March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lisad322
    lisad322 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this challenge but want to be able to track my miles already done this month. Can I still do that?
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    3/1 Easy 2 miles
    3/3 1 mile on Treadmill.
    3/4 2 miles on Treadmill
    3/7 1.5 miles on treadmill
    3/9 2.0 Hilly miles in the park.

16.5 to go.

Got to run my favorite park today. It was hilly so my hip was complaining the whole time. Did 2.7 total but didn't count my warm up and cool down. Going out to buy my own foam roller now since it has been helping.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lisad322 wrote: »
    I would like to join this challenge but want to be able to track my miles already done this month. Can I still do that?
    yup. Challenge is for the month, so start your mileage at March, 1. Welcome aboard
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Okay, sorry for posting a third time, I'm trying to see if I'm doing this right for adding a ticker :smile:

exercise.png
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So sorry to hear that @karllundy

@Stoshew71 thanks for that info re weight loss and deficits. When I first started running I ran to lose weight. Now I lose weight to run.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @karllundy Sorry to hear about your MIL :'(
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    6c(43f) and omg it was t-shirt running weather. Even in only the t-shirt I was still warm, I was still wearing my winter compression tights tho. I could start wearing capris but I really like the compression on my shins. Maybe they have a stay cool compression legging..and a stay cool long sleeve tech shirt...

3/1 - 3.1
    3/2 - 3.1
    3/3 - x-train stationary bike
    3/4 - 3.1 slooow miles with my average HR
    3/5 - bought new shoes!
    3/6 - 4 miles
    3/7 - x-train stationary bike
    3/8 - 3.1
    3/9 - 3.1

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    planning a 3 miler today, knee feels great, did a bunch of stretching/icing/elevating/resting and then worked it a little with squats and lunges last night with no issues.

@kristinegift Every time I read about your runs, I'm a bit jealous. Wishing I could go that long, that often. I'll just keep plugging away until I can I guess

@MNLittleFinn Glad your knee is feeling good! And the distance comes with time. A year ago, I could never imagine running this many miles in a week. Keep plugging away and you'll get there :)

This. A year ago, I could barely imagine running 60 miles in a week, and I wasn't anywhere close to that. It turns out that running 60 miles a week is different than I imagined a year ago.

The keys to getting here, for me: Build slowly. Don't increase intense work at the same time you increase mileage. Don't be ashamed to hold the mileage steady for 3 weeks or 6 weeks if the body needs time to adapt. Honor the rest days. Hold firm to the discipline of running easy days easy, and most days will be easy when building mileage.

The long runs of 20 or 22 miles draw admiration. Running the Yasso 800s impresses people. But what makes it all hang together is recovery, which means you don't do the impressive stuff all the time or even most of the time. But if you do it right, one day you realize that 6 miles or 8 miles is now an easy run, when you used to consider 3 or 4 miles an easy run. This sneaks up on you.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200 posts behind on this thread but wanted to pop in with a mileage update. I hate missing what's going on but I prefer to read this thread on the computer so I can properly reply. Not going on the computer all weekend gets me far behind.

3/05 - 12.1 mile long run with Kody. Beautiful day, first time in shorts this year. Knee felt fantastic. Oddity of the day...I saw three fresh banana peels on the sidewalk or boulevard at various points along the route. WTH??

3/06 - 10.0 mile recovery run, solo. Scheduled for 6, I felt so good I just couldn't stop. I also had a hard time keeping my pace down but managed to slow down toward the end of the run. On Monday my knee let me know I should have stuck to the plan, but it wasn't too bad.

3/07 - Rest

3/08 - 5.9 mile Winter Warrior tempo run with Kody. Yes, Kody is now an official member of the Winter Warrior group. I worked from home so I decided to bring him along since the store is dog-friendly. I took him on a half mile walk prior to get him to crap before the run. He did, but he also stopped 3 or 4 times during the run. I've found on new routes he likes to stop a lot more often than on our usual routes.

3/9 - 4.0 mile slow and easy morning run. Easing into a 5 day/week running schedule and am going to try to do one or two of those runs before work. I only hit the snooze once. It sucked (even more than usual) for first mile, felt great at the end. Enjoyed an extra large breakfast when I got back.

My miles are on pace for the month.

iplc11d287ma.jpeg
    g9.jpeg 11.5K
  • lisad322
    lisad322 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    lisad322 wrote: »

Also if you opt to use TickerFactory to add a ticker, you can just enter what you've already run in the "Your current cumulative value" box and your final goal amount in the "Your target" space when you create the ticker and it will show up with the miles already put in "magically" in place. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    This. A year ago, I could barely imagine running 60 miles in a week, and I wasn't anywhere close to that. It turns out that running 60 miles a week is different than I imagined a year ago.

The keys to getting here, for me: Build slowly. Don't increase intense work at the same time you increase mileage. Don't be ashamed to hold the mileage steady for 3 weeks or 6 weeks if the body needs time to adapt. Honor the rest days. Hold firm to the discipline of running easy days easy, and most days will be easy when building mileage.

The long runs of 20 or 22 miles draw admiration. Running the Yasso 800s impresses people. But what makes it all hang together is recovery, which means you don't do the impressive stuff all the time or even most of the time. But if you do it right, one day you realize that 6 miles or 8 miles is now an easy run, when you used to consider 3 or 4 miles an easy run. This sneaks up on you.

@MobyCarp Thanks for that advice. I'm hoping to be ready for a half Marathon in September. I have a running plan set up on Runkeeper, but it doesn't start until June, so the plan is to stay about where I'm at, doing 3-4 Miles 2-3 times a week, and a longer 5-6 mile once a week, so when the plan starts up, I'll be in the shape that the first runs are easy.....Hopefully
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.

