Coffee creamer substitutes that don't suck??

Options
1235»

Replies

• kaileyhamilton315
    kaileyhamilton315 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Brithicks wrote: »
    I take half and half in my first cup then I squeeze a little lemon in my 2nd cup. It cuts the bitter and tastes great! Try it!

I've never heard of that before, but I'm ready to branch out! Thanks!
  • kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    I use almond milk. Sometimes Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, or original. With the Vanilla and Original I add a few sprinkles of Cinnamon. It definitely isn't a latte from Starbucks but it allows me to have my warm comfort drink in the Am for less then 50 cals

I hadn't tried flavored almond milk. Thanks for the tip!
    Staying at or under 1000 calories a day means that I reeeally have to be mindful of my choices. That 4 tbs of half and half for my 2 cups of coffee is beginning to feel pricey.

Anyone find a decent creamer for fewer calories? I've tried almond milk, but I can't. I just can't. It's like adding lighter colored water to my darker colored water.

I'd love some suggestions!!

I was the same and I went from adding 3 tbsp to one tbsp but did it gradually and now I like it at this amount.

Yup, it sounds like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just wean down my amount per cup. Thanks!
  • kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I just use the regular Lactaid whole milk. It's 20 calories per ounce, and that's about how much I use for a 16 oz. travel mug of coffee. I just need the teensiest bit of sugar, so all in all, it works out to 25-30 calories, total.

Thanks!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    I drink fatty coffee and my wife drinks honey coffee. We use dark roast, grind our beans and use a french press.
    Fatty Coffee: 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 tbsp grass fed cow butter & 2 cups of coffee. = 105 cal
    Honey Coffee: 1 tbsp organic heavy cream, 1 tbsp raw (local) honey & 2 cups of coffee. = 110 cal
    Both of these are mixed using an immersion blender to make a frothy top. Put a dash a cinnamon or pumpkin spice on top to change up the flavor.

Wow, that is an art to your cup of joe!!! Can I have a cup? :)

I don't know if it in an art. Just a bit of gastronomy. I can't make that little heart out of foam on the top :) Come over any time. Kitchen is open from 5:00 am to 6:30 am, while I am making breakfast and lunches for the family. Just don't mind me doing dishes, laundry, etc while running around getting the kids ready for school.
  • kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    I use two pods of mini moos half & half by Land-o-lakes and its pretty delish. I also like unsweetened Vanilla almond milk (not regular). Two pods is only 20 cals, I foam it and it tastes super delicious and creamy.

Foaming!! That's a great idea. Thanks!!
  • kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Skim milk and Torani sugar-free syrup. It's not quite the same, but it's not like zucchini noodles are the same as pasta, either.

Hahahaahaha, it's true. And yet, I've struggled far more with letting go of my hopes for creamy coffee than my hopes for noodle-y pasta. :). Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I only drink one cup of coffee a day and use liquid coffemate. Most of them are only 35 cals or less. I have tried repeatedly to like coffee black, but just can't. I don't eat breakfast though, so I don't mind sometimes wasting a few calories with HWC and sugar free syrups with liquid splenda.

The liquid coffee mate is something I'd like to try. I've only uses the powdered stuff and I just didn't like it. Thanks!

The liquid coffee mate creamers are far better than the powdered, IMO. I love the Italian Sweet Cream, the Coconut Caramel (tastes exactly like a Girl Scout Samoa cookie) and the Pumpkin Spice. 35 cals/tbsp.

I also think you should be eating more than 1000 cals/day though. What are your goals - how much are you trying to lose? Do you exercise, and when you do, do you eat back a portion of those calories?

I'm all for banking calories during the week for splurges on the weekend, however, for people on a lower calorie goal to begin with, getting adequate nutrition and just enough food period on 1000 cals/day seems unlikely.

• kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I only drink one cup of coffee a day and use liquid coffemate. Most of them are only 35 cals or less. I have tried repeatedly to like coffee black, but just can't. I don't eat breakfast though, so I don't mind sometimes wasting a few calories with HWC and sugar free syrups with liquid splenda.

The liquid coffee mate is something I'd like to try. I've only uses the powdered stuff and I just didn't like it. Thanks!

