Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    What a sad existence without ice cream

Unless you happen to enjoy tofu / rice / oat / coconut / banana ice cream. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Some people pick a thing to eliminate for dieting purposes. Some like to exclude all liquid calories, including milk. It's just a dieting strategy that works for some and has nothing to do with milk per se. It gives structure to the diet. It's all about what people deem as worthy of their calories. I don't exclude milk, but I excluded things that I don't love, like doughnuts for example. I mean I don't mind eating them, they're just "meh" and not worth it. Consuming them would take away (a lot) of calories that I can potentially spend on things I love.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just don't like milk. I love dairy, like cheese and cream etc, but I don't drink tea with milk or eat cereal and I have porridge with water. Just taste.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    The milk/pus thing is just annoying to hear. If cows have mastitis they are treated and their milk is not added to the bulk tanks. Folks seriously need to actually visit a farm or talk to a farmer some day instead of getting their information from anti-animal husbandry activists.

If it's chronic in half of the cows used for dairy, do you really think farmers don't use up that milk? It's not a one-off thing that a dairy cow gets mastitis.

Of course if you go to a slaughter house, the workers there will tell you their approach to slaughtering animals is as humane as possible. Dairy farmers will tell you the same about their practices.

Now, I'm not saying anybody should stop drinking milk because of the pus in it. Don't get me wrong. But don't say we should go to the farm and ask the farmers, either.

I'm going to guess only one of us has ever actually been on an actual farm. Cows with mastitis don't typically milk, their nipples generally get hard. Killing your cows is not in the interest of any farmer, and attempting to abuse a cow with an infected udder could quickly be fatal. And no, it is not chronic in half of the milk cows; its actually quite rare in any place that pays any attention at all to cleanliness and hygiene. Which would be any farmer that wants to stay in business since infections and dead cows are very, very expensive.

Also, all modern milking stanchions test the milk on all cows for any evidence of infection prior to collecting the milk. And that's why I think you should actually go to farms and talk to farmers.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    The milk/pus thing is just annoying to hear. If cows have mastitis they are treated and their milk is not added to the bulk tanks. Folks seriously need to actually visit a farm or talk to a farmer some day instead of getting their information from anti-animal husbandry activists.

If it's chronic in half of the cows used for dairy, do you really think farmers don't use up that milk? It's not a one-off thing that a dairy cow gets mastitis.

Of course if you go to a slaughter house, the workers there will tell you their approach to slaughtering animals is as humane as possible. Dairy farmers will tell you the same about their practices.

Now, I'm not saying anybody should stop drinking milk because of the pus in it. Don't get me wrong. But don't say we should go to the farm and ask the farmers, either.

This is not the case, but even if it was.. would this be successful deterrent? Or just an excuse some vegans use to justify their choices, as if the moral grounds is not enough.

If I tell you that your bread can potentially have some ground up parts of rodents and your fruits and vegetables can potentially have insect eggs and poop no matter how well you wash them, would that be a successful deterrent? Or is the gross factor only applicable to items that support an agenda?
  • melonaulait
    Options
    This is not the case, but even if it was.. would this be successful deterrent? Or just an excuse some vegans use to justify their choices, as if the moral grounds is not enough.

If I tell you that your bread can potentially have some ground up parts of rodents and your fruits and vegetables can potentially have insect eggs and poop no matter how well you wash them, would that be a successful deterrent? Or is the gross factor only applicable to items that support an agenda?

I'm not looking for deterrents though. :) It's just interesting how people are so quick to defend dairy and factory farming practices.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Pus very much is a part of All Dairy ...."Up to 400,000 million somatic (pus) cells are legally allowed in each litre of milk sold in the UK." (Other places may vary but removing all pus from Dairy Products is impossible! It's part of Cows Milk ...Breast Milk)

Dr T Colin Capbell spent 25 years researching Animal Protein & it's effects on the human body in the largest human study ever done 'The China Study'. He himself grew up on a Dairy Farm drinking Milk everyday! Since his findings that "Casesin (The Protein found in Milk) is a Carcinogen (Cancer Promoting).. Him & his Family have changed to follow a strict Plantbased Diet.

During the Research they could literally Start & Stop Cancer Growth by adding or taking away Animal Protein partically 'Casesin Protein' Cows Milk. (Plant proteins had no effect on Cancer Cell Growth)

Dairy is also more likely to cause Osteoporosis rather than prevent it (The opposite of how it is Advertised!)

I don't know why more people don't know about this...!?

I spent 25 years eating Dairy everyday... I haven't eaten any for nearly 6 years & I feel great for it!

If you care about Your Health & the Health of the ones you Love, I'd highly encourage everyone to remove Animal Protein from their Diets... Particularly Dairy Products!
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I generally like to eat rather than drink calories, and my protein intake is fine, so I rarely drink milk on its own, even though I love it (semi skimmed, at room temmperature...). I enjoy semi skimmed milk every morning and afternoon with my coffee, as I love coffee but hate the way it tastes without milk. Every now and then I'd have it in hot chocolate as well.

When I make porridge, I usually mostly use water with just a splash of milk, as I can't really tell the difference.

I think it's a bit trendy for "nutritionists" to push dairy free as a lifestyle to anyone, i.e. including people who can digest milk perfectly fine. So, some people may perceive dairy as something that's contrary to eating healthy, clean etc. Some have objections to the dairy industry as well, so they embrace a dairy free lifestyle on those grounds as well.
  • melonaulait
    Options
    I'm going to guess only one of us has ever actually been on an actual farm.

