Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »

This is why the terms "Dietitian" and "Nutritionist" are protected by a license. If someone claims they are a "nutritionist" without the degree and license to back it up, run!

I thought dietician was only protected by licence...you can do an day course online and call yourself a nutritionist and get a shiny certificate.

You're correct. Dietitian is a licensed bachelor's or master's degree, nutritionist is a non-accredited title that doesn't require any schooling.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had a friend once tell me that "If you eat carbs when they're cold your body won't digest them." Once. She was eating a plate of cold fries.

Well yea because it is a good excuse to drink all the high-calorie cold soda an beer one wants.

Mine is this exchange, which happens occasionally:
    Me: "Weight loss is very difficult and very slow due to certain medical issues. I'm jealous of how quickly everyone else seems to be able to lose weight. Fortunately, treatment methods have improved and it is now possible to lose, but still painstakingly slow. After 2 years, I'm only down about 30 lbs."
    Other person: "Well how long did it take you to gain it?"
    Me: "In the first month after diagnosis of one of those medical issues, I gained 20 lbs. I doubled my weight in the first year and continued to gain until I was more than triple my starting weight."
    Other person: Blank stare, uncomfortable silence.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That everything you eat should be super spicy because that will speed up your metabolism and you will lose weight

The Master Cleanse (tried this once clearly maple syrup cayenne pepper and lemons meet all my nutritional needs)
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh man I honestly can't even begin to name all of them. What first comes to mind though is almost every weight loss article in my mom's old Woman's World magazines.
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ghouli wrote: »
    Oh man I honestly can't even begin to name all of them. What first comes to mind though is almost every weight loss article in my mom's old Woman's World magazines.

Lol that's funny.. My mom is always chasing the quick fixes from that magazine.

She also told me that if you drink nothing but water on a full moon that you will lose 5 lbs. :expressionless:
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well my NANA told me that any calories from foods you eat while preparing a meal - samples, nibbles, "taste tests" etc don't count against you, because you're standing up, and the calories fall right through you... and also because the heat of the oven/stove gets the ones that don't so you're all good to sample.

Nana said it so it must be true. =)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is more effective than CICO.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    KNewer88 wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Worst I heard came from my former nutritionist:

You shouldn't mix different types of protein (so I can't have a piece of chicken breast with a sprinkle of Parmesan on it, which is really yummy btw, because these count as two different. Same with yoghurt and milk. Not the same type of protein...) because your body can't metabolize it and all the excess will be stored as fat.

Same rule for carbs. Only one type of carb per meal. Meaning, I can't have strawberries and raspberries together. Supposedly these are different types of carbs...

My crossfit instructor/nutritionist said the same thing about the carbs. He saw that I had logged a serving of twizzlers in my diary one day and said "these are carbs, but these types of carbs will set you back days and take forever for your body to eliminate because they're sticky and gunky." :neutral:

He's also big on eating/not eating certain things at certain times to keep your metabolism going.

I... I regret ever asking for nutritional advice from him.

This is why the terms "Dietitian" and "Nutritionist" are protected by a license. If someone claims they are a "nutritionist" without the degree and license to back it up, run!

Nutritionist is not protected by license in most regions of the world, but dietitian usually is. Anyone on this thread that wants to be a nutritionist, you are now granted the title where applicable by the Senecarr nutritionist licensing program. Paypal me $5 please, or don't.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

You shouldn't mix different types of protein (so I can't have a piece of chicken breast with a sprinkle of Parmesan on it, which is really yummy btw, because these count as two different. Same with yoghurt and milk. Not the same type of protein...) because your body can't metabolize it and all the excess will be stored as fat.

Same rule for carbs. Only one type of carb per meal. Meaning, I can't have strawberries and raspberries together. Supposedly these are different types of carbs...

My crossfit instructor/nutritionist said the same thing about the carbs. He saw that I had logged a serving of twizzlers in my diary one day and said "these are carbs, but these types of carbs will set you back days and take forever for your body to eliminate because they're sticky and gunky." :neutral:

He's also big on eating/not eating certain things at certain times to keep your metabolism going.

Learned that one the hard way. Still looking for a good dietitian not too far from where I live.

Oh and on the silly side, this one comes from my boss:
    "if you don't pay an arm and a leg for it, it won't work" ...
    She's going to a nutritionist who makes people pay by the kg they lose. It averages out to about 200$ per kg. And if you gain it back, you have to pay again to lose it.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Food Babe.

