Options
    March Goal - 50km walking

March 13 - Rest day
    March total - 33km

17km to go :smile:
  • hnewman31
    hnewman31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting late so I will go with a goal of 42 miles for the rest of March
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    said, the heck with it. I'm signed up: http://www.elymarathon.com/#!half/c17i2

That's the right attitude! Checked out the race site and it looks cool!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    said, the heck with it. I'm signed up: http://www.elymarathon.com/#!half/c17i2

Yea!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Loving all these race reports today, you guys! Seems like this was a big day for racing! Too many posts to go through and find all the names (sorry, I'm lazy!), but if you raced today or are racing tomorrow, congrats! :)

4leighbee wrote: »
    I'd love to run a HM with some of you some time - not *with* you (pant, gasp, pant), but meet up and say hello, etc. ... if any of you runs in Virginia - particularly Richmond, please keep me in mind. :)

@4leighbee I really want to get to Virgina Beach for one of their big races (RnR or the Yuengling race), but have to save up some money to do it since I'd have to get a hotel. Maybe we can have an East Coasters meet up next spring! RnR is early in September, but... wouldn't that be a hot date for a race in Virginia?!

I'd make a trip for this!

@kristinegift and @Elise4270 ... Yes, probably humid, but from what I understand, you get a steady breeze off the water while you're on the boardwalk (I've heard that's good and bad) - the race is flat. I've always wanted to run that one. There's also the Shamrock Half in the Outer Banks (North Carolina). Can't believe I've never done either. The Richmond Marathon (and half) are voted "the friendliest" in the country. Now that is a wonderful race! Bands all along the course, people cheering from beginning to end. That one is in September, too.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Woo-Hoo!! I'm excited for you!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    2.25 today - even walked a little, trying to be good. I bought new Asics. My left foot is very happy with them. My right foot is an *kitten* and is never happy. Can I wear an orthotic in one shoe? I would think the heights would be off, even if I remove the insole.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Its been a few days and I am finally having time to catch up.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.
    Thanks @Stoshew71! I am pretty much at maintenance and have been for a while now. Like @ddmom0811, I have gained a few pounds but everything still fits. I am however terrified of gaining weight so I typically eat right on the edge either low maintenance or at a bit of a deficit. I really think I need to eat more. The last month has been crazy and my eating has been spotty - still eating good things, just not enough of anything. My long runs and HMs have suffered the most but I have generally had more bad runs than I have ever had (body is tired, legs with no energy, etc...). I also have been eating less protein - not sure why but I guess it is easier to grab a piece of fruit than take the time to cook something.
    @ddmom0811 - I have been on meds for hypothyroid pretty much all my life. The hardest thing is finding and keeping the dosage at the correct level. After years of trying mine is finally stable.
    @Elise4270 - a while back I had a Pod test for my body fat and they gave me a breakdown of my estimated RMR and TDEE for different levels of activity. Being a nerd I used that to calculate my weekly calories based on my activity level for each day of the week and a deficit. From that I calculated a daily amount.

I will check out Matt Fitzgerald in more detail - thanks!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      3.7      3.7
    Mar 02      3.8T     7.5
    Mar 04      3.8     11.3
    Mar 08      4.1T    15.4
    Mar 10      5.1     20.5
    Mar 12      6.5     27.0
    Mar 13      5.1     32.1

exercise.png
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    11/3: 3.2 Miles
    13/3: 5.0 Miles

exercise.png

• Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Love the ticker - is the finger pointing to where you are in the snake? LOL

I thought it was a worm, but both work. Was just bored of the runner on a road tickers, so mixing it up a bit :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles

I fell victim to my own arrogance today. Despite running a hard 5k effort yesterday, I figured I could just cruise through a 22 mile long run today. (I originally had 18 on my schedule for today, 22 next week but decided last night to switch them, fairly arbitrarily.) NOPE, I WAS OH SO VERY WRONG. The route I picked was nice, if a bit hilly, with lots of real estate eye candy to keep me distracted. But about 8 miles in, I knew there was no way I could do a full 22 miles and I decided mid-run to switch back to my original schedule. My shins/calves were still angry from yesterday's poor shoe choice, and the farther I ran the more I realized my quads and glutes were a bit sore from the 5k race as well. At 12 miles, I stopped and mentally reconfigured my route to cut 4 miles out, and I was right on the money; I came into my apartment complex at 18 on the dot.

