Why do people on Myfitnesspal ask for motivation and support?

Options

Replies

• m_johannes
    m_johannes Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about having active people to communicate on a daily basis. Personally, I don't need people posting on my wall every day, reminding me to exercise or whatever. The true motivation comes from simple, every day interaction with people who have similar goals. When I see a friend log a workout, it kinda gives me a little nudge that says, "Hey, you should workout too!"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Some of you seem to think I am irritated by these people who want motivation and support. Which isn't the case at all. I thought goals should be self-driven instead of asking for people to support them in their goals. I always been better working at things on my own, but I guess it all boils down to people just being different. Based on the responses here, most disagree with me and some agree, but at the end of the day I guess go for whatever works in your fitness journey.

It boggles my mind when people refer to life and fitness as a "journey."

pu4c9oboblew.jpeg
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It boggles my mind how many people like to bogle on here.

1H9YLDG.gif

United colours of MFP...
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Some of you seem to think I am irritated by these people who want motivation and support. Which isn't the case at all. I thought goals should be self-driven instead of asking for people to support them in their goals. I always been better working at things on my own, but I guess it all boils down to people just being different. Based on the responses here, most disagree with me and some agree, but at the end of the day I guess go for whatever works in your fitness journey.

A person can have self-created and self-driven goals AND find the support of others uplifting and encouraging. The fact that you don't understand this suggests to me that you are 1) extraordinarily good at pushing through challenges without any support, 2) receive and accept support in your life without realizing how it benefits you, or 3) incredibly lucky to have never been beaten down by life and needed the support of others to help you get through with your sanity.

If you can meet the goals and challenges in your life without needing the support of others, then great!
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    People have different needs - and people's needs change with time/experience.

I've attended weight loss groups where I waited on line to be 'weighed in'. It was public accountability. I've attended groups whose focus was on the root of overeating - no food plan but an emotional/spiritual/physical approach to overeating. I've also told close friends/posted my weight loss on sites including MFP for accountability.

All those things worked for me at some point. And I might return to them as I find them helpful. It's like having a toolbox filled with the right tools for the right job. I'm private and don't like to announce my dieting/weight loss experience to the world...just a few choice people in channels that work for me.

You do the same thing. Everyone is on their life journey. Do what is healthy and works for you. Try not to judge others - we all have something that we logically know we shouldn't do but we gravitate towards it anyhow.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I support you OP

This is why we can't have nice things!!!!!

LMAO
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am just curious why someone would even join MFP if not for some sort of support or information gathering. If you were just using it to document food and for the fancy articles....why even put up a profile picture.....
  • Lowell_H
    Lowell_H Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You were seeking attention in posting this thread. Period. So, if you don't see that, it appears The Light of Self-Knowledge isn't shining as brightly in you as you think.
  • kelisueray
    kelisueray Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This post reads like a teen who's not taken a basic psychology class.

why don't they let us "like" comments yet? Yes, this ^
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    12338832_949246125111486_2013273749_n.jpg
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I did think the OP looked about 15. Now I'm beginning to wonder if he is.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10361171/ugh

Look at my profile, It clearly says I am 20 years old.

c3f8wh6xxcik.gif
  • Kittyr321
    Kittyr321 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to know that we are not alone in our struggles, be it weight loss or any other struggle. I just celebrated 5 years of sobriety on Saint Patricks Day and I could not do it alone, though I did try many times. I always considered myself to be a strong independent person. It's kind of what got me in trouble with drugs in the first place, because I thought I was above becoming addicted. Food can be just another addiction, and that is how I am treating it. I know from experience that I have a much higher chance of being successful if I incorporate a support group. Thanks for being here ya all!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What gets me is when people post despairing threads about their partners "sabotaging" their weight loss, by not changing their eating and exercise habits to go along with the person who wants to lose weight. I like some love and support, on MFP and off it, but no one else is responsible for my choices.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    hzl22 wrote: »
    Must be lonely in your perfect little world.. Good luck with them social skills..

^THIS!!!

And I don't care how intelligent you may or may not be but it's priceless to be able to share information with others and learn from their experiences. A lot of people asking for help have a lot of weight to lose and that takes months or even years of hard work and dedication. I'm guessing that you must have joined up to lose about 5 lbs and did it pretty quickly and easily so you think anyone can do it on their own. My online friends here are often closer to me than people in "real" life simply because we are all going through the same struggle together. We know what it's like to have an unsupportive spouse, tempting sweets at work, and not being able to talk about our struggle with other people because everyone thinks losing weight is easy until they have to do it.

I honestly hate that I even gave in to this troll post of yours but, as a major introvert in real life, even I understand the true value of being part of something that changes so many of our lives.
  • LotusFlowerOm
    LotusFlowerOm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

It boggles my mind when people refer to life and fitness as a "journey."

pu4c9oboblew.jpeg

Don't stop believing......
    In yourself
  • Wiz_Joe
    Wiz_Joe Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Since I joined, I have seen numerous threads on Myfitnesspal asking for motivation and support for losing weight, gaining weight, or whatever it may be, but if they truly wanted to accomplish their fitness goals, they shouldn't need any one to encourage them on. Shouldn't the encouragement and determination already be predestined and come from within/themselves? It just boggles my mind a bit.
    nvqxii0i6vkv.jpeg

• RainDrops930
    RainDrops930 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Social support is helpful to many people, and scientists have studied the role of social support in many aspects of life, such as motivation and stress. Personally, I feel that these groups are helpful because it makes me feel not so alone on this journey, and that things I am struggling with are also things that others are struggling with. We can talk about things that work for us/don't work for us, and can get some words of encouragement. Below is an article that shows one example of the role of social support in weight loss:

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/ccp/67/1/132/
  • MegMalin
    MegMalin Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You are on here asking for support / answers for your opinion it seems. Ironic.
  • MegMalin
    MegMalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :smiley:
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I like you!