WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Replies

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 445 Member
    Michele, all my grandparents were from Poland and my parents used Polish as their secret language that we kids did not understand except for a few choice words of course. I learned a couple of words as a kid and made my grandfather very happy, then I tried again at night school in my twenties. Now I am trying Duolingo. I really want to visit Poland someday and not sound like a complete idiot there but at this rate I will not get much past "the big animals drink milk" I am afraid...I wish my parents had taught me! I know lots of words but putting them together? The word endings change all over the place. Argh...but I will keep at it...

Betty
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Thanks Peach... Looking back, my mom was really wonderful and a person that tackled everything... Hey Betty Crocker couldn't keep up with her! She quilted, canned, gardened, sewed, did upholstery, spoke Latin, had perfect penmanship, and had a perfect 34-25-36 figure. Sadly looking back, she stressed herself out a lot! I never even tried to do half the things she did, but I know my older sisters tried. Hard to live up to an icon of a lady.
    I have learned to let go of what I am suppose to be, and just try to focus on what I can do. I know my mother had such a responsibility to be this certain wife, and mother that she lost sight of who Joanne really was. After the divorce, she was a mess, and being a freshman in high school I had to be the strong one. I have learned that she did the best she could do, in a tough situation. I also realized that I started overeating during that time. I spent some time mourning that young girl that didn't have a support system. Just like my mother didn't have the greatest support system. She went to palm readers, and fortune tellers she wanted answers so desperately. Crazy huh?
    hmmm thanks for letting me vent.....
    Becca
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,817 Member
    Kim ... I'm so sorry your day was interrupted by such an unpleasant encounter... I suspect I would've been way over 1200 calories if it had been me ... Hugs!

Pip ... Hugs ... Grief has no time limit ...

Betty ... My Polish is limited to food items ... Gee ... There's a surprise ...

Beth
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    Becca - gorgeous family - so I was trying to guess which of the girls you are, there is defiantly a family "look" are you in white?

Kim in N cal
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    NSV- I have been wearing Women's size 20 jeans for YEARS. They were getting baggier and baggier, needing a belt to stay up. This morning I tried on a Misses size 18 jean that had been WAY too tight for YEARS. They fit and I wore them comfortably all day! The Misses sizing doesn't have added room for belly like the Women's sizing does, so I didn't think they would fit!
  • GodMomKim
    Miriam - awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! great job!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Wonderful NSV Miriam! A great feeling I'm sure!

Cheri
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2016
    Kim I think Becca is on the right side of the photo ... White top pink striped skirt.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited March 2016
    Kim- i'm sorry that you had such a tough time with your DAB. Don't beat yourself up about indulging a little bit it sounds like you stopped and got back on track! Yay!

Miriam- congratulations on your NSV! I am so happy for you!

Pip- :'( I really feel for you! You are an awesome lady!

Becca((hugs))) what a beautiful family!
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: We had a wonderful time on our test sail. Today has been rainy off and on, but while we were on the water the sun was shining. We had fun sailing, and then--the sail fell down onto the deck. The fitting at the top had come undone. This was a brand new boat and we were with someone from the boatyard who clearly couldn't believe that nobody panicked. He didn't know he had a boatload of experienced sailors. We got the boat back to the dock safely. The rain kicked back into action right after we got back to the dock. We went out for lunch with the kids afterward. I had arugula salad with grilled beef bits and balsamic dressing on the side. 468 calories. :bigsmile: They had beer and I had mint tea. It was a day I'll remember with fondness. I'll look for Power Poses and Presence. Thanks for the recommendations. :flowerforyou:

Miriam: I carry weight on my hips and backside first and most, but my tummy was pretty big when I started this process. I'm still hoping my skin will eventually shrink to fit. It seems firmer and less wrinkly but I could be delusional. :wink: Or succumbing to wishful thinking. :ohwell:

