So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sorry I just thought you were the expert.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Sorry I just thought you were the expert.

I don't think anyone here is an expert, but we would be going back and forth for multiple pages about what needs to change. You were gaining and that indicates that you have been eating too many calories. That's pretty much what it's going to come down to. I could give you fancy methods of cycling calories, cycling carbs, dropping cardio, fasted cardio, intermittent fasting, HIIT, or a variety of other things that possibly give athletes a 1% edge. If you aren't losing and your blood work is fine you need to reconsider calorie intake. The online calculators have limitations, so don't take those numbers as gospel. I know when I'm not losing it's because I'm "tasting" everything I come across and not counting it.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting already. I take the best concepts from 8 hour diet, 5:2, Become a Fat Burning Machine. I don't eat until 12:00 noon and I do my workout during fast. I don't taste things and not log. Pre weigh my food before I cook. I don't do cardio. Just starting to walk and swim. Mostly to move instead of sitting around. I will research calorie and carb cycling. Maybe that will help. Thanks anyhow! I love how you help people.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I do intermittent fasting already. I take the best concepts from 8 hour diet, 5:2, Become a Fat Burning Machine. I don't eat until 12:00 noon and I do my workout during fast. I don't taste things and not log. Pre weigh my food before I cook. I don't do cardio. Just starting to walk and swim. Mostly to move instead of sitting around. I will research calorie and carb cycling. Maybe that will help. Thanks anyhow! I love how you help people.

I think it's time for you to go back to the basics. Sometimes you figure out what you're missing that way. No need to make it complicated. All those methods provide a very tiny edge to people already at the peak of dieting and training.
  • N0easyway0ut
    N0easyway0ut Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the posts here may have answered my question... basically, getting a flat stomach is the hardest thing I've tried doing and never succeeded!
    i'm 34, I do the insanity programme 3 times a week and weight train 3-4 times per week. having 1-2 days off.
    when I was young, I had a kidney operation which left me with a scar around my hip/waist area. this kind of makes me have a small bulge around my lower mid section. I believe this could be a reason why its harder for me to get a flat stomach and maybe I need to work harder to getting a low bodyfat percentage to see a relatively flat(ish) stomach. anyone in the same boat as me? anyone who can maybe provide me with some tips?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Nicks10x wrote: »
    Reading some of the posts here may have answered my question... basically, getting a flat stomach is the hardest thing I've tried doing and never succeeded!
    i'm 34, I do the insanity programme 3 times a week and weight train 3-4 times per week. having 1-2 days off.
    when I was young, I had a kidney operation which left me with a scar around my hip/waist area. this kind of makes me have a small bulge around my lower mid section. I believe this could be a reason why its harder for me to get a flat stomach and maybe I need to work harder to getting a low bodyfat percentage to see a relatively flat(ish) stomach. anyone in the same boat as me? anyone who can maybe provide me with some tips?

Everyone has to have a low body fat percentage to have a flat stomach, it has nothing to do with the kidney operation scar. The main difference you might see is that your skin doesn't lay flat once you lose the fat and that's a matter of scar tissue having bonded to the muscle. Deep tissue massage can help you break some of that up and improve the appearance. You're still going to have to diet like everyone else to lose the fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp, my apologies if you've already answered this. I've read this thread in the past and try to skim new posts regularly but I likely have missed something.

Question: My assumption is that if a person is prone to gaining first/losing last in the stomach area, that's pretty much a constant. In other words, if I get down to the point where my stomach fat is at a healthy level but then gained again, the fat would tend to accumulate there first again and not suddenly start going to my thighs first. In that case, should somebody with stretched/loose skin wait longer before trying to add mass, in order to give the skin time to shrink up so the fat isn't spread over a larger surface area? My fear is getting to a decent fat level on my stomach and then trying to add mass and ending up with the same skin roll I started with.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    @usmcmp, my apologies if you've already answered this. I've read this thread in the past and try to skim new posts regularly but I likely have missed something.

Question: My assumption is that if a person is prone to gaining first/losing last in the stomach area, that's pretty much a constant. In other words, if I get down to the point where my stomach fat is at a healthy level but then gained again, the fat would tend to accumulate there first again and not suddenly start going to my thighs first. In that case, should somebody with stretched/loose skin wait longer before trying to add mass, in order to give the skin time to shrink up so the fat isn't spread over a larger surface area? My fear is getting to a decent fat level on my stomach and then trying to add mass and ending up with the same skin roll I started with.

@jemhh If you tend to hold most of your weight in the stomach area you would probably start refilling that area if you did a bulk. It's why recomposition is suggested a lot on here rather than a bulk. Sometimes age and dieting history will impact where we store fat. In 2013 my legs were last to lean out, but my current cut is showing almost all the progress in my legs. I would say the only positive to coming directly out of a cut and into a bulk is that hormones tend to be primed for growth. I do think overall that recomposition is the best choice for most people who do not have bodybuilding/figure/bikini/physique competition related goals.
  • N0easyway0ut
    N0easyway0ut Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Nicks10x wrote: »

Everyone has to have a low body fat percentage to have a flat stomach, it has nothing to do with the kidney operation scar. The main difference you might see is that your skin doesn't lay flat once you lose the fat and that's a matter of scar tissue having bonded to the muscle. Deep tissue massage can help you break some of that up and improve the appearance. You're still going to have to diet like everyone else to lose the fat.

