March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee - For my hill workouts I like either picking a pair of adjoining nearby steep hills and run back and forth between them, up and down each one for whatever the target distance is. I also plan some hilly routes for my regular runs to get as much hills in there as well. I do not do hill sprints much, instead I do the back to back hills as mentioned earlier and do a tempo or intervals on that. But I make up my own rules like that sometimes, and I'm sure there is even better advice.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)
    3/16: 10 miles (am), 7 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    3/17: DC mini-vacation
    3/18: DC mini-vacation
    3/19: 7.2 miles
    3/20: 20 birthday miles!
    3/21: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/22: Rest day!
    3/23: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    3/24: 8 miles speedwork (am)

I was a little sketchy about today's speedwork because a) I ran a bit too fast yesterday afternoon after too much coffee consumption and b) I've never done this workout before and it looked hard. But it ended up being a great workout and I killed it on my paces! I did a wave tempo workout which I got from this blog post. I did the 2 mile warm up, then just 4 waves of 1/2 mile HM pace and 1/2 mile marathon pace, then a 2 mile cool down. It was pretty fun actually, and the waves went by super quickly. The faster paces felt easier than the slower ones (probably because those 1/2 miles took less time ;) ).

exercise.png
    ^^ I'm finally over 200 for March! Now it's just the home stretch to that big monthly mileage PR: 250!!!!

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    3/1-2.03
    3/2-3.53
    3/3-Rest
    3/4-Rest
    3/5-6.00
    3/6-3.13
    3/7-3.26
    3/8-Rest
    3/9-3.23 (5k pr)
    3/10-Rest
    3/11-Rest
    3/12-7.01 (personal distance PR)
    3/13-2.25 (getting closer to doing a true recovery run)
    3/14-3.14
    3/15-2.02 (4-10 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow, so I snuck a quick run in tonight)
    3/16-Crosstrain HIIT core work
    3/17-Rest
    3/18-3.01 (First AM run, in the dark)
    3/19- 6.27
    3/20-3.0
    3/22-3.0
    3/23- Rest
    3/24- 3.5

Total: 54.4/56

Notes on today's run: Solid run today, spent 84% of the time in HR Zone 4, and 16% in Zone 3. Finally I'm getting so there's no Zone 5 on weekday runs. Average HR was 151 and Average pace was 11:02 (My hopeful HM pace), which are still both too fast, but getting better. Added an extra half mile on today, because I was feeling good as I came to the normal last turn, and decided a little farther wouldn't hurt. Glad I did, I think I'll have to keep that distance for my short runs, it just felt right. Chilly morning at 16 degrees, but my combination of polar fleece, UA turtleneck, and Brooks LSD Jacket actually made it so I got too warm. Still working on dressing appropriately and pacing better....Things to keep practicing.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I'm really concerned about summer running. I actually started running initially in hot August weather 2014 and I did okay but I was a beginner doing intervals and short distances. Last summer, I had worked up to 7 miles over spring and really improved my pace and everything just went downhill with summer. I couldn't run more than 20 min before getting chills, seeing spots, feeling like I was going to pass out. I drink a lot but I'm a super heavy sweater :-/ I'll try again this summer but I'm anxious. I did wear a cheap hat yesterday for the first time but the thing with me and hats is I have a really small head. Lol! Any and all ideas are appreciated :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-new medicine-nauseous
    11-yoga
    12-Great Pi Race 5k. great time with some horrible hills. I would have had an amazing time without them and as it was i still beat my last 5k by 2:37min. Stepdaughter to be got second in her age group. i was 20 out of 36.
    13-rest day
    14-4.87mi happy bunny
    15-no run (yet) knee and kidneys are sore.
    16-no run-kidney's still hurt
    17-carpool-no run. grumble.
    18-carpool and slush fell from the sky this morning. so I vinyasa/power aerial yoga-ed
    19-car shopping
    20-family stuff
    21-6.13mi not easy not too hard. well the first 15 min were awful but then it settled in.
    22-wedding stuff to do, hip hurts-yoga tonight
    23-more yoga
    24-4.78 mi

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I'm really concerned about summer running. I actually started running initially in hot August weather 2014 and I did okay but I was a beginner doing intervals and short distances. Last summer, I had worked up to 7 miles over spring and really improved my pace and everything just went downhill with summer. I couldn't run more than 20 min before getting chills, seeing spots, feeling like I was going to pass out. I drink a lot but I'm a super heavy sweater :-/ I'll try again this summer but I'm anxious. I did wear a cheap hat yesterday for the first time but the thing with me and hats is I have a really small head. Lol! Any and all ideas are appreciated :)

