Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      3.7      3.7
    Mar 02      3.8T     7.5
    Mar 04      3.8     11.3
    Mar 08      4.1T    15.4

exercise.png

Was on the road a few days so I'll need to play a little catch-up!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @WhatMeRunning @Elise4270 - I have recently started to do a bit of reading about fasted running and training your body to be better at fat burning to help with endurance training. All very interesting. What I know from doing some fasted running is that you have to do it slow, at your conversational / fat burning pace (as @Stoshew71 suggests). And when you are running on a calorie deficit, you also have to run slow, or you will feel terrible: heavy legs, no energy, etc (again, I am agreeing with @Stoshew71). So, if you are running at a deficit, you need to do it slow. Don't be trying to do speed work, or you will suffer. Also, doing fasted running can be harder while you are on a calorie deficit, in my experience. I can't wait to start eating at maintenance again, to start feeling a bit more energy on runs.

@WhatMeRunning and @Elise4270 - I have been cutting calories to lose the last few kgs before my marathon. I have lost 3 kg in the last 2.5 months, and only have a teensy bit more to go (maybe 0.5 - 1kg). I use the TDEE approach, so based on my current age, weight, height, gender and hours of training per week, I get a daily calorie amount, then I take off 200 cals to create my deficit, and that is the daily total I aim for. It is only a small deficit, so as not to impact running training too much, and works out to around a 0.5 kg loss every 3 weeks. It takes out the effort of looking at MFP's calculation for the number of calories you need to eat that day and trying to stay under it. I have found that if I want to cut weight while doing running training, I need to diligently weigh and log calories accurately, or I will eat too much, not lose weight, or actually gain weight! Weight does not fall off me. I can feel that I am running at a deficit, but because I am running slowly, I can do it. And I don't think it will be too much longer before I go back to maintenance.

Heybales spreadsheet is the one I use for all my calculations: publicly available on Google Drive here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

And his description of how to use it is found here: myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have found this tool to be very useful over the last couple of years when I am trying to drop a little weight for running.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    13 slow kms today. It was hot, I'm tired.

1 Mar Rest
    2 Mar 13.05 km
    3 Mar 7.16 km
    4 Mar 7.42 km
    5 Mar 23.39 km
    6 Mar Rest
    7 Mar 7.42 km
    8 Mar 7.44 km
    9 Mar 13.29 km

Total: 79.17 km / 200 km

Races:
    5 June Rocky River Run 21km
    3 July Gold Coast Marathon

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Planning a 3 mile run tomorrow, to get going again. Rested the knee the whole day today, and warmed up and stretched a bunch. knee feels great now. Really wanting to register for the Sep. Half marathon, but kind of worried that it's far enough out that injuries could ruin the plan
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    michable wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 @WhatMeRunning @Elise4270 - I have recently started to do a bit of reading about fasted running and training your body to be better at fat burning to help with endurance training. All very interesting. What I know from doing some fasted running is that you have to do it slow, at your conversational / fat burning pace (as @Stoshew71 suggests). And when you are running on a calorie deficit, you also have to run slow, or you will feel terrible: heavy legs, no energy, etc (again, I am agreeing with @Stoshew71). So, if you are running at a deficit, you need to do it slow. Don't be trying to do speed work, or you will suffer. Also, doing fasted running can be harder while you are on a calorie deficit, in my experience. I can't wait to start eating at maintenance again, to start feeling a bit more energy on runs.

@WhatMeRunning and @Elise4270 - I have been cutting calories to lose the last few kgs before my marathon. I have lost 3 kg in the last 2.5 months, and only have a teensy bit more to go (maybe 0.5 - 1kg). I use the TDEE approach, so based on my current age, weight, height, gender and hours of training per week, I get a daily calorie amount, then I take off 200 cals to create my deficit, and that is the daily total I aim for. It is only a small deficit, so as not to impact running training too much, and works out to around a 0.5 kg loss every 3 weeks. It takes out the effort of looking at MFP's calculation for the number of calories you need to eat that day and trying to stay under it. I have found that if I want to cut weight while doing running training, I need to diligently weigh and log calories accurately, or I will eat too much, not lose weight, or actually gain weight! Weight does not fall off me. I can feel that I am running at a deficit, but because I am running slowly, I can do it. And I don't think it will be too much longer before I go back to maintenance.

