Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Screenshot_2016-02-29-12-57-31_zpsqeb4aekr.png

:D

Hate those flaps though. They always stop sticking after a while and are apparently too hard for kids to close properly (SIGH).

You're just not eating them fast enough ;)

Yeah I have two cookies maybe twice a week, if that... lol. I end up putting the boxes in ziploc bags if it's the kind of Oreos that my kids don't like.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Screenshot_2016-02-29-12-57-31_zpsqeb4aekr.png

:D

Hate those flaps though. They always stop sticking after a while and are apparently too hard for kids to close properly (SIGH).

You're just not eating them fast enough ;)

Yeah I have two cookies maybe twice a week, if that... lol. I end up putting the boxes in ziploc bags if it's the kind of Oreos that my kids don't like.

Two a day for me if they're the non-thins. Usually 3 or the full serving of 4 if they're the thins.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    hj4p1dya3ivi.jpeg
    I made this over the weekend. Oreo icebox cake. Used birthday cake Oreos. Red velvet flavor is next

Interesting. How was the texture of the oreos after freezing them with the cool whip? Did they stay crunchy, or turn more into the texture of an ice cream sandwich?

I did not freeze the cake. I dipped the Oreos in milk for a few seconds. Softens them up. Then cool whip on top and another layer oreos then cool whip. It has a little crunchyness. The more you soak them in the milk the less crunchy. This could use come chocolate sauce once you plate it. This is so simple to make.

So is it just a pile of Oreos and Cool-Whip?

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, I'm just not sure I get it if it's not frozen.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    hj4p1dya3ivi.jpeg
    I made this over the weekend. Oreo icebox cake. Used birthday cake Oreos. Red velvet flavor is next

Interesting. How was the texture of the oreos after freezing them with the cool whip? Did they stay crunchy, or turn more into the texture of an ice cream sandwich?

I did not freeze the cake. I dipped the Oreos in milk for a few seconds. Softens them up. Then cool whip on top and another layer oreos then cool whip. It has a little crunchyness. The more you soak them in the milk the less crunchy. This could use come chocolate sauce once you plate it. This is so simple to make.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, I'm just not sure I get it if it's not frozen.

I always thought Icebox cakes were supposed to be refrigerated, not frozen (which I agree make no sense considering their name, but heck)? The cookies are supposed to get soft... that wouldn't happen if they were frozen. Although typically they use whipped cream, not whipped topping, but it's probably similar (I've done some with vanilla sweetened ricotta for more protein and it was delish, although I used graham crackers and not oreos).
  • peleroja
    Options
    hj4p1dya3ivi.jpeg

I always thought Icebox cakes were supposed to be refrigerated, not frozen (which I agree make no sense considering their name, but heck)? The cookies are supposed to get soft... that wouldn't happen if they were frozen. Although typically they use whipped cream, not whipped topping, but it's probably similar (I've done some with vanilla sweetened ricotta for more protein and it was delish, although I used graham crackers and not oreos).
    hj4p1dya3ivi.jpeg

Well, an "icebox" was really more of a refrigerator-temperature thing than a freezer so I guess it makes sense in that regard, but it just doesn't seem like there's much to the recipe to make it seem like an appealing option, I guess. Not that I have a problem with Oreos or whipped cream, I just don't really see it as a "cake" or a dessert that makes sense in combination, I guess.

Oreo cheesecake, I get, though.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Basically yes. Very easy to make and that is why i did it.

I think traditional icebox cake would incorporate a layer of pudding into it. Typically vanilla and chocolate.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Back in the day there was no flap. No ultra plastic custom cookie nesters either. A length of corrugated white paper was folded in on itself to form rows, and cookies were accessed from the top, row by row. A metal twist tie allowed for freshness.
  • carrieraeg
    carrieraeg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I picked up some red velvet Oreos today for the first time, and they are amazing....I may have had a few too many.

So worth it.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Back in the day there was no flap. No ultra plastic custom cookie nesters either. A length of corrugated white paper was folded in on itself to form rows, and cookies were accessed from the top, row by row. A metal twist tie allowed for freshness.

