Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Aside from eliminating milk due to a diet, calories, sugar, etc. The very first thing I would ask is why are so many people intolerant to dairy products? That has to say something about the types of products people are consuming.

For me, if a product is making so many people sick, I sure don't want to include it in my nutrition plan. Here is some interesting information, from a vegan perspective on dairy products in general:

Note: This is in no way intended to push any agenda or make it seem like one plan is better/worse than another. It's just some interesting information.

There is a common misperception that the only way to get adequate calcium in your diet is to drink milk and eat dairy products. This may be what the dairy industry wants us to believe, but it is well established that plant-based foods are not only adequate sources of dietary calcium but are superior sources compared to animal sources, specifically dairy. The regular consumption of dairy and meat products together results in urinary losses of calcium, as calcium is released from the bones to neutralize the acid load in the bloodstream caused by eating animal protein. This likely creates a negative balance of calcium intake and loss. As we know, prolonged negative calcium balances could result in the development of osteoporosis for which a person would be given meds and probably told to consume more dairy which would perpetuate the problem and so on and so forth. Congress, pharmaceuticals and lobbyists at their finest. But meanwhile, if meats, dairy and fish are eliminated from the diet in place of plant-based foods, the body's need to neutralize acid in the blood stream disappears hence the body's need for overall calcium intake could be reduced.

Technically, being lactose intolerant is the default state. Mammals are born with the ability to digest lactose in order to be able to breastfeed and lose it as they get older.
    So, the correct question would be, why are there so many people who are not lactose intolerant?
    We evolved ourselves towards it. When we started domesticating cows we started drinking their milk too because for once we didn't have to hunt and kill animals to get close to them. Some people got sick of it, others didn't or to a lesser extent. The ones who got sick were more likely to die and the rest is biology.
    If you look at a map of lactose intolerance, it's most prevalent in the places where domestication of cows didn't happen and much lower in the places where it did. Mostly Europe and places mostly inhabited by people of European descent.

800px-Worldwide_prevalence_of_lactose_intolerance_in_recent_populations.jpg
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the taste of milk. I never have been. I switched to almond milk b/c it's less calorie dense than normal milk. I use almond milk in my cereal, but other than that I don't touch any form of milk unless it called for in a recipe.
  • KateHampson75
    KateHampson75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what to do. I have one latte in the morning for breakfast, with milk. I would love to switch to coconut milk or almond milk as they are less calories, and I know from MFP logging that my latte somehow is full is sugar. But that latte is the highlight of my day! how can I move over??
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what to do. I have one latte in the morning for breakfast, with milk. I would love to switch to coconut milk or almond milk as they are less calories, and I know from MFP logging that my latte somehow is full is sugar. But that latte is the highlight of my day! how can I move over??

WHY would you move over?
  • AprilTom
    AprilTom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I stopped drinking milk because I stopped eating cereal, weetbix etc

I stopped eating cereals for an unknown reason.

Then I realised I'm getting like no calcium.

So I started back in the milk.

Probably wasn't an issue, according to a dexa scan my bone density is near max.

If you were eating vegetables you were getting calcium, lots of greens like broccoli are high in calcium.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it for multiple reasons, although I do use it in cooking.

1. I'm not that fond of the taste, although I do like it better with chocolate milk.
    2. I have a mild degree of lactose intolerance, so while I can tolerate cheese and yogurt I can't drink much milk.
    3. I can get practically the same benefits and more from yogurt, since the fermentation process makes it more digestible.
  • KateHampson75
    KateHampson75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

WHY would you move over?

Because, according to MFP, one latte is full of sugar. :(
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Fay84Vegan wrote: »
    Pus very much is a part of All Dairy ...."Up to 400,000 million somatic (pus) cells are legally allowed in each litre of milk sold in the UK." (Other places may vary but removing all pus from Dairy Products is impossible! It's part of Cows Milk ...Breast Milk)

Dr T Colin Capbell spent 25 years researching Animal Protein & it's effects on the human body in the largest human study ever done 'The China Study'. He himself grew up on a Dairy Farm drinking Milk everyday! Since his findings that "Casesin (The Protein found in Milk) is a Carcinogen (Cancer Promoting).. Him & his Family have changed to follow a strict Plantbased Diet.

During the Research they could literally Start & Stop Cancer Growth by adding or taking away Animal Protein partically 'Casesin Protein' Cows Milk. (Plant proteins had no effect on Cancer Cell Growth)

Dairy is also more likely to cause Osteoporosis rather than prevent it (The opposite of how it is Advertised!)

I don't know why more people don't know about this...!?

I spent 25 years eating Dairy everyday... I haven't eaten any for nearly 6 years & I feel great for it!

If you care about Your Health & the Health of the ones you Love, I'd highly encourage everyone to remove Animal Protein from their Diets... Particularly Dairy Products!

Since it wasn't pointed out clearly enough: Campbell and his china study are crap.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/

Beat me to it. The only ones who still quote (or believe) the China Study are those with an agenda supported by it. Scientifically, it's a load of garbage.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

WHY would you move over?

Do you have any reason medically to pay attention to your sugar intake? If you're switching for calorie reasons or health reasons, I get it. But I can tell you that I don't notice a difference in taste between almond and cow milk. I actually prefer the taste of almond milk to cow milk. If you're buying the latte, a lot of coffee houses will have different milk options, just ask them to make it with almond, coconut, or skim milk and they will.

If you're making it at home, purchase a small thing of almond milk. Silk has 12oz bottles (if you can find them) and that way you can see if you like it. I always purchase the vanilla, reduced sugar version b/c it taste better to me, and 12oz is 90 calories. I never use that much b/c I only need a little for my cereal. I also, cut it with water b/c I'm so used to the consistency of 2% or skim milk that it's a little too thick for my liking for cereal. The consistency is perfect for hot chocolate IMO.

Just give it a try and see how you like it. But you don't have to make the switch unless you need to medically or you want to reduce the calories in your latte.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

WHY would you move over?

Do you have any reason medically to pay attention to your sugar intake? If you're switching for calorie reasons or health reasons, I get it. But I can tell you that I don't notice a difference in taste between almond and cow milk. I actually prefer the taste of almond milk to cow milk. If you're buying the latte, a lot of coffee houses will have different milk options, just ask them to make it with almond, coconut, or skim milk and they will.

If you're making it at home, purchase a small thing of almond milk. Silk has 12oz bottles (if you can find them) and that way you can see if you like it. I always purchase the vanilla, reduced sugar version b/c it taste better to me, and 12oz is 90 calories. I never use that much b/c I only need a little for my cereal. I also, cut it with water b/c I'm so used to the consistency of 2% or skim milk that it's a little too thick for my liking for cereal. The consistency is perfect for hot chocolate IMO.

Just give it a try and see how you like it. But you don't have to make the switch unless you need to medically or you want to reduce the calories in your latte.

I agree, no reason to switch over just because of milk sugar. I won't affect weight loss. I completely and utterly disagree with almond milk tasting like cow milk though. Even with a whole bunch of emulsifiers it still lacks the creaminess of real milk and those satisfying dairy undertones. No matter how thick you make it, it still feels watery because well.. it's basically almond water. It's even more watery than skim milk. Best almond milk I've had was that I made myself, and even that I couldn't drink it like I would milk, it had to be added to something to be even remotely palatable. It was also much higher in calories than real milk because I did not strain out the pulp (which is what gave it a better taste).

Do give it a try though. Your experience may be much better than mine.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fay84Vegan wrote: »
    Pus very much is a part of All Dairy ...."Up to 400,000 million somatic (pus) cells are legally allowed in each litre of milk sold in the UK." (Other places may vary but removing all pus from Dairy Products is impossible! It's part of Cows Milk ...Breast Milk)

Dr T Colin Capbell spent 25 years researching Animal Protein & it's effects on the human body in the largest human study ever done 'The China Study'. He himself grew up on a Dairy Farm drinking Milk everyday! Since his findings that "Casesin (The Protein found in Milk) is a Carcinogen (Cancer Promoting).. Him & his Family have changed to follow a strict Plantbased Diet.

During the Research they could literally Start & Stop Cancer Growth by adding or taking away Animal Protein partically 'Casesin Protein' Cows Milk. (Plant proteins had no effect on Cancer Cell Growth)

Dairy is also more likely to cause Osteoporosis rather than prevent it (The opposite of how it is Advertised!)

I don't know why more people don't know about this...!?

I spent 25 years eating Dairy everyday... I haven't eaten any for nearly 6 years & I feel great for it!

If you care about Your Health & the Health of the ones you Love, I'd highly encourage everyone to remove Animal Protein from their Diets... Particularly Dairy Products!

Since it wasn't pointed out clearly enough: Campbell and his china study are crap.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/

Thanks for pointing this out. I did hint at the cherry-picked nature of this research, but I just wanted to avoid a whole china study back and forth and further derailment turning a thread about milk into a thread about animal protein.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I grew up drinking milk with dinner. I kept doing so in college because it was what I was used to. Now I am 38 and I still do. I have come to prefer skim over the years, don't like the feeling or taste of full-fat milk (just a personal preference, nothing wrong with it if you like it). I pay about $4 per half gallon for the organic containers at Publix. I was having the gallons and half gallons in plastic containers go bad too soon, but I can get the cardboard containers to last longer. I figure it is better to buy a single half gallon for $4 and actually use it up as opposed to buying two plastic half gallon jugs for less but having to throw a bunch out.

I have been a vegetarian since I was 15 and even though I know it is possible to get enough calcium without dairy, I also know that I don't actually consume, on a day-to-day basis, enough calcium-containing foods to avoid dairy. Plus I don't want to avoid dairy. At this point in my life it would be weird to drink something *other* than milk with dinner (except at a restaurant, I don't order milk when I go out to eat). FWIW, I'm in a high (eventual) osteoporosis risk group because I am Caucasian, female, and small-framed, with a family history of osteoporosis. So this is something I think about from time to time.

There is no lactose intolerance in my family (largely of northern/western European descent). I don't seem to have any health issues from drinking milk. My skin is in good shape which seems to have more to do with what skincare products I use than what foods I consume. I don't have any GI issues from milk. I log milk like I would anything else and I am losing weight at a decent rate.

This is what is working for me so I'm going to stick with it.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i love milk but i don't have to eliminate it for it not to appear in my diary very often. i just don't drink it much regularly. what, are grown adults sitting around the dinner table pouring themselves a tall glass of milk to eat with their steak? i pour it in my Cocoa Pebbles and I use it as an ingredient when I'm cooking pancakes, occasionally i mix my protein powder with chocolate milk. other than that....it just sits in my fridge.

what it is NOT is a convenient way to get protein while you're cutting. full fat milk is calorie dense for the protein it provides and skim milk tastes like sadness. 2% is tolerable....but what's even the point?

THIS.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Aside from eliminating milk due to a diet, calories, sugar, etc. The very first thing I would ask is why are so many people intolerant to dairy products? say something about the types of products people are consuming.

For me, if a product is making so many people sick, I sure don't want to include it in my nutrition plan. Here is some interesting information, from a vegan perspective on dairy products in general:

Note: This is in no way intended to push any agenda or make it seem like one plan is better/worse than another. It's just some interesting information.

There is a common misperception that the only way to get adequate calcium in your diet is to drink milk and eat dairy products. This may be what the dairy industry wants us to believe, but it is well established that plant-based foods are not only adequate sources of dietary calcium but are superior sources compared to animal sources, specifically dairy. The regular consumption of dairy and meat products together results in urinary losses of calcium, as calcium is released from the bones to neutralize the acid load in the bloodstream caused by eating animal protein. This likely creates a negative balance of calcium intake and loss. As we know, prolonged negative calcium balances could result in the development of osteoporosis for which a person would be given meds and probably told to consume more dairy which would perpetuate the problem and so on and so forth. Congress, pharmaceuticals and lobbyists at their finest. But meanwhile, if meats, dairy and fish are eliminated from the diet in place of plant-based foods, the body's need to neutralize acid in the blood stream disappears hence the body's need for overall calcium intake could be reduced.

Because different subgroups of people evolved different physiological characteristics in different environments.

When you see someone with different skin color from your own, what's the first question you ask yourself?

Seems obvious to me but I guess some of the anti milk crowd don't really grasp what's obvious.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    because its disgusting

only baby calves should be using it
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is for cows. I am not a cow.

so do you drink human breast milk? A friend of mine who was breast feeding was producing a ton of milk, way more then her baby girl could eat. She pumped and stuck it in the freezer. Her Dr. mentioned that some people would buy it to drink! For like $10 an oz!

I personally don't like the taste of milk- i do love cheese though.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    because its disgusting

Should only squirrels use nuts?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think mostly because of the calorie count in it. I love milk and have switched to Fairlife when I use it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    because its disgusting

It's disgusting to you.

Baby cows are not the only ones that should be drinking it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I think mostly because of the calorie count in it. I love milk and have switched to Fairlife when I use it.

Love the extra protein in Fairlife, but SO expensive.