Dr. Oz.

Hate to say I was a Food Babe believer for a long time.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Learned that one the hard way. Still looking for a good dietitian not too far from where I live.

Oh and on the silly side, this one comes from my boss:
    "if you don't pay an arm and a leg for it, it won't work" ...
    She's going to a nutritionist who makes people pay by the kg they lose. It averages out to about 200$ per kg. And if you gain it back, you have to pay again to lose it.

Related: "Big pharma and modern medicine just create customers, not cures. I know this because my naturopathic chiropractor nutritionist tells me that every week when I see him, pay him $50 for an consultant and adjustment, and then pay extra for whatever herb he recommends this week."
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The cleanses and the waist training. Its a waste of time, money and in some cases can be dangerous.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    That as you lose weight, all the fat turns into muscle.

A pound of fat weighs more than a pound of (fill in the blank).

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've probably believed all these things at one point too.. so lol.

Garcinia Cambodia - lol
    Fat makes you fat
    Eating after 7 makes you fat
    Lifting makes you bulky
    Skipping a meal slows down your metabolism
    Starvation Mode...
    Eat frequent - otherwise your metabolism dips

I could probably go on forever haha. I got into an argument with a "certified" personal "trainer" that I'm going to get bulky by lifting. I looked at her and asked if I look bulky? She ignored me lol.

To each their own I suppose, as long as they don't shove their myths down my throat then so be it!

• wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Atkins
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Toning. I hate that word. No way to "tone" a muscle. Or making muscles "long and lean." Again, not happening. Muscles are exactly the length dictated by connective tissue.

giphy.gif
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Also I have seen quite a few gluten free products in my grocery store that had the same if not more calories than the same thing with gluten. If the product is equally "healthy" and had similar calories why would you spend twice the amount of money for the gluten free product?

Well, you know, there are in fact all the traditional foods that are eaten in Asia, Africa, South America, the Middle East - a very large chunk of the world's eating population that don't traditionally eat gluten and have just started to eat a little in the past generation because of globalization. And that traditional food isn't more expensive than the cuisines of North America and Europe, which traditionally have gluten. Walk into any asian grocery and the majority of what you see will be gluten free and waaaay cheaper than what you find at your supermarket.

I mean I get what you're saying - companies are using the gluten free fad as a marketing gimmick in order to charge higher prices for food.

That said, I think if someone doesn't want gluten, a good enough reason is "I'm just not interested," or "I don't enjoy it enough to be worth eating." Cutting gluten isn't like cutting carbohydrates or proteins or fiber - it's not a nutrient that's necessary to eat. And I don't get why the burden rests on *that* person to give *other* people a good reason for what they choose to put in their *own* bodies.

Asians don't eat gluten? News to me.

Wheat gluten first appeared during the 6th century as an ingredient for Chinese noodles.[2] It has historically been popular in the cuisines of China, Japan and other East and Southeast Asian nations. In Asia, it is commonly found on the menus of restaurants catering primarily to Buddhist customers who do not eat meat.

from Wikipedia article on seitan.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Agreed. I feel like people pointing it out as a 'myth' or 'false' are just being pedantic. We all know what you mean when you say 'x weighs more than y'. Nobody is going around thinking that a pound of one thing weighs more than a pound of something else (at least not after giving it 5 seconds of thought) because that is completely illogical; obviously the 'by volume' is implied in the statement. And going around saying 'muscle does not weigh more than fat' is misleading.

yep,+1

I think also some people are discounting theories that really are about just cutting calories, such as low carb and low fat. When you actually meet people who are doing "low carb" what they're actually usually doing is just finally switching to a regular amount of carbs after doing too many for years.

I'm cutting calories, but people around me have been asking me if I'm doing low carb. Nope! Just realized that one piece of multigrain toast is better than two! Still eating plenty of carbs throughout the day.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction
    Toxins
    Negative calorie foods
    Gluten free (w/o diagnosis)
    Vegan/vegetarians are healthier (or the opposite "don't get enough protein and are malnourished")
    64 oz water/day is required
    Juicing (as sole source of calories)
    Low carb
    Eliminate sugar
    Junk food

Some of these work for some people (like low carb) but it bothers me when someone implies it's the one true path. I.e., "you won't lose weight unless you eliminate sugar".
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight after 50