I started this past week. What I will be doing in April:

* weight training 3x week
    * exercise 6 days per week, minimum 30 minutes, average 1 hour
    * keep carbs under 100
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The neighbor girl politely declined Leo's offer to hug his grandparents, but you can BET he got one himself!

Sending good thoughts for your swift recovery, Sylvia. I had a very small stroke myself a few years ago and it hasn't had any long-lasting negative effects. On the contrary! It was useful as a swift kick in the backside telling me I have to take my own health seriously.

It did mean I had to stop driving for 3 months (I feel for you Michele!) but luckily I spent most of that time in Longyearbyen where you can get along just fine without driving.

I forgot who wrote about snow mixed with rain and/or rain mixed with snow. Norwegian actually has a specific word for that type of weather: sludd. Even Swedish doesn't have a single word for the phenomenon, though we get a lot of it here too. Have you learned that word yet, Heather? It's used frequently in Norway, and can unfortunately come in handy in Longyearbyen in June. (Just don't tell your husband!) >:)

Today we had lunch with our daughter and her fiancé, who defended his PhD thesis on Friday. A thesis defense is open to the public in Scandinavia, so we were there and saw the whole thing. He passed with flying colors and got a couple job offers on the spot. We're not one bit surprised. He's that kind of person. Things will probably move fast now, but he won't rush into anything. First he will decide what he wants to be "when he grows up".

We had our lunch at good fish restaurant in a mall and after we parted, my husband and I went to a store dedicated entirely to clothing from a design company whose style I like. (And that suits me AND my figure! Imagine that!) My husband waited patiently while I looked around and gathered dresses and tried them on, with my husband commenting from time to time. I'd estimate it took 45 minutes, maybe more. In the end, we bought two things and walked away amicably, him carrying the bag. I remarked that after living together for over 40 years, we've finally learned how to shop together. I praised him for now being able to sit down and wait in a way that doesn't make me nervous, and he commended me for actually being able to decide to spend money on something nice for myself. B)<3
    /Penny not at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've missed a few days. Was in the hospital again for blocked colon, then some other stuff happened. Very small stroke. I lost a couple of whole days somewhere. Home now but still very tired and sore. Some limited movement on right side, but they think it will come back. Hard to hunt and peck with left finger.

Take care.

Sylvia

Dear Sylvia, so sorry to hear of your recent medical problems. Love, good thoughts and big hugs for you.

Janetr okc
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lori ~ Yes - I have tried the Genie bras. But, I think the ones I had shrunk. So I just ordered another one online that is supposed to be "cooler" for summer weather. Hope it works.

I am a retired 5th grade teacher. The last years I taught my concentration was in science. I also taught Eng., Social Studies, and Reading. Math was my downfall.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,250 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - Oh wow! My very best wishes to you. :love: :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • trailgirl777
    trailgirl777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    April! I made my March goal of staying off online gaming & day 39 today! First time in 6 years. Starting to get enough focus back to start watching my calories again. Did not gain any & only lost abit! Apparently it takes at least 90 days or more to detox a hardcore gamer like myself. So April goals
    - continue detox & support of others as we do the 90 day challenge
    - Stay focused on limits / I faithfully log but need to do better at limits
    - Do more exercise
    - Daily meditation to quiet the mind

Cris in too sunny for me Pacific Northwest
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Chris , great job. You've done s fantastic job. Keep it up.

Janetr okc
  • SugarBiscotti
    SugarBiscotti Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I would like to join this group! I have just been fighting off the flu, and my goal is to get back to a healthy fitness routine, walk 10K steps a day, do my weight training program, and cut back on screen time in favour of real time!
    I'm glad spring is here because I plan to be riding my bike and walking outside.

Current weight: 185
    Goal weight: 165
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Margaret - I'm a substitute teacher as well and I'm trying to learn from your posts. Thank you.

Day 3 of the Squat Circuit Challenge complete and tomorrow is a rest day. I forgot to note who said they can't do it because of her knees, but you are right to avoid it, not wussing! I find that challenges help me to stay on track, so I especially like to start them if I've been slacking.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,572 Member
    Options
    morning peeps-

grits - as in everything, you will get different opinions on every subject regarding every exercise on everything. it is up to each individual to make that (hopefully) educated decision whether to do something what may be considered controversial or not. if you look at my daily stats, u see i don't use them every day and if i use the weights it's not for the entire distance. 1# weights aren't much but i feel i am getting benefit from that and that's all that matters. another thing that i bet i am the only one in this group that runs or uses five finger vibram shoes (what i call monkey), that is also controversial. everyone has to make their own informed decision and i have make mine.

a lot of interest already on my bike that i listed for sale. !

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Sylvia ... So sorry to hear you're having health problems! Praying for a complete recovery.

Cris ... Congratulations on abstaining from gaming!

Margaret ... Thank you for your thoughtful reflections on the book you're reading.

Penny ... Cute grandson story! Do you pronounce "sludd" like we say mud? Or is the u a long u? Unfortunately, Buffalo sees this type of weather into May!

Kimses ... As I'm refocusing my efforts, I've decided to start with my diet and then reintroduce the exercise I know I'll need. Truly, there's no way to exercise off sugar binges!!

Looking forward to my husband and son getting back from Nashville. They're going to drive straight through if weather permits. It's easily a 12 hour drive with rest stops.

Have a good day ladies!

Beth near Buffalo
  • PatriciaNeves2015
    PatriciaNeves2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm a newbie to MFP. Explored it a year ago, but now feel I am determined to stay with the program of eating "correctly" and staying with an exercise program.

