Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A point of clarification since so many people seem to be hung up on this topic -

There is a difference between burning fat and losing fat.

Burning fat -
    Burning fat is what all the magazine headlines talk about. It's what all the trendy exercise plans/devices promise. But here's the context they always leave out... Fat is one of 3 sources of energy available to the body. Fat is NOT the primary/preferred source of energy. When you exercise, your body burns calories for energy. Where those calories come from will vary, but will most often be from glucose, not fat. Burning fat is not an efficient way for the body to generate energy. Will you burn some fat while exercising? Maybe, but it'll be an insignificant amount, especially compared to the bigger picture that is every balance (calories in vs calories out). Which brings me to the second point...

Losing fat -
    Losing fat is the holy grail. It's what causes the scale to go down, clothes to fit better, and muscles to become more visible/defined. So whatever your goal, fat loss will probably help you get there. Fat loss is very big picture, very long term. It happens slowly, and is the net result of a longer term energy deficit. That's the key for fat loss... an energy deficit. That means that over time, fat stores will increase or decrease depending on your overall energy balance. Regardless of the types of food you eat or the exercise your do, your body will store fat if is getting more calories than it's using, and it will lose fat if is getting less than it's using. Period.

Think about it like a savings account. Every time you go shopping you burn some money. Sometimes it's a little money, sometimes it's a lot. Then, every week or 2 weeks or whatever you get paid. If, over time, your paychecks exceed your spending, your account balance will increase. If not, it'll decrease. It doesn't matter if your money is going to a charity for military families with orphaned kids who are rescuing abused puppies in third world countries advertised with Natalie Merchant songs, or if it's toward drugs and hookers. All that matters is money coming in vs money going out. Your body is the same way with calories/energy - more cals being consumed than being burned = weight/fat gain. Less = weight/fat loss.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    A point of clarification since so many people seem to be hung up on this topic -

Burning fat -
    Burning fat is what all the magazine headlines talk about. It's what all the trendy exercise plans/devices promise. But here's the context they always leave out... Fat is one of 3 sources of energy available to the body. Fat is NOT the primary/preferred source of energy. When you exercise, your body burns calories for energy. Where those calories come from will vary, but will most often be from glucose, not fat. Burning fat is not an efficient way for the body to generate energy. Will you burn some fat while exercising? Maybe, but it'll be an insignificant amount, especially compared to the bigger picture that is every balance (calories in vs calories out). Which brings me to the second point...

Losing fat -
    Losing fat is the holy grail. It's what causes the scale to go down, clothes to fit better, and muscles to become more visible/defined. So whatever your goal, fat loss will probably help you get there. Fat loss is very big picture, very long term. It happens slowly, and is the net result of a longer term energy deficit. That's the key for fat loss... an energy deficit. That means that over time, fat stores will increase or decrease depending on your overall energy balance. Regardless of the types of food you eat or the exercise your do, your body will store fat if is getting more calories than it's using, and it will lose fat if is getting less than it's using. Period.

Think about it like a savings account. Every time you go shopping you burn some money. Sometimes it's a little money, sometimes it's a lot. Then, every week or 2 weeks or whatever you get paid. If, over time, your paychecks exceed your spending, your account balance will increase. If not, it'll decrease. It doesn't matter if your money is going to a charity for military families with orphaned kids who are rescuing abused puppies in third world countries advertised with Natalie Merchant songs, or if it's toward drugs and hookers. All that matters is money coming in vs money going out. Your body is the same way with calories/energy - more cals being consumed than being burned = weight/fat gain. Less = weight/fat loss.

I wasn't confused before your clarification but I am now.

You say "There is a difference between burning fat and losing fat." and then define what you mean by burning fat by describing something that is about burning energy (of which burning fat is a sub-set).

In my mind there is no difference between burning fat and losing fat - It's fat that was there and is now gone*

So to me;

Burning Fat = Losing Fat
    Using energy may = burning fat

Or have is misinterpreted what you were saying?