Michele: I agree with you about the key to success being portion control and logging. I eat the things I want, but I faithfully log it and I'm a demon for portion control. I have food issues regarding lactose intolerance and acid reflux. Keeping them at bay requires careful attention, especially since I quit taking the Nexium after discovering it is connected to Alzheimers. Scary stuff. :noway: "I'm feeling MUCH better now." Buddy Ryan on Night Court. :devil: (See clip below—I hope)

Kim: I'm sorry about your brother's bad attitude. I'm in favor of staying away from him as much as possible. You deserve better treatment. (((hugs)))

Becca: You look wonderful with your dad and your sisters back in the day. I think you take after your mom. You're the sister in the white & pink on the right side of the photo, aren't you. You've evidently always had a lovely smile. :smiley:

Pip: You are a generous hearted woman to give the guitar to your previous husband's son. I admire you for many things and this is one of them. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

https://youtu.be/M8KdtJOCzOU
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,062 Member
    Katla - Jeff Goodell is my late husbands older brother. I had to ask him first before thinking of selling it or giving it to someone else. One day soon, I plan on looking at a trunk that I have and see if Jeff wants all of it or some of the contents, it's been a few years since I looked in it
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 445 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Kim ... I'm so sorry your day was interrupted by such an unpleasant encounter... I suspect I would've been way over 1200 calories if it had been me ... Hugs!

Pip ... Hugs ... Grief has no time limit ...

Betty ... My Polish is limited to food items ... Gee ... There's a surprise ...

Beth

Ditto, Beth!!!
    Betty
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Goblet squat-3X7X30
    Russian kettle bell swing- 17X15X30 = 255

Challenge Total- 2265

I decided to increase the number of reps per set to 15. Again I use the 30 pound kettle bell on Stronglifts workout day.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Cheri – A whole year logging your food every day? I'm truly impressed!

Becca - Your neighbor is right, you ARE a beautiful lady. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind which of the three gorgeous girls in that Hawaii reunion pic is you.

Lisa - Best wishes for a good consensus decision about taking that job or not. I can definitely see the attraction in four years' worth of pay in just 18 months. Judging from what you had to say about workplace culture and expectations, it's probably two or three years' worth of work in 18 months, too. But you know your own strengths – and kicking butt big time where kicking is deserved is undoubtedly one of them. ;) Back in the day, I could sometimes enjoy having a lot of hassle around me because I tolerated it well and chaos made me look good. I suspect it makes you look good too. Sadly I'm not that young anymore.

Kim - Sorry to hear about your brother's behavior, especially that all his bitching was preferable to what he might have done. Once again a tale of woe has made me appreciate how lucky I am in my family. We're all so mild mannered there are never any arguments. o:) The back side is that we can never make decisions either. (Typical conversation: So where shall we go for dinner? Well, there's that new Thai place, but if other people prefer something else... We usually go to the Woodbine but we don't have to go there. Oh, I'm easy with that if you like it. But Thai would be fine, too. Not just for my sake. Whatever you guys want. ...and the hours pass...)

Flew up to Longyearbyen today. Just after we reached cruising altitude the pilot came on the PA system and said we had spectacular Northern Lights to our left. He dimmed the cabin lights and lots of people jumped up and squeezed toward the windows on the left side of the plane. I had a window seat on the right side, but the Northern Lights were pretty good there too. A youngish couple from Belgium had the other two seats between me and the aisle. I let them lean over me and gawk as long as they wanted. When the crew decided enough was enough and turned on the cabin lights again, the woman said with a sigh of satisfaction that she'd just crossed something off her bucket list. She'd always wanted to see the Northern Lights.
    /Penny, relaxing my tense shoulders now that I'm finally back at the emoticon-object-026.gif

• imar0se
    imar0se Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    This weekend I went to 2 birthday parties in 2 days. I was able to avoid all of the sugary treats at party #1, and only had 1/2 a piece of cake at party #2. I was so proud of myself for not overdoing, and even said "no" to a free Subway sandwich because I knew I would eat the whole footlong eventhough I wasn't hungry.
    My goal for March is to lose 10 pounds and begin walking outside for 30 minutes at least 3 times a week.

