Why Calories In and Calories Out... It really ISN'T that simple.....

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    So, did the OP bail? That's too bad. So much potential to learn how to do things more easily.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    So he's saying what everyone on here knows already, just because you CAN fit foods into your calorie allowance, doesn't mean it's healthy.

He says foods like Broccoli digest slowly and the total calorie intake is less than processed food, which everybody here already knows.

Failing to see where the new information is?
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Ooooh, I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP.....

As much as I agree that higher quality foods are going to be better for weight loss in the long run, MFP forums are not the place for that kind of thinking. They just don't want see it from that perspective.

In my experience, CICO was the best place for me to start. I had a lot of bad habits to break and the thought of completely overhauling my lifestyle all at once was too daunting. A few months of eating the foods I wanted, just less of them, and seeing results gave me the encouragement I needed to then pursue healthier eating and make more healthy choices. CICO was the foundation I needed to get me to a place where I could start slowly overhauling my life.

QFT
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    and everyone just falls into the same old trap...then rehash the same thing over and over and over.

Education is a process of drumming a message over and over.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    If we weren't counting calories, if we were just using our satiety cues as the basis of our diet, things like filling up with fibre filled vegetables and fruits, getting adequate protein and healthy fats, and reducing or even eliminating "junk food" would be MUCH more important. As it is, we have the luxury of knowing how many calories we have consumed, and when to stop eating, regardless of how full we feel or what cravings we are experiencing. Calorie counting makes satiety cues irrelevant.

Separate from this, if you are taking the time to count calories, and especially with the nutrition information we get as part of the process, why anyone wouldn't also try to improve the quality of the food they consume is beyond me.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    brekober wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »

God I could not think of anything more ghastly
    No joke! But it proves that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. Healthy food or not.

Absolutely, you've given me a great idea for a macdonalds diet, chicken nuggets anyone?
  • marvinq42
    marvinq42 Posts: 31 Member
    CICO is simply a tool to help keep your caloric intake where you want it to be. In and of itself, it doesn't tell you how. That part is up to you.

Most people know 250 calories of nuts (or any other wholesome food) is better than 250 calorie donut. But sometimes I want to eat that donut and CICO is a nice tool that allows me to do that while staying within my caloric range.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2016
    Dr. Mark Hyman... maker of the movie Fed Up (you need to see it if you haven't) addresses the real reason that NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME....

Why I will choose....
    100 calories of almonds vs. a processed 100 calorie granola bar.......
    100 calories of berries vs. 100 calories of sugar added yogurt.......

drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

Without reading this, I've been saying this for years because your body has hormonal responses to food and there are no studies on this. Anytime I say anything I always get yelled at by the IIFYM crowd here, I hardly ever post anymore... because you know, I know nothing and IIFYM = life. Hopefully there is some decent info here!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    So he's saying what everyone on here knows already, just because you CAN fit foods into your calorie allowance, doesn't mean it's healthy.

He says foods like Broccoli digest slowly and the total calorie intake is less than processed food, which everybody here already knows.

Failing to see where the new information is?

It's on his shop page with the diet books and detoxes.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

No joke! But it proves that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. Healthy food or not.

Absolutely, you've given me a great idea for a macdonalds diet, chicken nuggets anyone?

Someone beat you to it: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Ice-cream helps me hit my calcium goals, how can it be bad? ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited February 2016
    Dr. Mark Hyman... maker of the movie Fed Up (you need to see it if you haven't) addresses the real reason that NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME....

Why I will choose....

Without reading this, I've been saying this for years because your body has hormonal responses to food and there are no studies on this. Anytime I say anything I always get yelled at by the IIFYM crowd here, I hardly ever post anymore... because you know, I know nothing and IIFYM = life. Hopefully there is some decent info here!

Hormonal responses do NOT overrule the laws of nature.

If I say it often enough it is bound to get through to those people, right?
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member

Someone beat you to it: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10

Damn it, KFC then!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member

Why I will choose....

Without reading this, I've been saying this for years because your body has hormonal responses to food and there are no studies on this. Anytime I say anything I always get gang banged by the IIFYM crowd here, I hardly ever post anymore... because you know, I know nothing and IIFYM = life. Hopefully there is some decent info here!

If I say it often enough it is bound to get through to those people, right?

No because unfortunately people hear/read what they want instead of what is actually being said/typed.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited February 2016

Why I will choose....

So, you're saying that you have knowingly been spreading misinformation which has no basis for belief?

Interesting.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited February 2016

Why I will choose....

Of course there are studies on hormonal response to food.
  • EvgeniZyntx

Damn it, KFC then!

Done.
    http://www.davejunia.com/2012/08/how-i-lost-7kg-in-a-month-while-eating-kfc/
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2016

Why I will choose....

There aren't?

I'm hardly a science nerd but I'm pretty sure I've seen a number shared on these boards.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Damn it, KFC then!

Done.
    http://www.davejunia.com/2012/08/how-i-lost-7kg-in-a-month-while-eating-kfc/

Getting fat off whole foods?
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Dammit, now I want a Twinkie. :'(