March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know I'm weighing in on the hat question about 3 pages too late (I've only just read through and caught up on posts), but am I the only person who absolutely cannot stand to wear a hat when running? My head just gets SO hot! I have one of those horrible sun visor things that old men wear when playing tennis, which I wear in the summer to keep the sun off my face, but seriously - wearing a hat in the summer? The part of your body where all your body heat tries to escape from, and you want to cover it up? It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever :flushed:

@ceckhardt369 Well done on completing your C25k! That's an amazing achievement :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Nice work doing a daily double! I had trouble doing those last year, but have them on the calendar this year. Not an easy thing to do.

@Becky71_cm - Welcome back! No pressure to hit these numbers. Just trying is the best any of us can do!

@Virkati - I vote for rest. Considering you posted this last night, I'm hoping you made that call. :smile:

@kristinegift - I'm not sure about up there, but last evening here in this part of Kansas the Earth stood still for the KU game in the NCAA tournament.:lol: I'm guessing any group runs were outright cancelled, save for the K-State fans.

@ariceroni - Best wishes on the arch pain.

@ceckhardt369 - Fantastic to hear about the great run!!

@louubelle16 - If you get the right hat you will not feel any warmer than wearing no hat at all. The right hat will be made of the same sort of moisture wicking apparel as a tech shirt basically, even with mesh for added ventilation. You'll know right away when looking at one because when it is set down it does not keep a hat shape (just flops right down the same as setting down a tech shirt would). Even the bill is designed to pull sweat from your head to evaporate and cool things down with more surface area than just your head alone. Now, a typical hat not designed for running in the heat, totally different story, much like most non-tech running shirts, not so good in the summer. :smile: I would not dare leave the house on the hotter days of summer without my hat, it makes the run miserable! All that sweat pouring into my eyes, and if the sun is out beating down on my head (no hair here :smile:). A hat is a million times better. A good hat that is. These are deffinitely good ones. http://www.headsweats.com/distance-race-hat-hot-pink-26-2-white/

As mentioned by some though, hats aren't for everyone. Some may go for a visor or buff, or if the sun exposure and sweat is not a problem for them then nothing at all. :smile: In my case, sweat pours in my eyes on hot days, and having no hair to protect the scalp means either sunscreen up there, or a covering. Since I also like having a bill to keep the sun and rain out of my face/eyes I like a hat. :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

This week has gone really well, and with a cutback next week... I'm feeling really optimistic about my April 3rd HM! :)

Best wishes. I have a half the day before that Saturday but it's not my feature half. It's the one held by the Jack Daniels distillery (the whiskey not the running coach) and signed up for it only because it's a very fun race and lots of people in my town and group are doing it and great swag. It's got a mean hill called Whisky Hill. It even has it's own Facebook page designed to taunt will be racers.

Here's a video of someone driving up it.

Anyway, my feature race is the week after, the Bridge Street Half. It's my current half PR from last year and I want to PR on it again this year.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I don't know if I was targeting MP a little too fast; or failing to adjust for the part of the T mile that was uphill; or failing to adjust MP for running up and down hills; or just happened to have a bad day. Maybe the fact that I didn't have a full rest day last week, and this is my 13th day of running in a row, has a little to do with it.

Hills can have a huge effect on paces. Same with streaks. I wouldn't beat myself up too much about it.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training
    March 17 - 4.5 miles
    March 18 - strength training cancelled :(
    March 19 - 34 mile bike ride
    March 20 - 8.4 miles - biking was canceled so impromptu run
    March 21 - 4.4 miles (after school) + day 1 of 28 squat challenge
    March 22 - 4.4 miles (intervals on a beautiful chilly morning) + day 2 of squats
    March 23 - 22 mile bike ride + day 3 of squats which was a rest day
    March 24 - 5.1 miles
    March 25 - 4.0 miles run with daughter.

exercise.png

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace (pm)
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m @ 6:45 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (am)
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (pm)
    3/10: 4.75 miles, 3x800m @ 6:45 pace + 2x400m @ 6:30 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/11: 5 miles, super easy
    3/12: 2 miles, warm up
    3/12: 5K race, 23:27
    3/13: 9 miles, easy with strong finish
    3/14: 5 miles, easy
    3/15: 5 miles, 1.5 miles at LT pace (7:40)
    3/16: 5 miles, easy
    3/17: 5 miles, 3x1/2 mile @ 7:00 pace with 1/2 mile recovery
    3/18: Off, rest day
    3/19: 3 miles, easy with quick finish
    3/20: 10 mile race, 1:19:39
    3/21: 4 miles, easy
    3/22: 5 miles, easy
    3/23: Off, rest day
    3/24: 6 miles, easy (am)
    3/24: 4.5 miles total, 2 miles @ 7:40 pace (pm)
    3/25: 4 miles, easy
    Total: 139.39 miles

Overview:
    Easy 4 miles today to start off my friday! I originally planned to do 6 to make up for taking wednesday as a rest day, but I have a race tomorrow so I decided to err on the side of caution.

