Why are some people afraid to leave their FOOD diary open?

Options

Replies

• sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Honestly I don't care what people eat. I always want to know how they worked out to get where they are now lol.
  • lockedhart
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this site and never thought about it being private lol.
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    :laugh: Thanx to the OP for starting this..........reading the replies to your nonsense orignal post took my mind off eating the brownies in the kitchen. Although you will never know if i really ate them or not b/c I am one of those people who are "afraid" to let you see what i eat every day:tongue:
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of anything.

However, I am accountable to myself. I don't NEED to be accountable to other people. I know when I don't eat as well as I should, I know I need to get in more exercise, I know when I've eaten too much or too little. I don't need anybody else checking up on me because I'm a mature adult with self-control that can "check up on" and keep track of and stay accountable to myself.

I have a password to my diary. If anybody wanted to see it, and they asked me, I wouldn't hesitate to share the password with them. I don't have anything to hide, but I think getting comments on my food diary are unnecessary because I ALREADY KNOW where I am at, what I need to work on, and where I need to get to.

If I was having problems and wanted advice, I would open it or share the password so people could help me. But I've never needed that. If I ever do, that is what I would do to accomplish that.

If somebody wants advice from me, and get some ideas from my diary and what I eat, then ask me! I have no problem sharing and letting you (whoever you are) see my diary.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Thanx to the OP for starting this..........reading the replies to your nonsense orignal post took my mind off eating the brownies in the kitchen. Although you will never know if i really ate them or not b/c I am one of those people who are "afraid" to let you see what i eat every day:tongue:

HAHAHAHAHA LOVE IT! :bigsmile:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all the replies! I guess I did hit a nerve with some people. Oh well, se la vie!

I choose to leave mine open. I have no hidden agenda and those who choose to look....fine.

As for my profile being open only for friends....just never thought about it being open to the public. That simple.

Yes it is quite simple you called people scared for doing the same thing you are. It is ok for you but others not so much, I would normally call someone that does this a hypocrite but I don't want to be calling anyone names...
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mine is private to keep me honest. If I knew I had people reading it I would be likely to lie about off days. My Diary is to show me what I might be doing wrong. Not to impress, our boost other peoples egos. If people need ideas on what to eat, that's what the forum is for.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    OPEN YOUR FOOD DIARY THEN!!!!

Why make a comment and do exactly the same thing you say drives you nuts. What a load of hot air.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I leave it open because if I didn't, it'd mean that I'm not fully honest with myself and have something to hide.
    Same here. I find it keeps me more accountable if I know others can see what I am eating. That method helped me lose the middle 70 pounds. :wink:
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ive seen peoples food diarys get posted on the message boards just to be picked apart.Mines open now,but I closed it for awhile because I had random a**holes sending me messages about not eating my exercise calories,or eating proccesed foods,or how I shouldnt drink blah blahh blah closing it was much easier than telling each and every one of them to *kitten* off
    JUST LIKE I TELL MY KIDS, IT MAKES SOME PEOPLE FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEM SELVES TO PUT OTHERS DOWN, DONT LET A BULLY RUIN YOUR GOOD TIME, THERE ARE MORE GOOD SEEDS THAN BAD. I USED TO BE PRIVATE, BUT I NEED TO PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH. ONE OF MY PET PEEVES ARE CLOSED MINDED PEOPLE WHO DO NOT LIKE OR ALLOW ANYONE TO BE DIFFERENT THAN THEM. I WOULD HATE A WORLD FULL OF ME'S. HOW BORING!! OH AND JUST IN CASE THE PEOPLE WHO WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE READING THIS, I LOVE ME SOME PEANUT BUTTER AND SUGAR FREE JELLY SANDWICHES. JUST LOOK AT MY DIARY.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I leave it open because if I didn't, it'd mean that I'm not fully honest with myself and have something to hide.

I'm interested in reading why others do it differently.

Edit: I see a lot of people closing it to avoid unsolicited advice/criticism. That would drive me up the wall as well...

I wasn't going to say it as well put as this, but mine use to be public but as my eating habits started getting worse I closed it. I can tell how good I feel about what I'm eating by how I would feel if it was public.

