muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!!!

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before and anytime I read it in a forum repsonse, I lose it on that person!!!!!!!!!!!! It drives me BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muscle is more DENSE than fat, therefore it takes up less space. I think the people who actually beleive this need to go back to 2nd grade math and remember that a pound is a pound no matter what it is.

Therefore, theoretically, a person who is 6'0" tall and weighs 185 pounds of solid muscle would be "more compact / take up less space" than a person who is 6'0" tall and weighs 185 pounds of solid fat.

1 cubic inch of fat weighs less than 1 cubic inch of muscle.

So, if people want to express that they are "heavier" because they are more muscled, what's the big deal?

It's semantics really.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    I've posted this before and anytime I read it in a forum repsonse, I lose it on that person!!!!!!!!!!!! It drives me BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muscle is more DENSE than fat, therefore it takes up less space. I think the people who actually beleive this need to go back to 2nd grade math and remember that a pound is a pound no matter what it is.

Therefore, theoretically, a person who is 6'0" tall and weighs 185 pounds of solid muscle would be "more compact / take up less space" than a person who is 6'0" tall and weighs 185 pounds of solid fat.

1 cubic inch of fat weighs less than 1 cubic inch of muscle.

So, if people want to express that they are "heavier" because they are more muscled, what's the big deal?

It's semantics really.

So basiclly muscle weighs more then fat, semantics aside? lol Just pouring some gas on the fire :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    What is "muscle"?
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Yes, contextually most people probably mean per volume unit muscle weighs more than fat. So, for here, it is probably good enough.

However, if you were to use that terminology in a scientific report, without adding this "per volume unit," you would get laughed out of your presentation, when you presented the material for review. It is not quite right to say just, "muscle weights more than fat" and assume implication.

The OP is not quite wrong, although peeved about something beyond his control.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Perhaps your wife has a small palate deformity that makes it difficult for her to form the "s" sound in conjunction with a "p" sound and you are nagging at her for something she has little control over. Maybe she should go under the knife to have this small deformity corrected for your comfort. And while she's there the doctors can remove one square inch of fat and one square inch of muscle, put it on a scale and figure out if they weigh the same.

Well I never thought of that, what a heartless fool I must be? Wait, or maybe,,,,,,, I'm just throwing this out there,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe when I do remind her, she does say, opps you're right and then pronounces it correctly,,,,,,,,, so maybe she can say it right but just doesn't, maybe you are a person, that jumps on any man that happens to say the slightest thing bad about a woman? This is my wife not your girl friend, we have been married for 28 years I think I would know if she had a deformity.

But thanks for your concern over my manners. :wink:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never heard the saying "a pound of muscle weighs more than fat." If it was said that way, of course it wouldn't make any sense. I understand that when it's used in context it means volume because muscle tissue is denser . . . I just assume that it is generally understood that a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of something else.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The same QUANTITY (mass-wise) of muscle absolutely weighs more than fat. Just about any gym you go to will have the nasty looking fake 7 pounds of fat next to the nice lean 7 pounds of muscle.

So... although a pound is a pound, which is true... if you look at the density... that's where the difference lies.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Says Portia...
    Therefore prepare thee to cut off the flesh.
    Shed thou no blood, nor cut thou less nor more
    But just a pound of flesh: if thou cut'st more
    Or less than a just pound, be it but so much
    As makes it light or heavy in the substance,
    Or the division of the twentieth part
    Of one poor scruple, nay, if the scale do turn
    But in the estimation of a hair,
    Thou diest and all thy goods are confiscate.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    What is "muscle"?

it's a sea creature... in the mollusk family :)
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Como?
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    What is "muscle"?

Awesome!
  • Heather75
    Options
    What is "muscle"?

THANK you.
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i don't rant often, but this is just IRKING MY NERVES!!! UGH!!!

if i read the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" ONE.MORE.TIME i will probably scream!!! is anyone else miffed about this widespread misrepresentation for weightloss? i mean WTH?!? A POUND IS A FREAKING POUND. the actual difference is in the volume, or space, muscle and fat occupy. fat takes up more space than muscle. so you could have two ppl with the EXACT SAME weight, but one look much trimmer simply because they have LESS fat.

please baby, please baby, baby, baby PLEASE spread the word! correct your friends and help end the spread of this myth.

only YOU can help prevent the spread of fitness myths!

Muscle does weight more than fat! Obviously if you are overweight is because you are storing more fat. Someone that is lifting weights, their body start to get trimmer and more defined and might keep the same weight; but you're loosing inches and fat at the same time.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    What is "muscle"?

THANK you.

your welcome.. n their weight depends on if you weigh them cooked, raw, and with or without the shell :)
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Says Portia...
    Therefore prepare thee to cut off the flesh.
    Shed thou no blood, nor cut thou less nor more
    But just a pound of flesh: if thou cut'st more
    Or less than a just pound, be it but so much
    As makes it light or heavy in the substance,
    Or the division of the twentieth part
    Of one poor scruple, nay, if the scale do turn
    But in the estimation of a hair,
    Thou diest and all thy goods are confiscate.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOVE THIS!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm not a violent man but this topic makes me all:

1137844-S.gif
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    breathe people, breathe.
  • Heather75
    Options
    I'm not a violent man but this topic makes me all:

1137844-S.gif

I love this. I forgot about it until just now. Thanks!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never heard the saying "a pound of muscle weighs more than fat." If it was said that way, of course it wouldn't make any sense. I understand that when it's used in context it means volume because muscle tissue is denser . . . I just assume that it is generally understood that a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of something else.

Exactly...so maybe those of us that understand that when you compare the weight of any two given substances, you must use volume as the control...are seriously peeved at those of you who say 'muscle weighs the same as fat'...without stating that you mean 1lb vs 1lb. But then again, stating 1lb weighs 1lb...of anything...is sort of redundant...wheras explaing that fat weighs less than muscle...is not.

Hmm...
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    this is so funny.