March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training
    3/3....3.5 @ 11:25 on the TM
    3/5....4.5 @ 10:33 on the TM ( .5 walking and 4 @ 10:00, which I think is my farthest distance at that speed)
    3/8....4.5 @ 11:53 on the park trail
    3/9...2.5 @ 15:00ish walking the world's fattest, most slothful dog :)
    3/10...4.25 @ 11:37 on the rail trail near my house. It was so nice to be outside--and warm!--at 6 am!
    3/11...3.00 @ 10:39 on the rail trail.

I'm happy with today's pace, but disappointed in my performance. My legs were fine, but my lungs were burning. I can't say I haven't put in the long, slow miles...so why is it still so hard to run fast? I have got to lose these last 20 lbs! Also, maybe the ladies will understand...for good support, the band of my sports bra has to be snug--but I feel like I can't expand my ribcage all the way to breathe properly. It's frustrating.

exercise.png

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ccnagain wrote: »
    Only 1.16mi today but it is better then the 0 that I thought of doing
    That's the ticket! Proud of you - :smiley:
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Mar: 0.00 miles but 6.14 miles (walk)
    02-Mar: 0.00 miles but 5.73 miles (walk)
    03-Mar: 2.10 miles plus 2.50 miles (walk)
    04-Mar: 0.00 miles but 5.96 miles (walk)
    05-Mar: 3.16 miles
    06-Mar: <Life Day> but 6.87 miles
    07-Mar: 3.87 miles
    08-Mar: 4.93 miles
    09-Mar: 4.30 miles
    10-Mar: 3.28 miles plus 2.35 miles (walk)
    11-Mar: 4.66 miles
    12-Mar:
    13-Mar: <Life Day>
    14-Mar:
    15-Mar:
    16-Mar:
    17-Mar:
    18-Mar:
    19-Mar:
    20-Mar: <Life Day>
    21-Mar:
    22-Mar:
    23-Mar:
    24-Mar:
    25-Mar:
    26-Mar:
    27-Mar: <Life Day>
    28-Mar:
    29-Mar:
    30-Mar:
    31-Mar:

exercise.png

Thinking of doing the Cherry Blossom (a week from tomorrow) as a 5K instead of the 10K. I'm not bouncing back, energy-wise, from the surgery like last year - I'd rather feel confident of finishing well than struggling to complete (tho I know I'd finish - no question there).

Any thoughts from my fellow addicts?

Upcoming Races:
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    02-Apr: Run 2 End Alzheimer's 10.5K, Bonaire, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    11/3: 3.2 Miles

exercise.png

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Love the ticker - is the finger pointing to where you are in the snake? LOL
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays - I don't know what kind of sports bra you use, but I really like the ones that have individual formed cups, rather than just being the all-one-piece/seamless/tight all over kind. I have some like this that I love: Click me!

I feel like the individual support allows you to go a tad looser on the band. Plus, the fabric on those is super comfy... If you do decide to try that one, I'd recommend going up a band size if you're not on the smaller end of your size normally. I would normally wear a 34 band on the tightest setting, but these are pretty snug even on the loosest notch.
  • ceciliaslater
    Options
    Another 4 miles down. It took me a good 2.5 miles to get into my running groove. Right leg felt a little tight (less so than on Wednesday, and I didn't have to walk or stop to stretch this time around). Of course, as I neared the end of my run, everything finally limbered up and felt normal again.

Went straight for the foam roller as soon as I got back, focusing on quads and right calf area. I need to get better about remembering to actually use the stupid foam roller. I bought one (and the gym provides them) for a reason!

35.8 of 100 miles completed for the month.

Upcoming races:

3/20 - A2A Marathon (Ardmore, OK)
    5/14 - Fleet Feet Half Marathon - Four Seasons Challenge #1 (Tulsa, OK)
    7/4 - Firecracker 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #2 (Tulsa, OK)
    9/17 - The Q Doubler - Quarter Marathon + 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #3 (Tulsa, OK)
    11/5 - Jenks Half Marathon (Jenks, OK)
    12/17 - Rudolph Run 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #4 (Tulsa, OK)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    RE: Foam Rolling and stretching

Foam rolling is very good. I need to do it some more. I used to do it on a regular basis and it always relaxed and stretched the muscles. I complimented it with the yoga for runners that I used to do all the time too.

As far as stretching before and after a run. Dynamic stretching before a run and static stretching after a run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBp7ZJtyVIA

At work, I do have a tennis ball and have been known to sit on it and roll it around. I used to have my own private cube and could get away with this, and now they moved me over into a cube that I share with a partner. So I have to wait till he leaves. hahaha
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays - I don't know what kind of sports bra you use, but I really like the ones that have individual formed cups, rather than just being the all-one-piece/seamless/tight all over kind. I have some like this that I love: Click me!

I feel like the individual support allows you to go a tad looser on the band. Plus, the fabric on those is super comfy... If you do decide to try that one, I'd recommend going up a band size if you're not on the smaller end of your size normally. I would normally wear a 34 band on the tightest setting, but these are pretty snug even on the loosest notch.

I do own one of those--I'm not sure if I've thought about it being better than the others I own since I normally wear it for yoga/strength training days, which are also lower mileage days. I normally wear the other Champion high-support ones, but you're right, they are sort of that "tube" shape. So are my Moving Comfort ones. I may need to trade the racerback (which I love) for a somewhat more generous band. I'm nervous about going looser, though, since the looser the bra the worse the chafing!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Today is supposed to be a "rest" day (walked 2 miles this morning) before my long run of the week tomorrow. Problem is, I'm really itching to run like a mile and a half at lunch. What ya'all think, that an OK idea?