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    03/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler 1:19:39 - PR and 2nd in my age group!
    03/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi, just found this group. I had my 62nd birthday in January and decided I wanted to run/walk the 5K in the big raceweekend in Ottawa in May...so I started with Couch to 5K. I have repeated weeks and days to feel stronger and I have just finished Week 8, Day 2 which means I can run 25 min straight. I practice on the treadmill and watch cooking shows while I run lol!! I am not fast but feel like I have accomplished a lot...have never run before. I was diagnosed with T2D last April and now am 71 lbs lighter and at my goal!! Exercise is super important and after walking for months I decided I could probably jog
  • Becky71_cm
    Becky71_cm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!

@Becky71_cm - Welcome back! No pressure to hit these numbers. Just trying is the best any of us can do!

• Becky71_cm
    Becky71_cm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Did I it's something while away, why propofol??
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia HAHA! I want an old style soccer shirt. The kind with holes in it. Dark green with the number 7 on it. We lost every game. but I loved that shirt.

I'm not opposed to doing another order. Even if someone else wants to handle shipping, or not. I need a good hat.

I get to run today! well, once i shake the medicine stupor and the headache from oversleeping and propofol.

• lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    03/01 3.23
    03/02 3.19
    03/03 3.17
    03/04 3.27
    03/05 6.83
    03/06 8.15
    03/07 3.17
    03/08 3.43
    03/09 3.59
    03/10 6.25
    03/11 2.70
    03/12 0.00 (16 mile bike ride)
    03/13 7.01
    03/14 3.09
    03/15 3.28
    03/17 3.34
    03/18 5.21
    03/19 4.90
    03/20 7.01
    03/21 2.79
    03/22 3.11
    03/23 3.29
    03/24 3.30
    03/25 3.07

TOTAL 98.27
    GOAL 100

exercise.png

• CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I fell off the wagon. Run today just isn't going to happen. I need another 7 miles for the month to reach my goal.
    I really should try and get on a plan, and write it down so I stay accountable. Maybe that will be my goal for the month of April.

4/9 Pirate Plunder 2 Miler
    5/1 Eat my Crust 5k
    11/27 Space Coast Half Marathon

March Goal: 25 Miles
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Nice work doing a daily double! I had trouble doing those last year, but have them on the calendar this year. Not an easy thing to do.

@Virkati - I vote for rest. Considering you posted this last night, I'm hoping you made that call. :smile:

@kristinegift - I'm not sure about up there, but last evening here in this part of Kansas the Earth stood still for the KU game in the NCAA tournament.:lol: I'm guessing any group runs were outright cancelled, save for the K-State fans.

@ariceroni - Best wishes on the arch pain.

@ceckhardt369 - Fantastic to hear about the great run!!

@louubelle16 - If you get the right hat you will not feel any warmer than wearing no hat at all. The right hat will be made of the same sort of moisture wicking apparel as a tech shirt basically, even with mesh for added ventilation. You'll know right away when looking at one because when it is set down it does not keep a hat shape (just flops right down the same as setting down a tech shirt would). Even the bill is designed to pull sweat from your head to evaporate and cool things down with more surface area than just your head alone. Now, a typical hat not designed for running in the heat, totally different story, much like most non-tech running shirts, not so good in the summer. :smile: I would not dare leave the house on the hotter days of summer without my hat, it makes the run miserable! All that sweat pouring into my eyes, and if the sun is out beating down on my head (no hair here :smile:). A hat is a million times better. A good hat that is. These are deffinitely good ones. http://www.headsweats.com/distance-race-hat-hot-pink-26-2-white/

As mentioned by some though, hats aren't for everyone. Some may go for a visor or buff, or if the sun exposure and sweat is not a problem for them then nothing at all. :smile: In my case, sweat pours in my eyes on hot days, and having no hair to protect the scalp means either sunscreen up there, or a covering. Since I also like having a bill to keep the sun and rain out of my face/eyes I like a hat. :smile:

It's windy here, a hat is also great to avoid wind burn. I like my hat. It's cool, and I've written my PR times on the underside of the bill. I can always use it to block my view from the hill I'm on. Keeps me from getting psyched out.