@greenolivetree With summer running, it's best to try to go out when it's coolest, which usually means starting right around dawn or even earlier (something I'm not particularly looking forward to!). Make sure you're hydrated all the time, and don't hesitate to bring water with you. You may have to back off the miles to get used to the heat and build back up, but that will only leave you even stronger when fall rolls around again and brings cooler temperatures with it!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wow, not sure how to advise with those symptoms, that sounds a bit severe. Too much hydration can cause problems too if it causes your sodium levels to dilute too much. I am a very salty sweater myself, I sympathize with that. Perhaps instead of hydrating with water you should do a sports drink instead?
  • kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So, apparently since deciding I was going to run 25 miles this month, because it was my first month really running at all, I've started enjoying running? I'm not sure I intended for it to happen... but it seems to be happening with or without me.

One more week to go, and so far I'm at 18.2 miles, including 2.32 miles this morning (roughly 2-3 miles/run) and 30 miles on my bike (only been out twice so far, weather's still a bit crap but I spent money on upgrades so I have to make it worth my while!). I'm sure I'll be able to get a good three more runs in this month.

Not sure if I should include this (I haven't in the above totals) but I've also started running to and from work more often than not - it's like 0.7 miles according to google maps, I've never tracked it properly because it's so short, takes me 6 or 7 minutes to get there versus 12 to 15 walking. In the past I always walked it anyway, but a week and a half or so ago I started running it because why would I settle for walking when I could be moving so much faster? That, and sometimes the music I'm listening to on my way up there is too fast and upbeat for me to not run.
  • greenolivetree
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift Thanks for the input. Last summer I tried leaving a bottle of gatorade on a bench and grabbing a swig as I ran by. My stomach didn't like that but I'll try plain water. I definitely didn't run midday or anything but it's so humid here early in the morning which makes it worse. It doesn't help that I already dislike summer so much even apart from running. Have to try and be positive. I'm just that person that is watching everyone else laughing it up in the summer heat and thinking, "What is wrong with these people and why aren't they sweating like me?!" Haha!

@WhatMeRunning yeah, I agree, severe symptoms. Maybe I could drink gatorade in advance?

@kgj4105 that's awesome!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles
    3/10 - 4.45 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/11 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/12 - 7.5 hilly miles
    3/13 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/14 - Rest day...seriously sore from squats and dead lifts on Sunday
    3/15 - 4 miles on treadmill + weights (early a.m. thunderstorm kept me inside)
    3/16 - 4.02 windy miles...took a good 2 miles to get into a groove.
    3/17 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/18 - 4.13 miles. Sooo excited that I am on track for my goal this month!
    3/19 - Unplanned rest day...life got in the way.
    3/20 - 8 wind, flat miles
    3/21 - Planned rest day
    3/22 - Beautiful 4.7 miles. It was about 50° F with a very light breeze at 5:00 a.m.!
    3/23 - Wet 4.3 miles...almost biffed it when I slipped on a downhill. Thankfully saved myself without tweaking anything...thank God for small favors!
    3/24 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)...lots of "speedwork" today. Sore calves.

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options

I have no advice, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, and I can completely relate. I, too, am super heavy sweater, and I also have quite a small head. haha I don't do hats, because I can never find any that fit my head - they're always floppy, push my ears down, really annoy me, and look ridiculous! I am actually very interested to see what advice people may come up with for you!
  • instantmartian
    Options
    kgj4105 wrote: »
    So, apparently since deciding I was going to run 25 miles this month, because it was my first month really running at all, I've started enjoying running? I'm not sure I intended for it to happen... but it seems to be happening with or without me.

One more week to go, and so far I'm at 18.2 miles, including 2.32 miles this morning (roughly 2-3 miles/run) and 30 miles on my bike (only been out twice so far, weather's still a bit crap but I spent money on upgrades so I have to make it worth my while!). I'm sure I'll be able to get a good three more runs in this month.

Not sure if I should include this (I haven't in the above totals) but I've also started running to and from work more often than not - it's like 0.7 miles according to google maps, I've never tracked it properly because it's so short, takes me 6 or 7 minutes to get there versus 12 to 15 walking. In the past I always walked it anyway, but a week and a half or so ago I started running it because why would I settle for walking when I could be moving so much faster? That, and sometimes the music I'm listening to on my way up there is too fast and upbeat for me to not run.