There have also been posts where people post about other peoples diaries and that causes a lot of closed ones. I know there was one HUGE one that went to a bunch of pages and got shut down and I know a lot of people closed there's after that.
  • astilson33
    astilson33 Posts: 52
    Options
    Well this is my first day on this site so i'm not even sure if mines open or closed !!! lol But i'm gonna check because I don't mind if ya'll see :)
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can sorta see why people would want to look at other people's diaries, but to be upset if they're closed? Seriously?

If you want advice, motivation, food plans etc., that's what these discussion boards are for. Ask away, we'll be happy to tell you what works/doesn't work. If you're going through a bad patch and just don't feel like creating your own food plan and want to copy someone else's, then say so -- I'm not going to judge. What you eat is your business, and what I eat is mine. Just don't flame others just because they prefer to have at least some semblance of privacy.

Is my diary closed? Yes, it is. I've already hit my goal weight, so my sole purpose for joining MFP is for maintenance/endurance training purposes (I'm a long distance runner). I log in my exercise according to my training plan and watch my food intake not as much for the calories I eat, as for the nutritional value of the food I eat (proper ratio of carbs/protein, etc.) My goal to make sure that I am properly fueled to cross the finish line of my next marathon (and eventually ultramarathon). If that's not your goal, then my specific food plan probably won't work for you (especially if you see my carbo loading entries -- yikes!!) If that is your goal, great -- we can start our own message board thread and compare notes.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    If you are my friend you can see it....if you aren't you can't. simple as that. I like to keep my stuff semi private and share with those I want to. Has nothing to do with fear.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Because there are a lot of judgemental morons floating about on here!
    YES THIS!!!! I used to have mine open until a "friend" told me they couldnt give me a "good job today" comment because they noticed something unhealthy in my diary..... its not about being afraid, its because this is MY weight loss and fitness journey. I know if I eat pizza thats bad, I dont need someone to tell me thats bad for me.... No *kitten* its unhealthy!

if you want healthy ideas, choose from the thousands of ideas on the internet and not worry about what I am eating.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Flat out, it's really no one's business what I'm eating, unless I make it their business. So, no offense,
    This, really.
  • ElizabethSami
    Options
    WOW what a thread.....iam not sure if mine is open or not but i really don't login what i eat cause i really don't have the time.

Some people are coming off as really rude...and i love how some say they don't leave their food diary open because of people's comment yet they also have nothing nice to say in this thread. do i look at others food diary? yes at times but i don't do it to be judgemental or be mean, i do it to get ideas and see if what they did will work for me. Aren't we all here to get advice and help for eachother? if not then why are here? I can understand why some are upset by the way the OP started this thread but most of the comments on here really didn't need to be said.

Take your turn with me if you so please.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Mine's set to friends only. Any kind of personal information is valuable to spammers and identity thieves, so it's not a great idea to make it publicly available on the internet. If anyone wants to see it they can send me a friend invite :)

Similarly, my profile is visible only to MFP members. Not much protection as it's trivial to become a member, but it's one extra step.
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Its so funny that this got posted today because I just opened up my dairy yesterday and I've been on here for about 6 months. I've been thinking about opening it for a few days now but wasn't sure if I wanted to open myself up to potential "jerks". I just opened it to my friends. I've been blessed to surround myself with some very inspirational people and believe that they will not judge me or attack me when I have a day that I go over my calories but XXX which I do a few times a month. I have to live this life for as long as God will let me and I have to be able to live in the real world which means that there are going to be days when I don't eat all the best choices and you know what that's okay. My theory is tomorrow is another day.... and as long as the tomorrows keep coming and I keep getting up and living this lifestyle I have chosen my journey will continue. Everyone always needs to remember its YOUR JOURNEY... no one else. You are the one that has to live with your choices and the way they make you feel and influence your life. You are in charge of of your own destiny and all that it holds.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have mine closed Because it's no one's buisness what i eat in a day... a week ... a month or a year!! My husband does not even know what i put into my mouth every day.

I'm not on here to loose weight... It's so i can track my calories and exercise. I'm a little obsessed.......
    but really it's personal choice if ppl want there food shared!