@MNLittleFinn To rest or not to rest depends on your weekly accumulation.
    It's all about building your weekly mileage slowly and making sure you have time to recovery for your next main workout.

So as a beginner, you are going to want to spread your runs out. Say for example Mon run 3 miles, Wed run 3 miles, Fri or Sat run 3 miles. And you repeat this week after week until you feel comfident that each time you run, you are fully recovered from your previous run. If you are confident, then you can add say a mile to one of those runs and see how you feel by the end of the week. If you are confident that you got something out of it and not over doing it, then add a mile to another run. So something like this:

M 3, W 3, Sat 3
    M 4, W 3, Sat 3
    M 4, W 3, Sat 4
    M 4, W 4, Sat 4

You follow the same idea when you want to add a new day to the week.

M 5, W 5, Sat 9
    M 5, W 5, Fri 1, Sat 9
    M 5, W 5, Fri 2, Sat 9

So the 2 questions you have to ask is, by adding a mile and a half today, am I
    1) Going to effect my long run tomorrow?
    2) Going to add weekly mileage too fast?

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 Decided not to go for it. Already ran, Sun, Mon, Wed this week, only because I ran Sun. Normal plan is starting to look like this:

M 3, T 3, Th,3, S,4

I really didn't need the run today, it's more that it got up to 50 and is perfectly sunny out. Settled on a quick walk instead.

Tomorrow will be an out of the ordinary run for me, I'm only going the distance I will be, to help me gauge where I am right now, as far as going in the 10K+ distances, then it's back to the slow build up. Does that make sense? Still trying to get a handle on what I can do without going overboard.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 Decided not to go for it. Already ran, Sun, Mon, Wed this week, only because I ran Sun. Normal plan is starting to look like this:

M 3, T 3, Th,3, S,4

I really didn't need the run today, it's more that it got up to 50 and is perfectly sunny out. Settled on a quick walk instead.

Tomorrow will be an out of the ordinary run for me, I'm only going the distance I will be, to help me gauge where I am right now, as far as going in the 10K+ distances, then it's back to the slow build up. Does that make sense? Still trying to get a handle on what I can do without going overboard.

The bolded part did not make sense to me. I didn't quite catch exactly how far you are planning to run. I just know you mentioned that it will be your long run.

• MNLittleFinn
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

M 3, T 3, Th,3, S,4

The bolded part did not make sense to me. I didn't quite catch exactly how far you are planning to run. I just know you mentioned that it will be your long run.

Oops. tomorrow is 6.6 I've been stretching out my longer runs, just to get a gauge of how the distance feels, for myself. Basically, I have it stuck in my head that I want to see if I can do the half the distance of a half marathon for some reason, before deciding on training for an actual half marathon.....my brain is a crazy jumbled mess...I can't explain......Next week I'll be going back to 4 runs a week, and just doing 3-4 miles a run on week days and 5 on Sat.
  • ceciliaslater
    Options

I do own one of those--I'm not sure if I've thought about it being better than the others I own since I normally wear it for yoga/strength training days, which are also lower mileage days. I normally wear the other Champion high-support ones, but you're right, they are sort of that "tube" shape. So are my Moving Comfort ones. I may need to trade the racerback (which I love) for a somewhat more generous band. I'm nervous about going looser, though, since the looser the bra the worse the chafing!

@5BeautifulDays - I also really like this one. Same concept, but it is a racerback! I think the H&M one runs more true to size than the Champion.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I am STILL plagued by cramps.Today it's my ribs to back, hammys and toes. I've upped my carbs, eliminated gluten, soy, and only eating "real" food. I may splurge on a massage, but I really think I need the PT to work out spasticity.

Anyone else had problems with persistent cramps?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 4 miles
    3/2 - 3.5 miles
    3/3 and 4 - travel days
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/6 - 6.5 miles
    3/7 - rest day
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5.3 miles
    3/10 - rest day
    3/11 - 7.1 miles :smiley:

Working from home today so decided to do a lunch time run instead of falling getting out of bed early.

36.4 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:

4/3 - Super Heroes 5K
    4/10 - Bridgestreet HM
    5/30 - Cotton Row 10K
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the Cherry Blossom (a week from tomorrow) as a 5K instead of the 10K. I'm not bouncing back, energy-wise, from the surgery like last year - I'd rather feel confident of finishing well than struggling to complete (tho I know I'd finish - no question there).

Any thoughts from my fellow addicts?
    I'm reminded of some advice someone in one of these threads gave me last year...

It sounds like you already know what you need to do.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Working from home today so decided to do a lunch time run instead of falling getting out of bed early.
    Boy do I know that feeling
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays I totally understand the support issue. I have the same problem. I still have a significant amount of weight to lose to get to goal and the bra thing just really grates on my nerves sometimes. Trying to take a deep(er) breath when your chest is wrapped and bound is just grrrrrrrr!! On the plus side, it's a great place to stuff my phone while I run!!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

exercise.png

Love the ticker - is the finger pointing to where you are in the snake? LOL

Is it a snake? I was guessing it was the "early worm" and he's one of those "get up early to get the run in" folks..