WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Vicki ~ Happy Birthday!

Heather ~ You have the sweetest smile and you look great in that dress.

Janet ~ Hope you got your friend straightened out.... >:) There are so many folks here who have major problems and we all love you for the kind words you dispense.

Joyce ~ Hang in there! I have an angry DH also and he doesn't realize that his anger hurts no one but himself and me (who has to listen to it). We are so blessed and he really has nothing to be angry about. But, your DH's circumstances are so different. Too bad he won't get an anti-depressant to help. It also seem that maybe his diet is adding to a lot of his problems. JMO

Off to Wally World!

Carol

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Heather, you look great! The only thing we have in common is that I am wearing ankle boots like that! Next step is to get your waistline!
    Still feeling blue, but trying to fake it as someone wisely suggested -- used up some energy on the elliptical last night -- today at work I slightly de-cluttered my cubicle.
    That was outrageous about the voting mixup--I really hope that this election can be fair and tamper-proof. I can hardly watch the news anymore.
    DH started PT for the arthritis and I think the meds are finally helping a bit. I might not have lost my walking partner after all.
    Trying really hard to not go on FB that much as it seems something always upsets me. Has anyone else had success toning down that habit?
    Allie, you go girl! You will be my role model today!

Betty

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! My co-op friends and I went to a meeting this morning to present our gallery to the chamber of commerce, hoping to drum up some funding. I did not think it went well, but the other three did, so hopefully I'm wrong. The city manager seemed to focus on how we needed to have art classes for children, and that is not in our plans. It's a gallery, not an art school, so he didn't get that. Besides, I have had clay events for kids and nobody wants to pay enough to make it worthwhile. I lost money on everything I've done for kids. We, it will be interesting to see what they say.

We went to the coffee shop on the corner next to my studio afterward to talk about it, but I had a coughing fit and had to leave. Apparently the crud is not quite finished with me yet.

My studio buddy is here working in the studio this morning. He's such a joy to have around, and he's paid me his rent without fail for four months now. Big plus! So today I want to get in there and do some cleaning and organizing, and glaze a few things. We ran a bisque kiln yesterday, so as soon as that comes out I want to have some glazed pieces ready to go in. No kid duties till 3:00, no drafting to do, and hubby isn't coming for lunch, so I should have some time to get to work uninterrupted.

Joyce, I sympathize with your holes-in-the-wall problem. When my exhusband and I sold our first house we had to patch EVERY wall and door due to fist holes and bullet holes.

Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    well out of the shower and dressed for work, and having a cup of peppermint tea, go in to work at 1... so will take the boys for a walk in a bit..
    Tom bought an Everlast bluetooth tracker , and doesnt like it, so will try and put it on Craigslist,as they only give you 2 weeks to return it..
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Just sneezing/coughing by blowing-runny-nose.gif
  • lcolpo
    lcolpo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello - New to this board. Back on MFP after 1 year. My word(s) for March. Just do it! Sounds cliché, I know, but I can't seem to get myself motivated to do anything! Joined back at the Gym last week. Haven't gone. Got a couple of fitness apps. Haven't used them. Food? Don't get me started. I lost 50 pounds with MFP 5 years ago, so here's hoping I can get back on the wagon and lose that 50 again!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Got to get motivated to get on the treadmill ... UGH!!!!!
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Got to get motivated to get on the treadmill ... UGH!!!!!

I had the same problem this morning.. that little voice kept nagging me.. finally after 2 hours I got off my butt and did it, got sweaty and afterwards, that little voice shut up and another said, " Great job!" and I feel much better! Day 2 is done!
    Get on that treadmill, even for just 10 minutes. You will feel so accomplished!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rori: I'm sure the recipe would work with ground turkey but you may decide to tweak seasonings a bit to suit your preferences. Lately we've been adding green onion and a little sweet red or yellow pepper to the rice. Years ago DH had a Reiki treatment from a "practitioner." It was extremely painful and he never went back. I just googled it and found a youtube demonstration about how to use it on yourself. It was nothing like the experience DH had, and was, in fact, quite soothing. :flowerforyou:

DJ: You're right that we will miss DS & DDIL. The Army moves people around, and that is part of the deal. This posting will be good for them but I fear we'll only see them once or twice a year. :sad:

JuliafromOttawa, Robin & Wendy: Welcome!

