March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I think running gets more complicated the more I think about it. It's hard changing my philosophy from just ru to something more structured. I'm already at 4 days a week, but with how I'm feeling, I have a suspicion I'll be wanting to go to 5 (or 1-2 two-a-days) when school's out for summer.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just an easy run today. I rolled my ankle at a gig on Saturday and it hurt when running on Sunday, so today was a test. It felt much better today, so hopefully an easier week and it won't bother me at all for my half marathon on Sunday.

1st March - 3.03 miles
    3rd March - 4.03 miles
    6th March - 9.13 miles
    8th March - 3.30 miles
    12th March - 10.28 miles
    17th March - 3.77 miles
    19th March - 6.22 10km race PR!
    21st March - 3.06 miles
    25th March - 4.06 miles
    26th March - 4.15 miles
    27th March - 6.02 miles
    29th March - 3.05 miles

MTD - 60.1/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm not training for a race, have never ran a race, and don't intend to ever run a race. So it's a little hard for me to figure out what I'm doing and why. I honestly just started running because it was the next thing after walking so much to lose weight and doing other indoor aerobics. I still just run as part of a well-rounded active lifestyle. I had originally thought that I'd probably max out at 6 miles/1 hour long runs this spring but since I've slowed down and quit killing myself with running so fast, I can now kinda think of 5 miles as not a big deal, which leaves me wondering how far to take the long run? Do I even NEED a long run if I'm not training for anything? I kinda think I want to run 10 miles but not for any reason. I just like being challenged. Just rambling here.....
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree Short answer: No

If you just run to run just run. Don't run too hard everytime and listen to your body. That's it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Truth be told, it is only as complicated as you allow it to be when comparing so many training options and various advice from various sources. :smile: The trick is to figure out what your goals are (even if it is just run to lose weight) and find the method/plan you think will best match up to your goals, and get some second and third opinions perhaps just to see if other feedback helps persuade or dissuade you from your plan. It would probably not make sense for @greenolivetree to do a bunch of base building to run crazy miles each week if that is not the goal. And the amount required to be qualified as "crazy miles" is purely subjective. :wink: Likewise, many people, myself included, have run their first half marathon with something like the Hal Higdon program. I guess I was only rambling (I posted too much looking back) because in hindsight I would have rather done things differently starting out than how I did. :smile: But my goals may not match up with others so that experience may not apply.

Oddly enough, I only started running because walking was no longer a challenge and I only wanted to lose weight. I only signed up for a 10k because I was had converted my regular 6 mile walks to a combo of walking and running. It was only after running that full 10k with no walking (to my surprise) that I figured I would tackle a half. And it was only after that first half, recovering to run again the way I had before, and running slower/easier as described a few posts up that I ever considered a full. At this point, I have no idea where running is taking me, but I do have plans for this year that I hope to complete. :smile: There was a point building up to all that where the time and money invested in running helped me commit to it more than originally planned. Plus, I feel great!

Next year...who knows? Maybe try an ultra? Maybe do more of the same? Maybe give it all up and start knitting? I have no idea.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    crazy as it is, I'm seriously thinking about adding another day per week, just a short mileage day so I can have a little cushion for adding mileage, with my current Sun/Tu/Th/Sat schedule, I'm thinking about adding a W run and keeping it 1-2 miles shorter than the other not-long-run days
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So today I did 16.4mi on the 25k course that I'm running next weekend. It's called Beginners Luck 25k. Was hoping the winds would have died down (60mph yesterday in LV), but NOOO. I got to the trailhead, opened my door and nearly ripped my arm off lol. Can't change the weather, so I just put on my hydration vest and started running. Felt like I was going backwards the headwind was so strong. I was leaning so far forward just to make forward progress haha. The temps were fantastic though, 44F at the start, hands were feeling numb by mile 4. Ate 2 cliff bars and had a bottle of gatorade and water. Was plenty for today. Place is usually busy, but I only saw 2 other runners the whole time. All in all good trail running stimulus. Wish it wasn't forecast to be 88f for the race though. I could blow up and run slower lol. Oh well. Now going to kill a whole pizza like it's a bagel bite :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/530014115