EDIT: Also, the more weight you are carrying, the more of an impact you make with each step (ground impact forces). So every time your foot hits the ground, your higher weight you are carrying stresses your bones, ligaments, and tendons due to these ground impact forces. So the more chance to injury you have especially as you increase mileage.

@Stoshew71: So if you ARE carrying extra (or a lot extra poundage), is there a specific part of the running chain that's most susceptible to injury I should focus on looking for strength exercises for because I am GOING to be ratcheting up mileage more and more as I train for the HM in August..in fact, my planned next long run is calling for a 10 miler.

I'm not Stan, but I know the answer to that one: Whatever is weakest in your running chain is most susceptible to injury. That will vary from one person to another. It could be knees, it could be hamstrings, it could be quads, it could be calves, it could be the IT band, it could be core strength, and it's probably not all of that in the same runner. In my case, the weakest link is feet and ankles; I've spent a lot of time learning to deal with that. The amount of time I've spent to correct hamstring and other issues is minor compared to what I've needed to do for my feet. But that doesn't matter to you if your weak area is not the same as my weak area.

Unfortunately, you tend to find out what is weakest when you notice what hurts the most consistently. If you're lucky, it's only a training soreness; if you're less lucky, you run yourself into injury figuring this out. Been there, done that, would like to retire that tee shirt.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    03/01: PLAN:4 miles easy@12:15-12:30. Windy.
    03/02: PLAN:REST DAY..Walked at work, night walk didn’t happen
    03/03: PLAN:4 miles plus strides 2.65 miles@10:50 morning, no night run due to snowy/slick
    03/04: PLAN: Rest Day
    03/05: PLAN: 4 easy miles. Went 4.67 miles total (4 miles easy plus 4 20 second strides.) 44 degrees, mist-light rain.
    03/06: PLAN: 6 easy miles. About 45 degrees, slight wind. 6.03 miles. Did two walk intervals of ¼ mile each, thought it was pretty good for being on “dead” legs.
    03/07: PLAN: REST DAY (and I’m-a take it!)
    03/08: PLAN: 4 miles plus strides. Didn’t get it in after stuffing face full of pizza…just felt too lethargic. The pizza was delicious and I’m not sorry I ate it but I should have forced myself to do at least a mile or two. Meh.
    03/09: PLAN: REST DAY Plan on doing yesterday’s planned run tonight instead

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @GBrady43068 - I kept running into IT band issues mostly, some hamstring and even a mild achilles flare up that luckily just took a few days rest to go away. Far and away the most important thing ANY runner can do (especially heavy ones) is strength building exercises for running. Work all aspects of core, glutes, every direction you can move your legs, and do it regularly. I am pretty sure I would be injured if I had not put a large focus on strength training ahead of my training mileage buildups the last two years. Before doing all that I could only go about 8-10 miles regularly before beginning to feel IT band issues. Sometimes I begin feeling things again and I go back to strength exercises to make them go away. Hopefully it is that simple for all, because it has worked for me so far.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    More base building miles today. Another 5 miles just so I can sound like a broken record. Everything is starting to bloom here. It's a great thing to see!

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles

47/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    So sorry you and your family are going through this.
    karllundy wrote: »
    Wow! 26 pages?!? No way I am going to be able to catch up with that. Will try in the next day or two.

My MIL passed away last Thursday. Between going to see her just before, helping with arrangements and then the visitation / funeral, no time to keep up and very few opportunities to run.

3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles

exercise.png

• Becky_44
    Options
    Ha! Love the turtle!
    I'm right there with you! :)Sometimes the challenge for me is not the running, but continuing as a slow runner. Lol!
    ccnagain wrote: »
    Okay, sorry for posting a third time, I'm trying to see if I'm doing this right for adding a ticker :smile:

exercise.png

• Becky_44
    Options
    I agree! I started doing strengthening workouts 3 weeks ago. Very light and slowly increasing. Because i have a lot of issues doing them as well. The difference has been huge for my running and my normal pain I have even when I'm not. I noticed a difference after my first SW.
    @GBrady43068 - I kept running into IT band issues mostly, some hamstring and even a mild achilles flare up that luckily just took a few days rest to go away. Far and away the most important thing ANY runner can do (especially heavy ones) is strength building exercises for running. Work all aspects of core, glutes, every direction you can move your legs, and do it regularly. I am pretty sure I would be injured if I had not put a large focus on strength training ahead of my training mileage buildups the last two years. Before doing all that I could only go about 8-10 miles regularly before beginning to feel IT band issues. Sometimes I begin feeling things again and I go back to strength exercises to make them go away. Hopefully it is that simple for all, because it has worked for me so far.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    planning a 3 miler today, knee feels great, did a bunch of stretching/icing/elevating/resting and then worked it a little with squats and lunges last night with no issues.

@kristinegift Every time I read about your runs, I'm a bit jealous. Wishing I could go that long, that often. I'll just keep plugging away until I can I guess

@MNLittleFinn Glad your knee is feeling good! And the distance comes with time. A year ago, I could never imagine running this many miles in a week. Keep plugging away and you'll get there :)

What @MobyCarp bolded in his own post is the key to building mileage for certain. I run hard maybe 12 miles out of 60: a 7-8 mile speed work day and then the last 4-5 miles of a long run. The rest is done easy peasy at a fairly conversational pace. Once I stopped trying to hit paces and make new PRs every time I went out, my injuries went away (and have stayed away) and running longer and more miles is much easier.