WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,591 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    morning peeps -
    supposed to be nice again, another ride home, HOPEFULLY, the wind won't be there :0/

going to ride home from work today. supposed to be nice again. looks like it might be a 1000 calorie burn day!

lilymay2 - have a great time on your vaca!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh Lordy, big mistake. I haven't been here in two days. No way I'll catch up. :)
    Raining in the Houston area. Dreary and overcast but warm.
    Think I'll plant a couple of orange trees today.
    Biggest plans are to spend a portion of the day glazing. I have tons of bisque that needs to be done and fired. I have told myself no more building and throwing until my glaze work is done.

Marcelyn in the Houston area
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Michele: I've done a little dietary sinning lately, too. Cookies. :embarassed: They're out of the house, now. :ohwell:

calefor: Barbie is an expert in counting steps with a pedometer. MFP has a lot of exercises already calculated for you under the section "add exercise." Walking is there & I simply enter the rate, such as 3 mph, or whatever, and number of minutes. It works well enough. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Good luck with the ambien. I hope you get some rest. :smiley:

janetr: We recently renewed out passports & had our photos taken at Walmart. They aren't flattering or works of art, but they do the job. :ohwell:

Betty: It seems Heather has inspired a few of us. I've been learning Spanish on Duolingo. I'm having fun, but I doubt l would learn much by eavesdropping on people conversing in Spanish. Spanish is fast & my brain is not. :laugh:

Leonora: My house is also full of things that belonged to my mom that I'm holding onto for my kids. There is an oriental carved trunk they both want, a piano my daughter wanted at one time, but I don't know about now, and a grandmother clock that neither wants. The grandmother clock was dedicated to my son, and it is his, like it or not. :devil:

Yoga today! Yay!!!!! This is one of my favorite instructors and I always feel like the class is worthwhile. I've noticed that my shoulders are both aching lately, and I suspect they're grumpy about the fall last January when I broke my wrist. DH says it is because I have lousy posture. He wants me to work with an exercise ball. I'm willing.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Oh joy. I hate pics of myself.

Janetr okc

Phooey! We saw photos of you recently on vacation ... You will rock the photo!

Betty ... Glad to hear daughter plans to visit!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Cheri, I love that. I may print it out and hang on fridge and pantry!

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla, very true not like anyone much is going to see a passport picture. :) I haven't been to Mexico since they started requiring a passport to re-enter.

Janetr okc
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE – Good luck on the decision to take the supervisor job. On one hand, it can be hard to clean up a mess someone else has made. On the other hand, you know enough about the job that you can recognize this person made errors in judgement which indicates you have a good idea of what the job entails. Makes me think you could be good at it if you want the responsibility and have the backing from upper management to do what is needed.

DJ – A stone is 14 lbs. I reading about your new faucet. I like the look of those faucets where you pull down the sprayer. Great idea to put a soap dispenser where the old sprayer was. Makes me want to talk to DH about the possibility of doing that for our house.

Cheri Fairlawn, oHIo – Your crochet work is beautiful. I am trying to teach myself how to crochet from a book. Not an easy task. So I really appreciate seeing the work of someone who knows what they are doing.

Lenora – Merriweather has an appointment for a bath and clipping tomorrow. I am so looking forward to a clean, sweet smelling, fluffy dog. I’m feeling a bit envious of you having Cracker already groomed. Merri is so funny when she get clipped. She prances around the house with her head held high as if to say “Aren’t I gorgeous?” Your experience with your other dog and the snake sounds scary. I’m so glad I don’t live in a region with poisonous snakes. I didn’t know there was such a thing as inoculation against rattlesnakes. Anti-venom for after you get bit, sure. Something to make a potential bite less dangerous? No. I love learning something new.

Janetr okc – Passport! Thanks for the reminder. I’m headed for Canada next week and need to dig mine out. Hope I remember where I put it.

Mia in MI
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Larisa – Can you use a dumbbell as a kettleball? My DDnL#2 told me that the main thing was to keep your back straight when you bend over to pick it up. She was telling me about her kettlebell exercise class that she took – said it was HARD! But good for the belly after she had DDnL#4.
    Lenora, yep you can; hang on to one end with both hands. There are three main things with a kettlebell swing:
    1) yep, keep your back straight
    2) when you lower the weight down and back, between your feet, only go back until your wrists meet your inner thighs. Any farther, and you're stressing your back and making it hard to keep # 1)
    3) don't raise the weight with your arms at all....propel it by pushing your hips forward to stand up, preferably with a bit of snap to your hips. If it doesn't come up that high, don't worry. It will swing higher as your butt muscles get stronger
    And maybe 4) it doesn't have to be a monster weight. The retired Navy SEAL that got me started on them suggested 35 lbs to me. I laughed--not to his face--and started with 15. They worked just fine, and my back was safe.

Here's a really good video for teaching, but also for doing a solid kettlebell swing. There's a verbose intro; the actual demo starts at 1:05

https://youtu.be/GYHbu2LRqD0

Have fun!

Larisa in Seattle
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Larisa ~ A very good video. I had no idea how work with kettle bells. I think using the correct posture would be the biggest problem for me.