3/1 15 easy
    3/3 20 easy LSD
    3/7 easy 2mi @ 7:45/mi
    3/11 easy 5k (8:04/mi)
    *3/12 easy 6.2mi mtn
    3/14 5.3mi progressive @ 8:07mi
    3/15 3.1 eas @ 9:07
    3/18 3.6mi rest
    3/19 2mi rest
    3/20 5.3mi progressive @ 7:32mi
    3/21 1mi rest
    3/22 7.2mi tempo @ 8:20
    3/25 10mi tempo @ 8:36
    3/27 3.4mi
    3/29 16.4mi Trail run with 1,788ft vertical (10:45/mi avg)

Total: 103.6/150mi

Upcoming races:
    4/9: Beginners Luck 25k Trail
    5/7: REVEL MTCharelston Marathon
    6/4: Twilight and Beyond 50k
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys...now to throw a wrench into it, because I really jive with the rule of no more than 30% weekly distance for a long run. I was looking at the hal Higdon half marathon Novice 1 and 2 plans, and at the end, the long runs are 40-50% of the weekly total. Is this because it's specifically leading up to a race? I was always kind of curious as to how those could break that rule.

Funny you mentioned that...

http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/02/my-gripes-on-training-plans.html

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I just bookmarked your blog. I think my current problem is that I may have set too "easy" a goal, I have 25 weeks to prepare for my half marathon, and I have no clue how to do prep that long, which is a gripe of mine about training plans, they are just the build up, and don't give guidance on base building and maintaining in the long run. Currently I'm trying to find a happy medium that I can do for the next 8-9 weeks so I am in good shape to begin dedicated race training, or find a way to make up a plan that gets me to race day, starting now.
  • greenolivetree
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning The knitting comment made me laugh.

I really just run because I love being active. I still enjoy a walk. Strength train 3 times a week. And add in other odd workouts here and there. I love accomplishing new distance or new speed in running just like I love finding out I can lift a heavier weight strength training. People say I'm addicted to exercise and okay, yeah, so I am. So I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing :-D
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I really just run because I love being active. I still enjoy a walk. Strength train 3 times a week. And add in other odd workouts here and there. I love accomplishing new distance or new speed in running just like I love finding out I can lift a heavier weight strength training. People say I'm addicted to exercise and okay, yeah, so I am. So I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing :-D

I would say that you are just addicted to life.
  • Stoshew71
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Double post. Nothing to see here. Move along!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I would say that you are just addicted to life.

Thank you, I love this comment :-D
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not training for a race, have never ran a race, and don't intend to ever run a race. So it's a little hard for me to figure out what I'm doing and why. I honestly just started running because it was the next thing after walking so much to lose weight and doing other indoor aerobics. I still just run as part of a well-rounded active lifestyle. I had originally thought that I'd probably max out at 6 miles/1 hour long runs this spring but since I've slowed down and quit killing myself with running so fast, I can now kinda think of 5 miles as not a big deal, which leaves me wondering how far to take the long run? Do I even NEED a long run if I'm not training for anything? I kinda think I want to run 10 miles but not for any reason. I just like being challenged. Just rambling here.....

@greenolivetree - Not everyone wants to run a race, and not everyone who wants to run a race wants to run it as fast as they possibly can. However, most of the research is motivated by the goal of running a race as fast as possible. When that's not your goal, you need to be aware of the backdrop to the discussion and be prepared to discard the parts that aren't helpful to you.

The part of the discussion that is most applicable to someone who just wants to run and wants to avoid injury is the stuff dealing with lactate threshold, keeping the long run slow, and keeping most of the running easy. The more miles you run, the more important this stuff is, even if you never run a race.

