Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I drink more milk when losing weight than I do when I'm not calorie counting. I used to think I was lactose intolerant but now I do great on the stuff.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just curious. What people arr paying for milk. Some have mentioned cost as a reason for limiting or avoiding milk. The great value milk at our local walmart has been under $1.50 a gallon for months. Last night it was $1.18 a gallon.

Seems pretty cost effective for the nutrient density.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My organic is well over $4.00 in Houston TX
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Just curious. What people arr paying for milk. Some have mentioned cost as a reason for limiting or avoiding milk. The great value milk at our local walmart has been under $1.50 a gallon for months. Last night it was $1.18 a gallon.

Anywhere from $3 to $5 here in California
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Because many people are into whey protein powder :)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Mine is 71 pence per litre. I buy long-life because I only bulk shop once a month http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/longer-life-milk/sainsburys-skimmed-long-life-milk-6x1l
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Possibly because an 8oz glass of milk is from 125-150 calories? Also some may have issues with digestion of lactose when taken by itself.
    People make changes in their diets due to cost too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I drink 80 grams/ml with bread meals, and use 100 grams in porridge/pudding/smoothie and 30 grams in potato/sweet potato mash. I use only whole milk and find the taste:satiety:price:macro ratio very reasonable.

Woo is a much more common issue than *real* intolerances.

I assure you that lactose intolerance is both very real and quite common, especially among certain populations

While some populations are almost exclusively lactose intolerant, the human population as a whole is not.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That's pretty good. I think here our walmart has it around $2.50 and Aldi carries it between $1.50 and $2.20.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Possibly because an 8oz glass of milk is from 125-150 calories? Also some may have issues with digestion of lactose when taken by itself.
    People make changes in their diets due to cost too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I drink 80 grams/ml with bread meals, and use 100 grams in porridge/pudding/smoothie and 30 grams in potato/sweet potato mash. I use only whole milk and find the taste:satiety:price:macro ratio very reasonable.

Woo is a much more common issue than *real* intolerances.

I assure you that lactose intolerance is both very real and quite common, especially among certain populations

I can't get the link to load, but if anyone visits the Wikipedia page for lactose intolerance they'll find this in footnotes and the appropriate link to the research paper on it:
    "Adult-type hypolactasia is characterized by a fall of lactase activity levels to 5 to 10% of birth levels occurring during childhood and adolescence. The condition affects more than 75% of the population worldwide, with regional frequencies ranging from nearly 5% in northern Europe to more than 90% in some Asian and African countries"

That said I am almost entirely descended from northern Europeans but am obviously some genetic throwback due to my lactose intolerance. Though someone earlier said they can't do milk or ice cream anymore but can do cheese and yogurt. I seem to have the opposite, cheese is the worst for me, but I can tolerate small amounts of ice cream and milk.

I use lactaid milk with protein shakes, to dip my Oreos in, and any other milk needs. I used to drink milk every day as a kid but I think I associate drinking it with when I was getting sick and discovered I was intolerant so now I can't really do it by itself, but it's a mental thing since the lactaid stuff doesn't bother me. I do miss pizza. A lot. At least the milk is just regular milk with lactose removed, but the non-dairy cheese is pretty frickin' horrible stuff. They don't make cheese for the lactose intolerant, they are catering to vegans so probably trying to make cheese from vegetable fats or something inefficient.

