Why Calories In and Calories Out... It really ISN'T that simple.....

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    brekober wrote: »

God I could not think of anything more ghastly
    No joke! But it proves that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. Healthy food or not.

Absolutely, you've given me a great idea for a macdonalds diet, chicken nuggets anyone?

Someone beat you to it: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10

Damn it, KFC then!

Done.
    http://www.davejunia.com/2012/08/how-i-lost-7kg-in-a-month-while-eating-kfc/

Getting fat off whole foods?

Every clean bulk diet evah. ;)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Ooooh, I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP.....

As much as I agree that higher quality foods are going to be better for weight loss in the long run, MFP forums are not the place for that kind of thinking. They just don't want see it from that perspective.

Seriously? I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP because it's what works.

And, weirdly enough, it's possible to understand that weight loss is a function of CICO, implement that strategy, and *also* meet one's nutritional needs.

No no no, you are mistaken! It's only possible to eat a diet of Oreos and Big Macs if you're following CICO! The OP of this thread and her defenders have transcended our simplistic ways of thinking and are the only ones who are enlightened about the one true way to lose weight and get healthy. Now, please get out of my way while I take my credit card to Hyman's store!

/s
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It feels like these threads are click bait at this point lol
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options

As much as I agree that higher quality foods are going to be better for weight loss in the long run, MFP forums are not the place for that kind of thinking. They just don't want see it from that perspective.

Seriously? I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP because it's what works.

And, weirdly enough, it's possible to understand that weight loss is a function of CICO, implement that strategy, and *also* meet one's nutritional needs.

No no no, you are mistaken! It's only possible to eat a diet of Oreos and Big Macs if you're following CICO! The OP of this thread and her defenders have transcended our simplistic ways of thinking and are the only ones who are enlightened about the one true way to lose weight and get healthy. Now, please get out of my way while I take my credit card to Hyman's store!

/s

But he doesn't sell detoxes!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Since a "calorie" is the heat produced by burning a dry food sample, specifically 1 calorie raises 1 cubic centimeter of water 1 degree C, I'm going to disregard anyone who advises "eat this not that" because they are selling "this" on the idea that their calories are better than the other guys calories. If the seller of "this" wants to actually persuade me that "this" is more worthy of my purchase than "that", said seller will have to appeal to my desire for nutrition and flavor.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    "But sorry, Mr. Newton; your law of thermodynamics doesn’t apply in living, breathing, digesting systems. When you eat food, the “isolated system” part of the equation goes out the window. The food interacts with your biology, a complex adaptive system that instantly transforms every bite."

From the trashy article.

Really? Those are some big words going up one of the fundamental laws of physics. Outside of quantum mechanics, care to explain were the other energy and mass is going, coming from?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited February 2016
    Options
    marvinq42 wrote: »
    Most people know 250 calories of nuts (or any other wholesome food) is better than 250 calorie donut. But sometimes I want to eat that donut and CICO is a nice tool that allows me to do that while staying within my caloric range.

@marvinq42 If I've already met my macro/micronutrient goals for the day, and I have the calories to spare, what would be the extra benefit of the nuts over the donut?

Your body doesn't give you extra credit.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Dr. Mark Hyman... maker of the movie Fed Up (you need to see it if you haven't) addresses the real reason that NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME....

Why I will choose....
    100 calories of almonds vs. a processed 100 calorie granola bar.......
    100 calories of berries vs. 100 calories of sugar added yogurt.......

drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

Without reading this, I've been saying this for years because your body has hormonal responses to food and there are no studies on this. Anytime I say anything I always get yelled at by the IIFYM crowd here, I hardly ever post anymore... because you know, I know nothing and IIFYM = life. Hopefully there is some decent info here!

Yes, if I believed the earth was flat I'd probably stop posting that in physics and astronomy forums. Especially if they asked me to back that up with evidence, pointed to the overwhelming evidence the earth is NOT flat, and I accused them of assault simply because they disagreed with my opinion.

/s

How did you know what I was eating every day?
  • Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    RivenV wrote: »

You mean they don't want to see it from...reality's perspective? Is that what you're saying there?

I believe this was meant as a joke @RivenV Rather funny one at that. It's like German government didn't acknowledge the result of the world wars from the same perspective as everyone else. We alllll know what's up tho haha
  • kaellyn
    kaellyn Posts: 9 Member
    Options

This was literally my turning point. I've tried every thing on the planet to lose weight - for about a week at a time, until the rules, the hunger, or the rebellion got too much. But this dude a) lost weight on Twinkies and a multivitamin, and b) had better health indicators because the weight came off, not because he was eating antioxidants or superfoods or whatever.

