Second thoughts about surgery

Options
Not sure this is the right board for this. I have an appointment with a baratic doctor on Monday about potentially getting the vertical sleeve. But I'm having thoughts because of the cons: I can't drink from a straw anymore, dumping syndrome, the constant vomiting, always eating on a 1000-calorie or less diet. I just lost the first 15 pounds on my own (yep 5% of my starting weight) with the first 2 months of my journey. I'm happy about that but scared that I'll get too confident and slack off. Just don't know what to do. Surgery is such a big step.

Replies

• abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Why don´t you go to the appointment and hear what advice, pros and cons the doctor can give you. Even if he tells you ok ... you can take time and reconsider. Surgery ... I know it´s a big step. In my life it would not be the answer. I would not accept the cons or the risks. For some people surgery is the way to save them selfes. Take the time you need to allow yourself to decide. Don´t feel you have to rush into it. perhaps you need time to see if you can lose to normal bmi without the surgery. Perhaps that´s not possible and for healthreasons you need the weighloss. Step 1 to talk to the doctor is safe to take. ;-)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    surgery is not a magic solution. invest your time and money learning nutrition and fitness and you can achieve the same goals without surgery. Surgery wont change you, but changing you will change you. Weightloss and achieving a healthy body is a lifestyle change.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I will add a third (fourth, fifth) thought - surgery will change your stomach, but for permanent weight loss, what you really need to change is your habits and your attitudes. Seems like that process has already started. You can do this!
  • BeeRodMul
    BeeRodMul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I guess the doubts began when I saw the replies here on MFP when someone's insurance denied for surgery after losing 40 pounds during the require 3-month hospital program. My husband is supportive but hope surgery isn't needed. My mom just want me to lose the weight at all costs.

The main problem I suffer since the last time I used MFP was that once I'm triggered by something, I give up and start eating junk. I lost weight before my wedding until one of my BMs said something before our RD that got me upset and then I let go again.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Surgery saved my husband's life. If you have serious health issues that need to be addressed immediately and you know you don't have the willpower to do it on your own through diet and exercise, then yes I highly recommend it. However, you've gotten a taste of what you can do and you've seen plenty of examples on here. I agree you need to fix the underlying eating issues to be truly successful. It helped my husband drop 100lbs rapidly. But he's still overweight and has learned how to cheat it. He's not in imminent danger anymore, but would be better off if he followed the rules and exercised. But he doesn't have that interest, so at least it has prevented him from gaining too much back. But he throws up almost every meal from trying to force himself to eat things he shouldn't.
  • abelcat1
    Options
    I don´t think your mom knows all the risks you face doing the surgery. I´m pretty sure she prefer you to be a curvy healthy woman over you being slim and suffering *the-worse-case-scenarios* of surgery. PS.. surgery will not cure all your insensitive relatives and friends... ;-) you still have to deal with them ;-)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Please gain inspiration from others here and do this without surgery.
    All the answers are here.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have had the surgery. For all of them it helped at first, but over time quite a few of them ended up right back at their original weight and had stretched their stomach back out. They didn't take the lifestyle changes to heart. The ones it worked for long term are the ones that took the lifestyle to heart, kept going to the aftercare classes, and kept really monitoring intake.
    I wouldn't say don't have the surgery, but it isn't going to magically give you willpower and habits you need. If you are starting to get them on your own you may want to give yourself more time, spend the money on some counseling to see why you are letting outside influences dictate how you eat.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I do not know enough about the OPs situation to offer advice. I would be interested to hear what information or expertise, or credentials others have where they feel qualified to weigh in on such an important decision.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BR527 wrote: »
    I guess the doubts began when I saw the replies here on MFP when someone's insurance denied for surgery after losing 40 pounds during the require 3-month hospital program. My husband is supportive but hope surgery isn't needed. My mom just want me to lose the weight at all costs.

The main problem I suffer since the last time I used MFP was that once I'm triggered by something, I give up and start eating junk. I lost weight before my wedding until one of my BMs said something before our RD that got me upset and then I let go again.

Ask yourself this, will surgery fix the underlying issues here?
    My guess is probably not. Have you tried finding another outlet for when you are upset?

**I'm not against surgery. I just think it's important to remember that it doesn't really make it easier and it won't fix things like emotional or boredom eating.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Surgery isn't going to stop this from happening.
  • abelcat1
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

I do not know enough about the OPs situation to offer advice. I would be interested to hear what information or expertise, or credentials others have where they feel qualified to weigh in on such an important decision.
    No one here is claiming to be experts. We offer our thoughts to a member who is asking. Nothing more! Take a chillpill. We are only offering friendly responses.

• TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    If you have questions or need a different perspective please feel free to msg me. I've had success and failure with the gastric sleeve.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's risky, life-altering (positive AND negative), but if you're in serious peril with your health because of your weight, it could be what you need to get you going. As long as you're aware that it won't cure you of your old habits or force a permanent calorie restriction, you at least have the right attitude going into the process. Talk to the doc about what causes you to overeat, because that will have to change regardless of which path you choose.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

The OP asked the community for opinions. We're giving them.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    It is a huge step and you shouldn't go through with it if you have doubts. There is nothing wrong with getting more information though.

To force a nutritional restriction for the rest of your life is a risky thing. If you can control your diet sufficiently on your own, why not do that?

The binge eating is an emotional problem--you aren't going to fix it with a physical solution.
  • BeeRodMul
    BeeRodMul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Please, stop arguing! I appreciate both sides of the story. I just need some direction on what I should ask my doctor on Monday.

Anyway, I do realize the biggest problem on why I gain weight is triggers. Whenever I lose weight, someone or something happens. And I reach for my safety net. One of the most insensitive comments recently came from my mom. She's said, "if you're not eating so much, why are you still obese?" At that moment I had to tell her that if she continue to make stupid comments instead of just support me and do my thing, then I wouldn't be so "obese".
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Not sure this is the right board for this. I have an appointment with a baratic doctor on Monday about potentially getting the vertical sleeve. But I'm having thoughts because of the cons: I can't drink from a straw anymore, dumping syndrome, the constant vomiting, always eating on a 1000-calorie or less diet. I just lost the first 15 pounds on my own (yep 5% of my starting weight) with the first 2 months of my journey. I'm happy about that but scared that I'll get too confident and slack off. Just don't know what to do. Surgery is such a big step.

@BR527 check out the group below since you are required to go low carb for it to work. Some posting there are pro and others are con after the surgery. Best of success in your decision and it is your body so do the research and go with what you think is best for you.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Life is going to happen, no matter what you weigh. People are going to utter insensitive remarks, on purpose and not on purpose. In many cases, your interpretation is what will determine how you react. I think working with feelings and thought processes is necessary, regardless of surgery or not. Have you considered therapy? Talking to someone about what's going on inside you? Building confidence and assertiveness, and learning more effective strategies are useful lifeskills, not just to handle food issues.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    IMO... Don't do it. It has risks, and in the end you will have to learn to eat in moderation anyway...