Heybales spreadsheet is the one I use for all my calculations: publicly available on Google Drive here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

And his description of how to use it is found here: myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have found this tool to be very useful over the last couple of years when I am trying to drop a little weight for running.

Wow! I'm in! Thanks again for sharing all of your usefull information!
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater, @MNLittleFinn, @whatang, @rcsmom2002, @shanaber, @windchild, @skippygirlsmom
    Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement! For those who asked - as best as I can tell, it's not motivation although I think my struggles are mental. I just get to a spot where I think I MUST walk a bit. Sometimes just a few yards is enough, sometimes it's a little farther.

I know it's all in my head since I just finished running the whole distance I planned tonight. I seem to be able to do that just fine whenever I run on the road where I live, even though it's a little hilly. I just can't manage to make the whole distance/time when I run on the track where it's nice and flat. Maybe I'm just distracted by the wildlife or the wildflowers :)

3/1 - 2 mile run
    3/2 - 3 mile walk
    3/3 - 2.25 mile run
    3/6 - 2 mile run
    3/7 - 3 mile brisk walk
    3/8 - 2 mile run, 1 mile walk

exercise.png

Goal/Planned Races:
    12/3/16 SA Rock N Roll - 5K/10K

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Mar: 0.00 miles but 6.14 miles (walk)
    02-Mar: 0.00 miles but 5.73 miles (walk)
    03-Mar: 2.10 miles plus 2.50 miles (walk)
    04-Mar: 0.00 miles but 5.96 miles (walk)
    05-Mar: 3.16 miles
    06-Mar: <Life Day> but 6.87 miles
    07-Mar: 3.87 miles
    08-Mar: 4.93 miles
    09-Mar:
    10-Mar:
    11-Mar:
    12-Mar:
    13-Mar: <Life Day>
    14-Mar:
    15-Mar:
    16-Mar:
    17-Mar:
    18-Mar:
    19-Mar:
    20-Mar: <Life Day>
    21-Mar:
    22-Mar:
    23-Mar:
    24-Mar:
    25-Mar:
    26-Mar:
    27-Mar: <Life Day>
    28-Mar:
    29-Mar:
    30-Mar:
    31-Mar:

exercise.png

Made the hotel reservation for the Peachtree today. That prompted some digging: if they accepted my HM as USATF-certified, I should be placed in corral J. That would put my start time as 8:09 (based on last year's numbers). If I'm up to speed, that should put me finishing 9:30 AM. Our hotel is about 3 blocks from the finish line. So, it should be a good time!

Last couple of runs are going well - not fast, but I'm more interested in regaining stamina and getting acclimated to the (increasing) heat, so Peachtree's not a problem (4th of July, in downtown Atlanta, after the city's soaked up solar energy since...now!).

Upcoming Races:
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    02-Apr: Run 2 End Alzheimer's 10.5K, Bonaire, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 – 15.05 easy
    3/4 – scheduled rest day
    3/5 – 17.01 2 easy, 13 MP, 2 easy
    Weekly total 62.39 vs. target 62

3/6 – 7.70 easy
    3/7 – 8.17 easy + 4 strides
    3/8 – 11.67 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/9 –
    3/10 –
    3/11 –
    3/12 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 62

March total to date – 74.93

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – Speed work on the indoor track: 2 miles warm up, 6 x 1 mile at T pace with 1 minute recovery, 4 x 100 m strides with 100 m jog between, 2 miles at E pace. I think Garmin overestimated the total mileage by about a half mile, but I've gone with what Garmin spits out. It seems to underestimate distance at easy and marathon paces, and overestimate at faster paces when I'm indoors with no GPS signal.

Been following the weight loss discussion with some interest. Don't really have time to write coherent comments on the subject.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm on Garmin, same screen name as here

Thanks I sent you a request thing - On there I'm Lindyfromindy
  • LJgfg
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @LJgfg I have a Garmin Connect account but don't really "socialize" on it. I do on strava though. So if you have GC, you can open a strava account and have the GC account automatically synch to strava. Then you can join the new "in thing" that we all in this thread are now doing. We even have a strava group for this thread.