So now, I'm staying under my calories almost all the time. I'm trying to reach my protein and not go crazy with sodium because those two factors contribute to my "feeling good" more than any others. I'm moving more to get more calories. That's it. And, at least for the past five weeks or so, it's been working. It's not complicated, I have nothing to rebel against, and I don't have to become a short-order cook to fix my diet food and everyone else's regular food. I just eat less than I used to of what they're eating.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    kaellyn wrote: »

This was literally my turning point. I've tried every thing on the planet to lose weight - for about a week at a time, until the rules, the hunger, or the rebellion got too much. But this dude a) lost weight on Twinkies and a multivitamin, and b) had better health indicators because the weight came off, not because he was eating antioxidants or superfoods or whatever.

So now, I'm staying under my calories almost all the time. I'm trying to reach my protein and not go crazy with sodium because those two factors contribute to my "feeling good" more than any others. I'm moving more to get more calories. That's it. And, at least for the past five weeks or so, it's been working. It's not complicated, I have nothing to rebel against, and I don't have to become a short-order cook to fix my diet food and everyone else's regular food. I just eat less than I used to of what they're eating.

YAYYYY!! That's awesome!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    So many people out there create a problem so they have something to sell so it can be solved. Pseudoscience isn't science and many of these perps who do this crap should be called out.
    CICO works if implemented. For some that may have health/hormonal issues, it may go slower, but still CICO is needed if any weight loss/gain/maintenance is desired.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Options

God I could not think of anything more ghastly
    No joke! But it proves that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. Healthy food or not.

Absolutely, you've given me a great idea for a macdonalds diet, chicken nuggets anyone?

Someone beat you to it: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10

Damn it, KFC then!

Done.
    http://www.davejunia.com/2012/08/how-i-lost-7kg-in-a-month-while-eating-kfc/

Getting fat off whole foods?

I did that hahaha, can't say it was for an article though! When I was 14 (and a 5ft size 14) I used to glug down green smoothies WITH my balanced meals, eating tonnes of nuts and raisins all the time in the hopes of being as mini as my friends... Back in the day before I knew more than what was a healthy food or not!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    kaellyn wrote: »

It's such an awesome realization isn't it? I can have meatloaf and mashed potatoes with my family, and then a bowl of ice cream later if I want to. I just eat less of that stuff than I would have before and log it all in MFP.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm confused. How does saying that calories are what matter for weight loss mean that one is against eating higher-quality foods (by which I assume you mean more nutrient dense foods). Most of us CICO advocates also say that eating a nutrient-rich diet is important for nutrition and, for most, satiety.

What those who try to argue against CICO fail to realize is that when one says "a calorie is a calorie," that doesn't mean that a food is a food. Obviously there are differences between individual foods and a diet can be more healthful than another diet. So stop with the strawmen, please!

On the other hand, anyone who argues that you can be accurately measuring and actually eating way below your actual TDEE and not lose weight is misunderstanding, and nothing submitted by hucksters like Oz and Hyman and their ilk (who want to convince you it's more complicated than control calories and eat a healthful diet for nutrition purposes) is actually contrary to this idea. So asserting that "calories don't matter" is a lie, one that Hyman knows is a lie, so I'm sorry for those who fall for his fraud.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

He sells detox kits. That should be an immediate red flag that the guy is a quack.

Game
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    A calorie is a unit of energy, like a kilowatt. Calories are for weight loss, types of food are for health and nutrition. Your body cannot tell the difference between the sugar in berries versus the added sugar in yogurt. At all.

Mark Hyman is a regular guest and is always hocking some book on the Oz show. Reason enough to hesitate listening to him. Just because someone has the title Dr. in front of their name does not make them an expert at everything.

Set
    The same Dr Hyman that supported the withdrawn paper on the link between vaccine and autism?
    Discredited.

Match
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It really is as simple as calories in vs calories out.
    How you choose to spend those calories is a personal choice.
    If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.
    If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose.

Calories are calories. Whether or not you want better nutrition is your personal decision.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    "But sorry, Mr. Newton; your law of thermodynamics doesn’t apply in living, breathing, digesting systems. When you eat food, the “isolated system” part of the equation goes out the window. The food interacts with your biology, a complex adaptive system that instantly transforms every bite."

From the trashy article.

Really? Those are some big words going up one of the fundamental laws of physics. Outside of quantum mechanics, care to explain were the other energy and mass is going, coming from?

Wait ... It does actually say this! The author writes:
    Newton’s first law of thermodynamics states that the energy of an isolated system is constant.

Aside from everything else that's wrong with this article - THIS ISN'T NEWTON'S LAW! Newton proposed 3 laws of motion, not laws of thermodynamics. The first law of thermodynamics - conservation of energy - is not attributable to Isaac Newton.

LOL.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options

Please. The majority of people who've had successful weight loss don't disagree on the quality of food for it's nutrient density. Weight loss comes down to CICO regardless of approach. What someone does to fulfill that is a matter of choice. You will NEVER find a weight loss program or diet that doesn't use a form of CICO for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

From the trashy article.

It's not like there are formulations of that law that apply to open systems or anything.
    And CI - CO - delta(bodyenergy) totally doesn't have to be 0 for every given time period, nope. Energy totally can disappear somewhere. Just ask the hymen.