Also this isn't really relevant, but I have been to farms since I was younger than 5. I haven't done actual research on mastitis at farms, though.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Fay84Vegan wrote: »
    Pus very much is a part of All Dairy ...."Up to 400,000 million somatic (pus) cells are legally allowed in each litre of milk sold in the UK." (Other places may vary but removing all pus from Dairy Products is impossible! It's part of Cows Milk ...Breast Milk)

Dr T Colin Capbell spent 25 years researching Animal Protein & it's effects on the human body in the largest human study ever done 'The China Study'. He himself grew up on a Dairy Farm drinking Milk everyday! Since his findings that "Casesin (The Protein found in Milk) is a Carcinogen (Cancer Promoting).. Him & his Family have changed to follow a strict Plantbased Diet.

During the Research they could literally Start & Stop Cancer Growth by adding or taking away Animal Protein partically 'Casesin Protein' Cows Milk. (Plant proteins had no effect on Cancer Cell Growth)

Dairy is also more likely to cause Osteoporosis rather than prevent it (The opposite of how it is Advertised!)

I don't know why more people don't know about this...!?

I spent 25 years eating Dairy everyday... I haven't eaten any for nearly 6 years & I feel great for it!

If you care about Your Health & the Health of the ones you Love, I'd highly encourage everyone to remove Animal Protein from their Diets... Particularly Dairy Products!

I probably consume more dairy than most people and have not had any related health issues. In fact, my bone density is in the upper 5% percentile for women (higher than most women). A lot of it is genetic, of course, but I really don't understand the health claims - save for legitimate claims like lactose intolerance. If you avoid dairy for moral and personal reasons, that's great. If you have issues with dairy farm practices, that's also great. No one is going to take away your personal choice and moral compass. But this act of cherry picking whatever research supports an agenda is a bit annoying, because you can cherry pick in favor of any cause. Many cultures known for being long-lived consume dairy. This does not mean dairy will give you longevity, but it just puts the blatant statement that you only care for your family's health if you don't consume dairy into perspective.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

[/quote] I probably consume more dairy than most people and have not had any related health issues. In fact, my bone density is in the upper 5% percentile for women (higher than most women). A lot of it is genetic, of course, but I really don't understand the health claims - save for legitimate claims like lactose intolerance. If you avoid dairy for moral and personal reasons, that's great. If you have issues with dairy farm practices, that's also great. No one is going to take away your personal choice and moral compass. But this act of cherry picking whatever research supports an agenda is a bit annoying, because you can cherry pick in favor of any cause. Many cultures known for being long-lived consume dairy. This does not mean dairy will give you longevity, but it just puts the blatant statement that you only care for your family's health if you don't consume dairy into perspective.[/quote]

I guess that's why many people don't know the facts.... Because they are in denial about the reality
    There is no 'Cherry Picking' by me, I don't know why you said that!? This is Not 'One Little Study'.. Of which I picked a line....!

The China Study was a Study conducted over Decades. Ironically when Dr Campbell began the Study it was originally to Prove that Animal Protein was Healthy for Humans, In Fact after his Research he found the opposite to be True!

If anything... A Dairy Farmer should be blased towards showing positive results for Animals Protein consumption... But when he learnt the result he completely changed his & his families eating habits. For someone that was trying to prove the Health of Animal Protein to change his dietary habits to the opposite, says something.

It's a Very Detailed In depth book... You should read it

Saying your not suffering with disease "so that makes Dairy safe" is like saying you smoke and have no disease from it, therefore 'Smoking is Safe'
  • amyjane_g
    amyjane_g Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drink soya milk only (which has many nutritional benefits) and have not eaten dairy since I was around 7.. It does not digest well with me at all and the texture of cows milk really makes my chuck up reflex contract violently..
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I sometimes add cows milk in cereal or warm tea/milo/coffee. However, prefer almond or skim milk since gal surgery last year.
  • webdaughter23
    webdaughter23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk because my allergies are worse the more mild products I have in my body
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is for cows. I am not a cow.

Dang, no ice cream either? yogurt? cheese?

I love ice-cream and cheese and yoghurt. I just buy dairy free versions.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just drank a 400 ml glass of milk

Absolute madman
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I too sense that milk is kind of out of fashion in the health and fitness community, back in the 80s a pint of milk a day was considered the elixir of health.

As for other reasons:

1. High calories - so what? switch to skimmed milk.
    2. Lactose intolerant - fair enough, don't drink it then.
    3. Animal welfare - a fair argument, intensive dairy farming isn't much fun for the cows. I usually get organic milk, and have experimented with rice milk for this reason.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options

My father is a dairy farmer. My grandfather was a dairy farmer. All my uncles are dairy farmers. I grew up in a community where the entire local economy was dairy. Literally everyone in the community was involved in dairy. Dairy was my entire life for 18 years.
  • melonaulait
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    back in the 80s a pint of milk a day was considered the elixir of health.

There are many old-fashioned remedies we wouldn't exactly consider healthy in modern times. Like morphine for kids, mercury, heroin... Not that milk is on par with that stuff but anyway. We learn more about this stuff every day.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    i love milk but i don't have to eliminate it for it not to appear in my diary very often. i just don't drink it much regularly. what, are grown adults sitting around the dinner table pouring themselves a tall glass of milk to eat with their steak? i pour it in my Cocoa Pebbles and I use it as an ingredient when I'm cooking pancakes, occasionally i mix my protein powder with chocolate milk. other than that....it just sits in my fridge.

what it is NOT is a convenient way to get protein while you're cutting. full fat milk is calorie dense for the protein it provides and skim milk tastes like sadness. 2% is tolerable....but what's even the point?

Pretty much this. Except I hate Cocoa Pebbles. Nut and berry muesli for the win.