When I was a newbie runner, I ran myself into injury with a long run of less than 10 miles and total weekly volume of less than 25 miles. I increased mileage too quickly, and I ran everything at what I now perceive to be my lactate threshold. That's a very natural pace to run, and I might have got away with it if I never ran more than 5 miles at a time or more than 4 days a week. But Mr. Testosterone was always urging me to do more, go faster. The people who program running apps listen to Mr. Testosterone, and set all the goals for faster, harder, and longer.

My number one goal is to avoid injury and keep running at least 3 days a week. If I want to do that, I need to run slower than I can most of the time. Running slower is also vital if I want to run for over an hour at a time. Every once in a while, I need to stop and remind myself that avoiding injury so I can keep running regularly is top priority. I can get caught up in targeting a finish at Boston that will re-qualify for Boston and get me into Chicago without having to go through the lottery . . . but that is lower priority than avoiding injury. If I need to run Boston slow to avoid injury, that's what I should do.

To answer your (possibly rhetorical) question, no, you don't need a long run if all you want to do is run regularly. You may want to have a long run, and that's okay. I like long runs. I find them pleasant, and would continue to run them even if I had no races on the horizon. If you feel the same way, the long run is worth running for its own sake. OTOH, if you find that after you've been running an hour you're looking forward to when you can quit, the long run is probably not your cup of tea.

There are many kinds of runners. I am a distance runner, by which I mean a 5K is a short race to me. A couple years ago, I met a guy at a 5K who was running a 5K every weekend. He wasn't interested in any longer distance. Some people do walk/run intervals for whatever distances they enter races. Some enter races as social events, to run and chat with their friends while making no attempt to be as fast as possible. And some just like to run and don't want to bother with the organizational hassle of races. It's all good, and it's okay for your to take some time to figure out what kind of runner you are.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @MobyCarp I did the same thing last year and had my 5k time down 8:08 pace. I always ran as hard and fast as I could. And got injured. This year I have slowed it down and allowed myself to be okay with 10 min miles.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    So, y'all. I made a running blog a while ago, and now I have a few posts on it so I've deemed it shareable. My latest post is about setting goals for races and how I'm bad at it but trying to get better. Take a look if you want to/have some time/want to procrastinate! https://shesagift.wordpress.com/
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @ROBOTFOOD Did I read that right? 60 miles per hour winds?!?! That's gonna make me reconsider the "Woe is me!" sentiment regarding my 20-30 mph wind forecast for my race on Sunday!

@MNLittleFinn I used to run a Sun/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sat plan. And my dad still does, diligently, to this day. I've found that a different rotation works best for me, but S/T/W/T/S is a great place to start. The best way to do it is to just do it and see if it works. Make a schedule for April -- which will help you pick a goal for next month's challenge! -- and if it needs to be tweaked, tweak it.

How long have you been running for? You got way more miles in this month than you expected, but I just want to warn you to take it slow! Right now, adding a mile to your midweek runs PLUS adding another run... just be cautious. If your body tells you to stop or back off, do it. You don't want to get this excited about running only to get injured a few weeks or months down the line because you tried to do too much too fast!

@greenolivetree If you wanna run 10 miles, work up to 10 miles and go for it! It doesn't need to be for a race if you just want to set your own challenges. I admire the people who can run without a race dangling like a carrot out in front of them. Without races, I'd never push myself this hard! Or at all!!
  • Stoshew71
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Truth be told, it is only as complicated as you allow it to be when comparing so many training options and various advice from various sources. :smile: The trick is to figure out what your goals are (even if it is just run to lose weight) and find the method/plan you think will best match up to your goals, and get some second and third opinions perhaps just to see if other feedback helps persuade or dissuade you from your plan. It would probably not make sense for @greenolivetree to do a bunch of base building to run crazy miles each week if that is not the goal. And the amount required to be qualified as "crazy miles" is purely subjective. :wink: Likewise, many people, myself included, have run their first half marathon with something like the Hal Higdon program. I guess I was only rambling (I posted too much looking back) because in hindsight I would have rather done things differently starting out than how I did. :smile: But my goals may not match up with others so that experience may not apply.