I'm a retired elementary teacher, working part time in reading intervention which I love. I also am passionate about gardening, cooking with an international flair, dogs (have a boxer and a boston rerrier), art, and reading for starters.

My goals for this week are:
    Eat three "appropriate" meals a day at regular times!
    Exercising at least 4-5 times during the week.
    Starting yoga once a week.
    Doing pilates from my cd and book.
    Tracking food and exercise!

I need help in keeping accountable!

Thanks, and happy Spring Sunday from Houston, Texas!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,250 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cris - Great job! You are doing brilliantly. :flowerforyou:

New people - WELCOME! I have been at maintenance for 2 yrs 3 mnths. I log every day still. Just at the moment, because of strenuous grandparent duties, I have let 2 lbs creep back on. THEY SHALL BE GONE! This business is for a lifetime.
    I originally lost 57 lbs over 18 months. I am keeping it off by exercising every day. I am 66 with various joint problems, but have found things that work for me. I invested in some machines in our spare bedroom, which have been the best investment I ever made. It's never easy, but it is SO worth it. :bigsmile:

Prawn, coconut and mustard curry tonight with sugar snap peas. I use frozen coconut. :)

Sylvia - I am thinking of you a lot. <3

Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    KalliZigler: You will be happy that you bought measuring tools. :flowerforyou: When I started here I bought a food scale from Amazon at a reasonable price. I also bought restaurant style dishers in 1/4, 1/3, & 1/2 C sizes. They've all been very useful. I have gotten a world of good out of the measuring tools I bought and would do it again. I wonder about the little containers you're talking about. I'm not familiar with them. :huh:

Janet OKC: I won't do squats either. I have bursitis in my left knee and do NOT want to aggravate it. :noway:

Leonora: DD also posts pictures of the grandchildren to facebook and doesn't send them to me. I copy them and store them in a file on my desktop. :grumble:

Penny: "Yesterday a little neighbor girl knocked on the door and wanted to play with the grandkids. They told her they were busy because gramma and grampa were here. Brief pause, then Leo asked: "Do you want to come in and hug them?" :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Heather: We took a Christmas vacation in the BVI about 10 years ago with our kids. It was a wonderful place to go. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: Hugs & Prayers!!! I'm sorry you've had health problems that put you in the hospital. I am so glad you're posting again! :heart: :flowerforyou:

Kimses: I won't be throwing over the gym either. Moving more is essential for me in this journey. I live in rainy Oregon and the gym insures I have a dry place to exercise every day. I also have my bike on a trainer in the garage, but the social aspect of the gym is very motivating. I've made friends there. :flowerforyou:

SugarBiscotti: Welcome. :smiley:

I'm sitting upstairs with DH and watching the river this morning. We've seen lots of fishermen out there, and not all of them are human. This is the spring salmon run. A sea lion was swimming in our marina, right in front of us. It seemed to have moved on but it just surfaced again. It is still there. Those animals are clumsy on land but amazingly agile and graceful in the water.

DH needs to get his fishing license for the year! I got one, too, year before last. It was a waste of money. I doubt I will do it again but it is possible. I don't care for sitting in a fishing boat with no restroom for hours on end. If he wants to fish from the sailboat, I'm willing to go. The sailboat has three essentials--a restroom, a galley (kitchen), and a place to get in out of the sun.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you Sylvia! You will be in my thoughts and prayers today!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks, and happy Spring Sunday from Houston, Texas!

hey Patricia! I'm in the Houston area. I split my time between Tomball and The Heights. I also am an avid reader and love art and gardening.

Marcelyn in Houston.
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Off to the gym. Hate going by myself but doing it anyway. Six pack abs here I come. Lol

Anne from WI
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,722 Member
    Options
    Sylvia~ So sorry you are having health issues you will be in my prayer's~ we missed you..
    I am home.. another almost 4 hours and Taliah's Room just needs to be cleaned.. most of the junk is out and ,now the floors need to be washed with murphys oil soap and we have to get the paint of the hardwood floors, they haven't been redone since they were put in.. and there is no way I am putting any of my money into that, If Tracy and Kyle want to buy dad's house they can put the money in...
    my wireless mouse just cra##ed out so now I need to get a new one.. but right now I am going to take more tylenol and sit for a few minutes and rest.. me who hasn't lived in that house in 32 yrs is the one cleaning it out. but I guess better to do it now that when my dad passes..
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    >:) Having to cut back on all expenses so our home internet has to be disconnected. I'll keep reading when I am places with free WI FI. Until we are gainfully employed, I wish you all the best in health and happiness.

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    Options
    Sylvia (((Hugs)))

Penny we called the mixture sneet here in Minnesota. Snow plus sleet.

Katla loved how you shared your grandkids with neighborhood child.

Interesting observing others reactions to being assertive. A friend wanted to join me at the table I where I sat in church. I told her where I was sitting and then said I will join her after I give condolences to a member who just lost her husband and a daughter the month before. The best friend of my aunt who passed away in September joined us. Needless to say it to me longer to get back to my friend. Another member sitting at the table made comments about how long I left my friend. When I came back my friend was involved in conversation at the table behind me. In the past I might have gotten defensive over the person's remark about keeping my friend waiting. My attitude was my friend took care of herself and I am here now. I'll wait until she is done talking with her friend. It was so freeing to say to myself my friend took care of herself and I felt no guilt over taking extra time with someone who was hurting. It was interesting to watch the other person stop when she knew she would not get a reaction from me, and she did try more than once. NSV.