The liquid coffee mate creamers are far better than the powdered, IMO. I love the Italian Sweet Cream, the Coconut Caramel (tastes exactly like a Girl Scout Samoa cookie) and the Pumpkin Spice. 35 cals/tbsp.

I also think you should be eating more than 1000 cals/day though. What are your goals - how much are you trying to lose? Do you exercise, and when you do, do you eat back a portion of those calories?

I'm all for banking calories during the week for splurges on the weekend, however, for people on a lower calorie goal to begin with, getting adequate nutrition and just enough food period on 1000 cals/day seems unlikely.

Absolutely. I'm making the food changes under the supervision of my doctor, who suggested the calorie bank. All the same, if I'm hungry, I eat, per her orders. There are days that I feel very satisfied, and others when I feel empty, and on those days I take in a couple hundred more calories and then subtract that from my bank.

Exercise is slowly being added, due to some back and neck issues she's been working on with me. Soy first fitness goal is increased flexibility. Yoga 3x's per week, and walking or bike riding at leisure. It doesn't burn many calories, but that's not the goal of the exercise for me right now. It just feels good to touch my toes and not cringe. :)

Thanks for the coffee tips!!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this was suggested yet, but how about cashew milk? It's very creamy and only 30-90 calories ( unsweetened to sweetened ) for a cup. It pair well with coffee because it is pretty similar to half and half and not watery. Silk and Almond Breeze brands offer cashew milk. I am not sure if Trader joe's does because I haven't seen it at my store. GL
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Staying at or under 1000 calories a day means that I reeeally have to be mindful of my choices. That 4 tbs of half and half for my 2 cups of coffee is beginning to feel pricey.

Anyone find a decent creamer for fewer calories? I've tried almond milk, but I can't. I just can't. It's like adding lighter colored water to my darker colored water.

I'd love some suggestions!!

Walden Farms brand makes 0 calorie coffee creamers. I find it in my local Publix by the rice cakes. It's not amazing but its not bad!
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    When I feel like having creamer I use fairlife ultra filtered 2% milk. 1/4 cup, or 4 tbsp is only 30 calories. It seems creamier to me than regular milk (plus I buy it for my husband because it is easier on his stomach, they filter the lactose out). Sometimes I use cashew milk too. Way creamier than almond milk.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee with french vanilla creamer. Not all brands taste the same so I found one that gives the strongest flavor. For 70 calories I get 2 tablespoons (30ml) and a nicely flavored coffee.
  • Scaredycat2
    Scaredycat2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamer isn't a 'thing' where I live... and it's rare to have it with cream. Usually it's with milk - sometimes with flavoured syrup added.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    So .. I have the same issue . I LOVE coffee and flavored cream. But. I found that adding organic honey to hot black coffee is amazing and only 60 calories is all you need with the 0 calorie black coffee.. I love it because I'm an excessive coffee drinker. And I can still get my fix without the guilt :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Love to try new stuffs.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    4 Tb of whole milk has 36 calories, 4 tsp of Cremora Lite has 40 (probably equivalent to your 4 Tb of half & half), and 4 Tb of half & half has 79. A large part of the pleasure of half & half or whole milk with my coffee is the mouth feel of the fat -- for me, that would not be worth saving 40 calories. But chacun a son gout.
  • billy_mireles
    billy_mireles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Why don't you add protein? Taste awesome! !
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bailey's :wink:
  • cpfischer92
    cpfischer92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coffee-mate natural bliss sweet cream. It's 30 calories per serving....and typically I can get away with only one tablespoon :)
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    melodyesch wrote: »
    I use half and half every day. I have between 1-2 cups of coffee and I went to look up the half and half calories because this thread kind of scared me into thinking I must not be logging correctly. Land O Lakes half and half is 2 TBS per serving and each serving is 40 cals. But one TBS is plenty for one normal mug of coffee (for me). Makes the coffee the color of Halle Berry's skin (perfect). So I'm between 20-40 calories, depending on if I have one or two cups. Maybe cut back to 1TBS per cup and try that?

YES. This is how I drink mine. Can't go without it.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Silk almond creamer!
    About 20 calories per serving (2 tbsp)
    I think like 3 sugars. gluten free. Dairy free.
    There's vanilla, hazelnut & Carmel!