Just eat the damn ice cream!

Options
So, in my well-intentioned efforts to create a tasty dessert that aligns with my health and fitness goals, I found a recipe for this frozen banana peanut butter concoction that is pretty damn good. Essentially it's a half a cup of blended banana, a tablespoon of half and half, and a tablespoon of peanut butter per serve. Yumminess!

However, it's pretty calorie dense as you can imagine.

Much to my amusement, a cursory review of the nutritional info of my concoction versus Haargen Daz's vanilla ice cream (my fave) show that the difference between the two is negligible. Ha!

I console myself that the added potassium in my banana thingy is a good thing since I'm a runner and try to watch my electrolyte balances. But..... Other than that.... JUST EAT THE DAMN ICE CREAM!! Haha.

I'll post the nutritional comparisons so you can all laugh along with me.

Anyone else tried to get nutritionally creative with somewhat less than exciting outcomes?

Replies

• Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What you have illustrated is the point that so many of us try to make every time someone comes in here thrilled that they have discovered this brand new thing called NICE Cream and OMG it is just like ice cream only HEALTHY!!!!

Then we point out how it is likely as many, if not more calories than a serving of regular ice cream, and that the sugars in the fruit are no different than the sugars in the ice cream, and then everyone accuses us of being mean and unsupportive.

So I for one am THRILLED to see someone come to the conclusion all on their own. Kudos to you OP!!!!

PS - the Edy's slow churned are about half the calories of the Haagen Daaz, and Talenti Gelato is amazing, if a bit pricey...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yay! More ice cream!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I love Talenti... Caribbean Coconut- I just..... I cant. I die. <3
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why i always come onto the "nice cream" threads and post this information. I believe some people (especially newbies to the ideas of calories, macros, etc.) have this pre-conceived idea that certain foods are "healthy!".

In all actuality some (if not most) of these recipes are JUST as calorically dense, if not MORE. Don't get me started on all the recipes i see that are literally thousands of calories worth of dates, cashews, and agave syrup. LOL Or the bottled juice smoothies people love to drink.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What you have illustrated is the point that so many of us try to make every time someone comes in here thrilled that they have discovered this brand new thing called NICE Cream and OMG it is just like ice cream only HEALTHY!!!!

Then we point out how it is likely as many, if not more calories than a serving of regular ice cream, and that the sugars in the fruit are no different than the sugars in the ice cream, and then everyone accuses us of being mean and unsupportive.

So I for one am THRILLED to see someone come to the conclusion all on their own. Kudos to you OP!!!!

PS - the Edy's slow churned are about half the calories of the Haagen Daaz, and Talenti Gelato is amazing, if a bit pricey...

Yes

But now I damn well want ice cream so thanks for that
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Have you tried any of the new pints?

• MommyMeggo
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

New pints? I shall Google.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Have you tried it with Magic Shell? It tastes exactly like a Mounds candy bar.
  • MommyMeggo
    edited March 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

Ok...that was a BAD idea. LMAO. I had NO idea there were so many. There are maybe 6 at my store. But now I will have to look into this... I mean, GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE GELATTO?!
    saa7r0xt1kd0.jpg

• Rabidrunner
    Options
    Agreed with the above, though I would add that the increased fiber in the banana hipster pseudo-dessert thingo does make it harder to overeat, as I feel pretty full after, whereas the ice cream is much easier to overeat. Other than that.... JUST EAT THE DAMN ICE CREAM. It's my new motto haha
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    "Just eat the damn ice cream" is what my husband says to me after Ive paced around the kitchen deciding whether or not to open the freezer. Pft.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    dam you people!! now I have to go to the store...
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    According to what I read from Drs Purlmutter and Hyman, added sugars are bad for you, but fruit is not. Added sugar dumps sugar in your blood stream, while that in a banana needs to process. So I would stick with my recipe. FYI, I purchase peanuts only peanut butter. It tastes very closely to the sugary fat kind. Best to you.
  • Rabidrunner
    edited March 2016
    Options
    According to what I read from Drs Purlmutter and Hyman, added sugars are bad for you, but fruit is not. Added sugar dumps sugar in your blood stream, while that in a banana needs to process. So I would stick with my recipe. FYI, I purchase peanuts only peanut butter. It tastes very closely to the sugary fat kind. Best to you.

I purchase the same peanut butter, ground right in front of me from unsalted peanuts. So you're preaching to the choir ;)

The sugar/salt is lower but I doubt that the fat content is significantly different-peanuts are just fatty little boogers in and of themselves. Probably why I like then so much.

Also, the process I think you're referring to is where the addition of fiber helps to slow down the uptake of sugar into the blood, just ask any diabetic!

Added sugars aren't necessarily bad, but may be metabolized differently depending on the context.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I actually make this exact thing from time to time. I also use bananas and other fruit. The difference is I can have nearly 2 cups of the fruit mix "ice cream" I make vs .5 cups of ice cream.

I'd rather be full than get hungry in 30 minutes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Now if only any of that were actually true...
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, the serving size in your banana/peanut butter thingie is about 50% larger. Plus your recipe, while calorie-dense, is also more nutrient-dense. So I mean, maybe the difference between the two is NOT negligible.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...have you tried PB2 instead of the peanut butter?
  • Rabidrunner
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, the serving size in your banana/peanut butter thingie is about 50% larger. Plus your recipe, while calorie-dense, is also more nutrient-dense. So I mean, maybe the difference between the two is NOT negligible.

Yeah.... I wish that were the case. I'm comparing half a cup of ice cream to half a cup of mashed banana plus a tablespoon of peanut butter plus a tablespoon of half an half. So, it's almost exactly the same size. Unfortunately.