Oh joy. LOL! Another new account thing? I'll look into it. I like the Garmin Connect dashboard - just want a couple people I can cheer on / challenge with. Got six kids so I'm already having to follow fb, twitter, snapchat, insta-whatever, pintrest, so forth just to keep up with them and their things. (typed in a friendly yet resigned tone indicating exhaustion at the plethora of social connection sites and missing the days when an AOL board and email was as complicated as it got *grin*)
  • LJgfg
    Options
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.

EDIT: Also, the more weight you are carrying, the more of an impact you make with each step (ground impact forces). So every time your foot hits the ground, your higher weight you are carrying stresses your bones, ligaments, and tendons due to these ground impact forces. So the more chance to injury you have especially as you increase mileage.

I try not to think about this one...hopefully I can keep everything healthy long enough to lose the weight without breaking something :p

@GBrady43068 - yeah I'm with you there! Had to give up martial arts due to the torque on the knees. So far doing okay with running / walking. My goal is to finish my first half in October - gotta stay uninjured to get there though. That's my motivation for weight-loss - though I'm not very good at it (yet) though.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race
    3/7 6.2 miles - 43.15
    3/8 8 miles - 51.15
    3/9 4.1 miles - 55.25 << daily double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    LJgfg wrote: »
    @LJgfg I have a Garmin Connect account but don't really "socialize" on it. I do on strava though. So if you have GC, you can open a strava account and have the GC account automatically synch to strava. Then you can join the new "in thing" that we all in this thread are now doing. We even have a strava group for this thread.

Oh joy. LOL! Another new account thing? I'll look into it. I like the Garmin Connect dashboard - just want a couple people I can cheer on / challenge with. Got six kids so I'm already having to follow fb, twitter, snapchat, insta-whatever, pintrest, so forth just to keep up with them and their things. (typed in a friendly yet resigned tone indicating exhaustion at the plethora of social connection sites and missing the days when an AOL board and email was as complicated as it got *grin*)

Give strava a check. You may like their set-up better. Once you set things up correctly, you don't even have to do anything on Garmin anymore. You just check everything on strava. More people socialize on strava than they do on GC even though they have accounts on both.

Most of the regulars in this room are now all here:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Ran my first 11 mile distance last Saturday!
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Today went well, further then I planned. Hope you all have a great day!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Virginia! I'm just checking in to staying plugged into the group. I have a couple more rest days to go ... Have a happy day!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Interval run this morning. I think I pushed the high intensity interval (HII) too much and needed to walk a little bit after the last 4 HIIs but it was a nice workout in any case.

A co-worker told me that our insurance covers a nutritionist but I tend to go overboard on food logging, perfectionism, and I don't want to stress myself out on eating according to a plan. Just mentioning it because maybe those of you who want to see a nutritionist might have insurance that also cover nutritionist. Of course with deductibles so high and co-pays not sure what good insurance really does anymore unless you have a major issue. But, let's don't go there. :wink:

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles

exercise.png

No races planned but spending lots of time studying future HMs and fantasizing about which HM I am going to do!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga tonight, maybe sneak in a run, either that or tomorrow morning

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 14-Great Pi Run
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am)

Such a great run. Temps in the mid-40s, basically no wind, bright sunshine. Gonna be a high of almost 80 today when I do my afternoon/evening run. Glad that one will be nice and short! Usually do my midweek long run fasted, but I ate a chocolate honey stinger waffle this morning because I was starving, and I think it boosted my energy quite a bit. Ended up pacing closer to 8:20 rather than my usual 8:40-8:50 pace. Every time I hit an 8:10s or 8:20s mile, I was genuinely surprised. And I didn't spend the whole run muttering, "I'm hungry. I'm sooooo hungry. I want food!" like I usually do ;)

Wish I'd brought my phone though. There were some beautiful stretches of backroads lit up all golden from the morning sunlight. It was really beautiful. I wish I could share the sights with y'all!

exercise.png
    ^^This puts me over the 500 mile mark for 2016 already. Hooray!

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)