* yes I know that fat cells don't go, they empty - but from a linguistic point of view we say "you need to lose some fat" rather than "you need to empty your fat cells"

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Burning fat -

Losing fat -

You say "There is a difference between burning fat and losing fat." and then define what you mean by burning fat by describing something that is about burning energy (of which burning fat is a sub-set).

In my mind there is no difference between burning fat and losing fat - It's fat that was there and is now gone*

So to me;

Burning Fat = Losing Fat

* yes I know that fat cells don't go, they empty - but from a linguistic point of view we say "you need to lose some fat" rather than "you need to empty your fat cells"

The difference goes back to what I think was the OP's point with his initial post. Exercising to burn fat will have a relatively insignificant impact on your overall progress compared to cals in vs cals out, which is why the whole exercise to lose fat mindset is flawed. The amount of fat you gain or lose as a result of energy balance is FAR greater than the amount of fat you might burn via exercise.

Based on your burning = losing ... using may or may not = burning statement, I think youve got a handle on all this.
  • sabrina_dolce
    sabrina_dolce Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    What are the best ways to drop weight and burn calories in a session at the gym ?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1) you lose weight by eating less than you burn
    2) when you workout - cardio or strength - you need to fuel your body appropriately so generally tend to eat more (see 1)
    3) if you exercise one part of your body, say abs, that does not mean the fat you lose will come from your abs if you are following 1) - fat will come from wherever it comes from - that doesn't mean you aren't isolating and strengthening those muscles though
    4) Cardio gives a bigger immediate calorie burn than strength - but the risk is if you haven't done 1) then you will overeat to compensate

so the answer to the question "Best way to lose weight" is always 1)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. This has been my experience. I lost weight by restricting calories and but my fitness gains made me stronger, faster, and more fit. I like my fitness goals more.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Burning fat -

Losing fat -

So to me;

Burning Fat = Losing Fat

You're burning fat at all times, the fat you eat and your fat stores. You're losing fat If you're in A deficit, when you're burning more fat than your body produces.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What about aerobic cardio like this Jane Fonda DVDs? I honestly thought if you exercize you burn calories.. And that leads to losing fat.. Guess times have changed lol!

Cardio burns calories, yes, but if you are eating in a caloric surplus you can do as many Jane Fonda workouts as you like and you still won't lose fat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    What about aerobic cardio like this Jane Fonda DVDs? I honestly thought if you exercize you burn calories.. And that leads to losing fat.. Guess times have changed lol!

Jane Fonda is on DVD now? Wow, that stuff was tired and old when it was on Beta and VHS.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lizlemon4 wrote: »
    People these days eat straight up crap. Chips, soda, hot dogs, McDonald's, and everything else. Never a veggie or a fruit oh how about some old fashioned water and a good run around the block. Take account for the things you consume or they will consume you with obesity and disease.
    what type of food you eat does not make you fat, it is the number of calories

cardio does not burn fat but it does create a greater calorie deficit when you count calories and that helps me lose weight, so i'll keep cardio-ing
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio burns more calories that anaerobic exercise, but again without a calorie deficit (with the exception of recomp), the body will retain fat.
    If one's TDEE is say 2000 and they eat 2000, they would NOT lose fat. Reduce intake by 250 calories and fat loss will happen. The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat.

@ninerbuff Yes, I understand how normal weight loss happens "Reduce intake...and fat loss will happen."

What I am confused by is your statement above: "(with the exception of recomp)". What exactly is the exception of recomp?

Why do you say "The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat."

I was under the impression that the body always has to be in a deficit to lose fat. And yet, I was also under the (mistaken?) impression that when people are recomping, they eat at TDEE. Another poster indicated above that people who are recomping don't eat at TDEE, but instead eat 100 calories under or something like that. What I'm having trouble understanding is your statements, because they seem to contradict that. Am I being dense here?

Could you please explain what you understand recomposition to be exactly and how it works, because the way you have worded things has me confused.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    People these days eat straight up crap. Chips, soda, hot dogs, McDonald's, and everything else. Never a veggie or a fruit oh how about some old fashioned water and a good run around the block. Take account for the things you consume or they will consume you with obesity and disease.

