Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

Options
clhoward6
clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
edited March 2016 in Debate Club
I would be very interested to hear (read) what people think about this.

I've noticed on some of the "what people are eating" type threads, there's a lot of easily accessible heavily processed foods being eaten. Because it says low fat on the tin does this make it good for us? Lots of salt seems to be added to processed food as well as all sorts of other ingredients that I don't even know what they are.

I'm not knocking CICO at all, its working for me, and I am not a food saint. I include all sorts of foods in my diet including fatty food, chips/crisps, sweets and chocolate. I have to do this in moderation otherwise I would be starving all the time because of the amount of calories these things have in them. I would also rather have a bowl of home made soup than a can of chicken. I had literally never heard of canned chicken before today (its not used widely in the UK). I'm astounded. I haven't eaten canned tuna for years because of the welfare aspects of it. I tend to be quite conscientious in my food choice when it comes to animal welfare but I'm aware that I am lucky enough to be on my own and able to afford to be that way.

I know the main aim of dieting for most of us is to lose weight but what could processed food be doing to our organs? I'm honestly interested in whether being thin but eating these sorts of foods has a detrimental effect on health?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a bit confused as to why canned chicken is being called out here. For people who eat chicken, it can be an easy way to have a high protein food. It can be purchased in low sodium or even no salt added versions for people who are watching their sodium.

It's just . . . meat in a can. I can't see how it would harm someone's organs in a way that uncanned chicken wouldn't.
  • clhoward6
    Options
    Well choose any other processed food. I don't mind I'm just interested.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »
    Well choose any other processed food. I don't mind I'm just interested.

You're the one theorizing that a processed food could be harming our organs. In order to discuss it, I think we need to talk about what specific harm is being done, which means we need to consider specific foods.

Canned chicken was the example you provided. I don't think canned chicken *would* harm organs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's not harming me.

Granted, I don't live in the U.K. but I do have friends and family there and they can all get canned chicken.
  • clhoward6
    Options
    I'm sure that's true I've just never seen it or tried it.

Ok so someone who regularly eats canned chicken of the normal salt content variety. Assuming they also have other high salt foods in their diet will surely be less healthy for example high blood pressure than someone who avoids processed high salt foods? The one I saw had 11% salt. It also contained rib meat and some sort of bulking agent.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't feel harmed by "processed" foods, but I have noticed that a balanced, varied diet consisting primarily of foods made from whole, single food ingredients, makes it easier for me to stick to my calorie allowance - I feel fuller, more energized, happier, more relaxed, and I feel satisfied, don't crave all sorts of stuff - so I guess there are some things in there that we need, and that's why we are adviced to eat real food more often than junk food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is pretty similar to this one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10350519/ultra-processed-foods-study#latest

My opinion is expressed in that one.

I don't think ultraprocessed foods are different in their effects, but I think they are more easily available.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    wrong platform.

Everything food is good for you.

JUST KEEP SHOUTING CICO.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Easy access to food has prevented a lot of deaths.....from starvation. Malnutrition is a close second. The modern food supply network allows us to access a wide variety of foodstuffs year-round, generally free from bacterial contamination (the big killer).

Fear of processed food, IMO, is a first-world problem.

That being said, home-made food where we control the salt and sugar content, can be of a great benefit. And not to mention economical.

There are some processed foods where I trust the modern food network to provide me cheap and safe alternatives, far better than I can. I include in this yogurt, cheeses, cereal grains like flaked oatmeal, juices, tap water, cookies, butter, and breadmaker's yeast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I eat tinned tuna, as far as I'm aware the ingredients are tuna and water so not sure how that's doing my insides any harm?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also:
    I had literally never heard of canned chicken before today (its not used widely in the UK).

I doubt it's widely used in the US either, it's not common in my cohort, but I doubt it or canned tuna would count as "ultraprocessed" or is actually a bad thing to include in your diet unless you dislike them. (I hate canned tuna and have never tried canned chicken.)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm sure that's true I've just never seen it or tried it.