I agree it shouldn't be on anyone's banned list, but other than vegans I don't see too many people saying it's universally bad. Unlike diet soda, where people use their anecdotal experience to say it's horrible for everyone. I live in pricey California and regular milk is still pretty affordable here (though the lactose free stuff is not). For growing kids it's still a good calorie bang for your buck and as an adult I like the creaminess it can add to my protein shakes. If it fits in your calories and you like it, drink away! If you don't like it, don't worry, no one gonna force you to drink milk. If you are an activist vegan, why not direct your anti-dairy farm concerns to your congressman instead of a bunch of people on a message board.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Because it's gross. I like it in my coffee, but that's it. I can't stand the taste of plain milk.
  • Shalynlink
    Shalynlink Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Grew up drinking more milk than anyone (dairy farm kid) I love milk so much BUT I as a rule I don't drink my calories.
    I do have a Vega protein shake daily (25 g protein) but really try to stick to water & green tea.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, milk giving me the most problems. I break out when I drink too much milk, too. I drink Lactaid sometimes and use that for anything that needs milk, but when it comes to milk or any average beverage pretty much, I don't like drinking my calories.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have become lactose sensitive although I have never liked milk. As a kid I would eat the cereal and leave the milk and didn't care for mayo or American cheese because it reminded me of milk. And even when I use plant based milks, I never drink them straight (unless chocolate, yum) because the color just reminds me of regular milk. I just use it for coffee and any recipe that calls for milk. That said I adore most cheeses ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @rca27801 as you have read the reasons are many. I left it off/limited for years due to IBS before i learned my 40 years of IBS was due to using sugar and grains as food items by elimination dieting.

I still do not do milk very often and if I do I try to do the 3.5% butter fat (whole milk). Most of my milk today to escape most of the sugar is stuff like Heavy Whipping Cream simmerandboil.cookinglight.com/2009/02/17/heavy-cream-vs/ , cheese, half and half, Philidelphia Cream Cheese. What will float to the top in fresh raw cow's milk is low in lactose and sugar as a rule of thumb so those us that may be lactose and or sugar intolerant often do well. Being a LCHF eater these milk products help fill the 80% fats part of my macro.

The half and half at McDonalds is 20 calories of mainly fats per serving so each cup of senior coffee gives me 180 calories per cup so I have many most days. At home I use HWC which adds about 200 calories a cup.

Like in all foods we have many different reasons why eat/do not eat different foods. The above milk items helps those of us get our high fat macros filled.

Thankful there is many "right" ways to eat. :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer one way or another. I'm just here to say I love drinking buttermilk. It's delicious (to me only, apparently), and has not hindered my weight loss when it fits in my day.

Team buttermilk. And sour cream. And cheese.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't like drinking my calories. No problem using it in recipes though.
  • tashigolean115
    tashigolean115 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to not drink my calories unless their in the form of a quality dark beer.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Because I don't really like the taste and I have a feeling my skin is a lot happier without it. Nothing to do with calories.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love milk, but I very rarely drink it anymore because it is just too many calories for my to justify it. I keep it around for cooking and cereal, and for taking sips here and there, but I no longer regularly drink a glass of milk. More like a quick swig from the jug if I really want it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Fay84Vegan wrote: »
    Pus very much is a part of All Dairy ...."Up to 400,000 million somatic (pus) cells are legally allowed in each litre of milk sold in the UK." (Other places may vary but removing all pus from Dairy Products is impossible! It's part of Cows Milk ...Breast Milk)

Dr T Colin Capbell spent 25 years researching Animal Protein & it's effects on the human body in the largest human study ever done 'The China Study'. He himself grew up on a Dairy Farm drinking Milk everyday! Since his findings that "Casesin (The Protein found in Milk) is a Carcinogen (Cancer Promoting).. Him & his Family have changed to follow a strict Plantbased Diet.

During the Research they could literally Start & Stop Cancer Growth by adding or taking away Animal Protein partically 'Casesin Protein' Cows Milk. (Plant proteins had no effect on Cancer Cell Growth)

Dairy is also more likely to cause Osteoporosis rather than prevent it (The opposite of how it is Advertised!)

I don't know why more people don't know about this...!?

I spent 25 years eating Dairy everyday... I haven't eaten any for nearly 6 years & I feel great for it!

If you care about Your Health & the Health of the ones you Love, I'd highly encourage everyone to remove Animal Protein from their Diets... Particularly Dairy Products!

Since it wasn't pointed out clearly enough: Campbell and his china study are crap.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/