That's the way I remember them, too. Sometimes progress is not a good thing. I usually have to put the cookies in a large resealable bag to keep them fresh.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I am lactose intolerant and miss cheesecake so much. Oreo cheesecake was the best followed in 2nd place with graham cracker crust.

Maybe I should go by some stupid silly vegan cream cheese and try to make some for myself again.
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I went to the store and found some white fudge covered Oreo's. They are never available this long after Christmas. I am so happy!

Ahhh! Those are my favorite! Where did you happen to find them? I missed out on them this year.

Although, Oreo truffles (1 pack cream cheese plus one pack oreos, crushed/combined, chilled, dipped in white chocolate bark) are a very yummy but unhealthy alternative. ;)
  • peleroja
    edited March 2016
    Options

I am lactose intolerant and miss cheesecake so much. Oreo cheesecake was the best followed in 2nd place with graham cracker crust.

Maybe I should go by some stupid silly vegan cream cheese and try to make some for myself again.

Vegan cream cheese is pretty good for cheesecake IMO - I can't stand it as a savory thing as I think it's very sweet on its own compared to the real thing, but for desserts I think it works. The real problem is getting your egg substitute to create a suitably fluffy texture if you're doing a vegan one. I've yet to get anything that relies on eggs to not come out bricklike when I try to bake vegan and I feel like I've tried every substitute out there. Sigh. Maybe if you did a no-bake one?

ETA: I just reread your comment and realized you're not a vegan, just can't do milk, so all that waxing on about eggs was pointless, lol.
  • marvinjoa
    marvinjoa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    rgbmore wrote: »
    I went to the store and found some white fudge covered Oreo's. They are never available this long after Christmas. I am so happy!

Ahhh! Those are my favorite! Where did you happen to find them? I missed out on them this year.

Although, Oreo truffles (1 pack cream cheese plus one pack oreos, crushed/combined, chilled, dipped in white chocolate bark) are a very yummy but unhealthy alternative. ;)

Well at least I can tell you, in Europe/Germany we have them 365 days a year, but those chocolate/fudge covered oreos are my least favorite ones.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I found them at Kroger.
    marvinjoa wrote: »

Well at least I can tell you, in Europe/Germany we have them 365 days a year, but those chocolate/fudge covered oreos are my least favorite ones.

I found them at Kroger. The actually brown chocolate fudge is available all yr round but, the white fudge is only around Christmas.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    double post

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Ok, guys, I'm gonna attempt an offer that didn't work so well the first time I tried it but since we're mostly oreo loving peeps here... :)

When there's a new flavor of oreo I want to try, I buy two packages at the same time. There's this whole back log of cookies/expiration date order/what if I like the flavor and only bought one package thing going on.

So I bought two packages of the gingerbread oreos and finally got to them. And I'm not in love...so I've been tossing the creamy center and just eating the wafers.

Which is cool but shouldn't the other package go to a good home? One that appreciates gingerbread more than I do?

Soooooooooooo if anyone wanted to try them but missed out, the package is yours. You just have to trust me with your address. :p
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    6um0vg0t5nzr.jpeg
    I have not bought a pack of Oreos (not counting the snack pack minis) since I moved out on my own 4 years ago.

And now look what this thread made me do!!!!!

The thins are going to work. The birthday cake will stay home.

~Lyssa
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad that I can no longer eat Oreos. I used to love Oreos with peanut butter on top. The alternatives (k-toos) are just not the same.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    6um0vg0t5nzr.jpeg
    I have not bought a pack of Oreos (not counting the snack pack minis) since I moved out on my own 4 years ago.

~Lyssa

Mwahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This thread makes me sad that I can no longer eat Oreos. I used to love Oreos with peanut butter on top. The alternatives (k-toos) are just not the same.

That's the saddest story I've ever heard.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    6um0vg0t5nzr.jpeg

~Lyssa

Mwahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!
    elphie754 wrote: »

That's the saddest story I've ever heard.

I really debated between the chocolate cookie cake batter and the yellow (vanilla??) cookie ones.

Decided vanilla would pair a touch better.

I had a 2/$5 coupon so I really wasn't gonna bother resisting anymore.

Damn you, Carlos!!!

~Lyssa