That is so awesome, and good for you! Running is certainly addictive! I would love to be able to run to work. Technically, it is attainable, but I would be a complete disaster by the time I got here. I live about 9.5 miles, door-to-door. After a few blocks from my house, it is a straight shot on one route to get to the office with minimal hills. I've considered doing it numerous times since I started working here about two years ago. Maybe one cool afternoon in the fall, I'll give running home a try. I could get a ride to work from one of my coworkers - I have a few that drive right by my house on their way in.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I say include it, you're running it, so it's mileage that counts. You could just say it's speedwork, since it's short distance. It's awesome that you're doing that. I'd do it 2, but Running 45 miles a day would be a bit much.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Wow, not sure how to advise with those symptoms, that sounds a bit severe. Too much hydration can cause problems too if it causes your sodium levels to dilute too much. I am a very salty sweater myself, I sympathize with that. Perhaps instead of hydrating with water you should do a sports drink instead?

During the heat I slow my pace and just focus on getting it done. I do Gatorade and bought NUUN for this summer. And I a lot walk more. Take more frequent water breaks, 20-30 minutes, or take a hydration belt/pack. Sunglasses and a hat help. Might look at the cooling bandanas. I've never used one. But so see them on runners.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @Elise4270 Last year I had no pace control so I think that will help this summer. I do have one of those cooling towels that you keep wet and snap them to activate the cooling? Never carried it running - kept in the car to cool off after.

@instantmartian Our small heads.... I was holding my hat on when I had to run into the wind yesterday :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I should not keep looking at the Brooks website....there's a new pair of shoes I want to possibly
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee - For my hill workouts I like either picking a pair of adjoining nearby steep hills and run back and forth between them, up and down each one for whatever the target distance is. I also plan some hilly routes for my regular runs to get as much hills in there as well. I do not do hill sprints much, instead I do the back to back hills as mentioned earlier and do a tempo or intervals on that. But I make up my own rules like that sometimes, and I'm sure there is even better advice.
    @WhatMeRunning That sounds like what our local club does on every 2nd/3rd Saturday. Except we have 7 adjacent hills with different pitchs, doing all 7 would come in at about 40km so close to a Marathon Distance. All though we are planning a 7 Hills - 7 Pubs Run & Fun Day this fall.
    @kristinegift Any time I have felt sketchy or antsy about a run plan it turned into a great day - just like yours.

@kgj4105 Welcome to Runners Anonymous; Just wait it gets better - when I miss a run or two I start to get Twitchy and just need to get the shoes on and hit a trail - any trail. You enjoy and miss it at the same time. s said by many before - addictive.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    @Elise4270 Last year I had no pace control so I think that will help this summer. I do have one of those cooling towels that you keep wet and snap them to activate the cooling? Never carried it running - kept in the car to cool off after.

@instantmartian Our small heads.... I was holding my hat on when I had to run into the wind yesterday :smiley:

I have one baseball cap that fits my head. It's a child's size!
    That would be about the time I would rip it off and carry it for the rest of the run. haha :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race
    3/7 6.2 miles - 43.15
    3/8 8 miles - 51.15
    3/8 4.1 miles - 55.25 << daily double
    3/9 6.2 miles - 61.45
    3/10 8 miles - 69.45
    3/10 4 miles - 73.45 << another daily double
    3/11 6.25 miles - 79.70
    3/12 16.25 miles - 95.95
    3/13 REST DAY
    3/14 10.75 miles - 106.7
    3/15 8 miles - 114.7
    3/15 4.1 miles - 118.8 << daily double
    3/16 6.6 miles - 125.4
    3/17 9.35 miles - 134.75
    3/17 4 miles - 138.75 << lunch time daily double
    3/18 6.2 miles - 144.95
    3/19 15.15 miles - 160.1 << 2,297 ft. elev of trail running
    3/20 REST DAY
    3/21 6.65 miles - 166.75 << sore Monday morning
    3/21 6.3 miles - 173.05 << daily double, less sore
    3/22 8 miles - 181.05
    3/22 4 miles - 185.05 << another daily double
    3/23 6.3 miles - 191.35
    3/24 8 miles - 199.35

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

8 miles with my Panera Pounders group. 1:12:28 at 9:02 avg pace. First 3 miles were a strong pace, but then quickly faded. Still not recovered enough from last Saturdays mountain trail run. Cutback week coming up next week.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    But my runner brain said, "There is no bad weather. There is only inappropriate clothing."

OMG, I love this. lol