Carol
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Larisa ~ A very good video. I had no idea how work with kettle bells. I think using the correct posture would be the biggest problem for me.

It's crucial both to safety and benefit of the exercise. :smile: One of the most important things about working with weights is only doing what you can do with correct form, in terms of both what movements, and how much weight.

There's absolutely no shame in knowing what's not safe for yourself, and choosing something else.
    I will never run again--unless something big and scary is chasing me...but I'm working to swim competitively in my sixties. :wink:

Larisa
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of myself. I am really bad about buying fresh vegetables and then not using them and having to throw them away. REALLY bad. So often I just don't want to bother with preparing food and want something quick and easy. Today after grocery shopping, I came home and prepared ALL the fresh vegetables I bought so all I have to do is eat them! Tonight for supper, lean hamburger and fresh asparagus! (I also hate buying asparagus since I used to pick it for free by the bushel in Idaho!)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just watching Peppa Pig!

Had a wonderful day. Went shopping together this morning and bought lots of things. :D The food shops around here are outstanding as there is a Turkish community and the bakeries, vegetables etc are fantastic. I had a nap after lunch and made mashed potatoes this afternoon to have with DS 's Boeuf Bourguinon. Broccoli.
    I came in just under calories yesterday, but without my exercises today will not quite make it. I did have to have another chocolate nest for my snack, but I was good for lunch.
    Had lots of cuddles with Bea. :D

Cheri, Karen - Many good wishes for the DH job hunting. :flowerforyou:
    Cheri, your crochet is fabulous. Love the colours.

Katla - so happy to hear about your riding proficiency and the luck with the boat.

I agree with the comments on maintaining. It's hard when the excitement is over.

Got to do baths.

Heather UK

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Janetr – I have a door to be hung, new lights for either side of the garage door (there have never been any there- so wiring and a switch), a fence needs attention, a deck to pull up, and pipes under the house that need to be strapped up and maybe wrapped, and I would love to roll some insulation in the roof crawl space. So is he up for it? Oh yeah and thinking about something in the garage to help it look more tidy, maybe some doors on my shelves….

Thanks for the kettle ball video – I did not even know what one looked like – kept meaning to google but had not done it yet… Once my arm is 100% I might try that.

Miriam – Good job – one of my new year’s goals was to lower (maybe to zero) the veggie and fruit waste. I have composted some, but am doing much better! Yeah to us!!!!!

So a bit of catch up from me, I hosted Easter again (if you were here last year you may remember I vowed never again) just 6 this year, but from Friday at noon until Sunday at 10 – the gathering was at 2pm I was still getting rsvp’s I really think it is rude to not rsvp for dinner until the day before or the day of… maybe I am an old fuddy duddy but grrr! However I still want a gathering in the spring at my house, it is the best time in my yard and the slowest time in the business… Easter seems to be a family time (never was for me growing up so I thought it would not be- but live and learn) and here in California no one seems to celebrate May day so in 2017 May 1 is on a Monday so I think I’ll do a pre may day celebration on the Saturday before..ok gals so I’ll google it but what are some hallmarks of a May day celebration?

In Feb. I made dinner for my bookclub and they have asked if I would do it regularly so I am doing it in May and then in August we do a December Christmas potluck, and then I’ll decide about 2017 – they will bring wine and everyone with contribute $5 to dinner…. There is only 6 of us usually so it should be simple enough.. I have leftover turkey from easter (I smoked it) so I am shredding some of that with green chili and will freeze that for enchilada filling for our may dinner, I’ll do a Mexican theme, and in August we’ll eat outside with a BBQ – maybe ribs or fancy burgers. I love to plan in advance and then I can watch sales for the non-perishables and things I can tuck in the freezer. Makes the day easier and spreads the cost out.

Well gotta go it’s a day at the embroidery machines!

Kim from N. California
  • christytoo53
    christytoo53 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Chris and I am hoping that you will let me join this group! I am 63 years young, live in Central Oregon and am having a heck of a time losing weight! I am not overly heavy, just not happy with where I am. I have gained over 10 pounds over the last year since retiring (now we have a too active social life, which doesn't help at all!). I work out regularly but eating and wine are my downfall. I eat mainly healthy but we go out so much it's hard to know exactly what I am consuming (ie: last night out was steak and baked truffle macaroni and cheese. And wine.) I used to belong to a group like this several years ago and it really helped to keep me motivated and I loved the friendships I made along the way.

It may take me awhile to get to know everybody but from my brief look it looks like something that would be good for me. I have been a member of MFP for a couple of months but kind of slacked off for a bit. But now I am back and ready to get to work! Just finished my workout for the day and that always gets me more motivated!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Chris - we'd love to have you! plenty of other oregonions... and at all points in the lifestyle change to better health.
  • lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of myself. I am really bad about buying fresh vegetables and then not using them and having to throw them away. REALLY bad. So often I just don't want to bother with preparing food and want something quick and easy. Today after grocery shopping, I came home and prepared ALL the fresh vegetables I bought so all I have to do is eat them! Tonight for supper, lean hamburger and fresh asparagus! (I also hate buying asparagus since I used to pick it for free by the bushel in Idaho!)