Michele: Last summer we found Weight Watchers chocolate fudge bars that are 100 calories per serving, and yesterday DH brought home WW Mint Ice cream bars that are 60 calories each. They're mint ice cream coated with dark chocolate about half way down. I've gone to heaven. These are so yummy and I can really have just one. I have real trouble with portion control where Ben & Jerry's is concerned. :embarassed:

Joyce: I admire you. You are courageous, strong, and have good sense. That is an amazing set of assets. :heart:

Heather: I love the photo! Is the dress a knit? It reminds me of dresses I had in the late 60's and early 70's. Good times. You look young, pretty and happy. :smiley:

Donna in WV: Good luck with your foot. :flowerforyou:

Cheri in OH: I love the message, "You're always with yourself so you might as well enjoy the company." :smiley:

Pip: A good PT is a blessing and can't be appreciated too much. I would want to wait for her, too. You are very self aware and savvy about how exercise affects you. :star:

Barbie: I love this message: "Gratitude turns what we have into enough." :heart:

Gloria: Sorry about the sneezing and coughing. Rest. I like SleepyTime tea at a time like that. :flowerforyou:

I have yoga in an hour and an appointment with the orthopedist this afternoon. I wonder whether he'll release me for yoga today. :devil: I want to ask him whether I'm on the right medicine to build bone density, whether daily pills are better than weekly, and whether there are side effects from long term use.

I told all of you that I took Nexium and its generic equivalent for years and was struggling with some memory problems. Then I saw on the news that it is connected with the development of Alzhiemers. Now that I'm off of it I feel better and more clearheaded. I am not in the camp that says no medicine other than herbal, but I am less trusting than I used to be, especially in considering a long-term medication.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Vicki,NE, happy-birthday-you-smiley-emoticon.gif I hope it’s a very special day.

Julia, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in. Congrats on your loss. You are off to a great start!!

Janetr, good for you on starting your grateful list. When I was working I was up first each morning and spent time reflecting and thanking the lord for all my blessings. I have to say I miss that time but I do still find time each day to give thanks.

micheleNC, I hope you have a safe trip home. A few years back my DH was not real good at stopping often on a road trip. Now, luckily he will stop as often as I want and sometimes more. I need out of the car and moving around every hour or so and typically take advantage to get a bathroom break. I drink constantly weather at home or on the road.

Mary, I can’t imagine you having time in a day to walk 22,872 steps because you are too busy lifting weights and swinging kettle bells. No one will call you a slacker.

Joyce, thanks (I think?) for the info on inserting a Foley catheter. I know it must get depressing to be around someone so negative all the time. I can’t get over someone that doesn’t want to try to find solutions to health problems but I guess a lot of people are like that. Thank goodness he does go to karaoke every week.

KJ, I hope you get to work in that nap. sleeping-smiley-face.gif

Heather, you look M A R V E L O U S!!! Thanks for sharing the pic. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Robin, welcome. This is a great group for support and information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. Come often and chat when you like.

Tammy, welcome to you also. You have had a great start to the year. Please don’t get discouraged because you don’t keep losing at that pace. Good luck with your challenge.

Wendy, welcome. You can do this. I’m one of the world’s laziest people and I was on diabetes meds when I started this journey. I’m now off of those meds and a few others and doing some exercise most days. I still have weight to lose but am no longer in the obese category. Take it one step at a time and don’t give up.

Donna, glad the shot seems to have helped your foot. Ewwww just the thought of that makes me want to cry. Maybe rather than just walking you could walk less and do more upper body exercise (even while you walk). Doing different things with your arms helps burn calories and could reduce the steps you take until your foot gets better. I hope it heals quickly.

Cheri, I’m glad you are sleeping better, regardless of what your Fitbit says. counting-sheep.gif

CarolGA, that’s weird about you trying to vote twice. (JK) You aren’t missing any kind of ID are you? I wonder what happened? Probably human error somewhere along the way.

Allie, I’m so happy to hear that you are taking our advice on your trips!!!! That will be great if your dad can get the airline tickets. You go girl!!! ((((Hugs)))) You must have needed that rest, so glad you got to sleep that long.

Pip, I’m glad you made it home safely. That does sound like a dangerous combination you were riding in. You just never cease to amaze me!!!