That's interesting to hear! Maybe I was making excuses for myself. As you said earlier none of us are experts but your advice has been taken on board and I will strive to get to the point of happiness which is flat and toned. Thanks USMCMP
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

@jemhh If you tend to hold most of your weight in the stomach area you would probably start refilling that area if you did a bulk. It's why recomposition is suggested a lot on here rather than a bulk. Sometimes age and dieting history will impact where we store fat. In 2013 my legs were last to lean out, but my current cut is showing almost all the progress in my legs. I would say the only positive to coming directly out of a cut and into a bulk is that hormones tend to be primed for growth. I do think overall that recomposition is the best choice for most people who do not have bodybuilding/figure/bikini/physique competition related goals.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the thorough and fast reply!
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Sailor_Moon86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can create a good deficit with cardio though.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    You can create a good deficit with cardio though.

Most people don't burn a significant amount of calories through cardio. Also, for many the stress of doing cardio physically and psychologically isn't worth the small calorie burn. There's also the mentality of "earning your food" with creating a deficit through cardio, which often results in people overestimating their cardio burn and blowing the deficit with reward eating. It's better to focus on intake rather than exercise to create the deficit. There are reasons to do cardio, but few people should be using cardio to actually create the deficit.
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    ]

Most people don't burn a significant amount of calories through cardio. Also, for many the stress of doing cardio physically and psychologically isn't worth the small calorie burn. There's also the mentality of "earning your food" with creating a deficit through cardio, which often results in people overestimating their cardio burn and blowing the deficit with reward eating. It's better to focus on intake rather than exercise to create the deficit. There are reasons to do cardio, but few people should be using cardio to actually create the deficit.

Great statement
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Remember. 4 oz equals 1/2 cup. Maybe that helps. I'm a measured not a weigher.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    mwinslow69 wrote: »

@mwinslow69 No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You're mixing up fluid ounces and ounces. One is a volume measurement and one is a weight measurement. 4 fluid ounces = 1/2 cup by volume. But when weighing various foods, 4 ounces will fit into different cup sizes depending on the food.
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    D
    Orphia wrote: »

@mwinslow69 No.

@mwinslow69 No.

@mwinslow69 No.

You're mixing up fluid ounces and ounces. One is a volume measurement and one is a weight measurement. 4 fluid ounces = 1/2 cup by volume. But when weighing various foods, 4 ounces will fit into different cup sizes depending on the food.

Good to know!!!! Thanks
  • yweight1969
    yweight1969 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Along with exercise you should try The PHE Slimming Belt. It gives you curves and a slimmer waist. Consistent use and being active will change the shape of your body. its great! I have the black one but they also have ones for workout.

No.

No, no, no they don't
  • angelgonemad88
    angelgonemad88 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank's for the breakdown, here's my thoughts for each of your sections. I am trying to lose my mummy tummy and love handles but I can feel my motivation dwindling as it feels as if I am doing all this work for nothing. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying my workouts but I always feel hungry which isn't good as I end up snacking which of course doesn't help towards trying to lose the weight. Hopefully you may have some words of wisdom :)

1 - that's a foreign language right there to me that TDEE-20% stuff. I am already trying to reduce my calorie intake to the recommended 1,300 calories for losing weight but I am struggling and end up snacking as I always feel hungry.

2 - Personally, I am not into weight lifting and don't want to be a body builder and don't enjoy those types of exercises. I just want to lose the extra pounds from my tummy/hip area. Plus I am not a fan of just using gym equipment, I prefer to be a in a class with an instructor motivating me, otherwise I get lazy. :(

3 - I love chicken so no problem with protein there but trying to get different proteins too, from fish as well. I love my carbs but trying to cut them back as I could live on them.

5 - I am trying, but want to know, roughly how long does it take to show some sign of improvement?! I know it takes time, but it's seriously off putting when you are putting in all the work for no results. :(
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Thank's for the breakdown, here's my thoughts for each of your sections. I am trying to lose my mummy tummy and love handles but I can feel my motivation dwindling as it feels as if I am doing all this work for nothing. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying my workouts but I always feel hungry which isn't good as I end up snacking which of course doesn't help towards trying to lose the weight. Hopefully you may have some words of wisdom :)

1 - that's a foreign language right there to me that TDEE-20% stuff. I am already trying to reduce my calorie intake to the recommended 1,300 calories for losing weight but I am struggling and end up snacking as I always feel hungry.

2 - Personally, I am not into weight lifting and don't want to be a body builder and don't enjoy those types of exercises. I just want to lose the extra pounds from my tummy/hip area. Plus I am not a fan of just using gym equipment, I prefer to be a in a class with an instructor motivating me, otherwise I get lazy. :(

3 - I love chicken so no problem with protein there but trying to get different proteins too, from fish as well. I love my carbs but trying to cut them back as I could live on them.

5 - I am trying, but want to know, roughly how long does it take to show some sign of improvement?! I know it takes time, but it's seriously off putting when you are putting in all the work for no results. :(

@angelgonemad88

1. Change your goal to lose 1 pound per week. You should get more calories and you'll likely end up where my method puts you for intake.
    2. You have to find a way to challenge your muscles during weight loss or you'll lose lean mass. Meaning out of every 10 pounds you lose you'll only lose 6-7 pounds of fat. That means you have to lose more weight in the long run. Some form of resistance training is going to help your bones as you age as well. It doesn't matter if you only do body weight or resistance bands, but you seriously need to consider doing something. Take a look through the maintaining section for skinny fat stories.
    5. Absolutely no way of knowing how long it will take for you to see results. It really depends on how well you stick to everything and where you are starting out.