• Elise4270
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps
    11---5.41
    12---7.33
    13---worked, slept
    14---2.3 walk, biked 9
    15---7.23 easy
    16,17---eat days
    18---travel/crazy day
    19---5k turned out to be 2.85miles, about 0.5k short. So no PR. 
    20---13.4 RNR half 2:20:47
    21---5.01 recovery run/walk
    22---DOMs
    23---3.16
    24---druged
    25---5.28 Not bad. Calves weren't 100% on the hills. And I must have had some kind of breakthrough. It feels like I'm running on endorphins. Maybe it's mental- I ran 100% of the half. PR'd on a tougher course. Maybe I've had my first taste of the runner's high.. Now, if I can only get the shoe thing sorted. I tried the kinavaras again, guess I'll have to use KT tape or wait until my heel is healed up.

Group run tomorrow!

95.08 miles/150

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  446.92/ 2016
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    4 miles this morning on a 1 mile stretch. Downhill/uphill/downhill/uphill. I have a lot of work to do on the uphill.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

This week has gone really well, and with a cutback next week... I'm feeling really optimistic about my April 3rd HM! :)

Best wishes. I have a half the day before that Saturday but it's not my feature half. It's the one held by the Jack Daniels distillery (the whiskey not the running coach) and signed up for it only because it's a very fun race and lots of people in my town and group are doing it and great swag. It's got a mean hill called Whisky Hill. It even has it's own Facebook page designed to taunt will be racers.

Here's a video of someone driving up it.

Anyway, my feature race is the week after, the Bridge Street Half. It's my current half PR from last year and I want to PR on it again this year.

Looks like a nice place to run. Hill looks like a lot of butt work!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning @Elise4270 @MobyCarp I decided to rest. Losing 4 miles yesterday is better than losing 7 miles tomorrow. I need the long run more I think.
    @ceckhardt369 Congratulations!!
    @louubelle16 The right hat DOES make all the difference. I learned that the hard way last summer. I was running at NOON, in Denver, and had to figure it out pretty quickly for the reasons you and everyone else described. I'm a heavy sweater in the summer and the sun beating down...just miserable. I have a hat that's floppy, looks ridiculous, and does what I need it to do. And I wear it with pride because it allows me to continue doing what I want to do.
    @CivicSista If you find a race you want to participate in (note "participate" not necessarily run as a race), you can then look for plans that can help you build up to said race, and that in itself holds you accountable. But then you might have to learn how to "let it go" as my PT says, when you can't get in the mileage for one reason or another. And having a plan that you can tweak as needed will also help to avoid injury. **From someone who does not follow their own or most other experienced runner's advice to avoid injury. And sits here with a muscle that didn't allow a run yesterday** :D
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    But my runner brain said, "There is no bad weather. There is only inappropriate clothing."
    I Pictured this with an image gif of 2 runners one freezing in shorts and one in appropriate clothing + Snow Flakes

I may or may not have already sketched a concept drawing....

p0h3vvwb0axs.jpg

Nailed it. Here is the Gif from our Chilly Willy Feb 7 HM. This is what the Medal looked like so it is a keeper for me.
    2nmu0j3hajgy.gif
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning @Virkati @Elise4270 Thanks for the advice, looks like I need to invest in a decent hat. If I still hate them then I'll stick with my stupid tennis visor and continue to look like a moron whilst running. But hey, if it works and I can run during the summer? Who cares!

1st March - 3.03 miles
    3rd March - 4.03 miles
    6th March - 9.13 miles
    8th March - 3.30 miles
    12th March - 10.28 miles
    17th March - 3.77 miles
    19th March - 6.22 10km race PR!
    21st March - 3.06 miles
    25th March - 4.06 miles

MTD - 46.88/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon

Ugh, after such a bad month running-routine-wise (stupid tummy bug :rage:), I have some serious catching up to do if I'm going to make my goal. But, with my half marathon on the 3rd of April, I'd better make them super slow and super easy if I want to turn up at the start line with any chance of making it round!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    And I may or may not have allowed myself a little retail therapy last night before going to bed. Found my shoes on JackRabbit for $49.95 USD. They ship from the store I bought the first two pair at...literally a couple of miles from my place. I've ridden my bike to that store! The store has them on sale for $70. I didn't order 3 pair. Nope. Not me. :p