Just for fun: normal foods or food combos you can't stand!!

Options
Hi All. My sweet niece knowing I was thinking of reducing my carbs brought me a tuna melt with no cheese. I couldn't even fake my horror. Tuna, cheese, and mayo. I'm shuddering typing this! She then confessed it made her sick to watch me eat my melted vanilla ice cream with crumbled cheese peanut butter crackers. So, it got me thinking. What are some regular foods you can't think about let alone eat? My list: mushrooms, evaporated milk (blech!!) and Chinese dumplings. Why dumplings? When the server brought them to the table when I was younger my mother said "Who would want to eat something that looks like somebody's ear". And that was all she wrote! What are your food idiosyncrasies?!

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Protein boosters of any kind. I can't stand the taste or smell or them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The tuna melt had no cheese or no bread? I don't think it is a tuna melt without cheese... without bread it is just a strange pile.

I don't really like tuna melts.
    I don't care for bacon added to sweet things.
    I don't like marshmallows on my sweet potatoes.
    I don't like clove, pineapple or a sweet glaze on ham.
    I hate ketchup. I gagged as a kid when my mom would make meatloaf with ketchup on top. The thought of ketchup on eggs or rice makes me queasy.
    Cupcakes with 3" of frosting annoy me. I prefer a thin layer of frosting.
    Raisins are gross.
    Hate cucumbers- like dill pickles. Don't contaminate my salad with cucumbers.
    To me cilantro makes food inedible.
    I don't like corn dogs, boiled hot dogs... hot dogs need to be somewhat charred.
    I dislike the texture of tapioca pudding.
    Not a fan of seafood, lobster, clams, snails.
    Salty popcorn is great. Not a fan of sweet popcorn.
    Sweet tea is horrible to me. No lemon or fruit tea.
    I despise artificially fruit flavored things... especially grape or banana.

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I hate melon and kiwi, really annoying as most fruit salad has it in! Oh and cheesecake which obviously is fine I just don't eat it but other people seem to take offence that I don't like it!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Catalina dressing on a salad that has bell peppers in it. I love bell peppers. I love Catalina dressing. Absolutely vile together.

This ridiculous salted caramel crap fad happening. It's the worst thing to happen to desserts since the fake red velvet that's also everywhere. It's so hard to find normal caramel things now and I love caramel. That red velvet mess - I don't get that at all. That's a lot of ground up beetles people are eating (red food coloring :s). Both so disgusting.

Someone brought up cheesecake. ... I love a real one. Whatever this filler graham crust and sour cream topped cake I see so much in the south is.....it's not cheesecake. You can also keep the ridiculous flavors and toppings. Plain luscious thick rich not too sweet cheesecake is decadent.
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes are gross and disgusting. We should take all the tomatoes and put them on another planet.

Beyond that, I don't like anything in the melon family. Honeydew, canteloupe, watermelon...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can't stand most packaged cakes/donuts (Entenmann's, Little Debbie, Hostess, etc.). They all have a similar weird taste that I can only assume is a commonly used preservative.

I also can't stand boiled or steamed brussel sprouts or asparagus, though I love both if roasted or grilled.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I dont like ice cream - it leaves a strange coated feeling in my mouth that I do not enjoy. I hate celery - it has to be cleverly disguised in something else to be palatable. Cilantro - is that not the most disgusting thing on the planet? Tastes like dishsoap to me. BUT.....................If any of these things were coated in chocolate, I would eat them!!!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Meat! I have no ethical reason for not eating meat. I prepare meat for my family. But just the thought of putting any kind of beef, pork or poultry in my mouth makes me want to throw up. I absolutely love seafood and eat it regularly. Can't quite figure that one out. Guess it's just all part of the weirdness that makes me, me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't at all like commercial baked goods...and I personally just don't get why these kinds of things are so tempting to people. Quality baked goods from a local bakery or mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies, sure...but the stuff in the grocery store is just...well, it's not good at all.

