Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Low carb and vegetables

Options

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Nope, the garden is for me. And my cats. They like the catnip.
    Never had cats before, at least not that I know of. Let me know how it turns out.

/sarcasm
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    File:Atkins_meal.jpg
    auddii wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    So do you both form your opinions based on extremes? I certainly don't. If I did, I would think all flexible dieters eat nothing but ice cream and sweets. And considering how many members argue against those strawman comments, I would expect that the flexible dieters wouldn't do the same.

I guess the question is, if the majority of the people you know who decide to do low carb are doing it partially in order to avoid eating so many vegetables, is it actually an extreme/outlier? Or are the people posting online about low carb that advocate for eating vegetables the outliers?

Is there any credible data on that? I think we tend to forget that just like the people we see IRL everyday aren't necessarily a good measure of the rest of the population, neither are the people whose posts we see everyday.

Oh, and FTR - the few people I know who tried low carb most definitely did so with the intent of avoiding vegetables (as defined as non-starchy, etc). Which is not surprising since they just plain don't like vegetables and would do that on any diet if at all possible.

Why would they need low carb to do that?

Because at least some people interpret low carb as meaning eat as much meat and cheese as you want and it's "healthy?"

But this meatzza clearly has basil on it. Totally counts, right?

Meatzza+2.JPG

izj6a8744ocz.jpg

A balanced meal according to the Atkins Diet

Yes, but that's not what seems to be getting popular all over facebook. Which is the point. What is becoming popular is building off the concept of the diet, but is not actually following the diet, and my not be healthy.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't mean NO carb. There are a few extremists, some who call themselves carnivores or meatatarians, but that's not most of us. Anything can be taken to extremes. There's also something called the 80/10/10 diet with 80 percent carbs. There the "starch solution" which is literally nothing but starchy food. Anything can go overboard. There are CICO fundamentalists who eat almost nothing but fast food, processed food, frozen dinners, etc. Because hey, you can still lose weight, but whether you'll keep it off is another matter.

It's all about balance. One debate tactic is to pick out the extremists in a group and try to knock down the whole group based on that. Like, saying that extreme fundamentalist Christians represent all Christians. (I'm not religious myself, but just using that as an example.)
  • auddii
    Options
    OK, you all make fun of that, but if someone had a doughy pizza full of white flour and processed meat, which every health expert tells you to avoid or minimize, and chemical laden chips full of hydrogenated oil (trans fat), with no veggies at all, you'd be like "Hey it's cool just as long as it fits into your calories! There's no such thing as junk food!" But now whole meat and cheese are junk food?

Oh look. Exactly what NO ONE said. Shocking, you're just flailing around words and acting injured while missing the point entirely.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't mean NO carb. There are a few extremists, some who call themselves carnivores or meatatarians, but that's not most of us. Anything can be taken to extremes. There's also something called the 80/10/10 diet with 80 percent carbs. There the "starch solution" which is literally nothing but starchy food. Anything can go overboard. There are CICO fundamentalists who eat almost nothing but fast food, processed food, frozen dinners, etc. Because hey, you can still lose weight, but whether you'll keep it off is another matter.

It's all about balance. One debate tactic is to pick out the extremists in a group and try to knock down the whole group based on that. Like, saying that extreme fundamentalist Christians represent all Christians. (I'm not religious myself, but just using that as an example.)
    Yeah, guess what happens when the 80/10/10 raw frugivores post?
  • lisawinning4losing
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OK, you all make fun of that, but if someone had a doughy pizza full of white flour and processed meat, which every health expert tells you to avoid or minimize, and chemical laden chips full of hydrogenated oil (trans fat), with no veggies at all, you'd be like "Hey it's cool just as long as it fits into your calories! There's no such thing as junk food!" But now whole meat and cheese are junk food?

Oh look. Exactly what NO ONE said. Shocking, you're just flailing around words and acting injured while missing the point entirely.

That's exactly what people, a lot of people, say here every day, and anyone who raises an objection gets shouted down.

Oh, maybe you meant the part about whole meat and cheese being junk food. Yes, but it's said here that it should be limited. Yet oddly, anyone who says that ultra processed foods should be limited is told that they're wrong. So you should limit meat and cheese, but freely eat food loaded with HFCS and trans fats? That's what I don't understand.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So do you both form your opinions based on extremes? I certainly don't. If I did, I would think all flexible dieters eat nothing but ice cream and sweets. And considering how many members argue against those strawman comments, I would expect that the flexible dieters wouldn't do the same.

I guess the question is, if the majority of the people you know who decide to do low carb are doing it partially in order to avoid eating so many vegetables, is it actually an extreme/outlier? Or are the people posting online about low carb that advocate for eating vegetables the outliers?

Is there any credible data on that? I think we tend to forget that just like the people we see IRL everyday aren't necessarily a good measure of the rest of the population, neither are the people whose posts we see everyday.

Oh, and FTR - the few people I know who tried low carb most definitely did so with the intent of avoiding vegetables (as defined as non-starchy, etc). Which is not surprising since they just plain don't like vegetables and would do that on any diet if at all possible.