Oddly enough, I only started running because walking was no longer a challenge and I only wanted to lose weight. I only signed up for a 10k because I was had converted my regular 6 mile walks to a combo of walking and running. It was only after running that full 10k with no walking (to my surprise) that I figured I would tackle a half. And it was only after that first half, recovering to run again the way I had before, and running slower/easier as described a few posts up that I ever considered a full. At this point, I have no idea where running is taking me, but I do have plans for this year that I hope to complete. :smile: There was a point building up to all that where the time and money invested in running helped me commit to it more than originally planned. Plus, I feel great!

Next year...who knows? Maybe try an ultra? Maybe do more of the same? Maybe give it all up and start knitting? I have no idea.

I also think this (the bolded stuff including the knitting comment) is all funny. because that is kind of where I am (believe it or not). When i first started, i was also lifting. Some how lifting went to the way side and running became more important. sort of like my experiences in the past where I was excited to lift for like... maybe 8 months. Then back to the couch. Running stuck for some reason. The running challnges I started here and the other runners I met here. Then the races and finally my local running group (actual humans as opposed to message boards). When I decided to run a marathon, it was supposed to be a one and done. Then I will go back to lifting. I remember asking someone, (If running burns a lot of calories and you need calories to get big from lifting then how do you mix the 2?) The response: You pick one or the other. So my compromise was, run this marathon then go back to lifting. Well, then came this weird obsession to make it to Boston one day and... well here I am. I have no clue what I will do once I actually BQ and run Boston. I am certainly not making it to the Olympic Qualifying Trials. And running changed my whole social life.

I moved here to Alabama from NJ like 4 and a half years ago. I had no friends really. I didn't hang out with anyone from work. And I work with some really great people, it's just that once 5:00 hits, everyone is off doing their own thing. People in church are nice. We did "small groups". But... well, it's not the social life we wanted. Then came running. After running my first half marathon and I got curious about running a full. I found the We Run Huntsville facebook site. It's basically the FB page that is all about running in our community. We are up to 5,161 members right now. They advertise all the local races and all the local running groups and... everything related to running. Sort of like this thread on steroids but for people that live near Huntsville, AL. On there I found my first group run. It was the Tuesday group run that met at Brueggers Bagels at OMG 5:15 in the morning? I was so nervous going there. OMG these people are going to embarass me as a runner. To my surprise, they were friendly and I stayed with the lead pack. it was pretty cool, and fun. They invited me to the Thursday morning run that met a Panera Bread. OK! Cool! Who knew that these people would become so close and were actually cool to hang out with. They had a saying. We are a drinking club that has a running problem. The group announced meets at various restaurants and bars (the Huntsville area had a spring up of local microbrewry pubs in the past 4 years) and off course we met as a group to many of them. We just had a thing Thursday night last week at Rocket Republic. We have an annual Christmas Party. Every summer, the leader of our Thursday run invites us over for a pool party. And our group sponsors aid runs at many of the local races. So yeah, running changed my social life. Literally like almost over night. No wonder it was the thing that stuck for me.

^^^^ I may have just half written my next blog. LOL
  • kristinegift
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Your paragraph about running community in Huntsville sounds so much like my experience in Princeton! My first year here I hated it because I didn't have any friends (my grad department is super fragmented), but now I am about to graduate and don't want to leave because I have made so many friends through our Run Around Princeton group and the Pacers Princeton group runs! When you have Running People, it makes it so much more rewarding because there's so much support and encouragement there.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I hate spider webs.

Mostly because spiders live in them.

But even more so because I feel like spiders are on me all day when web is clinging to me, or feels like it's clinging to me.

And trail runners aren't supposed to be bothered by spyder webz.:scream:

And I'm not scared....

I just dislike it to the highest power.
    Had to LOL at this. I need to arrange to sit around you with an adult beverage and bask in your wit sometime. :smile: