Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

so this - i hate this sentence!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    From our doctor: "calories don't matter on low carb"
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

It does, in the same way that brick weighs more than water (and sinks) and pine wood weighs less than water (and floats).

A brick weighs more than the ocean?

Really good point.

Do adults weigh more than children? Not at all, 10 children weigh more than 2 adults.

Does brick weigh more than giprock? Not at all, 2kg or giprock weighs more than 1kg of brick.

Do hermes handbags cost more than coach handbags? Nope, $10k of hermes handbags and $10k of coach handbags cost the same.

Does ben & jerrys icecream contain more calories than celery? Nope, 1000cal of ice cream has the same calories as 1000cal of celery.

I'd agree that people could be more precise in their language, but it doesnt make "muscle weighs more than fat" a "myth".

Agreed. I feel like people pointing it out as a 'myth' or 'false' are just being pedantic. We all know what you mean when you say 'x weighs more than y'. Nobody is going around thinking that a pound of one thing weighs more than a pound of something else (at least not after giving it 5 seconds of thought) because that is completely illogical; obviously the 'by volume' is implied in the statement. And going around saying 'muscle does not weigh more than fat' is misleading.
  • lemonlionheart
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Yeah, and cement weighs the same as cotton wool....

Depends. A pound of each weighs the same.

Unless I'm reading your comment oddly. Or are you saying a pound of cement doesn't weigh the same as a pound of cotton?

A bucket of cement is considerably heavier than a bucket of cotton wool, which is the point.
    That a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else is not a useful piece of information and its certainly not worth the religious fanaticism its imbued with.

For a given volume, muscle is some 18% heavier than body fat.

I get what you're saying. The argument happens all the time, but it just sounds really, really stupid to hear someone say muscle weighs more than fat.

I think it's stupid to think that that statement could mean anything else than 'by volume, muscle weighs more than fat. Do you think people read that and think it means that a pound weighs more than a pound? It is far more misleading to say 'muscle does not weigh more than fat'.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member

Unless I'm reading your comment oddly. Or are you saying a pound of cement doesn't weigh the same as a pound of cotton?

A bucket of cement is considerably heavier than a bucket of cotton wool, which is the point.
    That a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else is not a useful piece of information and its certainly not worth the religious fanaticism its imbued with.

I get what you're saying. The argument happens all the time, but it just sounds really, really stupid to hear someone say muscle weighs more than fat.

I think it's stupid to think that that statement could mean anything else than 'by volume, muscle weighs more than fat. Do you think people read that and think it means that a pound weighs more than a pound? It is far more misleading to say 'muscle does not weigh more than fat'.

when its put into a sentence such as " the reason youve not lost weight this week is because muscle weighs more than fat" and you my friend have gained muscle. :s
  • Goldhartbeat
    Goldhartbeat Posts: 32 Member
    - Margarine is better than butter (yay for trans fats I guess..)
    - Detox (does anyone even believe this? Peeing more does not help you "get rid of toxins")
    - Exercising off ALL the calories you eat (Good luck keeping that up!)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2016
    I tell people to eat frozen mint peas for their "thermogenisis" properties, makes you burn calories heating your body back up. Like the people who drink ice water thinking it will make a massive impact.

But really I just want more people to eat frozen mint peas so its not as weird when I do it.
    Completely not serious cleanse/detox here. Please don't report me, its clearly a joke.

ibr66e1p5oj5.jpg
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    From someone preaching about Paul McKenna diet.
    Don't drink caffeine and you will lose weight.
    Only eat fruit on an empty stomach.
    Only eat between 7.30am and 8pm
    Don't mix "heavy carbs" with protein

Good on her she did lose weight but I bet she had a calorie deficit.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    The one about the 'plateau', as if there was some form of wall preventing you from losing weight.

Or the one about 'my friend eats pizza all day and is skinny whereas I eat salads and pile on the pounds. It's so unfair'...
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    synacious wrote: »
    However, I'm allergic to sulfur, so I can't eat sundried tomatoes, raisins, can't drink red wine, have to buy special dish soap, shampoo, face wash, and toothpaste and have to read every ingredient list thoroughly.

