WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• grammyx23
    grammyx23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Clare, so sorry for your loss. I'll keep you in my prayers. I've been here only a few days but everyone makes me feel welcome. They'll do the same for you.

Update on creepy, lurking troll - he only made the one contact, I attempted to look at profile but it was private, I rejected his friend request.

I think I should explain those 36 quilts since September. I was given 6 garbage bags of "cheater" quilt fabric, quilt patterns printed on fabric. Cut to length, assemble top, batting, backing finish edges and tie. Three days and you have instant quilt. Don't want to lead you on. DVIS is very appreciative of our efforts.

Need my beauty rest. Wishing all my new friends a good night.

Sioux in Tulsa
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    welcome Claire. So sorry about your loss. It sounds like you had one of those wonderful marriages that are what dreams are made of. Keep coming here every day and we will help you and you will find lots of new friends that sit around the table with you every morning an drink your morning with you.

Barbie, glad you found a 'new' pedometer. Sounds like the battery was running out.

Becca, your youngest looks like he is all legs and arms. I don't know how old that last photo was but I see a black rotary phone so it might be an old one. Maybe if you could think of the fact that since you have spent so much of your life in the service, it is your family. So you aren't losing your son, just another part of your family is taking care of him for awhile.

Listening to the news right now and another person has died due to faulty Honda airbag. Be careful ladies.

Went and had my hair cut this afternoon. I knew my appointment should be around now but I didn''t write it down. So I called her and she said it was today! Well the heavens opened up while there. Hail, her lawn chair and table flying around in her yard, it was a mess. So I just stayed there until it was over even though my appointment was over. She has a precious golden doodle who just celebrated her 1 year birthday. Tina was genuinely hurt that none of her family gave Bailey anything for her birthday. To her Bailey isn't just a dog. Her youngest son is getting married and she said she is going to have to get another dog to replace her son.

Joyce, dry in Indiana
  • calefor
    calefor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    jrryzp4w7tzz.jpg

I noticed recently that my pedometer said that I hadn't been walking as many steps as usual even though it seemed that I was walking the dogs as long or longer than in past weeks. At first I thought maybe the pain in my legs had caused me to slow down or change my gait and that's why the steps weren't recording. Nobody cares about how many steps I walk, but the numbers matter to me and are motivating, so it troubled me a lot. Yesterday morning, after two and a half hours of dog walking, my pedometer had counted just over 6,000 steps and I know that in the past, a long walk like that would be way over 10,000 steps. I thought about buying a new pedometer or buying a fitbit with money that I really can't afford to spend. Then Jake remembered that we had an extra pedometer that we bought when he thought he'd lost his. He found it and I set it up. This morning I walked with one pedometer in each pocket and compared the steps after all the morning dog walking and there about a 6,000 step difference, so we threw the old one away and I'm using the one that was in the drawer for a few years. I am so happy.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My pedometer started acting weird & I thought I'd need to buy a new one, then changed out the battery and it was working again as good as new. Hope you check the battery before you throw it away! :)
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the congrats on my exciting progress! I'm really happy about it myself. :smiley:

Michele, I've been doing the TRX at the gym, but I like it so much I may buy a strap for home. I can't afford one this month, so I have plenty of time to decide.

Well, Ladies, I promised I would dish, soo....I've been corresponding with the math professor, and we have an uncanny number of interests in common, and he wants to meet.
    He also wants kids "someday". Ummm? My girlfriend said not to take that too seriously; if it were that important, he'd have made it happen by now--or more likely, 10 years ago! I just think it's not a great sign. :confused:

Larisa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: People do go in the water at the beach here despite its cold temperature. There are hardcore surfers that will spend hours out there. I'm not into freezing my bippy, but I do occasionally wade a bit at the edge of the water or through shallow streams. My cousins and I used to jump waves when we were kids. The water would be between knee and hip deep. It was COLD. :noway:

Our furniture rearrangement is showing some less than desirable characteristics but it will do for now. I'm too tired to move anything for at least 24 hours. Tomorrow has a blank schedule so far. Perhaps well just stare at things for a while, and think whether to re-rearrange, or get used to what we created.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Feeling grateful for my loved ones.

clare, welcome and reach out whenever you need to. Your cat knows what you need, and the fact that you want to take good care of yourself is so very important. This is a very supportive group of strong women, read and post as much as you like.

Karen from ny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    morning friends~
    I am up and feeling a bit better, but slept in until 6:45 and didnt get to the gym... I am going up to dads and work on the house.. so that will be my exercise for the day today..
    will check in later..
  • campinggirl888
    campinggirl888 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, just found this page. Seems like it must have been going on for awhile. I'm just coming back to Fitness Pal and hope to stick with it now. I just hit a mini goal and really am happy!
    My April Goals
    -Walk or exercise (Daily Burn) every weekday
    -Maintain current diet which seems to be working for me!
    -Remember to be patient. I didn't gain all this week in a month and it isn't all going to leave in a month!
    -Develop a mindset so maintaining weight loss when I reach my goal is a snap :)
  • grammyx23
    grammyx23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends,
    Hope all had a restful night. My plans for today is to play church secretary. My friend is taking a short trip to Branson with hubby so I'll fill in for her. I trained her so Pastor knows I'm qualified. I dont do much, just answer the phone, let people in the door, play games on the computer. Easy day.
    Heather - hope your phone line woes are resolved. That must be sooooo frustrating.