I actually dont make a judgement of a diet based on the people who "follow" the plan but rather the implementation plan established for said plan. If people who follow that diet chose to restrict a specific food group, outside of the recommendations of the plan, then its on them. But in real life, and a lot of people i know here, tend to eat more veggies on a low carb diet. I know fewer who dont eat them (2 only come to mind). And while some are more vocal, it doesnt mean, by any standard, that a diet does not encourage the eating of veggies but rather recommends particular veggies based on nutrient profiles.

And personally, i know as many high carbers who restrict or dont each veggies. I, for one, probably dont eat as many veggies as i should but thats because fruit is better and many veggies are not convient to me outside of dinner.

I also think that we should make less judgments against one diet or another based on extremes people within those diets. I think by making such judgements of a diet based on the people following them, it can and will be disingenuous.

And FTR, i know people who do flexible dieting just because it allows them to eat ice cream.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Now I have to Google a meatzza recipe. That looks delicious. And I even have a basil plant. Freshly picked basil is the best! I'll probably have a salad with low carb dressing on the side.
    You're low carb. Why do you have a garden? Oh, nevermind, it must be bait for the rabbits.

*snort*
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

That's exactly what people, a lot of people, say here every day, and anyone who raises an objection gets shouted down.

Oh, maybe you meant the part about whole meat and cheese being junk food. Yes, but it's said here that it should be limited. Yet oddly, anyone who says that ultra processed foods should be limited is told that they're wrong. So you should limit meat and cheese, but freely eat food loaded with HFCS and trans fats? That's what I don't understand.

Because it's silly to limit food based on how processed it is. It should be limited or not based on the actual food.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    I had rabbit meat once. It was actually pretty good.
  • auddii
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Yeah, guess what happens when the 80/10/10 raw frugivores post?

What, you mean this thread didn't go exactly the way the raw vegan wanted?!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329769/too-much-protein/p1

Shocked. Shocked I tell you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Not enough fat though. ;)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Spitting out the buckshot though, who ever can find the time?
  • auddii
    Options

Because at least some people interpret low carb as meaning eat as much meat and cheese as you want and it's "healthy?"

Meatzza+2.JPG

I don't usually like meat, but this looks like an exception (if I play the ground beef right with my usual additions that make it less "meaty"). Wonder how many calories a slice of that would be. Possibly 500?

I'd assume it depends on kind of meat used and percent fat. The leaner the meat, the less likely it would be to stick together. Personally, I like more veggies than that on my pizza in general. And I feel like the cheese to meat ratio is off for it to be a "pizza". More like a meatloaf with cheese on top.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options

I actually dont make a judgement of a diet based on the people who "follow" the plan but rather the implementation plan established for said plan. If people who follow that diet chose to restrict a specific food group, outside of the recommendations of the plan, then its on them. But in real life, and a lot of people i know here, tend to eat more veggies on a low carb diet. I know fewer who dont eat them (2 only come to mind). And while some are more vocal, it doesnt mean, by any standard, that a diet does not encourage the eating of veggies but rather recommends particular veggies based on nutrient profiles.

And personally, i know as many high carbers who restrict or dont each veggies. I, for one, probably dont eat as many veggies as i should but thats because fruit is better and many veggies are not convient to me outside of dinner.

I also think that we should make less judgments against one diet or another based on extremes people within those diets. I think by making such judgements of a diet based on the people following them, it can and will be disingenuous.

And FTR, i know people who do flexible dieting just because it allows them to eat ice cream.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I honestly believe that different things work for different people. Also, the best diet is the one that you can stick to, and that's going to be different for everyone, based on biological, psychological, and cultural differences between people.

• lisawinning4losing
    edited March 2016
    Options

Because it's silly to limit food based on how processed it is. It should be limited or not based on the actual food.

But then why are people saying that it's unhealthy to eat too much meat or cheese?

Also, I'm not even sure what this means. I'm saying that ultra processed food should be limited based on the actual food, which is crap.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Actually they don't. What is often said is "if it fits your macros" which is different than "if it fits your calories."

I also don't feel that anything is shouted down here. Misinformation is confronted, but that's a completely different thing.

If a calorie is a calorie, then why do macros even matter at all? Why couldn't you just eat all protein, or all carbs, or all fat? A calorie is a calorie, right?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Meatzza+2.JPG

I don't usually like meat, but this looks like an exception (if I play the ground beef right with my usual additions that make it less "meaty"). Wonder how many calories a slice of that would be. Possibly 500?

I'd assume it depends on kind of meat used and percent fat. The leaner the meat, the less likely it would be to stick together. Personally, I like more veggies than that on my pizza in general. And I feel like the cheese to meat ratio is off for it to be a "pizza". More like a meatloaf with cheese on top.

We don't have lean beef, so I'm likely to use quite a bit less meat. Being the veggie lover I am, of course I would top it with more veggies (and mushrooms). It just "looks" interesting. Just like the "cauliflower crust" looked interesting... but turned out nasty. Sadly, my dog didn't like it either, but I'm sure he would like this one if I didn't.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Not enough fat though. ;)

If I had a farm, I could fatten them up first. ;)
This discussion has been closed.