March 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2016
    Evidently 20 miles was too high of a goal for Feb. Actually I ended up with a tweaked back. I had to modify Bootcamp and slather the icy hot while snowboarding. However the repetition of running just pulled on my back/left hip and I couldn't do it.
    My goal again will be 20 miles and I'm hoping to crush it!
    Back/hip is feeling better.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    At the risk of being flagged for spam (which happened the last time I shared a link to a great deal), Amazon is selling the Kindle version of 40 DAYS: Life, Love, Loss and A Historic Run Around One of the World's Largest Lakes by Steve Cannon for just 99¢! It's a story of his 40 day, 1037 mile run around Lake Michigan. I have NOT read this, but it gets 5 out of 5 stars with 40 reviews. This is not a running book as much as it is a book about the human spirit.

http://www.amazon.com/40-DAYS-Historic-Around-Largest-ebook/dp/B0192UOWFC
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited February 2016
    Setting a 75 mile goal for March. Then asking the physical therapist on Wednesday if he's okay with that. If not, I'll revise. But he needs to be ok with it cuz I need to ruuuuun! I've got a HM in mid May and I'm getting antsy about being able to train for it!

02/20 Snowman Stampede 10 mile race-cancelled due to injury
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids - "Memaw's Mini Posse" is our team name!
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half

exercise.png
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm a newbie starting the Couch to 5K program, and I also walk. I'm going to aim for 50 miles in March (between walking and running!)

exercise.png
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited February 2016
    Shooting for a (for me) high number: 60 miles. 4 miles x 3 days a week + 6 miles x 1 day a week. Will walk half and run half.
  • shilshilshil
    shilshilshil Posts: 25 Member
    Hi, I'm new (to running, and this thread)! I lurked some on last month's thread, and am liking the idea of a monthly goal!

I got in 25 miles in February, despite a 10-day trip to Hawaii in which I ran exactly zero times, which I'm feeling pretty good about. Also feeling good about recently upping my planned runs to 4x/week, instead of 3x (which too often resulted in 2x).

I'm going to aim for 40 miles in March.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Ok - Im game ... I'll throw my hat in here... My goal for the month is 100 miles.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    At the risk of being flagged for spam (which happened the last time I shared a link to a great deal), Amazon is selling the Kindle version of 40 DAYS: Life, Love, Loss and A Historic Run Around One of the World's Largest Lakes by Steve Cannon for just 99¢! It's a story of his 40 day, 1037 mile run around Lake Michigan. I have NOT read this, but it gets 5 out of 5 stars with 40 reviews. This is not a running book as much as it is a book about the human spirit.

http://www.amazon.com/40-DAYS-Historic-Around-Largest-ebook/dp/B0192UOWFC

We're all pals here. Looks like a good read!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I suspect there are bots of some sort scanning the threads for links to commercial sites that flag posts as spam just to notify the mods, who can then scrub if needed. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine anyone interested in this thread who would find issue with links to books about running.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    I think the only time spam gets back to mods and admins is when it gets a bunch of flags.
  • lboyce59
    lboyce59 Posts: 2 Member
    I have been running for the last few months to get in shape. I'll start March with a goal of 50 miles. I've been running on a treadmill since I live in MN. But with the weather starting to turn, I can run outside more.
    I have a 7K coming up on March 12. (My 1st one).
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Going to try for 70 miles again in March.
  • LeighMartin08
    LeighMartin08 Posts: 7 Member
    In for 75 - ramping up for the Ragnar West Virginia trail relay in August!
  • chatpati
    chatpati Posts: 66 Member
    Would love to start running again! I am in!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    lboyce59 wrote: »
    I have been running for the last few months to get in shape. I'll start March with a goal of 50 miles. I've been running on a treadmill since I live in MN. But with the weather starting to turn, I can run outside more.
    I have a 7K coming up on March 12. (My 1st one).

Welcome! It's great to see another Minnesotan here, but I get the connection between being in MN and a treadmill ;) Then again, I'm one of the crazy ones who actually enjoys winter and am a bit sad to see it go already.

Good *luck* on your upcoming race! I almost signed up for that one myself.

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Unless I post a 51 mile run tonight, I'm gonna be a wee bit short of Feb. I'm going to try and regain my initiative. I'll shoot for 70 as my March goal. (I had 64 in January..I know it's doable...if it get out there and "do" it.)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    elpearce92 wrote: »
    Hiya, I'm an inexperienced runner but I enjoy do running on the treadmill. I'm trying to loose 10lbs before I go on holiday in May and I think a challenge would be good to keep me motivated!

Could someone with a bit more experience than me recommend a realistic running goal for March?

Define "inexperienced"...does that mean you get the occasional wild hair and say "I should probably use this thing since I paid for it"...i.e. once or twice a month? Is it an everyday thing for 10 minutes? 15? 30?

Without some idea of where your running is at now, it's hard to give you a starting goal. In general, though, many suggest a good guideline is to not increase your weekly run by more than 10% over the prior week. If you're starting from a complete non-runner, I'd suggest you consider the Couch 2 5K (often abbreviated C25K) as a guide. It's how I (and many others) began running. There's a pretty large group on here for those doing that program if you search the Community area for it.
  • sehipkins
    sehipkins Posts: 2 Member
    50 Miles this month!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    I'm in for 65 miles this month :)
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    My goal is 60 miles in March. I'm fairly new to distance running, but have a half marathon coming up (thanks peer pressure)! Time to get serious! My plan is to run 3 miles 3 times a week and at least one longer run (6+ miles) weekly.

Upcoming races:
    3/12/16 Shamrock Shuffle 5k
    4/23/16 Jiggle Butt Run 5k
    5/1/16 Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon

exercise.png