I have been working with my Doc for the past few years to try and figure out what it is in foods that I am allergic to. We have tested for, wheat, eggs, milk, nuts, all the environment ones and still couldnt figure it out. You mentioned raisins, face soaps, and such. I cant eat raisins, sun dried tomatoes and I cant use certain lotions and soaps, plus a host of other things. I believe I will ask my Doc about the Sulphur and see if we can test for that. Your comment may have helped me narrow this down. You made my day :)
    Becca

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Those "As seen on TV" waist trainers that I see in Walmart.
  • lemonlionheart

when its put into a sentence such as " the reason youve not lost weight this week is because muscle weighs more than fat" and you my friend have gained muscle. :s

But the relative weight of muscle vs fat isn't what's wrong with that claim. What is wrong is the idea that they have gained muscle in the first place on a calorie deficit, and probably not doing any strength training. Muscle does weigh more (by volume) and theoretically someone could weigh the same, but have a body composition of more muscle and less fat, therefore appearing smaller. It's just that this isn't what is actually happening to the people wondering why they're not losing weight.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    ybee1991 wrote: »
    My mom used to tell me if you suck your stomach in long enough, it'll stay that way-LOL.

I also don't get people who don't eat after 8pm, but that's none of my business.

I try not to eat after 8PM but it is because I get acid reflux when I lie down in bed right after having eaten a meal. If I did not get acid reflux, I would probably eat later.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Soo many. I just roll my eyes and move on.
  • KNewer88
    KNewer88 Posts: 19 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Worst I heard came from my former nutritionist:

You shouldn't mix different types of protein (so I can't have a piece of chicken breast with a sprinkle of Parmesan on it, which is really yummy btw, because these count as two different. Same with yoghurt and milk. Not the same type of protein...) because your body can't metabolize it and all the excess will be stored as fat.

Same rule for carbs. Only one type of carb per meal. Meaning, I can't have strawberries and raspberries together. Supposedly these are different types of carbs...

My crossfit instructor/nutritionist said the same thing about the carbs. He saw that I had logged a serving of twizzlers in my diary one day and said "these are carbs, but these types of carbs will set you back days and take forever for your body to eliminate because they're sticky and gunky." :neutral:

He's also big on eating/not eating certain things at certain times to keep your metabolism going.

I... I regret ever asking for nutritional advice from him.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    KNewer88 wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Worst I heard came from my former nutritionist:

You shouldn't mix different types of protein (so I can't have a piece of chicken breast with a sprinkle of Parmesan on it, which is really yummy btw, because these count as two different. Same with yoghurt and milk. Not the same type of protein...) because your body can't metabolize it and all the excess will be stored as fat.

Same rule for carbs. Only one type of carb per meal. Meaning, I can't have strawberries and raspberries together. Supposedly these are different types of carbs...

My crossfit instructor/nutritionist said the same thing about the carbs. He saw that I had logged a serving of twizzlers in my diary one day and said "these are carbs, but these types of carbs will set you back days and take forever for your body to eliminate because they're sticky and gunky." :neutral:

He's also big on eating/not eating certain things at certain times to keep your metabolism going.

I... I regret ever asking for nutritional advice from him.

This is why the terms "Dietitian" and "Nutritionist" are protected by a license. If someone claims they are a "nutritionist" without the degree and license to back it up, run!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Ice water causes fat to solidify in your veins, so never drink ice water. XD
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    I had a friend once tell me that "If you eat carbs when they're cold your body won't digest them." Once. She was eating a plate of cold fries.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2016
    [/quote]

This is why the terms "Dietitian" and "Nutritionist" are protected by a license. If someone claims they are a "nutritionist" without the degree and license to back it up, run![/quote]

I thought dietician was only protected by licence...you can do an day course online and call yourself a nutritionist and get a shiny certificate.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    If you use the bathroom as soon as you finish eating you won't gain weight..
    Funny enough a guy I was dating in college told me the same thing about sex and pregnancy...

:warning: BTW, Neither are true :hushed: