How old were you when you first shot a gun...

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Early teens. Went out with my dad and shot a variety of guns down in the Mojave desert but not sure what kinds. All sorts from handguns, to hunting rifles to some kind of AR. Such an amazing blast.

Getting back into it now in my late 30s. Would recommend for anyone to try it at least once, take a safety class, teach your kids, etc...despite some of the 'boohoo gunz r evill' comments on here. If anything, just the sporting aspect alone is an incredible feeling.

Thanks for your recomendation but no thanks, no need to take a safety class or teach my kids or try it for 'that incredible feeling'

I'm not reading any 'boohoo gunz are evill' comments but I am reading some 'everyone should do this because I do' comments
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    "We ALL feel that way" - I'm not so sure, I get a sense there are many who relish the idea of shooting a burglar.

Yeah there's always a few nuts out there.
    I guess all responsible good gun owners.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Maybe all of the adamant anti-shooting people should create their own thread, instead of coming in and commenting on a topic that has a title that definitely implies it's for people who have shot guns before. It's almost like you want this to start drawing negative attention so it gets shut down because it's something you don't agree with. Let's be adults and don't do that. We get it - there's people that don't get it. And I know it's hard for people not to defend their passion, but don't feed into it - that only adds to the fire (arms?).
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Never - I'm from the UK. I've headbutted someone, though!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Maybe all of the adamant anti-shooting people should create their own thread, instead of coming in and commenting on a topic that has a title that definitely implies it's for people who have shot guns before. It's almost like you want this to start drawing negative attention so it gets shut down because it's something you don't agree with. Let's be adults and don't do that. We get it - there's people that don't get it. And I know it's hard for people not to defend their passion, but don't feed into it - that only adds to the fire (arms?).

Couldn't Agree More !
  • g44219
    g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options
    5 or 6
  • mrtfromneb
    mrtfromneb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Probably around the age of 6 same age I started my oldest son at and same age I'll start my youngest at. We hunt ,fish ,and trap in my family. We know where our food comes from and how to harvest and process it
  • hrdks650
    hrdks650 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Less than 5 y/o. .300 savage. Smashed my face all to f#$k with the scope. I always enjoyed shooting but it took me a long time to do it right after that
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was around 21 I believe...my friend did a shooting range outing for her birthday. I went with my boyfriend at the time, who had shot guns plenty of times before, and shot like 5 bullets before I was done. All the loud noises at unpredictable times was startling me so much that I was getting overwhelmed and left, haha.

Clearly not my thing.
  • paperpudding
    Options

Really?

If never is the answer people cannot give it?

And if someone asks 'those who said never, why?' (Which they did) Someone who said never should not answer ?

And if people make sweeping statements like 'everyone should try it' nobody should disagree?

I haven't seen any adamant anti shooting comments (people may well think them but they haven't brought them into the thread) only answers to questions and refutes of 'everybody should' statements.

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Really?

If never is the answer people cannot give it?

And if someone asks 'those who said never, why?' (Which they did) Someone who said never should not answer ?

And if people make sweeping statements like 'everyone should try it' nobody should disagree?

I haven't seen any adamant anti shooting comments (people may well think them but they haven't brought them into the thread) only answers to questions and refutes of 'everybody should' statements.

Most of these get closed because it turns into arguments. We would like to keep this one open. Even asking what holster to use has dissolved into arguments about "guns are evil". Disagreeing is fine but this is about when you shot a gun.
  • IpakDaley
    IpakDaley Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was probably five years old. Single shot .22 at the range with my dad directly supervising.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I was 5. It was a .12 gauge shotgun. Since then, I have shot many more guns, but to this day, i still despise shotguns.
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    10 or 11
  • Ozzzzzzzzzz
    Ozzzzzzzzzz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was an early teen when I first shot a .22 rifle.
    Started my kids out around 5 or 6.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Early teens. Went out with my dad and shot a variety of guns down in the Mojave desert but not sure what kinds. All sorts from handguns, to hunting rifles to some kind of AR. Such an amazing blast.

Getting back into it now in my late 30s. Would recommend for anyone to try it at least once, take a safety class, teach your kids, etc...despite some of the 'boohoo gunz r evill' comments on here. If anything, just the sporting aspect alone is an incredible feeling.

Thanks for your recomendation but no thanks, no need to take a safety class or teach my kids or try it for 'that incredible feeling'

I'm not reading any 'boohoo gunz are evill' comments but I am reading some 'everyone should do this because I do' comments

So.....stop reading this thread then if it bugs you?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My first shot was at age 26 and it was a Ruger Mark III in .22lr.
    The first handgun I owned was a G19 9mm.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

I didn't say it bugs me.

I just pointed out that people could answer with never, if that is the answer and could answer questions asked like 'if never, then why'

And if anyone makes sweeping statements about what everyone else should do, such statements can be refuted.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

I didn't say it bugs me.

I just pointed out that people could answer with never, if that is the answer and could answer questions asked like 'if never, then why'

And if anyone makes sweeping statements about what everyone else should do, such statements can be refuted.

I refuse your sweeping comment about refusing statements of anyone making sweeping comments. Better?
  • couturebody
    couturebody Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-6574-1393376497-2.gif