Save for my youth, I've never really liked fast food either...in my youth it was all about the toy in the happy meal though and I'd just sort of pick at this thing they called a burger...dad's on the grill were way better. When I was younger I did like bean burritos from Taco Bell...but I grew out of that by about 13. I can tolerate a spicy chicken sandwich and Wendy's on a road trip when I don't really want to stop though.

Instant anything is pretty much non-palatable...I remember my mom making instant mashed potatoes once to save time for a holiday dinner...I was like, "WTF are you doing mom?"

I also don't like egg plant or organ meat.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I don't like chicken and tomatoes together. Or chicken and tomato sauce. No chicken parm for me!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eggs with cheese make me want to vomit, which makes my fast-food breakfast options extremely limited and I can't do omelettes with cheese or anything like that. I'm not sure what it is but it makes me feel a little nauseated even typing this.

I'm not a picky eater AT ALL but that one...shudder.

I also loathe milk with a passion and have since earliest childhood. It's fine in cooking or baking or even in a latte (if it's skim and the mouthfeel isn't too thick) but I cannot drink it straight. I used to sit at the dinner table and sob for like an hour after dinner was finished and my mom wouldn't let me leave until I finished one glass, and today I'd probably do the same thing, lol. (ETA: it's not ideological or anything, I just hate it.)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    OMG my list is huge:
    Fake mashed potatoes
    Almost all condiments except Ranch
    Mushrooms
    Pieces of Tomatoes but, I can tolerate tomato sauce and juice
    Mangoes(OMG these things are absolutely vile)
    Pineapples(The smell is just gross and it is all squishy. Ew)
    Oranges( Stems from working with goo gone as a child and the orange smell was so overwhelming I felt like puking)
    Sweet meat
    Mixing sweet with savory 90% of the time. Caramel or chocolate pretzels are an exception.
    Seafood of any kind
    Fast-food burgers from anywhere but, Five guys or Steak and shake.
    Sweet potatoes
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Sorry I came here. Some of the posts make me sad.

I hate mint stuff.

Bye. Leaving now before depression sets in. Going back to the Oreo thread for happy thoughts.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I love most foods but the few things I'd rather not have are melons of any kind, instant mashed potatoes, and whipped frosting.

And I just want to say that cupcakes with a thin layer of frosting make me so sad. I won't even bother eating it. Give me tons of frosting (again, not whipped) or give me nothing. Oh, and salted caramel with dark chocolate, is. life.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sorry I came here. Some of the posts make me sad.

I hate mint stuff.

Bye. Leaving now before depression sets in. Going back to the Oreo thread for happy thoughts.

You better leave now for hating all the glorious mint things.

I can't do sweet/salty at the same time. Chocolate? Love. Pretzels? Love. Chocolate covered pretzels? No thanks.

Also melons, red delicious apples (I'll eat all the others, but that has no taste), and cooked carrots.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Seafood mixed with pasta, on Tacos or salads. No. No. I prefer all my seafood as stand alone entrées.
    (Etouffee not included)
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Iv never really thought a whole lot about it.... but now I realize I have some really weird food issues haha.

- cilantro on anything... tastes like poison to me.

- Wild meat, has a weird after taste... it's almost like it can taste the death..... I'm odd I know.

- Soft apples like macintosh.... i like crisp super crunchy apples like pink lady.

- brie cheese.... it's like it has this essence of cat pee.

- Butter on the inside of a non grilled sandwich. Yuck.
    - i used to love figs until I was told they pretty much have a decayed bee inside them?

- I can't drink or use milk in my cereal that is even 3 or 4 days away from its expiry date... it tastes off to me. Cooking with it seems to be fine.

- cooked fish other than tuna salad. And tuna salad must be cold. Pretty sure I'd throw up if I attempted to eat a tuna melt.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    - Butter on the inside of a non grilled sandwich. Yuck.

I don't think I've ever known anyone to put butter on the inside of a sandwich, grilled or otherwise. Just put butter on like other do mayo or mustard? That doesn't sound good to me either.