Karen in Nebraska
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Larisa, gosh it sounds like you have been a busy and productive lady. Good for you!!!

Vicki,NE, I know from experience that it is not fun to change a colostomy bag but that is great of you to be willing to help your friend. That is sad that she has no one else to help her.

Allie, I think you are doing great with your exercises!!!!

Pip, that’s nice to return the guitar to its origin.

Kay, that is wonderful to fit into anything that you thought would be too small. Congrats. I’ll dance for you when you reach onederland. It was one exciting day for me to be sure. Keep up the great work!!!!!

Rosi, sorry about your friend. I’m glad it was a nice service. You are so right that each day is a gift. Thanks for the reminder.

Donna, being a big loser has become one of our great joys in life. Who would have known?

Larisa, good for you on doing the right thing all week. Yay you is right!!! Keep it up. Just so you’ll know, after you post you can go back and add or edit for up to an hour. In the upper right hand corner of your post if you put your cursor there, a symbol will appear and the word “edit” under it. You can click on that and add something. I think it only took me a year to learn that one. Lol

Kim, wow, I can’t believe that guy wanted your mom to take care of his mother! Some people really have their nerve. I’d say they are lucky that you mom is there to help until her children arrive.

Anna, you are right about many Mothers using food to fix problems. Our society is terrible about using food as a reward, too. One of my favorite quotes is: “Do not reward yourself with food. You are not a dog.”

Janetr, congrats that hubby has seen muscle definition already. You are doing a great job!

CarolNC, so glad you had a good time with your date #2. About the first guy, to be honest I would give him a flat “no” without an excuse or he will keep asking. If it was such a terrible date surely he didn’t have a wonderful time? My answer on the invite would be something like, “I can’t make it but it was nice of you to invite me”.

Heather, Happy Mother’s Day. What a nice surprise from your son. If DDIL was responsible that’s okay as I’m sure she loves having a great MIL as much as I did.

Karen, what a wonderful night with your DD, even if it was late. Good for you both!

Kay, if your foot treatment lasted from July to now I’d say that’s not too bad.

Arbeej, welcome. I can’t imagine anyone on here that would not be impressed with your 20 pound loss!!! That is terrific. We are here for support so come often. We request that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location is great, general or specific.

Cheri, way to go on sticking with MFP. Keep up the great work.

Heather, good info on the Power Poses and something worth considering.

MicheleNC, welcome home. I know you would have gladly stayed in FL a bit longer.

Pip, you are one lucky lady to have two loves of your life. I know you miss Lenny and I’m glad you have such special memories.

Miriam, wonderful NSV on the jeans!!! Way to go.

Katla, so glad the sailing went well and the sun shined on you!!!

Karen, good for you on limiting the BD cake. Keep up the great work.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Didn’t do too much today. Did bake my bran muffins so I can get back to my regular breakfast tomorrow. Thursday through Sunday I’ll be at the Moose convention. Even though it is here in town, we stay at the convention hotel as it’s so much easier. Plus who doesn’t’ want to wake up looking at the beach each morning?? We usually take good food to eat and only eat out twice so I should do okay. Sending best wishes to all of you for all your goals to be met and the pounds to drop off.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GodMomKim
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,062 Member
    c3xe06l64rq3.jpeg
    This is Jeff Goodell, ;enny's bro
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    And yes, it does get harder the nearer you are to goal, because you weigh less, so you require less fuel just to live. It's really hard for short people.

Heather UK

This is me and it made me laugh! I want to lose 15-20 pounds and I'm 5'2". Really, I don't care what the scale says, I just want to feel and look better and right now, I need the scale to measure my progress.
  • trailgirl777
    trailgirl777 Posts: 51 Member
    Plz add me to this lovely group! Northwest region. Big goal but no specific time frame cause im making small steps. Ofc faster is better!