March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Random question for the group. I'm running 4 days a week. Currently one of my short runs is the day before my long run. Would it be better to give my legs an extra day of rest before my long run day, and switch the short run to a recovery run the dater my long run?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I feel better now that I have a short recovery run the day after a long run. I have also had running days before mid-week long runs with no issue but I have always had a rest day before my l Iongest run on the weekend. Not sure if there is a clear answer but I do believe active recovery is wise after a strenuous workout like a long run, which a short and slow run the next day provides. As for going into a long run requiring a rest day ahead of time I think that depends on what that person is capable of. I would say if you need a rest day either before or after that it would be best to rest before the long run.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Good enough answer for me. I was set up for MWFS with the long run on Saturday, but was thinking of switching to TThSS since my weekday runs are before work and it would mean less days waking up the family too early....And I like the idea of a recovery run, rather than having a run the day before a long run. I know my legs felt it yesterday.
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    After having a busy weekend I've been unable to go for a walk for a couple of days. Tonight I was feeling like I needed to go for a walk but the last couple of times I walked alone at night I really spooked myself and now I just don't feel like it's a nice walk instead I'm tense for the whole hour. Anyway still wanting to "move" I have just finished walking on the spot for an hour and a half and the app on my phone "lifelog" has recorded my steps but also estimates that I have walked 7.6km. My question is, should I count it towards my goal of walking 50km this month? Or would that be cheating?
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Getting closer! Can still achieve my March goal if I average 3.3 miles per day every day!
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    11/3: 3.2 Miles
    13/3: 5.0 Miles
    14/3: 3.7 Miles
    16/3: 3.2 Miles
    18/3: 4.0 Miles
    20/3: 6.2 Miles

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to catch up on the 166 messages I missed! Later today! :wink:

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training
    March 17 - 4.5 miles
    March 18 - strength training cancelled :(
    March 19 - 34 mile bike ride
    March 20 - 8.4 miles - biking was canceled so impromptu run

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Oh yeaaa buddy. Sun is up I can't believe this. Yesterday was snowing and today when I woke up there was no snow to be seen and was pretty hot. Went for 6.5 km and had a barbecue after. Also I let my fast go wild on the last 500-1000 meters. Set course record on the park tour I first started running on strava, even though second place guy ran a wider segment, but strava segments aren't accurate sometimes if they aren't straight

.....Date.....Distance...Pace (min/km).........................Random thought of the day
    March 01 - rest
    March 02 - 5 km............(4:42).........Stop bouncing like Bambi you idiot you gonna kill your knees
    March 03 - 7 km............(6:00)............................Bend at the ankles not the waist.
    March 04 - 3.5 km.........(7.46)....................A metronome app helps with your cadence
    March 05 - rest
    March 06 - 15 km..........(6:00)............Need to taper long run next week but don't want to
    March 07 - 5 km............(7:08).........................,.............Treadmills suck
    March 08 - rest(4k walk)
    March 09 - 3 km............(6:00).................................Treadmills really suck
    March 10 - dead
    March 11 - dead
    March 12 - dead
    March 13 - dead
    March 14 - 4 km.............(4:20).......................Turns out I'm quite good at biomechanics
    March 15 - rest
    March 16 - 4.4 km..........(6:50).................I can't do this any slower watch leave me alone
    March 17 - 3.4 km..........(5:50)......................Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap
    March 18 - 3.4 km..........(5:00)........................................Gotta go fast
    March 19 - rest (xt)
    March 20 - 6.5 km..........(5:40)........................................Praise the sun

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run (registered)
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest (registered)
    15/05: Bucharest Half Marathon (need to register till march 31)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)
    3/16: 10 miles (am), 7 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    3/17: DC mini-vacation
    3/18: DC mini-vacation
    3/19: 7.2 miles
    3/20: 20 birthday miles!

Cut my long run from 22 to "just" 20. I lived all day yesterday in compression sleeves for my calf and spent an entire episode of Fringe in the tub massaging my calves. The cranky right one felt much better today, but I'll have to be flexible with my miles this week if it doesn't continue to improve. I ended up cutting my run short mostly because my back and hips were so sore (thank you, 6.5 hours in the car Thurs/Fri!). The way I see it there's no real reason for me to keep going past 20 when my form is going to deteriorate til I'm hunched over like a 90 year old lady ;) Plus I've got another 22 miler in 3 weeks (the week after my goal HM) so there's no urgency in getting this one done.

It was a nice day for a long run though; the sun started to come out in the second half after my running buddy left and there were very few cars to contend with so it was kind of peaceful. Great way to kick off my 25th year of being alive! And in case anyone was wondering: these calories are being donated to the Cheesecake Factory Birthday Dinner Fund :)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Your legs may feel it the day after the long run too, particularly after a new long distance. Just do some stretching before, run slow, and if it's a really tough one do some regular short walk breaks to use for motivation and to keep the HR down.

@AdrianChr92 - Sounds like a great day!

@kristinegift - That is the perfect birthday fund!

• WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Easy 5 mile recovery run today. This next week is a down week and my body has been giving some faint signals that it is due for this. The big debate right now is whether to drop to 4 mile daily runs with a short 8 mile "kinda longish sorta" run, or stay at 5 miles every day with no long run.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - Rest
    3/19 - 12 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles

106/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Great race, congrats! I've never had a race which started on an incline. Funnily enough, I think I would actually like that - I imagine it keeps you from going out to fast, and you have the downhill to look forward to.

@AdrianChr92 Lol on the spring meme! I've thought "it's spring!" twice already this year. Like on Tuesday, when I fixed my bike with the intention to ride it to work the next day - only to wake up to fresh snow on Wednesday. But since the end of the week I'm back in "it's spring!"-mode, I'm sure this time it's here to stay.

@annekka Sorry to read you are having such a bad time. 100% humidity would discourage me from running, that's sure. If the weather is supposed to be like that, I can see why you want to drop out of the HM. Maybe you could still ask if they would downgrade your registration to a shorter course, if your race also has them? Then the registration fee wouldn't be completely lost, and having a shorter race might actually be something to enjoy?

@MobyCarb Beautiful picture, I can imagine the wind just by looking at the waves.

@whatang Happy birthday to you! Sounds like you are having a fun day today, nice!

@kristinegift And happy birthday to you, too! Cheesecake factory sounds like a great place for a birthday dinner, enjoy! :-))
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    3/1 - Last swim lesson with Davis
    3/2 - 3.28 Treadmill run
    3/3 - ** 3.27 Lunch walk
    3/4 - ** 2.11 Lunch walk
    3/5 - 5.4 Sloan's Lake (includes cool down)
    3/6 - 2.92 Treadmill make-up run
    3/7 - Rest
    3/8 - 2.31 Treadmill run
    3/9 - ** 2.65 Lunch walk
    3/10 - 2.92 Lunch run
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - Rest
    3/13 - Lazy
    3/14 - 3.87 (includes cool down)
    3/15 - Swim lesson with Jason
    3/16 - Life Day
    3/17 - 3.42 Treadmill Run, swim lesson cancelled - I hate when they do that!
    3/18 - Last Lenten Fish Fry so I'm calling it a Life-Lazy-eat all the food day
    3/19 - 6.7 (includes cool down) long slow run after swimming a half mile. Felt surprisingly good to run after the swim. Two hydration stops during the run, paused the timer each time. And 6.25 is a distance PR for me but every long run from here on out for the next 8 weeks will be a PR lol.

02/20 Snowman Stampede 10 mile race -cancelled due to injury
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids - "Memaw's Mini Posse" is our team name!
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half

**Ticker is run mileage only. Will add in walking to meet goal if necessary!**
    exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I tried out a new route today. I live close to the border (France-Switzerland), and usually start my runs "inland", to avoid carrying ID documents with me. Today I decided it was time to be adventurous and go for a two-countries-run. A slightly weird side-effect of running in the south-west rather than north-east direction was that I actually started with a slight downhill, followed by a lot of flat. That, combined with the fact that it meant heading towards more city-like areas, are defenitely minus points for the route (as is the "remember your ID"-thing).

On the other hand, I found the cutest little forest hugging the border on my way back!
    I really love running this kind of trail - a few branches to duck under or jump above, but no rocks, and no crazy muddy slopes.
    wzgnfw7qgtsr.jpg

Just to make sure you don't get too jealous of my trails, because I usually only take pictures of the nice spots: I also had to run through streets like this. Much less scenic!
    6qki6vznl4n7.jpg

Got a little lost along the way (twice!), so I ended up with 12.9km instead of the planned 10km.
    Might have to increase my monthly goal a little...

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    loped along until the Foo Fighters came on - Pretender is the best running song, I swear! - and then loped along afterwards, lol (strength day)

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      3.7      3.7
    Mar 02      3.8T     7.5
    Mar 04      3.8     11.3
    Mar 08      4.1T    15.4
    Mar 10      5.1     20.5
    Mar 12      6.5     27.0
    Mar 13      5.1     32.1
    Mar 15      3.5T    35.6 Hills, L8, 6.5MPH, 30+
    Mar 17      4.0T    39.6 Hills, L10, 6.5MPH, 35+
    Mar 19      6.5     46.1+
    Mar 20      3.0     49.1

exercise.png

Well, don't tell but my Garmin says that the St Patrick's Day 5K was just 3 miles, but if a race can have a bit of blarney, this is the one. And I PR'd my mile time with a 7:44. Not to shabby.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift wow 20 miles on your birthday. Have a lovely day and enjoy that well deserved birthday dinner.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit melancholy - my younger son is on-route to Japan, for the next year or three. Being a 21st century father, I'm tracking him on FlightAware. I'm happy for him, and immensely proud, but it's going to take some getting used-to.

So it's a Rest Day/Life Day - I'll do some walking, but...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps
    11---5.41
    12---7.33
    13---worked, slept
    14---2.3 walk, biked 9
    15---7.23 easy
    16,17---eat days
    18---travel/crazy day
    19---5k turned out to be 2.85miles, about 0.5k short. So no PR. 
    20---13.4 RNR half. Unofficial time 2:20:47 I should have just peed my pants instead of stopping.

81.63 miles/150 Dang, I'm behind!

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  411.30/ 2016