Why Calories In and Calories Out... It really ISN'T that simple.....

Options

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Doctah hymen...still funny.

I'm dying.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget Jared either on his Subway diet.

No matter how it is packaged the results from eating less calories than you burn is weight loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Doctah hymen...still funny.

The name of someone I would not go on a date with. I know it's unfair. Still couldn't do it.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    dgobbett wrote: »
    There are studies where a man ate nothing but hostess snacks and Doritos for 10 weeks while maintaining a calorie deficit and managed to steadily lose weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Sure if he had 1800 calories of healthy nutritious food everyday rather than snack cakes I am sure it would have been better, he may have lost more weight but this does put stock in CICO being fairly simple. I think many try to over complicate it to either A) Sell something or B) Find a reason why their results do not align with their expectation.

Please explain how, specifically, he would have lost more weight eating 1800 calories of something other than snack cakes. If the calories are the same, how would he have lost more weight?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget Jared either on his Subway diet.

No matter how it is packaged the results from eating less calories than you burn is weight loss.

I wanted to be the Jared of McChickens, until all that... other stuff happened. Had to abort the mission.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There are studies where a man ate nothing but hostess snacks and Doritos for 10 weeks while maintaining a calorie deficit and managed to steadily lose weight.

Sure if he had 1800 calories of healthy nutritious food everyday rather than snack cakes I am sure it would have been better, he may have lost more weight but this does put stock in CICO being fairly simple. I think many try to over complicate it to either A) Sell something or B) Find a reason why their results do not align with their expectation.

Please explain how, specifically, he would have lost more weight eating 1800 calories of something other than snack cakes. If the calories are the same, how would he have lost more weight?

He wouldn't
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

If he's eating the same amount of calories how would he have lost more weight?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

What if, because of the more nutritious foods, he feels more energetic and causes the CO end of the equation to be larger? That's the only possibility I can come up with.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Magic, of course.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A side note on “hormonal” imbalances, from someone diagnosed with 2 over the course of my lifetime; CICO still applies. The only thing my hormonal imbalance did to affect weight loss was REDUCE my TDEE below where it SHOULD have been for my age/height/weight/gender, because my body wasn’t working properly – it was burning fewer calories than it should have. Once I got the hormones balanced and my metabolism fixed, I started losing again while maintaining my caloric intake. Again, this is because THE MATH WAS WRONG FOR C/O, not because the calories didn’t matter.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

What if, because of the more nutritious foods, he has more energy and causes the CO end of the equation to be larger? That's the only possibility I can come up with.

I think you're on to something Quik :p

Magic, of course.

I thought so!
  • level3tjg
    level3tjg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Heh, the original poster fled this thread like a sinking ship. hahaha
  • Floridaman789
    Floridaman789 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes your body knows the difference between natural sugar and processed sugar
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mark Hyman... maker of the movie Fed Up (you need to see it if you haven't) addresses the real reason that NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME....

Why I will choose....
    100 calories of almonds vs. a processed 100 calorie granola bar.......
    100 calories of berries vs. 100 calories of sugar added yogurt.......

drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

The more this place changes the more it stays the same
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes. It really is that simple. If I eat more than ~2200 calories per day, I will gain weight. If I eat less than ~ 2200 calories per day I will lose weight.

What those calories come from may affect my mood, energy level, hunger level, etc, but it will not change the math.

Same. (Except that my number is ~3100.)

Also, yay this thread (but it's only Wednesday).

And I hit my protein and fat minimums, don't care much where the other calories land, and manage to reach my micro nutritional targets along the way...(but I don't pretend like a banana is nutritionally superior to a candy bar once my nutritional targets are met).
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options

proof?
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2016
    Options

No. It doesn't.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    CICO is that simple. The only reason I've been able to keep this weight off is because I don't restrict myself from foods like I use to. I love that I can eat pizza, French fries and and drink booze. I splurge probably once a day with something small and the rest of the time I eat what some people would call, "clean," or whatever the buzz word is now.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

How? I'm totally serious, I'd really love to know how your body knows the difference between sugar and sugar.
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2016
    Options

How? I'm totally serious, I'd really love to know how your body knows the difference between sugar and sugar.

I was trying to think of an unprocessed sugar. Because in order to be sugar, you have to process it. Otherwise, you are gnawing on a sugar beet (and I don't think that meets @Floridaman789's 'natural sugar').