Incorrect. While some of these foods are higher in saturated fats there's nothing inherently wrong with them. Mostly they're just calorie dense. If you don't have high cholesterol or health issues that prevent you from having these then eating them is fine. Just don't comprise your entire diet of them.

Cardio is to make you healthier. It can improve so much of your life. It makes it easier for me to do high altitude hiking, lowers my blood pressure, cholesterol , and my HDL was 100 on my last checkup. It does burn fat but that's as explained in the opening post when you do longer lower intensity zoned endurance.

Also worth noting. It does not make you skinny. Professional marathon runners are skinny on purpose because you lose about 2 seconds per mile for each extra pound you carry. Light weight = greater speed. Your net calories determine your size. That is all.

so you can out run a bad diet?

Your net calories determine your size. That is all.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Incorrect. While some of these foods are higher in saturated fats there's nothing inherently wrong with them. Mostly they're just calorie dense. If you don't have high cholesterol or health issues that prevent you from having these then eating them is fine. Just don't comprise your entire diet of them.

Cardio is to make you healthier. It can improve so much of your life. It makes it easier for me to do high altitude hiking, lowers my blood pressure, cholesterol , and my HDL was 100 on my last checkup. It does burn fat but that's as explained in the opening post when you do longer lower intensity zoned endurance.

Also worth noting. It does not make you skinny. Professional marathon runners are skinny on purpose because you lose about 2 seconds per mile for each extra pound you carry. Light weight = greater speed. Your net calories determine your size. That is all.

so you can out run a bad diet?
    You can in the penitentiary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Even then you'll need to have a good base cardio level to maintain the running.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    BobJ19956 wrote: »
    I am not following this whole discussion. I currently weigh 200 lbs. Supposedly my daily calorie need to maintain this weight (without exercise) is about 2600 calories. That essentially is just to breath and function. I decide to watch my calories and strive to take in just 2000 calories per day ... a deficit of 600. That by itself should lead to weight loss. BUT I also throw in 60 minutes of daily cardio exercise which burns an additional 500 calories. I do not eat back my exercise calories. This makes my total daily deficit 1100 calories. One could argue that this deficit is too much, BUT how can one say that the added cardio exercise is not going to increase your weight loss?

I think the OP is just stating that your 600 calorie deficit is all that you need to lose fat. The cardio is optional.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Not sure if this was just a UK ad but I loved it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxzdo8FfrW0

That has got to be one of my favourite ads ever. Hubby and I still yell, "belly's gonna get you!" at each other when we're out running.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    1) you lose weight by eating less than you burn
    2) when you workout - cardio or strength - you need to fuel your body appropriately so generally tend to eat more (see 1)
    3) if you exercise one part of your body, say abs, that does not mean the fat you lose will come from your abs if you are following 1) - fat will come from wherever it comes from - that doesn't mean you aren't isolating and strengthening those muscles though
    4) Cardio gives a bigger immediate calorie burn than strength - but the risk is if you haven't done 1) then you will overeat to compensate

so the answer to the question "Best way to lose weight" is always 1)

+1
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

Jane Fonda is on DVD now? Wow, that stuff was tired and old when it was on Beta and VHS.

New DVDs, like this version did not exist when Beta and VHS existed
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    You do burn calories when you exercise, but the amount of fat you burn is pretty insignificant when you do it. As mentioned several times in the thread, calorie deficit is NEEDED to burn off the excess fat you've stored. No deficit, no fat loss (again with the exception of recomp).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Being in good cardio vascular health makes you feel fantastic. And that should be enough

QFT
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    What are the best ways to drop weight and burn calories in a session at the gym ?
    You don't drop weight in the gym. This is another myth. In fact it's not uncommon to weigh more after a session. Why? Because many people drink water/fluids and that weight is retained in the body.
    Best way to burn calories in the gym is a form of aerobic activity at a moderate to high intensity level over say a 30-60 minute period. It's subjective as to which exercise is best because not everyone agrees what they like and don't like.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png