March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    @Virkati I also just ordered some shoes from runningwarehouse.com. My feet have been achey lately which just means I get to order new shoes. I bought last years version of some brooks. Also can't beat the free 2 day shipping.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @CivicSista Which Brooks do you wear? The girl at the running store brought out a BUNCH of different ones to try after analyzing my gait etc. and the Brooks Dyad 8 were heavenly when I put them on! I bought 2 pair that day, then 3 more last night. I'm terrified they might try to improve them at some point lol
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    @Virkati I wear the GTS adrenaline. I got the 15s, because they were on sale. I've been wearing the adrenaline for the past 3 or 4 years. I think this is pair number 4 for me. I'd love to try out a different style but afraid that I won't like them.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1 - 4 miles
    3/2 - 3.5 miles
    3/3 and 4 - travel days
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/6 - 6.5 miles
    3/7 - rest day
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5.3 miles
    3/10 - rest day
    3/11 - 7.1 miles :smiley:
    3/12 and 13 - life days
    3/14 - 6.5 miles
    3/15 - 5.1 miles
    3/16 - rest day
    3/17 - 4 miles Happy St. Patrick's Day
    3/18 - 4 miles with Skip and Macy
    3/19 - 21 life days
    3/22 - 6 miles
    3/23 - 24 - ITB
    3/25 - 2 miles

64 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

@virkati and @civicsista I love Brooks too and am now wearing the Launch 3. Check out Zappo too, not the biggest of discounts but they shipped to me overnight for free. Woohoo!
    @Stoshew71 didn't mention that if you don't sign up for the Oak Barrel race the morning it opens you don't get in, then there are no refunds and no transfer. People do their runs later in the day so they are home when it opens, it's awesome, and beautiful in that area. I think I'll try it next year, I want a jacket.
    @kristinegift you are so ready for the 4/3 HM!
    @elise4270 how is your mouth? Woohoo score on discount code!
    @mobycarp @elise4270 took the words right off my keyboard, I really enjoy reading about your runs.
    @louubelle16 I hate hats too. I volunteered at the Rocket City Marathon this year and they let me have a finisher's hat and they are really nice. Like mentioned above they are light and breath so they are okay to wear. I only wear one when it's raining. Skip will wear that same hat or a visor.
    @juliet3455 great medal
    @janeknoll1 welcome to our family!

upcoming races:
    4/3 Super Heroes 5K
    4/10 Bridge Street HM
    5/30 Cotton Row 10K
  • Virkati
    Options
    @CivicSista If you go to the Brooks website, you can compare the different shoes to each other, see which ones have the same qualities you need/want. It's possible you could get them at a retail store close to you (or online) and if you don't like them, a lot of places have a pretty generous return policy. And even if the store doesn't, the manufacturer probably does. I'm sticking to the Dyad 8 mostly because of the arch. I don't need any real support for my arches and SO many shoes provide support, and it actually messes me up. The Dyad gives me exactly what I need and nothing more!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Mouth is fine. I still feel sub-par as far as energy goes (anesthesia i guess). I'm trying not to over do it today so I can enjoy the group run tomorrow.

All this shoe talk.... I may run into town and see what the locals have. Which is never any good running shoe... But maybe they do. :)

@louubelle16 On the hat topic- I think it's Lauren Fleshman that trains in a good ol' John Deere hat. I think I saw them on the picky bar site? Maybe oiselle? It ain't pretty, but it's her go to hat.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Never posted pics before on here so not sure if this will work. This is the hill I'm working on. Anybody else get lightheaded/completely oxygen deprived on hills? LOL I made it all the way up the first time without walking but the second time I got completely psyched out and walked some. I have asthma and I have a fear of dying running uphill. Ha.

@CivicSista 7 miles left? You can do it!
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3.24.16 - 6.7 miles. TM with incline for resistance. 8:58 pace.

