I poop once every 4 days, is that normal ?!

Options

Replies

• Stixx28
    Stixx28 Posts: 55
    Options
    You need a magazine rack in your bathroom. Works for me. :)

Serious, listen to the people on here, cuz that aint good!
  • PATRHONA
    PATRHONA Posts: 7
    Options
    ..........got to go in before it can come out !
  • reemalali
    reemalali Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well The magazines rack worked,

I ate 1500 Calories today,
    I went to the bathroom =))

But I am still feeling kind of heavy !!

Hope that things will get better,
    Thanks everyone =))
  • Bigmagus
    Bigmagus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I don`t feel bad now. I too am on a 900 to 1000 calorie per day diet. Protein, fruits and veggies...NO CARBS! I have about 150 lbs. to go still and am losing 12.5 to 15 lbs. per month. I was getting worried because I used to poop every day. Now, I only go about every 4th day. I don`t feel constipated or uncomfortable for that matter. I have been couch bound because of bad back, shoulders, heart, and weight. I am incorporating 30 minutes of weight lifting. I must be very careful with cardio because my ticker is in delicate shape. I`ve lost 30 lbs. in the last 7 and a half weeks. I guess there is just no poop to poop out. :blush:
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Medically, there is a wide range that is considered normal for BM frequency. I've seen the range as 1-3 and also 1-4 days. You're not eating very much, and less bulk = smaller BMs, and depending on other factors, could mean less frequency. Is this a new thing that just started happening, did you used to go more frequently?

Also examine the consistency visually - if you strain to void it and it's super dense, your probably dehydrated, or you may have slow motility (move through intestines slower) which will cause it to move slower. Of course, if this is something that is not normal your best bet is to see a doctor.

Regarding laxative advice - avoid stimulant laxatives as they can cause permenant damage. If you absolutely must use a laxative, Miralax is one of the few that is safe to take on a regular basis. You can also take magnesium citrate suppliments. Both of those work by pulling water into your colon, thus causing things to move.

Regarding 1000 cal/day - are you certain you are not eating more? Are you weighing your food? If your logging is strict and you are weighing your food, you are doing your body a disservice by eating so little, especially excersizing as much as you do. Good luck!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Necro thread.

But I don't understand how you say you eat no carbs but you eat veggies and fruits. Those are carbs.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    reemalali wrote: »
    I burn about 900 calories every time I work out,
    how many calories should I have ?!

Wow!!! How are you doing that? That's a lot of calories which take a lot of time to burn -- and five days a week. I can only wish I had that much time for exercise.
  • dmack073082
    dmack073082 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

reemalali wrote: »
    I poop once every 4 days, i eat about 1000 calories per day and i go to the gym 5 days/week,

I also noticed that when I work out I hardly sweat, even when I run !

Please advise me, what is wrong with me ?!

You are not getting enough fiber. This is dangerous. Also when you poop, check out what it looks like. It may sound gross, but our waste tells us some very insightful things about our health.
    http://www.mamanatural.com/great-poop-looks-like/
  • meredithdelcastillo
    meredithdelcastillo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one said drink a cup of coffee. That's always had my bowels in an uproar lol
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't apply to this person, y'all!! Please stop thinking it's a thing.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bran-buds or Fibre-one every day for breakfast. I was like you, 1 bowel movement every 4 to 5 days. Started with the high fibre cereal in the morning and I already drank a lot of water. Now I am regular and go every day and sometimes twice. I cannot say enough good things about getting enough fibre.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It could be normal for you, but techinically everyone is suppose to have a BM after every meal.. but 4 days is alittle too long atleast every other day .. You need to increase your water and fiber intake plus lots of veggies

three times per day to three times per week is 'normal'. but normal is subjective - have you always only pooed every 4 or so days?
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    actually - not a dr however I've spent a hell of a lot of time in colorectal surgery wait rooms due to my health.

what I've learned is some people go more than others and even once a week is fine if that's what you've always been like.

HOWEVER BM changes that are recent and last more than 3 weeks need investigating. Blood even if only once needs investigating immediately.

don't even get me started on your diet and calories though.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Given that the OP had this problem 4 years ago and hasn't posted since she either resolved her problem....

Or didn't.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Actually one bowel movement every four days is some peoples norms. It's not abnormal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Bigmagus wrote: »
    Well I don`t feel bad now. I too am on a 900 to 1000 calorie per day diet. Protein, fruits and veggies...NO CARBS! I have about 150 lbs. to go still and am losing 12.5 to 15 lbs. per month. I was getting worried because I used to poop every day. Now, I only go about every 4th day. I don`t feel constipated or uncomfortable for that matter. I have been couch bound because of bad back, shoulders, heart, and weight. I am incorporating 30 minutes of weight lifting. I must be very careful with cardio because my ticker is in delicate shape. I`ve lost 30 lbs. in the last 7 and a half weeks. I guess there is just no poop to poop out. :blush:

Like the original poster from four years ago, you're not eating enough. As a man, you should be eating at least 1500 calories per day.

Rapid weight loss

...Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

Read more: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/rapid-weight-loss?page=2
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Bigmagus wrote: »

Like the original poster from four years ago, you're not eating enough. As a man, you should be eating at least 1500 calories per day.

Rapid weight loss

...Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

Read more: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/rapid-weight-loss?page=2

This.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I generally go 3-4 days between BM's. I'm not worried about it. I'm not gassy and never feel constipated, that's just how my body works. When I'm not watching what I eat I will go more frequently, but I think that is due to volume more than anything else.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    blynn2708 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with taking a laxative if you don't go. I do on a regular basis, and have for about ten years. If I don't, I won't go for five days. Stress usually does that to me. But there are many reasons for it. Take a laxative. You will feel so much better and regular.

Again, NO NO NO NO NO NO. Some laxatives can cause permanent damage to your mesenteric plexus (nerves that stimulate bowel contraction). As I said before, if pooping once every four days bothers you, drink lots of water and incorporate stool bulking agents into your diet (ie fiber). There are an array of fiber supplements out there in the forms of tablets, chewables and drink powders. You need to add bulk to stimulate your bowel to move, not take a laxative.
    This scares me a bit as I have been taking Senokot S for about 2 yrs now, 3 every night so I can poop! I have told my doctor but he doesn't seem too concerned about it. I tried more fiber and water, prunes, prune juice, flax seed, whole and crushed, ex lax, but it all makes me worse...I went 2 weeks one time without pooping!

I know so many people who ruined their digestive system with senekot. 3 every night is A LOT. I am really surprised your doctor is okay with it. " Senna is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth long-term or in high doses. Don't use senna for more than two weeks. Longer use can cause the bowels to stop functioning normally and might cause dependence on laxatives."

But if your doctor is okay with it, there must be a good reason for it. (Unless he is just not educated on the side effects, which even good doctors can lack knowledge in some areas)