• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Meh
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The same way I feel about people who like sushi. Not my cup of tea, but unless they are forcefully stuffing sushi down my throat It doesn't make one bit of a difference to me. What people choose to eat or not eat is none of my business as long as it doesn't affect me.

Vegans (or people following any other way of eating) who feel they are morally superior to me or are better than me just because they eat differently don't bother me at all. If it makes them feel better about themselves, more power to them. Not my job to sort out everyone's personal issues, and I don't care enough for it to affect me.

Now if I can't get into my favorite pizza place because of a vegan demonstration (happened, luckily disbanded very quickly by the police), the issue becomes very personal! Demonstrate all you want, it's your right, but do it without trying to control my right of choice.
  • dorener
    dorener Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it's great for those who want to and can be extremely healthy! Plant based food in it's natural form is the best there is. That said the only friends I had who became vegan went over the edge, every social media post is attacking the moral compass of those who eat meat and that I can not tolerate. We each make the choices we feel are best for ourselves and/or family, right or wrong to others.
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have no personal issue with anyone following a vegan existence. They do their thing and I do mine. I only get a bit grumpy when I am judged for doing my thing because it doesn't fit another's outlook or opinion.

I always think of it like this; opinions are like belly buttons - everyone has one and no-one wants yours shoved in their face. Which is why I don't give my opinions unless asked - like we have been in this thread.
  • willybilly30
    willybilly30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am trying to change to veganism
    i am going lacto ovo this month (milk and eggs)
    i joined a group on here called happy herbivores it is terrific
    I am going Vegan cause i feel it is right
    We do not need to eat animals in fact it is unhealthy
    Animals suffer in factories there are many documentries showing the horrors
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of it and have tried from time to time. I always feel hungry on a vegan diet, and I always gain weight. I have less energy, too.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options

So true we don't need to eat animals but it's not necessarily unhealthy, depends.
    Also very true animals suffer in the food production industry and there are documentaries on Netflix and clips on Youtube obtained by people who went undercover at great risk to their personal safety in order to show the public what goes on behind closed doors - horrific acts of cruelty inflicted on some animals, very distressing viewing so if anyone goes to watch these for the first time be warned. Regardless of whether these are one-off cases or whether they occur regularly, the fact is they should not be happening at all.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I rarely feel anything about veganism. I don't understand or agree with some of the notions I've heard from vegans but to each his own.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Meh.

They can enjoy their Omega 3 and B12 deficiencies.

TIL I have an Omega 3 and B12 deficiency because I'm vegan. "Enjoy your mercury poisoning!" See how stupid generalizations sound?

It's actually fairly common for vegans and vegetarians to have B12 and omega 3 deficiencies without supplementation. There are a lot of people who go into this kind of stuff without actually knowing or understanding how this kind of change can impact their nutrition or how to get that nutrition from other sources that they're not getting from not eating meat or fish.

But many of us supplement specifically for this reason. So to tell a vegan (who is very possibly supplementing or using fortified foods) to "enjoy their deficiency" comes across as very flip and inaccurate.

It's like telling a non-vegan who wears sunscreen to enjoy their vitamin D deficiency when many foods are fortified with vitamin D specifically to help people avoid deficiency.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    dorener wrote: »
    I think it's great for those who want to and can be extremely healthy! Plant based food in it's natural form is the best there is. That said the only friends I had who became vegan went over the edge, every social media post is attacking the moral compass of those who eat meat and that I can not tolerate. We each make the choices we feel are best for ourselves and/or family, right or wrong to others.

People who feel the need to be obnoxious on social media are always going to find a way. Veganism is just an excuse.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

It is not unhealthy to eat animals and not all meat comes from animals raised in horrific conditions. Going vegan would save you from having to find humanely raised animals but it doesn't mean that everyone that eats meat supports the horrors of factory farmed meat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am trying to change to veganism
    i am going lacto ovo this month (milk and eggs)
    i joined a group on here called happy herbivores it is terrific
    I am going Vegan cause i feel it is right

All cool apart from the last two points which are judgemental, inaccurate scaremongering comments and the reasons people like you think people have a problem with vegans

Keep your eyes on your own plate
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Meh.

TIL I have an Omega 3 and B12 deficiency because I'm vegan. "Enjoy your mercury poisoning!" See how stupid generalizations sound?

It's actually fairly common for vegans and vegetarians to have B12 and omega 3 deficiencies without supplementation. There are a lot of people who go into this kind of stuff without actually knowing or understanding how this kind of change can impact their nutrition or how to get that nutrition from other sources that they're not getting from not eating meat or fish.

But many of us supplement specifically for this reason. So to tell a vegan (who is very possibly supplementing or using fortified foods) to "enjoy their deficiency" comes across as very flip and inaccurate.

It's like telling a non-vegan who wears sunscreen to enjoy their vitamin D deficiency when many foods are fortified with vitamin D specifically to help people avoid deficiency.
    I understand your point, but keep in mind it's become accepted in the medical community that unless one is actually taking supplements, getting vitamin D solely through food supplementation is not enough.

• vintagecrimes
    vintagecrimes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I personally find that most people do it to be trendy...I was told at work to consider "vegan" as a food allergy...its not an allergy its a lifestyle choice. I also have known quite a few people who claimed to be vegan but ate dairy and seafood products. "I don't eat milk products i'm vegan" well guess what right now you are consuming cheeze-it crackers, what do you think is in them? It just reminds me of high school when everyone wanted to be straight edge....without knowing it meant you couldn't even take aspirin. so bottom line I think its fine if people want to make that decision as long as its something they strongly believe in and aren't just following the crowd.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Meh.

I understand your point, but keep in mind it's become accepted in the medical community that unless one is actually taking supplements, getting vitamin D solely through food supplementation is not enough.

I understand, but I'm just pointing out that fortified foods to avoid deficiencies are pretty common for non-vegans. We fortify flour, we fortify milk, we fortify salt, we fortify protein powders, we fortify juice. But suddenly when it comes to veganism, (some) people get all weird about fortification.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I feel I have canine teeth for a reason--and that's because I belong to an opportunistic and omnivorous species :-) So personally, I'm a "preferential vegetarian"--who eats mostly veg, but eats eggs about 3 days a week, cheese or dairy about 2 days a week, and meat maybe once or twice a week.

But being part of an opportunistic and omnivorous species means that we can eat different stuff, and we don't NEED meat or animal products to survive. so if it makes you feel good, do it!
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I made the switch to veganism a little while ago. I love it! I mostly did it for health reasons but the more research I do, the better I feel about my choice. :)
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Veganism is not for me but if it works for you on a moral, spiritual or physical level then I have no issue. I like having the option of eating meat when I want it and as an ex slaughter man I don't have much left in the way of morals on the subject.
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As long as you're doing it because you believe in it and not as a short term diet (like my sister does. Every time she starts getting a little heavier she decides to go vegan, keeps it up for a month, then binges on meat once shes lost weight), more power to you. Have your facts straight, dont patronize me, dont force your diet on your pets, and we're good.