Miriam, I am prone to the same problem with fresh vegetables. They look so wonderful and full of promise at the store, then at home they transform into extra work at dinner. Yesterday I went to the new FreshThyme store in town, they are a commercial "farmers market" type store while carrying all sorts of healthy, mostly organic items. I came home with too much. I ground my own peanut butter, payed for by the pound it was cheaper that the store brand, with nothing in it but the peanuts! Soooo Good, Now I have another food in the house to avoid, LOL. I understand the reluctance to purchase asparagus, I'm dying for some and passing it up at the store, waiting for mine to come up.

So I haven't gotten my steps in for a couple of days, my fibromyalgia kicked in after the vacation trip ( I knew it would). Have been doing a lot of resting and feeling guilty about not exercising. Today got up and went for a walk, 40 minutes at brisk pace, it is sunny and 60's here, a pleasant day if a little windy. Tired of being sore,am fighting it!

This is the week for my paternal grandparent's birthdays. They have been gone a long time now, but I never stop missing them. They were wonderful grandparents who truly shaped who I am today. I only hope someday my granddaughters will say the same for me.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, ladies, and keep up the good work!

Lora in Indiana
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Had no internet service for the better part of the day, so I had some reading to catch up on. We are having a Party Like a Rockstar Day at daycare. Kids came with their best "rocker" clothes and hair (mohawks and chalk painted). I am dressed in my new black and white aztec patterned leggings, with a ripped t-shirt, bandana, etc. Fun day! Busy day!

Miriam- You got it girl! Buy your veggies then prep them when you get home. I usually leave mine out on the counter while I unpack and put away groceries so I don't forget to prep. Not only am I much more inclined to eat them, but I have noticed my dh and dys are more inclined to grab a salad, or veggies to snack on if it is all ready for them.

Here is a good bit of news: As my son was getting ready for work this morning, he asked me if I would help him figure out a healthier meal plan and show him some good lunches he can pack so that he is not eating so much fast food. He also offered to walk with me in the evenings. I am typically NOT an afterwork exerciser, unless it is swimming; but for this kid...I will do it. He is 6'5 and weighs just over 300 pounds, so if he could lose at least 50, he should be quite comfortable.

Whoops! Kiddos waking up. gotta go. Love and hugs!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,067 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Carol I had a torn retina. How painful it is to repair depends on where it is on your eye. The reason it is important to repair is it lessens the chances of a detached retina. I am sure she told you if it looks like a curtain coming down and you no longer can see out of that eye to go immediately to an emergency room. Then major surgery needs to be done. In the meantime before the repair be careful not to lift heavy objects, run, jog, or bend over if at all possible. She gave you good advice and I understand why she wanted to do it ASAP.

I am sorry you are having so many health concerns and job at once. Take care.

Cheri gorgeous!

:heart: Margaret
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday, I SEEMED better, was out in the car and everything. Then had a bad night up at 12, 3, 4 am and generally coughing until my head spun. So when my dear husband woke me up at 7 am I was less than enthusiastic about getting up for TOPS meeting. I had found a spot that didn't make my throat tickle and I wasn't moving! On the good side all the times I did get up I blew my nose until the cows came home! My dear husband has told me to ration the toilet paper now, until the 1st of next month. WHAT? lol He even passed by my TOPS meeting place and told them I wasn't going to make it today. I didn't even tell him to do that.

Being the "Sunshine Lady" of the TOPS group, (sending out b'day cards, get well cards etc.), I had 3 cards for members to sign so I had to get those in the mail today, with apologizes for why no one else had signed it. Hey reality happens when you are busy making plans right?

I have an appointment to see a dermatologist tomorrow, which should be interesting with my cold still in full bloom. It's just a new patient appointment so nothing should really be happening just a intro into option treatments. Hopefully it's near where my primary doctor is, so then I can get a coffee and play the piano. That will make me feel better.

Had to call a TOPS friend yesterday and opt out my son for some handy work she needed done. I need to stop volunteering my son out to people thinking he will be OK with whatever. My friend needed to have someone carry bags of pellets (for her pellet stove) from the bed of her truck into her garage. Each bag is only 40 lbs, but I think she is getting 1 ton (which is 50 bags). I didn't realize HOW much it would actually be, and my son said, "I can't do that!" I agree sadly, and felt bad about volunteering him for the job, (she was going to pay him $25). My son has his own life and I need to respect that. At 17 yrs old, he can be so touchy about things!

He has been helping me with dinner prep, which is cool. We made breaded cube steak and Rice-A-Roni fried rice last night. We organized the different dipping containers, flour mixture, egg mixture, bread crumbs mixture. He had fun dipping each piece in it, me laughing at him trying to snag the cube steak with his fork. Kept telling him to use one or two tines and prick the corner of it to lift them off. He was getting really into it, and even checking on them periodically in the oven, after we fried them in the pan. My little chef.

Well sun is calling my name today, so I will warm up my sinuses and kill my cold that way!
    (no worries I shall use some quilts so I don't offend the neighbors)

Becca
    the sick nudist in
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,591 Member
    Options