Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I used to love whole milk! So delicious! But I knew it wasn't the healthiest. Skim milk is indeed sad, but also it generally has more sugar in it than 2% milk. So I settled on 2%. I love milk!
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love it but its one of the biggest triggers for my reflux/migraines.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    You don't want to be anywhere near me, or between me and a toilet, if I've had whatever my body deems "too much" milk to drink. What that amount is varies, but it certainly isn't much.

Almond milk appears to be much less unsettling. And lower in calories. :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Possibly because an 8oz glass of milk is from 125-150 calories? Also some may have issues with digestion of lactose when taken by itself.
    People make changes in their diets due to cost too.

Seriously overstating the calorie content. Fat Free milk has 80-90 calories per 8oz serving, but offers up 8g of protein.

Right on about so many people having issues digesting lactose, though. Also, milk has a fairly high carb/sugar count due to the lactose -- which can cause insulin spiking, as well.

Skim milk tastes like cardboard. Ugh.

I *love* raw, whole milk. Its AHHMAZING! and OMG...homemade raw milk yogurt?! To.die.for. Unfortunately...raw, whole milk is 150cals a cup. Thats too high for my 1350 calorie limit, IMO. I occasionally make room for a glass, but not too often and always on days i have added in a good amount of exercise calories.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love it but I only put it in my coffee and the occasional recipe. If I didn't drink coffee I'd probably drink milk maybe once a month. As it stands, though, I have it everyday with my coffee.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I exclude it because it is too many calories (for me), it tastes nasty (to me) and I am lactose intolerant as well.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Organic milk is the best!

One glass and a cup of cereal or something to go with it wipe out a third of my daily allowance. But the satiety level is low!!!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream is more to my liking. More fat, less carbs.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I drink a small amount of fat free milk in my fiber one cereal. I grew up on fat free, so that tastes right. While on a deficit I make a point of not drinking calories, it's what works for me.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking milk because I stopped eating cereal, weetbix etc

I stopped eating cereals for an unknown reason.

Then I realised I'm getting like no calcium.

So I started back in the milk.

Probably wasn't an issue, according to a dexa scan my bone density is near max.
  • steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just like it in my coffee, about 2 or 3oz every morning just because I can't do black coffee. Wish I could! Also it's so good when you soak the mint oreos. Omg.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I used to only ever drink it in my coffee, but now I only do plant-based alternatives. :) I don't worry about protein, so for me (or the environment) it's not convenient to get my protein from drinking milk.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Few reasons for me. Lactose intolerant, don't like the taste, goes bad way quicker than nut milks (I don't go through it fast enough, only use a cup in my shakes) and too high cal. Unsweetened almond milk only has 30 cals per cup. Oh and I'd rather eat my cals than drink them (Shakes are filling so I consider them "eating" haha).
  • chesty1
    chesty1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Milk produced in any dairy has pus in it - google it! (pus is masked under the lingo 'somatic cells')
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    chesty1 wrote: »
    Milk produced in any dairy has pus in it - google it! (pus is masked under the lingo 'somatic cells')

Yummy, yummy pus. Tastes so good in my protein shakes.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    chesty1 wrote: »

Because googling is legitimate research...If I google it, it must be true!
    Somatic cells just mean any cells that have 2 sets of chromosomes.
    Pus contains white blood cells, which are somatic cells. Somatic cells are not pus.
    I am a woman and I am human. That does not mean all humans are women.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The milk/pus thing is just annoying to hear. If cows have mastitis they are treated and their milk is not added to the bulk tanks. Folks seriously need to actually visit a farm or talk to a farmer some day instead of getting their information from anti-animal husbandry activists.
  • rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's not pus, for crying out loud. Woo

I didn't say it IS pus, I said it *potentially* HAS pus. Semantics, I suppose. Or reading closeness. Or perhaps drinking any amount of pus is just nastiness.

(aside I have been on community for 4 days but have been logging here since 2012 on and off. mostly off to be perfectly candid. Still maintain my high school weight 25 years later, so WOOOOOO to that)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    The milk/pus thing is just annoying to hear. If cows have mastitis they are treated and their milk is not added to the bulk tanks. Folks seriously need to actually visit a farm or talk to a farmer some day instead of getting their information from anti-animal husbandry activists.

If it's chronic in half of the cows used for dairy, do you really think farmers don't use up that milk? It's not a one-off thing that a dairy cow gets mastitis.

Of course if you go to a slaughter house, the workers there will tell you their approach to slaughtering animals is as humane as possible. Dairy farmers will tell you the same about their practices.

Now, I'm not saying anybody should stop drinking milk because of the pus in it. Don't get me wrong. But don't say we should go to the farm and ask the farmers, either.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    The only people I know who avoid are lactose intolerant
    I buy skimmed milk for my shakes and porridge. I can't sit there and drink a glass of milk

That comment about not being a cow makes me laugh. What a sad existence without ice cream