Usually on a long run, I might have to make one pit stop (a new and annoying development this training season...) but I almost never walk. I may walk a bit if I'm working on a troublesome gel or having a hard time getting things reconfigured in my pockets or hand held water bottle, but that's it. Today? I walked a quite few times, stopped to stretch a few times, had to make a pitstop TWICE... it was just a hot mess. I'm glad I knew to cut it short. Could I have slogged through 4 more miles? Sure! But I'd much rather do a run of that length with my body in good shape and my head in the right place, or else it will haunt me when I line up to start my marathon in 7 weeks.

I'm glad I cut it short also because I am exhausted. I keep waking up 45-60 mins after I fall asleep, and then I struggle to sleep all the way through the rest of the night. And half the time I'm waking up before my alarm even goes off! I'm trying some new sleep aids to try to find something that works. You'd think that running 60 mile weeks would leave me exhausted, but I'm wide awake at bedtime. If anyone has tips/suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I need a full night of sleep, dang it!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • 4leighbee
    Options

exercise.png

Love the ticker - is the finger pointing to where you are in the snake? LOL

I thought it was a worm, but both work. Was just bored of the runner on a road tickers, so mixing it up a bit :)

I think you are right. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm glad I cut it short also because I am exhausted. I keep waking up 45-60 mins after I fall asleep, and then I struggle to sleep all the way through the rest of the night. And half the time I'm waking up before my alarm even goes off! I'm trying some new sleep aids to try to find something that works. You'd think that running 60 mile weeks would leave me exhausted, but I'm wide awake at bedtime. If anyone has tips/suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I need a full night of sleep, dang it!

@kristinegift, I think it's the endorphines. This was my second week on my schedule (14-16 mpw, nowhere near your mileage) and I can't sleep either! I did find, that a walk later in the day helps, kept me loose, and moving, but somehown helped me sleep more and better for some reason.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Its been a few days and I am finally having time to catch up.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.
    Thanks @Stoshew71! I am pretty much at maintenance and have been for a while now. Like @ddmom0811, I have gained a few pounds but everything still fits. I am however terrified of gaining weight so I typically eat right on the edge either low maintenance or at a bit of a deficit. I really think I need to eat more.

@Elise4270 - a while back I had a Pod test for my body fat and they gave me a breakdown of my estimated RMR and TDEE for different levels of activity. Being a nerd I used that to calculate my weekly calories based on my activity level for each day of the week and a deficit. From that I calculated a daily amount.

I will check out Matt Fitzgerald in more detail - thanks!

I just started reading his book "Racing Weight". I'm also afraid I'll gain fat. I did the online measurements for body fat and was seriously disappointed with 25-26%. I know that guess is not horrible, but as far as an optimum race %, it just confirms I need to lose another 5-10 lbs.

I'll be glad when you catch a break and can routinely catch up with us! Kinda missin' you.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift regarding the sleep, not sleeping. Are some of your runs later in the day? I find if I'm running later I'm just wound up and can't sleep. Also, is your body getting enough calories? Too few can disrupt your sleep. I read that some carbs before bed can help (don't remember where, but it was in regards to marathon training). Not junk, that can dehydrate you and cause you to sleep hot.
  • jstafaz
    jstafaz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What a fun catch up on everyone's posts. As usual you all inspire me to get out and get busy!

exercise.png

• rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Reading all the running reports and other posts made me realize 3 things. We have some seriously awesome runners here, I have a lot of miles to go, and I hate the fact that I'm so far away from a lot of races.

That goes double for me! And I wish I had all the money so I could enter all the races :) AND I'm jealous of no parkruns here.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I was only supposed to add a mile today, but it seemed so silly to change and head out for a whole 12 min, so I thought I would perhaps just run a mile on the treadmill. But the sun was shining, and spring has sprung and I decided I could walk and then just run my mile in the middle somewhere. This was a good plan! I ran two miles instead tho :)

3/1 - 3.1
    3/2 - 3.1
    3/3 - x-train stationary bike
    3/4 - 3.1 slooow miles with my average HR
    3/5 - bought new shoes!
    3/6 - 4 miles
    3/7 - x-train stationary bike
    3/8 - 3.1
    3/9 - 3.1
    3/10 - true rest day
    3/11 - awesome 3.1
    3/12 - 3.1 windy but great