Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating before going to sleep

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    And what happens if you're awake between 12-3am?

Not having a pop, it's just I'm sure many people are still awake at that hour.

And what happens if you live in one time zone, but travel to another? I mean, if I travel from Mountain time zone (GMT -7) to London (GMT), does the liver filtery thingy now happen between 7- 10 am??? Does the liver know to reset its clock, or does the brain send it a memo, or what?

But if you cross the international dateline, what happens then? Liver on the Barbie.

Mmmmm, BBQ liver and onions.

But not less than 3 hours before bedtime. Because, well, y'know.......
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Calories in and calories out. But, that being said, if I eat late at night it affects my sleep and I know hinders digestion. I feel better if I don't eat after, say, 2000 hrs.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    My mom always fusses with me saying that i shouldnt eat after like 7 because it will make me gain weight. What's your view on this and why?

Aside from the calorie deficit thing, I just read an article on the time during the night when your liver filters everything. I think it was between 12-3am. So to not have food in your stomach beforehand is a plus otherwise digestion continues instead. Though the calorie deficit thing is solid, you want a healthy working liver because it has lots to do with metabolizing food. Just some info to consider. I personally eat some cucumber before bed to keep the fires stoked :)
    My mom always fusses with me saying that i shouldnt eat after like 7 because it will make me gain weight. What's your view on this and why?

Aside from the calorie deficit thing, I just read an article on the time during the night when your liver filters everything. I think it was between 12-3am. So to not have food in your stomach beforehand is a plus otherwise digestion continues instead. Though the calorie deficit thing is solid, you want a healthy working liver because it has lots to do with metabolizing food. Just some info to consider. I personally eat some cucumber before bed to keep the fires stoked :)

Post the article or where did you read this? What if I work the night shift, sounds like I'm screwed.

I know right? I work 11pm-7am, 5 days a week. I lost 80+ pounds by magic apparently...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    It makes you gain weight if you've already met your calorie goal at 7pm and continue eating. If you haven't and stay under even after eating after 7pm, you won't gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Numerio wrote: »
    Eating the RIGHT foods before bed can actually help! Slow-digesting protein like a slice or two of plain skinless chicken, or low carbs like vegetables! If you want to speed up the process, combine them!
    Help how? CICO still matters regardless of what the source is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Post the article or where did you read this? What if I work the night shift, sounds like I'm screwed.

I know right? I work 11pm-7am, 5 days a week. I lost 80+ pounds by magic apparently...

Clearly you lost weight because you're dying of toxins your liver can't clear. I'm sorry, and I'll warn your next of kin if you don't get a chance. >:)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    A life-changing thing for me was when I came here and discovered meal timing doesn't matter. I no longer force myself to eat in the morning, and I always go to bed with a full stomach. I can go all day without much to eat, I actually prefer it that way, but I I HATE going to bed even a tiny bit hungry. Having a full, satisfied belly makes me sleep like a baby. I'm always hungry at night, so I turned all my behaviors into an advantage and save most of my calories for dinner and after. It's awesome.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    This thread has given me my chuckles for today. I thank all of you :smiley:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Unless it takes 40 years for the weight loss to begin, I don't believe it. Just based on my personal experience.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited March 2016
    Mmm pretty sure I ate round the clock through college with late nights and all nighters and still managed to maintain. The only reason I do not eat before I go to sleep is because I have horrible acid reflux issues and if I eat and go to sleep it only makes it worse! Has nothing to do with losing weight though :)

Eta- I has the slows today :s
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    elivelez62 wrote: »
    It is suggested that you do not eat 3 hours before bedtime. There is no study linking eating before bedtime and gain weight on humans, only on mice.

what if I eat two hours before bedtime and I am in a calorie deficit for the day, will I gain weight?

...only if you are a mouse.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    @pie_eyes
    I'm sorry. Do you always feel bad after eating or just when you eat when you shouldn't?

I hate eating lunch and dinner

But also I don't want to lose my hair or go into starvation mode among other things

It's a double edged sword
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    @pie_eyes I'm sorry. I understand not wanting to lose your hair or be anorexic sickly. Why do you hate eating lunch and dinner? Also may i add you as a friend?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

It's an old wives tale...think about it logically...why would it make any damned difference. If you need XXXX calories to maintain and some % cut from that to lose...why would the timing of that make any difference.

Also, I can never figure out what all of these people do who have 6 and 7 PM cutoffs for eating...I'm barely getting home from the office...good thing it doesn't matter. I don't eat dinner until 8:30/9 pretty much every night.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    @pie_eyes
    I'm sorry. Do you always feel bad after eating or just when you eat when you shouldn't?

But also I don't want to lose my hair or go into starvation mode among other things

Plus, you want to get down to 120lbs... How tall are you?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    elivelez62 wrote: »
    It is suggested that you do not eat 3 hours before bedtime. There is no study linking eating before bedtime and gain weight on humans, only on mice.

what if I eat two hours before bedtime and I am in a calorie deficit for the day, will I gain weight?

Only if you're a mouse.
  • pie_eyes
    @pie_eyes

5'8
    @pie_eyes I'm sorry. I understand not wanting to lose your hair or be anorexic sickly. Why do you hate eating lunch and dinner? Also may i add you as a friend?

Sure I love new friends
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    @pie_eyes

5'8

Sure I love new friends
    I'm almost exactly the same size. I assume you have a small frame size. Otherwise, that sounds too low for most other guys.

• pie_eyes
    @pie_eyes

5'8

Sure I love new friends
    I'm almost exactly the same size. I assume you have a small frame size. Otherwise, that sounds too low for most other guys.

I'm not really sure about my frame

120 is a goal to just see what I look like

I wanna be light but not anorexic looking
  • pie_eyes
    As far as me hating eating

I feel like it's gluttony

When people and children are starving all across the world and America

I just can't deal with the guilt

As for my weight goal , it's an experiment and to be as perfect for my man as possible

Any other inquiries , PM me

I don't want to bogard this thread with my crazy life

:heart: to all
This discussion has been closed.