1312 wrote: »
    When I became 20 years old I came to the conclusion that to consume the fatty white substance which is pumped out of a bovine's udder is disgusting & it's not ideal for humans nor animals. These days I use the oat liquid or oat drink (can people please stop referring to these types as independant "milks"..) . The chocolate type tastes very good & the regular one gives me the exact same function which cow's milk would've had in for example cerial.

When you became 20 years old you came to a false conclusion based on your feelz.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    When I became 20 years old I came to the conclusion that to consume the fatty white substance which is pumped out of a bovine's udder is disgusting & it's not ideal for humans nor animals. These days I use the oat liquid or oat drink (can people please stop referring to these types as independant "milks"..) . The chocolate type tastes very good & the regular one gives me the exact same function which cow's milk would've had in for example cerial.

Except things like protein and calcium. Both of which are high in milk and basically non-existent in "oat drink".
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    I heard somewhere that humans are the only mammals that drink milk after infancy/childhood. Don't know if that's true though

That's because we're the only mammal that can readily procure it. My cat, rat, and dog will all eagerly slurp milk if given the chance.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    I heard somewhere that humans are the only mammals that drink milk after infancy/childhood. Don't know if that's true though

I suspect my dog may be getting up in the middle of the night and pouring himself a tall glass of milk....but I can't be sure.
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Lower carbs and calories in my almond milk than regular milk.
  • Carlos_421
    coryh00 wrote: »

Also less compatability with Oreos...
  • AnvilHead
    coryh00 wrote: »

Also less protein and less calcium. And less deliciousness too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

I suspect my dog may be getting up in the middle of the night and pouring himself a tall glass of milk....but I can't be sure.
    Your dog would never do that.

He'll drink out of the carton like everyone else.
    9boxerdeerjpg?v=1
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Except things like protein and calcium. Both of which are high in milk and basically non-existent in "oat drink".

I believe calcium is added to most of these milk substitutes, together with vitamin d, etc, which is a good argument for including it in ones diet.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I typically don't care for the aftertaste of cow milk, so if I'm having cereal I'll use almond milk (plus fewer calories!)
    I also can have bathroom troubles if I have any decent amount of milk at once...
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Cows milk is made for baby cows not humans! Not your mom, not your milk
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2016
    Cows milk is made for baby cows not humans! Not your mom, not your milk

But it would have been too weird to milk my mom when I was over 18 years old, so I was forced to improvise.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Cows are kinda big and so if you drink cow's milk you'll get kinda big. And beefy. Beefy is good. But I don't want to get slaughtered either. Almond milk would be fine. If you're nuts. I guess if you're sane and want to get huge and beefy you drink cow's milk. Moo.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    "Safe" like, fewer people have died playing Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic, or "safe" like, you probably won't get cancer if you don't drink 4759754875438 gallons a day for 60 years?

The fact is, people have been drinking it for a long, long time, and, especially since we started pasteurizing it, and people aren't dropping dead right and left or anything, so it's probably a good bed that it's safe.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Of course it's safe.

Some people are lactose intolerant (particularly those whose ancestors aren't Europeans) and some are vegans or simply want something other than milk.

But safe? Yes, it's fully safe. If you like it and it likes you, it's a wonderful source of protein in your diet.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member

I mean, my cat was pretty happy to get milk, all the way up until she dropped dead of old age...come to think of it, my dog was happy to get it, too, when he could fight off the cat.
  • Carlos_421
    "Safe" like, fewer people have died playing Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic, or "safe" like, you probably won't get cancer if you don't drink 4759754875438 gallons a day for 60 years?

The fact is, people have been drinking it for a long, long time, and, especially since we started pasteurizing it, and people aren't dropping dead right and left or anything, so it's probably a good bed that it's safe.

Stealing this
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I've heard people talk about this as well. The general consensus is that children (especially female children) should not be ingesting hormone filled milk because the hormones make them develop, mature, and get bigger chests too quick. LOL.

I suggested that perhaps maybe it wasn't the hormone-ey milk, that it was just an abundance of food in general? But I was poo poo-ed.

hormone milk = big jugs.

Hormones in milk don't affect humans. The first reason and the one that makes it a total deal-breaker is that bovine growth hormone is a large protein. Your stomach will shred it into its component amino acids before absorption, like with basically all proteins, since they are simply too big to pass across the intestinal wall. It's not like phytoestrogens from plants, which are relatively small molecules that actually could be absorbed by the gut - big proteins just don't get from the intestines into the bloodstream barring life-threatening illness or injury. And if it did, there's no evidence that bovine growth hormone has any effect on humans.

If drinking milk could give us growth hormones, that would actually be great for bodybuilders, dieters, and athletes, since (human) growth hormone tends to promote muscle growth and fat loss, and like HGH, it would probably be regulated if it actually affected us.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Other than when their nursing cows don't drink cows milk! Why should I? I'll have what that skinny cow over there's having.

If you're going to follow the cow's example, you better get to grazing. Let us know how that works out for you.
    (Of course, this is the Internet, so if you are a ruminant, no one would know.)