Every one have a "loosing" day
    Sioux in Tulsa
  • campinggirl888
    campinggirl888 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Help, I posted and then almost lost this page. Is there a way I can make this a favorite and have it easy to find?
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    campinggirl~ up at the right hand corner of where we post is a star ` click on it and it will bookmark this page for you..
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    campinggirl- after clicking on the star that turns yellow; you will need to go to the 'gray' star to actually get the drop-down screen to get to the current month; and, on the last day, Barbiecat will post a 'new' link to take you to the next month. Most of the time, you'll see that there has been a bit of overlap; read them; but, make sure you wait to post to the last page of the new month. When you post and open the site; you'll find that it goes to the last time you have posted (and there might be some posts of others in the meantime ... I usually go back and read them. But, if you post in the box, you cannot go back to a previous box, unless you save the one you are on. What a lot of us do is open a page in our word processing program and 'minimize' them until they are side-by-side. It works in Windows; but, not sure it would work if you use a different WP program. But, I am guessing I it must. Then you can 'cut and paste' it to the newest box so others can see it. One of the reasons you might be losing what you type is that you've possibly hit the touchpad if you are using a laptop. I have to 'manually' disable my touchpad to use my mouse Wish I could have it do it every time I open up the program, but, so far haven't found that yet- on my computer using Windows 10.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    r47u58i5f0xy.jpg

The first thing I tried with my old pedometer was a new battery even though according to my records, the old batter should have lasted a few more months. I have had the old pedometer since the beginning of 2010 and have averaged over 19,000 steps a day for all these years, so it is more likely that it just got tired and worn out. I am very happy to have the one Jake had stashed in the drawer. That was so much better than having to spend money and time to order a new one.

:)Sioux, even if your quilts were made of "cheater" fabric and only took three days to make each one, I'm still impressed....the only part of the process you described that I know how to do is open the bag and take out the fabric, after that, the skills are beyond me.

:)campinggirl, welcome...yes, this thread has been going for a long time, but none of us has been here since the beginning...we all started by posting one day at a time until we started to feel like we'd known each other all our lives.

:) Thank you for being here while I ate my breakfast...now I'll head off with my first dog, my pedometer, several layers of warm clothing, my smart phone loaded with a great audio book, and blue tooth headphones so I can listen to the book while I walk. It's dark now but the sun will be up in less than an hour.

<3 Barbie
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    All things electric have turned against me now. The internet connection is slow and iffy, the lamp in the entry blew a bulb and (worst of all) the Fridge/Freezer is on the Fritz.
    I'll stop using f-words right there. >:)

I put my landlady onto the last of these problems and hopefully it will sort itself out. One of the practical aspects of renting B)

Heather - I wondered at first if that power outage you mentioned might have caused your modem problems. But if the phone line is crackling as well, it must be something else. Or does your phone take its signal from the same transmitter as your modem?

*gah* I hate electromagnetic technical stuff. I prefer implements that work on basic mechanical principles, things I can figure out from just looking at them. I'd prefer a clogged drain any day.

I'm still coughing and headachy and have trouble concentrating after that horrific "cold" I had a couple weeks ago.

Gripe, gripe, gripe.
    End of rant. Call in the sweepers, please.

But the sun has come out and I'm going for a walk. Meeting up tonight with most of the gals in a book circle I started 16½ years ago. :) We kept meeting for years after I moved to Norway but it all petered out when I continued north to Svalbard. Just too far away...
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday! LOL! I just had to get up and go look at my calendar to see if it was actually Thursday! Man, vacations fly by! And my "good morning" greetings are coming later and later in the morning, as my body gets used to not having to get up early. Going to have to change that in a day or two.

Sioux- "cheater" quilts or not; I bow down to your sewing skills and industriousness!
    Clare- So sorry for your loss; and I will echo what all of the other ladies have been telling you, be kind to yourself, take care and give yourself time to heal. Know that we are here for you whenever you need support! Our furbabies are amazing comforters for us, don't you think? Love and hugs, will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers <3
    Katla- got a giggle out of your statement about "freezing your bippy" in the ice cold water; I often see surfers in the lake in the winter and early spring and it brings back memories of the warmer ((50's-60's) days of March, when I was a teen, and laying in the sun in a place sheltered from the wind, then getting so hot and jumping in Lake Michigan to cool down. Pretty sure I wouldn't make it up to my bippy now a days!
    Gloria- Take care! Go to the library often! We will miss you!
    Larisa- Good luck with the professor!
    BArbie- Yea! for the new pedometer! And it does look like a kitty face!
    Becca- Ummm...I think I would love it if my scale talked to me in Sean Connery's voice. It doesn't need to tell me my weight, just compliment me when I hop on. "You look beautiful in the morning!" or "Wow! I better call Moneypenny and tell her I won't be in." We can dream, right?

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to miss a day on here....70 new messages! :) Yikes! I'll start reading backwards and see how far I can get. Problem: my friends you don't wait for a catch-up as I see you all posting while I'm reading!! Love it!

Been under the weather for 4 days now. Ugh. Eating for survival here....saltines, ginger ale, bananas and applesauce.

Have a good one.

Cheri
    oHIo
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Clare sorry for your loss. Hope you find this a safe place to come and share.

DJ wrote:
    'Margaret, good luck today with whichever technique you use. Just remember, “You are older and have better insurance.” '
    love it.

Penny hope you feel better.

nb love the photo you look so happy.

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Clare ... So sorry for your loss...

Welcome...To all the new ladies!

Today my resolution is to stay within my calorie allotment as I have not been coming even close. I am wearing my tightest jeans to remind me should I stray and I have planned healthy choices for today.

Younger son, who had been doing so well with his migraines, is home for the 3rd day. He is angry and frustrated with the situation.

Older son is struggling with his mental health issues.

Husband is overworked, over tired and struggling with a pain issue.

Margaret ... You posted yesterday that you spend so much energy on your son's problems that you don't have time for you (or words to that effect). This resonates strongly with me.

Have a good day ladies!

Beth