Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Going to bed hungry

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    It takes most people 1.5 days to digest food.

What would the half life be - 3 hours ?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I never go to bed hungry because I eat 90% of my calories right before bed lol
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You should feel content...not stuffed but not achingly hungry either...I don't want to do a pm after dinner snack so I either do all my meals a little later than traditionally done and if I need to have something I go for protein or just go to bed earlier.

Sleep is important in making good food choices the next time around too.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

No. The half-life would be .75 days or 18 hours.
  • yarwell
    Options

the half life is quoted in the literature as 3 hours, so where do you get that from ?

Even if the 1.5 days is correct, which I doubt, the half life could be 1 hour, 3 hours or 10 hours as the rate of digestion does not have to be linear.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options

the half life is quoted in the literature as 3 hours, so where do you get that from ?

Even if the 1.5 days is correct, which I doubt, the half life could be 1 hour, 3 hours or 10 hours as the rate of digestion does not have to be linear.

Are you only talking about the time it takes to clear the stomach? Because that is not the full process of digestion.

"The average transit time through just the large intestine (colon) was 40 hours, with significant difference between men and women: 33 hours for men, 47 hours for women."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/FAQ-20058340

Uh oh, I linked to another site, I hope I don't get this thread closed too....

• yarwell
    Options
    I'm interested in the time it takes for the nutrients to be passed to the bloodstream. The time it takes for the residue to leave is less interesting.

So how long for half (or all) the nutrients to be absorbed, or similar.

For glucose for example the post prandial period is said to be 4 hours at https://openi.nlm.nih.gov/detailedresult.php?img=2811454_zdc1110977750001&req=4 after whichit's the "post absorptive" period.
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Go to be starving ? No. Go to bed full ? No Go to bed , a little hungry or satiated ? Yes.
    It isn't possible to sleep when you are starving. Being full is not good either, it disturbs the sleep. The in between is good.
    Going to bed a little hungry means you ate pretty good, but have a little calories deficit. If I want a bedtime snack I avoid carbs, instead I eat things like yogurt.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've got hypoglycemia. Going to bed hungry is an insanely bad idea for me, as I can easily wake up with blood sugar in the 40s.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If my wife goes to bed with a full tummy, she vomits. Therefore, she doesn't eat 3 hours before she expects to go to bed.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If my wife goes to bed with a full tummy, she vomits. Therefore, she doesn't eat 3 hours before she expects to go to bed.

Thanks for sharing
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I've got hypoglycemia. Going to bed hungry is an insanely bad idea for me, as I can easily wake up with blood sugar in the 40s.

Glad I'm not the only one. :) I usually have some kind of cracker and tea before bed, and eat breakfast almost immediately upon waking. While "meal timing" doesn't have much effect on weight loss, it can have a tremendous effect on health.
  • ValerieDLC
    ValerieDLC Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I go to bed perfectly satisfied and wake up with raging hunger pangs to the point I can't sleep. Your body knows what it needs, don't deny it, just choose smart.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Whether you go to bed hungry or not has no direct effect on your weight loss.

It can have indirect effects as far as causing poor sleep which then effects workouts, ability to keep on track, etc. I can't fall asleep if I'm hungry unless I'm totally exhausted. Other people get acid reflux if they try to go to sleep too soon after eating a meal, that sort of thing.

Just do whichever works best for you.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If I stay up too late I start to get hungry again. I might eat something but usually I don't. The hunger fades away once I start sleeping anyway. I don't even wake up hungry and can easily push out breakfast for a couple hours after waking.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Going to bed full or hung has zero bearing on whether you are going to burn fat or not.
    Correct...
    If you are in a calorie deficit for the day then you will burn fat
    Correct...
    if you are not then you won't
    Correct...

If you are not a late night eater go to bed hungry. If you are a late night eater don't go to bed hungry. Your style of eating should support your likes and dislikes not sabotage them.

Personal preference wins again...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    If you are a fat burner, you ll burn fat, if you are a sugar burner you ll burn muscle/sugar.

???
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It takes 21 days or as long as 66 days to form a habit so I am waiting for my body to not get hungry at night or at least get used to the hunger pangs.

I have acid reflux so it kinda forces me not to eat anything after a certain time. I'd rather have hunger pangs than acid reflux any day.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just had a can of tuna or 260 calories from protein and fats. In my case as long as it is not carbs late night eating seems to not be an issue weight wise.