Ok so someone who regularly eats canned chicken of the normal salt content variety. Assuming they also have other high salt foods in their diet will surely be less healthy for example high blood pressure than someone who avoids processed high salt foods? The one I saw had 11% salt. It also contained rib meat and some sort of bulking agent.

If someone is harmed by a diet that is high in sodium (and it's not clear that all people are), that's an issue with sodium. Not processing. There are lots of less processed foods that are high in sodium and some processed foods that are low in sodium.

I don't know if conflating the two is helpful.

What's wrong with rib meat?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Not sure canned meat is a good example, the welfare issues around tuna don't depend if it's in a can or not.

My problem with tinned meats would be the origin and quality of the meat, if you get a piece of chicken it's clearly off one bird whereas there could be all manner of ground up "interesting bits" from multiple birds in a canned product.

Salt isn't that big a deal for healthy people with working kidneys and normal blood pressure. You would have to consider their whole diet not individual foods.

I did manage to find one example of canned chicken on the Tesco website, which is probably representative of my view of the concept : :smile:

IDShot_225x225.jpg
  • clhoward6
    Options

If someone is harmed by a diet that is high in sodium (and it's not clear that all people are), that's an issue with sodium. Not processing. There are lots of less processed foods that are high in sodium and some processed foods that are low in sodium.

I didn't say anything was wrong with rib meat it was just one of the ingredients.

Are you aware that your responses sound like you're jumping down my throat or is that the intended response to my enquiry?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think you have to be way more specific than "processed food".

This could encompass everything from organic chicken stock in a carton to potato chips to jelly beans.

I don't think processing a food product automatically makes it "harmful"' to our bodies.

I do think that easy access to highly processed foods that contain alot of calories and salt per serving can lead people who aren't paying attention and taking responsibility for their choices to eat too many calories, too much salt, and too much sugar, leading to obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes. The cure is for people to read labels and monitor their diets.

While there have been plenty of hit-or-miss, poorly run studies that suggest links between "processed" foods, additives, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, etc to a whole litany of seemingly random health concerns, there is nowhere near a consensus that any of that is even remotely true.

As @jgnatca said, easy access to processed foods has made it possible for many people to have access to the food they need to live. The flip side is that those of us who are fortunate enough to not have to worry about going hungry, need to be careful not to over-consume ANY food, not just the processed kind.

I think if you want opinions on something harming our organs, you will need to give examples of specific ingredients, but I don't think there is anything to be concerned about in canned chicken.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I didn't say anything was wrong with rib meat it was just one of the ingredients.

Are you aware that your responses sound like you're jumping down my throat or is that the intended response to my enquiry?

Well, did you not post in the nutrition debate section? Sounds like she's debating you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada we have the example of the 1845 failed Franklin expedition, the deaths linked to mercury poisoning from canned foods. We don't use mercury in modern canning.

http://www.historytoday.com/sheila-rowbotham/canned-food-sealed-icemens-fate
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Not sure canned meat is a good example, the welfare issues around tuna don't depend if it's in a can or not.

My problem with tinned meats would be the origin and quality of the meat, if you get a piece of chicken it's clearly off one bird whereas there could be all manner of ground up "interesting bits" from multiple birds in a canned product.

I did manage to find one example of canned chicken on the Tesco website, which is probably representative of my view of the concept : :smile:

IDShot_225x225.jpg
    Exactly. When it comes to something like canned chicken, I suppose if one doesn't care about the details of the chicken components, then there's no real incentive to avoid it.

• janejellyroll
    edited March 2016
    Options

I apologize. That wasn't my intention -- my intention was to understand your posts. To me, a debate must begin with understanding the other person's position. I was trying to understand yours.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe we have made it this far into a discussion of tinned meats (and tangentially their availability in the UK), and there has not been a mention of Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam.

I am trying to remember the meats I usually bought at Marks & Spencer while a student there on a very tight budget, but I believe I wholly subsisted on fancy jam and baguettes.