Dumb advice people have given you...

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Most of our stores have the beer and wine on the perimeter.

Shop the perimeter! :smile:

Agreed!

But to go back to the original advice: "shop the perimeter" is a great rule of thumb (with judgment applied) in the typical US supermarket, because the perimeter is where fresh food that requires refrigeration is usually kept, whereas (except for frozen foods), the middle is where shelf-stable food, often processed, is kept. Supermarkets elsewhere don't necessarily use the same layout. In one of the suburban French supermarkets where I used to shop, the fresh foods tended to be in the middle. In some of the Parisian and Oxfordian markets where I shopped, the store was so small that it seemed like everything was the perimeter!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Most of our stores have the beer and wine on the perimeter.

Shop the perimeter! :smile:

Agreed!

But to go back to the original advice: "shop the perimeter" is a great rule of thumb (with judgment applied) in the typical US supermarket, because the perimeter is where fresh food that requires refrigeration is usually kept, whereas (except for frozen foods), the middle is where shelf-stable food, often processed, is kept. Supermarkets elsewhere don't necessarily use the same layout. In one of the suburban French supermarkets where I used to shop, the fresh foods tended to be in the middle. In some of the Parisian and Oxfordian markets where I shopped, the store was so small that it seemed like everything was the perimeter!

Excellent point.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    "Life is too short, you shouldn't waste it counting calories."
    I don't know about you guys, but shame-eating a pizza doesn't really feel like living.

I used to be that person! Now I'm just like.. wow I was stupid. I'm so much happier now that I count and have actually lost weight.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2016
    "Life is too short, you shouldn't waste it counting calories."
    I don't know about you guys, but shame-eating a pizza doesn't really feel like living.

I give into that one from time to time,even though I know better. It's probably why my weight yo-yos 10 pounds constantly... :|
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    "You don't really have to be fat. You could wear Spanx and train your fat to compact itself."

I win :|

I wish that was the winner but, another person was advised to smoke while pregnant to negate most of the weight gain and to have a smaller baby making it easier to birth. That is by far the most horrible advice for a million reasons.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    ^That's true. I forgot about that one. Wow! Just... wow!
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    "You don't have to eat less. You just have to eat clean."
    "Just don't eat anything that has its own television commercial."
    Same person.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    "You don't really have to be fat. You could wear Spanx and train your fat to compact itself."

I win :|

I wish that was the winner but, another person was advised to smoke while pregnant to negate most of the weight gain and to have a smaller baby making it easier to birth. That is by far the most horrible advice for a million reasons.

Lol...yeah...that was pretty bad advice and I had enough brain cells not to take it. What's funny is the same person who told me to smoke gave me VERY similar advice to the spanx poster after birth. Apparently I just needed to waist train and my fat would magically disappear. Yeah. You can't pick your family, folks!! Lol.
  • "don't eat bananas because they make you gain abdominal fat"... what. The physical therapist at my grandmother's senior center said this and I am so angry! Bananas also help with gout, she should be telling people TO eat bananas and other fruits, not stay away from them.
  • Mondoweft
    Mondoweft Posts: 49 Member
    That if I lost weight I would stop grinding my teeth (and the only way to do this is to eat an all green diet). I found treating my anxiety a more effective option.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    Just cut down on the cakes and desserts, this was from a gp! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few months later.......

Needless to say I don't see that gp anymore

I should also point out I wasn't eating dessert ever and cake only on special occasions at the time.

Mine told me I must eat too much fried food. No, he never asked what I was eating. He just knew that fatties eat a lot of fried food.

He's technically still my gp, but I haven't actually seen him in ages. The walk-in doc and the APRN at that practice are great, so I stay.

• lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    My favourite: "Apple's are full of sugar, why are you eating that if you're 'dieting'?"

Does is count as cardio if I viciously beat you round the head with it?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Another piece of crappy advice "Avoid fat - but low fat products".

Nope - They tried that for a couple of decades in the UK and people still got fatter. Now the advice is "Fat's not so bad, but for heavens sake cut on back sugar" - I'll give it 10 years and there will be a new food group or type to demonize.

The UK study was replicated by the Food and Brand lab and reported by Cornell University. They found that people consuming foods labelled "low fat" ended up miscalculating portion sizes and eating up to 50% more, leading to weight gain, not loss.

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/discoveries/low–fat-foods-can-make-you-fatter
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    "You can have that - it's 'all natural!'"

So is hemlock but I'm not going to drink it.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    "Don't lift weights. You'll end up huge like Madonna." Huge like Madonna... :|
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    atkins-cartoon.jpeg

I've heard this one, in various forms, a few times.

"Now that you've lost 40lbs, have your insulin resistance under control, improved your arthritis and autoimmune issues, and feel better, isn't it time you ate normal again?"

Are you kidding me?

My other favourites are:

Eat 5-7 servings of whole grains per day.

Calories are the only thing that matters because the type of foods you eat do not affect weight loss.

Fat will make you fat.

You need to eat carbs for energy.

Trans fats should replace saturated fats.

Saturated fats are bad for you.

But what about fibre?

Skipping meals will slow your metabolism.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

You need to eat every 2-3 hours.

Avoid foods high in cholesterol.

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    My mother told me with my first pregnancy "stop exercising! You're depriving the baby of oxygen! ". Wish I knew better at the time, put on 57 lbs :/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    lauracups wrote: »
    My mother told me with my first pregnancy "stop exercising! You're depriving the baby of oxygen! ". Wish I knew better at the time, put on 57 lbs :/

I was told that one too.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Don't do any weights at all. Cardio is the way to go if you want to lose weight. That was from my husband. Smh!