Barbie, I love your Gratitude quote.

Betty, since I spend so much time trying to keep up with this group I find that I spend less and less time on FB. Once I got over the initial shock I really don’t miss it that much. I have changed lots of my notifications so I’m not constantly reminded every time someone posts something.

Sylvia, I hope your meeting went better than you think. I’m glad you are getting some uninterrupted work time at the studio today. Is your buddy interested in the co-op or will he stay with using your studio? It sounds like he doesn’t really spend that much time there.
    m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Just call me “Push-Up Janet”. This morning I was doing some in the kitchen and DH said I was going to push that counter right through the wall. He is so funny sometimes. Mary, thank you for getting me going on this addition to my workouts. Just doing 10 at a time makes it easy to do 100 a day. Now maybe I need to add something else to this? Well I don’t want to overdo. Lol Seriously, you ladies are so inspirational and I’m often in awe of what you do. Thank you all for sharing your lives with us. I’ve been making some ham and bean soup this morning and have a dentist appointment this afternoon so better get moving.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies! I had to spend almost 2 hours this morning training a naughty puppy how to be nice. I noticed that I have been letting him get away with nipping at me. I need to make sure that I take the time to make him sit and be patient when he does that. You certainly don't want him to be nipping at me or anybody else when he is 100 pounds. We have puppy training class tonight so he should be all prepped and ready to go.

Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 95/100/105, 5X5X 110
    Sumo squat-5X5X 110
    0HP-1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 45
    DL-1X5X 135

Today was a deload day. I am also back to split routines. I will also be doing my 10,000 kettle bell swing challenge later today.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon and Happy Hump Day -

I hope everyone is doing well.

I saw another Suzy in this group and thought it was a bit unusual to find two of us that spell our name the same. I'm not sure why, but often I am asked if Suzy is my "real" name or my nick name, but it is my real name.

Today is day 7 of my Paleo challenge, so far so good. I really haven't had any really bad cravings, although some people got on the elevator at work yesterday with several boxes of Girl Scout cookies and I did have Tagalongs on my mind all afternoon.

Also, been doing good on March's goals and I like the steady decrease in the scale.

Be well,
    Suzy
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    was bad and had 3 single servings of trail mix~ well there goes my calories for the day.. thank goodness I exercised anyway lol
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Back from mammo and just checking in here before I start my weight resistance program. Eye doctor called and said there had be no progression in the macular degeneration in the last six months. Thank the Lord. I have to go back in six months to check it again.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    Vicki NE- Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day celebrating!

Sylvia- I hope your cough goes away soon. It sounds like your studio keeps you very busy. It is nice that your buddy is there and is a very good tenant.

Heather- you look amazing in your dress! I couldn't really see your ear rings very well. Love your boots though!

DJ- I do sit around a little bit more than I would like because of the weather. I have to be a little bit more like Barbie and go out no matter what it is like outside. I do have the correct clothes to wear. Awesome job on your push-ups! If you want to add something without increasing the number of sets instead of doing 10 sets of 10 do 10 sets of 12 for this week. Then work yourself up to 15 for next week. Another thing you can do is vary your hand placement on the counter. And do the different types of push-ups, military, where your hands are shoulderwidth apart and your Elbows go back toward your side instead of flaring out, Diamond push-ups, where you have your hands close together and make a diamond with your thumbs and pointer finger, wide push-ups where your hands are further than shoulder width apart. You can Google videos on push up variations. Each one will work a little bit different muscle groups. Let me know how you do! And you should be proud of yourself!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your lovely comments about my new dress. Yes, Katla, it's a heavy weight knitted cotton jersey. I don't usually spend that amount of money on clothes, but I think I will get the wear out of it as it's super comfortable. My navy leggings were waiting for me when I got home. ;) I wore the very 60s style earrings to match. :D

My friend had to wait on a freezing open platform in the wind for an hour, so the kind guard put them into First Class when the new train came. So I got to ride in First Class with her! :bigsmile: Our meal was great and in the most wonderful ancient building with a pillared portico. I had crab with celeriac and pear, followed by mussels with leeks. Yum! I bought my friend a glass of fizzy wine as a birthday treat for her and the restaurant gave us hers for free! :drinker: She had spiced cauliflower and yoghurt puree and plaice.