Upcoming Runs:
    4.3.16 - Knoxville Marathon - 3rd time
    5.1.16 - Flying Pig Marathon - 2nd time
    5.29.16 - Buffalo Marathon - 2nd time
    6.18.16 - Grandma's Marathon - 1st time & 1st 26.2 in MN.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Great read:

http://rulesforrunning.com/2014/10/28/thank-you-from-the-front-of-the-pack-to-the-back/

When Skip and I worked at the Rocket City Marathon I admit we were in awe of the runners who finished first, holy crap what times they had. But as the morning went by my awe of them turned to complete and utter amazement and more aweness (yes that's a word) for the runners coming in later. This article hits the nail on the head about what I thought. OMG to be out there running for over 4 and 5 hours (and some 6) and still coming across the line with a smile on their faces...what dedication.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Great read:

http://rulesforrunning.com/2014/10/28/thank-you-from-the-front-of-the-pack-to-the-back/

When Skip and I worked at the Rocket City Marathon I admit we were in awe of the runners who finished first, holy crap what times they had. But as the morning went by my awe of them turned to complete and utter amazement and more aweness (yes that's a word) for the runners coming in later. This article hits the nail on the head about what I thought. OMG to be out there running for over 4 and 5 hours (and some 6) and still coming across the line with a smile on their faces...what dedication.

Great read! Thanks for sharing that.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Did a little more. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    For folks who own brooks shoes, they say to go a half a size large, is that right? No where near me sells them, but with their 90 day no questions asked return policy, it is tempting to just order a pair, and see how they go...but I wear 6.5 for every thing, and the shoe only comes in 7 or bigger. Do I go for it with the half size bigger?
  • Virkati
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Thank you for that article! It made me cry. There is no one IRL that actually tells me, "You can do this. You can accomplish the half, you can do the Tri. You can finish each one." No one IRL. Except on here. Which is one reason I don't think I could ever leave this thread. You guys inspire me. You support me. You give me the advice I need for when there is literally no one else I can ask. I can't trumpet my excitement and pride when I reach a new milestone, except here. Because no one IRL actually cares or believes in me. So that article really touched my heart. It never occurred to me that the front of the pack even sees the back of the pack, nevermind giving them any thought. So that was powerful to me. Empowering even. And it tells me that yes, someone in real life DOES see how hard I'm trying.
  • Virkati
    Options
    For folks who own brooks shoes, they say to go a half a size large, is that right? No where near me sells them, but with their 90 day no questions asked return policy, it is tempting to just order a pair, and see how they go...but I wear 6.5 for every thing, and the shoe only comes in 7 or bigger. Do I go for it with the half size bigger?

I say go for it. Esp if you can return so long after purchase. My actual foot size is between a 5-6 women's. My running shoe size is usually 7.5 women (no matter the brand) so for me, the only way to know if a shoe fits is to actually put it on my feet. You've got nothing to lose for trying them out!
  • Becky71_cm
    Becky71_cm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Got a work out and run in today. Running felt amazing! I have lost enough weight now this year that I really noticed it running. I jumped back to week 4 day 1, from the week 7 day 2 I was on. It felt like the perfect spot to go back too so I will just continue from there. I think I can finally get some new running shoes since I made some extra money, I'm feeling a bit nervous about it as it's so hard to find ones that work for my feet but, I'm excited cause I know the ones I'm wearing are way too worn and it will most likely help my running to have new ones. I have notes that I have saved from some of your recommendations for near flat feet, so I will be taking those in to consideration. I should be able to go searching this weekend!

• sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    3/2 - 3 mile walk
    3/3 - 2.25 mile run
    3/6 - 2 mile run
    3/7 - 3 mile brisk walk
    3/8 - 2 mile run, 1 mile walk
    3/9 - too much lightning
    3/10 - 2 mile run, 1.25 mile walk
    3/12 - 2.5 mile run, 2 mile walk
    3/14 - strength training
    3/15 - Ow...DOMS... 1 mile run/1.5 walk
    3/17 - Planned run day but my legs were still way too sore
    3/19 - 2.5 mile run, 1.25 mile walk
    3/22 - 2.5 mile run, 1.25 mile walk
    3/25 - 3 mile run

So far - 36/50

Yikes... only 3 more planned run days. Might have to add in an extra walk or walk/run to make the last bit for March!

exercise.png

Goal/Planned Races:
    4/2/16 Stampede 5K
    7/4/16 or thereabouts - a 5K in Alaska because I can :)
    12/3/16 SA Rock N Roll - 5K/10K

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Great read:

Indeed it is a great read. I am not as fast as the author, but I share the experience of pacing the fastest group in a training program. A smaller program than his, to be sure; but there is still a crowd of runners in it.

And when I was training for my first half, my biggest inspiration was Joe. Joe was morbidly obese. He was the only trainee in the 15:00 per mile pace group. When we did the 2 mile time trial in single digit temperatures with wind and blowing snow, Joe was out there longer than anyone else . . . and he did it. I don't think Joe missed a single long run or speed workout that training cycle. I remember the coaches asking where he was, after a workout, to be sure he hadn't collapsed somewhere.

Joe had the modest goal of beating the cutoff so he would have an official time. He made that goal, by 50-some seconds. And the next time I saw him after that, he was visibly thinner.

These days, Joe is pacing the 13:00 or 14:00 per mile pace group. He still looks heavy set, but he is no longer morbidly obese. At a guess, I think he's not even in obese territory any more. I think he's still trying to take some weight off, but I have no doubt that he will succeed. And he is offering encouragement to those back of the pack runners, encouragement that means more than any I can offer because he has been there.

Joe will never be a front of the pack runner, and he may never finish in the top 50%. But he is a winner, and he is an inspiration. When I see an article like the one linked above, I can't help thinking about Joe.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Great read:

Indeed it is a great read. I am not as fast as the author, but I share the experience of pacing the fastest group in a training program. A smaller program than his, to be sure; but there is still a crowd of runners in it.

And when I was training for my first half, my biggest inspiration was Joe. Joe was morbidly obese. He was the only trainee in the 15:00 per mile pace group. When we did the 2 mile time trial in single digit temperatures with wind and blowing snow, Joe was out there longer than anyone else . . . and he did it. I don't think Joe missed a single long run or speed workout that training cycle. I remember the coaches asking where he was, after a workout, to be sure he hadn't collapsed somewhere.

Joe had the modest goal of beating the cutoff so he would have an official time. He made that goal, by 50-some seconds. And the next time I saw him after that, he was visibly thinner.

These days, Joe is pacing the 13:00 or 14:00 per mile pace group. He still looks heavy set, but he is no longer morbidly obese. At a guess, I think he's not even in obese territory any more. I think he's still trying to take some weight off, but I have no doubt that he will succeed. And he is offering encouragement to those back of the pack runners, encouragement that means more than any I can offer because he has been there.

Joe will never be a front of the pack runner, and he may never finish in the top 50%. But he is a winner, and he is an inspiration. When I see an article like the one linked above, I can't help thinking about Joe.

I love stories like that.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Look at all you rock stars meeting and exceeding your goals! I will likely not meet mine this month, as I'm still recovering from the marathon. But that's ok. I've never actually met one of my goals in this challenge--maybe next month! lol

Plan on reintroducing some easy running by middle of next week. I have an MRI scheduled on my left ankle at 7:15 Monday morning. My insurance had initially denied it, but changed their mind after my doctor--the sports medicine orthopedic surgeon--fought back. The ankle is feeling pretty good right now, but there's still significant swelling and stiffness. It did not bother me during my marathon and honestly felt better afterward than it had before. Who knows--it's all a little bizarre. Hopefully they can figure out what's wrong with it and get it fixed. It's not excruciating or extremely debilitating, but the nagging pain that comes and goes on a whim is just so frustrating!

Love the link from @skippygirlsmom . I have a friend who has run 7 marathons. Her PR is somewhere around the 6 hour range, and her most recent was just barely under the course cut-off time of 6:30 at 6:26:29. It takes her at least a month to fully recover from a marathon, but she goes out and enjoys herself. She loves the training, the races, the punishingly long runs. I'm no fast runner myself (usually finishing near the middle of the pack), but I can't imagine how difficult it is to spend so much time training each week in order to meet the mileage goals!
  • Elise4270
    Options

Half size up should be OK. I find I wear an 8 in Brooks. 8.5 in most everything else, sometimes a 9. They are an excellent company.