I'm having sea bass for dinner, so a very fishy day. Luckily "Jeg elsker fisk" :laugh:

Joyce - thinking of you. You need a break of some sort. Some time off. <3

DJ - As we came out of the restaurant into a beautiful park with a river running by we took a moment to be very, very grateful.

Great going on the exercising everyone! Strong women stay young, you know. :laugh: That is literally true. In a recent study, women in their 50s who could achieve moderate physical tasks had a much longer life span. :D

Love Heather UK

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Allison - If I were in your shoes, I'd tell my sister in law that I already had plans and politely decline her request. But that's just me... family relationships can be such delicate waters to negotiate! A guy saw me getting ready to ride off in a parking lot one time and asked if my husband let me ride a motorcycle. I just smiled and said, "I don't know, I didn't ask him."

Mary - Glad your Shep is doing better! We always have canned pumpkin on hand for doggy digestive disasters! A lot of times the pumpkin will turn minor upsets around, but if it doesn't, you definitely don't want to let it go for too long without seeing a vet.

Heather - Great outfit!

I did so-so in February on my (nearly non-existent) goals, but I did make a plan and that was a big relief. And we got that ____ storage unit emptied out, woo hoo! So this month I'll try to get a little more ambitious:

1. Use the Bowflex and NordicTrack at least twice a week.
    2. Get back in the habit of meal planning so we don't resort to fast food.
    3. Call the doctor about that antidepressant, and go see her if I have to.

-Yvonne in TX
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Heather- Just beautiful darling. Love the look and you in it :)

<3 To all you ladies and welcome to our new members. Join in and tell us about your day.

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Silverstar65 – I felt better after getting on it, too. Need to do some exercise daily; miss getting in the pool; but, we won’t open it up until late April. By then, the weather should be warm enough to keep it fairly warm. I walk in it for up to 2 hours a day. So I get the resistance, too. Might go out and do some hula hooping; but, I’m rusty at doing that, too.

Katla – It’s hard to only see your children 2 or 3 times a year like we do our DYS and DDnL#2. I guess if they have a baby; I’ll have to set up a Skype account; don’t think I can do Face Chat since I don’t have a FB account anymore; and, they want too much personal information for me to give to strangers. So I have ‘kissed off’ on that one.

Haven’t seen the WW ice cream bars – I normally get the Klondike 100 calories bars. I like mint ice cream so I should like the WW ice cream bars. I got some of the brownies (which I like) and carrot cake (don’t like the icing – too sweet). But so small, for only 90 calories.

Carol – I would check to find out what, if anything, has possibly been charged to any accounts you might have – even if it means buying the Equifax program (and later cancelling it). One of the 3 main ones; Equifax (the only one I am familiar with) will give you a free report if you tell them you've been denied credit or if you think your identity has been compromised. I know there are sites you can get your score for ‘free’; but, I would hesitate doing that. Another thing you could do is put a ‘password’ on each of your credit card and/or banking accounts. My BF’s grandson (a lot of trouble, but, she raised him from childhood) took his great-aunts' debit cards and took $200 out of their accounts. He pawned BF’s computer (which has our income taxes on it). She got it back the day she told me about it. I don’t think he could have gotten much, if anything, off it as BF ‘says’ she had changed the password on it before he pawned it. Such a sorry, lazy, addict and he thinks that everybody is against him and they owe him everything. I told her that ‘if’ she ever expected him to stop, she needed to stop ‘enabling’ him. She is always bailing him out of trouble. I would have reported him; but, she says then he would have broken his probation. Well … that’s the idea; if he knows you are going to keep it secret, he will continue stealing.

When I go to MD I am going to ask him about taking the Nexium (or other drugs in that category) and Alzheimer's. I've gotten a little forgetful lately. It's bad when you make a trip to the kitchen and forget why; remember it when you walk back to the den, go back to the kitchen and still can't remember why. I can be typing along and can't think of the word I want to use so eave 5 blanks and then further down I can usually remember it so I go back and type it in.

Hi to all who are 'newbies'. Suzy, talking about someone having the same name as you on this site; I'm LENORA; but, here is a Leonora here; but, she hasn't been posting that I can see. That's about as close as they get to spelling LENORA correctly.

Lenora